Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Possible new member: Mike  (Read 5918 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 07 May 2000, 13:45:00 »

Here's another mail from someone interested in dreaming...

"Hey Art!

Was wondering if you would be open to giving me a valley, a little off the beaten track, to create brownies. I thought of a great way to tie it into your backstory, and it would give people yet another interesting group of people to run into. They could have been made during the war of the chosen by yet another crazy wizard. All I need is a somewhat inaccessable, wooded valley. Nearby civilization is fine, as long as lots of normal traffic doesn't pass through.
What do you think? Do I make the team?

Mike"

[Posted by Artimidor]

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Vaelaron Dalavaga

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2000, 18:30:00 »

Cool idea!  Adding a small area with brownies could certainly add something new to the whole mix.

Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2000, 02:16:00 »

The gnome is a bit surprised. I never heard of brownies, I think...
Anyone who is so polite as to tell me what they are? I'm interested in them.

Are they dangerous? Ugly? Beautiful? Do they like gnomes or despise gnomes?

Xaron the annoying

Mike

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2000, 04:46:00 »

Hi everybody!
Brownies are basically The Little People that you read about in old fairy tales.
I'm thinking 6 inches tall sounds about right (15 cm) some would go with 9 in (22 cm)
They tend to distrust big people. Not found in Tolkien, but are in the same type
of fantasy category. Best example in a movie is "Willow", there are two brownies that follow
the halfling around. I'm thinking of deleloping my own style of brownie, instead of
directly borrowing from anyone else....more interesting that way.
I've read everything on this site except for the actual stories, and it looks like a
really cool project. Looking forward to getting to know you guys.
Mike

Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2000, 11:21:00 »

The gnome smiles.
"You and your Brownies are welcome. I wonder if I could meet some. Know there character, habits, lifestyle and all that. I may meet, you know, since I'm a member of the small-folk... Not a hobbit, but almost the same size, a gnome."

Xaron the annoying

Grey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2000, 06:22:00 »

There was not a whisper of sound as a snowy-white owl alighted expertly on the
lowest branch of the tree next to Xaron. A miniscule figure clad in soft
grey mouseskin, with a tiny bow and quiver slung over his shoulder, slid down the
owl's flank, swiftly tied its jessies to the tree, and lept lightly down to the
ground. He looked up in shock at the enormous figure towering over him.
"Y-y-you must be one of the Big People?", he asked, gazing up in awe. "You're
even bigger than I imagined!". Then, remembering himself, he walked up to
the gnome and, bowing deeply, said with an archaic accent, "It is my pleasure
to meet you, honourable sir. My name is Greybark Ferretmaster, Ambassador
of the brownies. I have come with the express purpose of renewing contact
with members of the Large Folk such as your honourable self. I humbly request
the honour of making your aquaintance"

(note from Mike: I don't really know exactly what a Gnome is either....I kinda
always thought of them as weak dwarves. Perhaps you can explain for me as
well?)
Mike a.k.a
Greybark Ferretmaster
P.S. I realize Gnomes are small.....but look at it thru the eyes of a 6 inch/15 cm person.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2000, 12:07:00 »

Well, everything is relative, isn't it?

But isn't it sweet, this conversation, the meeting of the races? I never thought very much of gnomes and probably have already stepped on some brownies - but you just have to like them both!

BTW, little Greybark: Some information for the member section would be nice - I then can add you to our Team page:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2000, 14:10:00 »

As you look at this gnome, you can see he is smaller and slimmer than a dwarf, and a huge blade (a short sword, the size of his underarm) is at his side. He has a dark, almost black face and his deep-black eyes twinkle as he looks somewhat surprised at you. He wears a green robe, and while you came flying, you could see that at the green cape he wears bears the sign of a yellow eagle.

"I never imagined nature could make so small people as this refined figure that suddenly comes to my acquintance... Welcome, Sir Ferretmaster, I am surprised that you and your people have destined me as a representative of the small-folk. I can offer thee some bread and water, my traveling ration, but I doubt wether I have a cup to do the water in, or a plate to put the bread on..."

The gnome suddenly starts to search his traveling equipment, mumbling some words that can barely be heard. Suddenly, a "Got it!" makes you understand that he found what he searched for.

"I have a plate, a bread and a cup on my own size, but a but of this scroll might serve a plate for thee, then there remains only the problem of a mug. Thou would by chance not carry one thyselve?"

(Answer on y'r note: Gnomes are not just weak dwarfs, they also like magic while dwarfs despise it, don't live underground and are more florid. They can get to an age of 250 years.
Xaron, in particular, has been raised by Wood Elves, which is why he is a good archer and why he fights with his short sword as if 'twas a long sword (slashing instead of thrusting and countering his opponent's hits). when he came to the age of 47, he learned the arts of magica from a High Elve)

Xaron the annoying

Grey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2000, 11:12:00 »

China flag
Member #22
[Grey]

English Name/Chinese Name/Pseudonym: Mike Cogan/Ke Yong Guang/Greybark Ferretmaster, Brownie Ambassador
Height: 154 millimeters
Weight: 52 grams
Date of birth: July 15th, 1972
Profession: Christian Minister
Languages: English (native), Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese Chinese
Nationality: USA
E-mail: mikonet@geocities.com
Websites: travel.to/mikonet ; www.h2g2.com/U112212
Favorite book: The Bible; anything by Judson Cornwall; anything imaginative
Favorite musician: Drop the Bomb Productions ; Nitro Praise
Favorite game: (varies)
Hobbies: reading ; hanging out with friends ; movies
Santharian Profession: Ideas & Writing
Joining date: May 10th, 2000

Edited by Grey at: 5/9/00 7:17:29 pm
Grey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2000, 07:56:00 »

"What sort of traveler would I be if I did not bring my own utensils?" Greybark asked, gratefully handing a thimble-sized cup to Xaron, and climbing up to get other utensils out of the owl's saddlebags.

Greybark
P.S. Did I put my member info in the right place?

Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2000, 12:14:00 »

The gnome replies, and then after a pause: "You see, I am used, when inviting people, to hand them utensils, as a sign of friendship and to show them they are welcome."

The gnome takes the cup, and tries to do his best filling it without spilling water over the edge. Which is quite hard, as you can imagine. "I am sorry, I don't have any wine or other drinks except water. I didn't know that I would have visitors... I do have bread and meet with me. Maybe thou wishes to taste something?"

The gnome takes a big bread and some meat, wrapped in cloth. One of the several papers in his bag pops out, and you notice big letters in an unknown writing... Gnomisch writings? Then you notice the several black spots on his dark fingers, ink.
The gnome follows your eyes, and explains "I have just finished some notes for my journal."

Xaron the annoying

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2000, 12:33:00 »

"Ah! What have we got here!" A deep voice comes from out of nowhere and a greyhaired man steps forward. "A gnome and a traveller having meal together! What a lovely company - aren't they sweet? [If the camera would have been already invented I'd take a photograph now...] However, may I introduce myself, Artimidor my name and I've come from Santhala to thank this little gnome for his lovely letter he wrote yesterday. Thanks, Xaron! You've done a value contribution to our Compendium!

But I see that by chance I also make the acquaintance of the other man I haven't met so far, namely Greybark himself! Thanx also to you for your information about yourself. It's ok where you put it and I will integrate it as soon as I can!" He slaps [hope this word isn't wrong in this context] him on his shoulder.

"So! Some more bread to spare, Xaron, for some humble scholar?"

Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2000, 14:57:00 »

The gnome takes a mug and starts filling.
"Bread and meat I have for thee, I am glad my letter arrived safely."
He now hands over some bread and meat to Artimidor on a tin plate and nods as to inivite you to sit down (on the ground).

"Sir Greybark, thou knowest Sir Artimidor Federkiel? A wise sage and a source of lore in all matters concerning either Santharia and history. I don't think thou hast the pleasure of acquintance already?"

The gnome takes a sip from his mug and continous: "Ah, Sir Greybark, I saw an expression of surprise when I mentioned the letter, or was it my imagination? The letter was a reply, to one written by Sir Artimidor, who asked to share him a little of my knowledge conserning Gnomes. Maybe, thou art interested as well, to tell other Brownies what Gnomes are, though I doubt if you have any interest on that matter. And a letter I write, would be so big that I doubt... But please, let me fill thine cup again."

Xaron the annoying

Grey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2000, 02:42:00 »

"Just the person I needed to find", Greybark said, after picking himself up from the backslap and bowing,
"I would be happy to write for the Compendium (note: brownie info should be in your inbox). I also have the books of our history, and our legends with me...They may be in print too small for you to read, however - is there a place in your collected works for a picture of the world as seen through our eyes?", the Brownie finished, looking up expectantly.
note to Xaron: Who ever said nature made the Brownies? <EG> See forthcoming compendium reference :)  

Edited by Grey at: 5/11/00 5:31:20 pm
Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2000, 11:04:00 »

"note to Xaron: Who ever said nature made the Brownies? <EG> See forthcoming compendium reference"
What do you mean with this? I can't place it.
If I said such thing, could you please point out where?

Xaron the annoying

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]