Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jobs for the masses  (Read 6112 times)
selonious

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 28 November 2005, 00:35:00 »

Hi all you wonderful people :p
just wondering if you are interested in me posting a list of almost 90 non adventuring jobs. such as blacksmith,animal breeder, and cooper to name just a few.

"Wizards first rule people are stupid. They believe any lie as long as they want to believe it or they are afraid its true."  
Terry Goodkind from the sword of truth series.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2005, 02:48:00 »

Hmm... We have a list with various professions on the RPG board already, but if you say "non-adventuring" jobs this would be for the dev side than role playing people. Don't know if helps in a way, but just post right away and let's see if they help for inspiration:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
selonious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2005, 12:09:00 »

okay here goes.
i know its not a complete list if you have some more go ahead and list them here
This would be more for refrence than any thing els.

Common Jobs From A to Z
A

Actor/Actress:  People who perform for an audience and act out stories written by a Play Wright. Usually in a Theater or a tavern with a stage.
Armorer:  A person who makes and repairs all types of armor.
Alchemist:  A person who mixes different herbs and substances for specific purposes I.E. Changing lead into gold.
Animal Trainer:  A person who trains animals such as war horses or preforms animals
Animal Breeder:  A person who breads animals for a specific result. (More speed stamina etc..)
B

Brick Maker:  A person who makes clay or mud bricks used in construction.
Beggar:  A person who begs in the street for spare change.
Brewer:  A person who makes ale and beer for the taverns and inns.
Bodyguard:  A person who guards another from attack or theft for money
Brick Layer:  A person who lays brick in precise rows, straight and level for houses and public buildings. He can also make fireplaces and ovens etc...
Bouncer:  A person who maintains order in bars taverns and inns throughout Santharia.
Bar tender:  A person who serves drinks usually paid in tips and a percentage of the take.
Baker:  A person who bakes bred and other flour based objects.
Bow Maker:  A person who makes bows.
Black Smith:  A person who works steel into useful items usually not weapons as this is a specialization in the craft. He can make weapons if he needs to but usually a Black Smith works on plowshares horseshoes and other domestic items.
C

Cloth Dyer:  A person who dyes cloth in a myriad of shades and hues.
Cobbler:  A person who makes shoes boots and other foot wear.
Cook:  A person who cooks.
Cabinet Maker:  A person who makes items for the home from cabinets to wardrobes.
Cooper/Barrel Maker:  A person who Makes barrels from small casks to large water barrels for ocean going ships.
Carpet Maker:  A person who weaves thick thread and yarn into carpets for people. A carpets price is measured by three things: 1. the quality of the starting materials  2. the amount of time it took to weave   3. the detail in the patterns of the carpet
City Guard:  A person who patrols the streets and walls of a city to protect the city's inhabitants from within and without.
Carpenter:  A person who Builds and repairs homes, barns, and public buildings made of wood.
Clay Farmer:  A person who digs clay out of the ground usually for a brick maker or a pottery plant
D

Distillery: To distill alcohol from grain and other sources to make different spirts
Director: A person who directs actors and controls them in the Productions written by the Playwrights.
E

Engineer: A person who uses math to figure out how to build, aim, and maintain siege equipment old and new and even make their own. Also used in figuring out how to build other things useful if you want to keep the ceiling above your head.
F

Farmer: A person who grows grain, fruits, or vegetables to sell at a market somewhere.
Ferry Man/Woman: A person who operates a ferry to move people across a river or lake.
Fletcher: A person who makes arrows and crossbow bolts
Fruit Seller: A person who works for a farmer or the farmer himself who has an orchard and fruit trees. They set up their stalls in towns and villages.
Food peddler: A person who cooks food and sells it at bizarres and markets The convenience makes up for the price.
G

Gold Smith: A person who uses gold to make jewelry and other items of value
General Outfitter: A person who sells dry goods and things needed for camping and traveling around.
Glass Maker: A person who makes clear and colored glass for windows.
Glass Blower: A person who makes bottles and other items by blowing and "turning" glass
Glass Sculptor: A person who sculpts glass usually has ben trained as a Glass Blower. Using color and different tools to pull and stretch the semi molten glass into fantastic shapes where it hardens and becomes a delicate crystal sculpture. This is a time consuming process and their is no grantee one of these will be sold, therefore most sculptors are also blowers.
H

Hunter: A person who hunts animals for food or their pelts to make money
Hat Maker: A person who makes hats
Herbalist: A person who uses herbs to heal illness and disease

I

Iluminator: A person who makes candles,and other objects that give off light.
Inn Keeper: A person who runs an inn

J

K

L

Leather Smith: A person who makes and repairs all things leather.
Lamp Lighter: A person who lights the outside lamps in the richer parts of larger cities.
Land Holder: A person who owns land but is otherwise untitled.
M

Merchants: A person who buys and sells a variety of goods. Some of them specialize in a certain product.
Miner: A person who digs in the earth for some minerals.
Midwife: A person who helps birth babies and take care of the mothers.
Maid: A person who takes care of cleaning and laundry for money.
Minstrel: A person who plays music and sings for a specific lord or lady.
Munk: A religious person who Lives in a monastery  
N

O

Oar Man/Woman: A person who works in a galley or other ship pulling the oars
P

Playwright: A person who writes plays for the theater
Painter: A person who paints landscapes and portrait of people for money
Physicians: A person who uses herbs and surgery to make others better
Potter: A person who creates pots and other ceramic items
Peat Cutter: A person who cuts and dries peat for use as fuel.
Q

R

Rubbish Collector: A person who gathers rubbish and trash in the cities and removes it to a dump site.
Tinker/Repairman: A person who repairs anything and everything

S

Silver Smith: A person who works in silver and forges or casts it.
Stagehand: A person who helps out in the theater
Spinner: A person who spins materials into thread or yarn.
Seamstress: A person who makes cloth into clothing. usually for women.
Sage: A wise person who studies usually living in or near a library
Siege Engine Operator: A person who knows how to aim take apart and assemble the engine.
Stone Sculptor: A person who creates statues out of marble or other stone.
Stone Cutter: A person who cuts blocks of stone from a quarry
Stable Owner: A person who buys and sells horses or other riding animals
T

Theater : A place where one goes to view plays.
Tanner: A person who tans hides. This is a smelly job so the tannery is usually placed outside the city walls.
Taylor: A person who makes clothing usually for men.
Torch maker: A person who makes torches
Tavern Owner: A person who owns a tavern
Tavern Servant: A person who works for a tavern owner cleaning the rooms or in the kitchen as a cook
Tea Room Worker: A person who works in a tea room
Tar Miner: A person who extracts tar from the swamps This is called pitch after refining.

U

V

W

Weapon Smith: A person who has specialized in the making of weapons.
Wagoners: A person who moves goods for someone or other in their wagons.
Weaver: A person who weaves thread or yarn into bolts of cloth
Wood Worker: A person who makes wooden objects such as chairs and tables.
Wood Cuter: A person who chops down trees and/or cuts them into usable planks
Woodsman: A person who likes to stay in the woods and is knowledgeable about tracking and other woodland things. sometimes used as a guide
Watch Man/Woman: A person who keeps lookout usually in a tower or high on a wall  
Wood carver: A person who carves wood for furniture trimming or laminating sometimes carving the furniture itself
X

Y

Z
not exactly in alphabetical order but close please feel free to add more :thumbup  

"Wizards first rule people are stupid. They believe any lie as long as they want to believe it or they are afraid its true."  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2005, 14:35:00 »

Where is this list from, Selonious?  Not that we'll be posting it elsewhere except as a reference for Dev Board developers, but it would be nice to have a link or an idea who to credit.

"If you will listen to this lay but a little while now,
I will tell it at once as in town I have heard it told,
as it is fixed and fettered in story brave and bold,
thus linked and truly lettered, as was loved in this land of old."

J.R.R.Tolkien, 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

selonious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2005, 23:34:00 »

This list was created by me over the last ten years or so from a myriad of sources books,t.v. and rl. experience. I made it for use as a reference when acting as a dungeon master (D&D) to make the world come alive. As far as I know the list is by no means complete and is not listed on any web sight or book as a comprehensive whole,As far as I know. just in bits and pieces.
If there is a place where all this is listed they would probably have even more jobs listed and i am going of to see if i can find one ;)
I just thought it might be helpful to some people so i asked :pet
Just had to use the pet :lol  

selonious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2005, 00:18:00 »

I found a couple. I probably should have looked for this first :o

Well that was informative and fun I've found the list Bard Judith and it makes mine look Small, these two addresses are lists of mid evil jobs and are much more compleat than mine :)

cpcug.org/user/jlacombe/terms.html
worldroots.com/brigitte/occupat.htm

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2005, 14:42:00 »

Maybe we should put such a list in our Workshop section, which should have the purpose of providing links and background information anyways to help developers. The section is pretty neglected so far and I think it wouldn't hurt having such information there.

Reminds me: I should sooner or later put up the Map Drawing Tutorial, Part II, as there are lots of new and interesting things to add there in order to compose Manthrian-like maps.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2005, 23:30:00 »

Those are both very cool and thorough links - would go well in the Workshop, Art...  have to point Talia to the German one!

Map Tutorial II !  Yeah!  

SOMEDAY I will be able to afford Adobe Photoshop, right....?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Val Incendarious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2005, 18:02:00 »

Sel, I think this would be a great thing to post in the RPG forums as well. It may be useful in some unique titles among the new players.

I am happy to hear about the map tutorial! I love working with maps and such.

Judith I have a version of Adobe Photoshop 6 you can have. The only thing you can't do with it is register it. I have alot of plugins for it as well. I don't know how or where we could transfer such a big file on here. Most chatservers I don't think would do it. Maybe Arti could help there ..... If not I could make a copy to disk for you and mail it. Use a post office box. That way neither of us has to use our addresses.

"Life is a story waiting to be written. It is upto each of us to make it wonderful and exciting."
Val Incendarious CD

Edited by: Val Incendarious  at: 11/30/05 1:24
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2005, 13:43:00 »

Uhmm... Val, as webmaster of Santharia and as someone who has a certain responsibility here on the boards in terms of what is posted here I have to point out to you that sharing unregistered copies of programs just isn't... legal.

Val Incendarious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2005, 14:16:00 »

I am sorry Arti, I had no clue it was illegal. It was given to me and I was only trying to help Judith.  :confused  

"Life is a story waiting to be written. It is upto each of us to make it wonderful and exciting."
Val Incendarious CD

Edited by: Val Incendarious  at: 11/30/05 21:18
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2005, 20:21:00 »

I responded to that effect in Val's ezboard inbox as well, Art, don't worry - though I appreciate it was well-meant and certainly tempting!

But in point of fact I went to the trouble to delete a copy of Adobe Photoshop which 'came with' my computer purchased in Korea several years ago, as well as other illegally-installed software.  Don't think it was easy, either - a real temptation to keep and use it - but someday I'll be able to get my own legally purchased copy.  Until then, I'll just keep pushing my artistic limitations with the program I do have!

Edited by: Bard Judith at: 12/1/05 3:22

Val Incendarious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2005, 02:49:00 »

I know this thread has taken a turn from it's original focus ... but I do truly want Sel to place his list in the RP forums. I think it may help newcomers to create unique and interesting characters. Just looking down the list he provided sent my imagination in many directions. :clap  

Val Incendarious CD

selonious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2005, 02:49:00 »

Well that was an interesting side line there :biggrin

I would be happy to post my list in the RP Forum however i think the links i found are a better idea so i will post them over there Instead.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]