Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Joining the team.  (Read 2606 times)
Azeroth Nightshadow

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 30 May 2006, 10:35:00 »

Hello all :wave  I would like to join the "Dream Team" and start developing the world of Caelereth. I'm not so sure what to do, I have read the FAQs and it said I should post here. So, what I'm asking is can anyone fill me in on how to start? :confused

"In the night you will see me, and it won't be a nightmare" - quote from Azeroths' journel.

...Azeroth Nightshadow the Paelelon Predator...

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2006, 10:53:00 »

Hello Azeroth! Welcome to this side of the boards. If your CD writings are an indication of future entries from you, I am certain that your skills will be most appreciated in many areas here. To your concerns about where and how to start:

1) Look in the appropriate areas for templates that pertain to the style of entry you wish to start with. Though it is recommended you start with something simple such as Herbarium and Bestiary entries, till you get a grasp of how things work here.
2) Never fear to ask questions as there are many people here willing to help you on most any topic.
3) Patience is a virtue on this side of the boards .... this is a lesson it took me quite sometime to master (Though more than a few would think I have not done so yet.). Most people on this side of things are highly involved with their works so comments can be a bit sparse at times, they are usually most informed and geared to aid you towards a final approval of your proposals.

If you have any further questions feel free to post them here and I or someone else shall be along to guide you, to the best of our abilities.
~Sincerely~
Co f cr'tuuln:Twen Araerwen

(`._he pe e pon the rowd ike a ragon, ncient and u o eath_.)

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 5/29/06 18:57

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2006, 10:55:00 »

Heya :wave

Well first you should wirte an entry.  Usually we ask first time writers to start with a beast or a plant.  Eventually, after  you have put up a few entries, you may search through the current mentors and apply for apprenticeship.  However, we seem to be quite short in this department so it may be hard for you to find one.

When you post your first entry, just give me a bell-ring and I'll be glad to take a look at it!

See you around

-Drasil

Drasil Razorfang CD

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2006, 11:59:00 »

Hello from me as well! And if you think a beautifully mystical continent far away from the mainland would suit you better, you can always drop by Nybelmar!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2006, 12:57:00 »

Welcome, Azeroth - there is much to see, learn, and do in the Dream (and we recommend it be in that order!)

Twen has given you a good start, but one specific tip from my perspective: take your time.   Your first submission is much more likely to be accepted, read, reviewed, and metamorphed into an official entry if you do the following!

a) read and learn about what exists on the site already.  The Great Compendium, aka www.santharia.com, is a vast repository of our collected 'information'.  This will help you avoid suggesting something that is already in place, or isn't necessary!

b)  Rather than bringing a long-held fantasy creation of your own along and trying to 'wedge' it into an already-full ecosystem or history timeline, why not look for gaps, omissions, and less-detailed areas?    If you are the first one to note that Caelereth is distressingly short of grains, and create the Santharian equivalent of barley or rye - with a unique creative flair - we'll be much more appreciative than if you try to make yet another species of drake, for example.

c) Cross-reference.  It not only shows that you've done your reading and research, it means you have a viable suggestion that has a place to fit in.  The Dream is a marvelous cooperative project, and linking to each other's  ideas, concepts, and designs makes it an even stronger web of imagination.

Arm yourself with plenty of parchment, some sharp quills, and dive in!  Oh, and have a few Doch Nut and Kaokao Cookies to fortify yourself first.  They are fresh out of the bakeoven and quite delicious!

Regards from the bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Azeroth Nightshadow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2006, 15:54:00 »

Thanks for filling me in. I've noticed that the compendium is a little short on bears. Would this be a good start for me to contribute?

"In the night you will see me, and it won't be a nightmare" - quote from Azeroths' journel.

...Azeroth Nightshadow the Paelelon Predator...

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2006, 00:47:00 »

Hi, bears would be a great place to strart, since we don't have a whole lot of em.

Always good to have a variety of animals

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2006, 07:43:00 »

Hmmm.... yes, indeed.  Let's see...

We have a monstrous Cartashian Bear, and the great northern White Bear,  but the smaller woods bears (like our Canadian black bear, for example) are represented only by the rather exotic and limited-range Moss Bear.  

No, wait - there is something called the Argrothin Black Bear... which I have to confess I didn't know existed before I hit the magnifying glass search icon on the site!   However, it is an older entry which IMO does not come up to current standards (not that it's not well-written but there isn't much of it... and there are no other references or cross-linkings than the entry itself)

There certainly should be room still to insert a small woods bear.  I'd suggest making it omnivorous, non-aggressive, and hibernatory for maximum viability - oh, and brown would be nice!  :D    How about 'The Cinnabear'?    Any specifically Caelerethian 'twists' to demonstrate creativity and add interest within those broad parameters will be eagerly expected...  

For example, you could do a 'Coastal Bear' which enjoys salt water and swims well enough to catch fish... or a 'Bark Bear' whose multi-shaded coat blends into the shadows of the trees it climbs to sleep... or... well, let's see what YOU have in mind!

Go ahead and post your concept in the Bestiary, then (the appropriate template is at the top of the forum) and we'll await with expectation!

Regards,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2006, 13:06:00 »

Hello from me as well, Azeroth! :wave

Bear would be fine as Judy already said, just have a look around which type you'd like to add - try to make it unique and special and bring in some Santharian references, this would be nice:D  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2006, 13:10:00 »

Or, to piggy back off of Judy, as I seem to be doing quite alot recently, you could start out re-writing said entry if the original author gives you premission.  If they are not still on the site(you can check this by looking up thier username) you should be able to re-write it without troubles from anyone else.

However, most people prefer to start out writing thier own entries.

Usually you gets lots of comments on your first entry, but remember to be patient.  Even if you bell-ring various people(other than me as I seem to be on 24-7) it may take them a while to get to your entry.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Edited by: Drasil Razorfang at: 5/30/06 21:11
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2006, 13:25:00 »

And for people with too much time on their hands - like Drasil - it is also not forbidden to read through other people's contributions and comment on them:)  Makes things easier for the mentors, you know... :biggrin  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]