Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ultima Online Freeshard (Update)  (Read 4289 times)
Valandriel

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 08 May 2001, 14:26:00 »

Hail folks!

I have some good and bad news. Which one first? *g*
Okay the bad ones first:

We have some problems to get the Server within the next months (have to save some money first), so i decided to build up the server on my local machine at home within the development phase.
The ADSL line comes in mid May or in the end of May.
That were the bad ones.

Now to the good ones.
It seems, that there is a group of "hackers", which are programming some tools to make the place for The map greater, to insert new Graphics and new Models for the races. I am in contact with this group, and they think, they can make a beta in mid June. Details comes later ...
Also there ist a new Domain Santharia.de where you will read all the news starting in mid June (why so late? i just programming a community software, with wich i can do all things easier).
In the beginning of the development Phase i can give some of you a guest account, but don't expect so much ;)  (ADSL is not so fast)
But it should handle up to 10 or 20 accounts at the same time at a responsible speed (up to 384 kb/sec).

Phew that's all for now.

Farewell

Valandriel

P.S.: sorry but my english is a bit rusty (right word? in german it called eingerosted)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2001, 14:58:00 »

Hello again!

Nice to hear from you again, Valandriel... Well, see it positive: Delays always are a good opportunity to look forward to things for some more time... *hehe* Also good to see that the German domain is already working, although the site could bear a bit more content sooner or later... *vicious grin* :evil

Just keep us up to date and we'll be gladly following the progress in the German Santharia;)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valandriel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2001, 03:13:00 »

It's me again!

Just wanna give ya all an update. DSL Line is ordered, but it takes a long time to get (damn Telekom).
So i have to wait (so as you ;)  ).
I'll drop a line, if there are some news.

Bye

Cordoban

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2001, 05:49:00 »

ok, is there some FAQ I can read on this subject? it sounds good (rpg online, santharian world, etc) but I don't have the Ultima online game, and don't really know a lot about it.. would I have to pay to play it online (monthly fee?) on the santharia.de server? forgive my ignorance..

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2001, 12:06:00 »

Thanx for the update info, Valandriel!

Hmmm... I'm no UO expert either, but I guess that you don't have to register at Origin to play on an own sever. At least I think that Valandriel mentioned this somewhere. Hope he can clarify this. Also don't know if you can buy an English version and play on a German server without any problems... The game itself however is pretty cheap here in Austria: You get a bugget package of 20 top games including UO for the price of one brand new game (at least it is 4 years old), so I guess it wouldn't be wrong if I'd buy such a game package:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2001, 01:47:00 »

you lucky... ;)
german, huh? afraid not for me... :(  

Valandriel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2001, 04:08:00 »

I'll try to write a FAQ ;)

Santharian Shard FAQ v0.1

1. What is an Ultima Online Freeshard?

Ultima Online is originally made by Origin Systems.
It is a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG). You can nearly do anything, you can do reallife in this game.
Some guys thought about making a server software, so that some fans of Ultima Online could make their own worlds. On the original Servers from Origin are many people playing at the same time, but the aspects of roleplaying are missing. That's why so many free shards are online.

2. Why making a new Shard?

The most Freeshards uses the original World maps and graphics. That's in my oppinion very boring ;)
We want to make a complete new world. With new Maps, graphics, races and so on.

3. What do i need for playing on that shard?

If you want to play on the original servers you'll need the CD with the client. For playing on our shard, you only need the client files (ca. 15 MB for the initial release and then up to 1 MB per update, if there are any bugs *lol*) we'll publish on server start.

4. What it will cost?

Nothing.
It is a free public server. And it would be illegal, if we earn with this server some money ;)
Origin don't allow this. But we will try to decrease the costs with some advertise banners on the website. Also we maybe have a sponsor for the connection line (the company i work for ;)  )

5. Is the Shard only for germans?

First we develop the german client only. As soon as we go into the Test Phase, we'll translate the german client files to english, so that other nationalities can play on our shard. We don't know, if we can translate the ingame messages into english too. I'll drop some lines later.

I think that's all for now, and sorry for my awfull english ;)

Valandriel

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2001, 20:28:00 »

Only 15 meg, hmmm? might be worth a try....*****Greybark feverishly prepares a pointless spreadsheet that he can switch to if anyone looks over his shoulder :)*****

Looking forward to the English one.....almost curious enough to try the German one by guesswork and figuring out words that are close to English :)

And 'Driel....your English is fine.

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2001, 06:55:00 »

First off is this for the newest ultima asension or is it for the old ultima?

Was the server software your planning on using developed by origin or developed by a 3rd party group such as sphere.

And do you have the programming resources to add a limited bandwidth auto download feature.  (basically making it so that new creatures can be downloaded in the background)

I may be mistaken on this but I think ultima was a few hundred megs rather than 16 or so.  If it's the old ultima online version anyway.  They use bitmap sprites for the graphics and animations so the file sizes are much bigger than an equilvalent 3d model.

If someone wants to play a free shard the best bet is to get a copy of an expansion pack which last I knew was being distributed for about $5 shipping.  But they charged like $40 or so for one that included the ability to play the game online if you don't already have an accout.  That means that with a free shard you can get the $5 copy and play the free game instead of the live one.

I think your hackers have a big job in store for them with expanding the map.  The map is stored both server and client side.  Meaning they will have to create a patch to patch all existing copies connecting to your server before people can play, in addition to that you will need to run a patch server to detect people's verison and distribute the patch to them.

I havn't been involved with ultima for a couple years now so some issues may have changed.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2001, 08:24:00 »

The game Valandriel wants to realize is a free shard of "Ultima Online", a game which is now more than 3 years old. Therefore they still will use 2D-sprites instead of 3D graphics - and the game will be in German. BTW: "Ultima Ascension" (Ultima IX) of which you speak is only a single player game - with one of the best (though very buggy) 3D engines and it was destroyed by the critics for the bugs and the complete lack of a unique story of which the former Ultimas were famous for. The graphics are still the best I've ever seen on a computer. In case you don't know already: "Ultima Online II" was designed as a 3D version of "Ultima Online" featuring aside from medieval characters also futuristic cyber-beings etc. and the project... not very surprising... was stopped and will not be finished.

As for technical issues: I don't know about the resources Valandriel has, and how he plans everything in detail. We're still waiting for his installation of the game server, but there were several delays lately, so we just have to wait and see what becomes of the project...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/30/01 3:25:29 pm

Valandriel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2001, 03:31:00 »

Hail thee!

Little bit late, i know ;)  
So here is the next Update:

I will try to answer all the questions you have.

1. Client Files only 15 Megs?

Yes, but compressed of course ;)  
If you decompress them they will take ca. 120 Megs.

2. Game in german?

No only the Client will be in german (at first). We want to publish an english one too, but in the development phase there will be a german one.

3. Is this the Ascension game?

No. It is based on Ultima 7 i think. Origin programmed on Ultima Online 2, but they cancelled the Development 3 weeks before the first Beta Tests. This was a cool 3D Version of this game, but they won't develop it anymore.

4. Patching and Updates

Of course we will add a Patch wizzard, so you don't have to download the 15 to 20 Meg file every time.
On several milestones we will publish a General Update for the new Users.

Ok. Now to my Update :

My DSL Line should be connected in the end of Juli (I hope it ;)    ).
After the connect i need 2 or 3 weeks, to build up a Web Site. The Name will be www.santharia.de and it will be in 2 languages (German and English).

So that's all for now. I'll drop some lines, if there are some new news (*g* funny sentence *g*).

Farewell

Valandriel

P.S.: Someone has a cool Links, where i can get a cool picture of an elven for this board?

Edited by: Valandriel  at: 7/9/01 3:58:13 pm
Valandriel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2001, 08:59:00 »

I think i have a cool one ;)  

Thanks anyway

P.S.: Barbarian Worrior for an elven? *bg*

Edited by: Valandriel at: 7/9/01 4:02:50 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2001, 10:17:00 »

Hello again, Valadriel! I see you're back again:)  Hope there are no further delays...

BTW: Santharia is also going to cooperate with the World of Sorren soon (www.sorren.com) where webmaster Nate will try to develop a 3D game based on Santharian ideas - just to keep you informed. If you want to know more about the project, you should check out the Sorren Forum you can find here at the Message Board...

P.S. Nice pic - and keep us informed!

Valandriel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2001, 08:31:00 »

Yes thanks.

Just visited the Sorren Projekt. Not much Information, heh? ;)
But anyway, i make this shard as soon as my line is connected.
The server is installed allready. A nice Patch Programm is there too (hard work to find a good one with an auto update funktion over Internet ;)  )
AND i have 2 weeks holiday in August, so i have some time to push the development. *g*

Farewell

Valandriel

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]