Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ancient Styrásh  (Read 2623 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 15 March 2003, 19:56:00 »

Well, I'm messing around with my two fonts, I have because I'm not entirely satisfied with their appearance. So I made two subversions of them though I don't know if/when I might rework them. An example of the new "Modern" Styrásh can be found in my signature. Eventually I can rework it into a new font.

For the new version of Ancient Styrásh I however took a more free approach that has imo more style but which I fear will be incapable of converting into a font. Still, maybe it is a nice idea for some of our artists and eventually for some CoA or other stuff.

It's inspirated by the appearance of arabic letters and 100% based on the existing Ancient Styrásh font. However, as the way this writing works is more artistic than really practical I fear it won't work to just throw together in a font so maybe I should/could/may write a design description?

The accent appears in two versions here, as a crown ontop of a vowel or as a wave above or following a vowel.

Have fun!

Elvish classical handwriting

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Rayne (Alŭr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2003, 01:48:00 »

Yay! It's pretty! When will we actually be able to download it on to our computers and use it? ^_^

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2003, 05:58:00 »

Eh, I tried to explain. These are the principles I'd like to write Styrásh but I see no possibility to teach a Font program to realize it. It's more about drawing a text than writing it letter for letter...

But I'm happy you like it. :)  

Rayne (Alŭr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2003, 17:32:00 »

Hn.. Well, if all the letters connected to each other in the same spot.. that's how they get cursive to work on a computer.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2003, 09:26:00 »

Doesn't work, I have at least two but more towards three spots where different letters connect to each other. Would destroy the design if it was different.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2003, 09:16:00 »

They look cool, no doubt:D  Maybe they can be used this way in a picture or something somehow, as the font conversion indeed will be quite problematic:  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2003, 20:43:00 »

Koldar:  just an idea...and thinking as I type here....

what if you could simplify it just enough to make only TWO possible connection points (by having longer connector strokes perhaps)?

and the connector strokes are always attached to the letter previous (on the right-hand side of the letter shape)...

then you could have 'A' represent the 'aaaaa' sound with a 'high' connection and 'a' represent the 'aaaaa' sound with a 'low' connection...

(did that make any sense?)

for the few letters that need to have THREE versions of connectors, perhaps taking the Western letters that are unused or unnecessary in Styrash - say 'x', or 'c' - would work.

So perhaps your sibilant 's' sound needs to have three possible connectors for the letters to which it attaches...

It would then be represented by the keystrokes 'S', 's', and 'c', respectively for a connector at the top of the letter, a connector swooping from the bottom of the letter, and a mid-level connector stroke.

--------------------

Well, just a quick brainstorm you can ignore.

I think the face is lovely as it is, very artistic, and perhaps the changes you'd need to make to force it into a font would destroy that rhythm and flow... just wanted to give a couple of suggestions that might help if you ever DID want to font it.

Judy

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Addron DeGera

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2004, 16:27:00 »

I have three "modes" of elvish script, Ësailasin, Nau'Gwar, and Súvannin, which all use the characters of the lámêan énaëfan, the alphebet of the elves. For theses scripts, I can't make them into a font that looks really cool, because I don't know of a font program that could recongnize that th is a single letter. But for the spacing, that's not a problem. All you must do is make all your letters flow together the way you want, then make them overlap just a bit. perfect merger. Ösatar!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]