Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Draft Historical Overview Strata  (Read 2922 times)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« on: 05 August 2001, 04:36:00 »

Ok here goes what I've made up during my holidays concerning Strata. Everything can be discussed, many things will most likely change, some things will need the coöperation of other members. I need Koldar and me to discuss the relation between Strata and the kingdoms of Nybelmar, need Greybark for the Rat brownies and their role in the Shadow War (see below) etc. for now, the first draft:

Draft Historical Overview Strata:

1649 b.S. - Founding of the city
1646 b.S. - Constructionstart of Temple of Foiros Tremgrala (Foiros Guide in Dark Days)
1628 b.S. - Constructionstart of the harbourquarter under the supervision of Gerwon Tristin
1603 b.S. - Finish of both Temple and Harbour, first (fishing)ships sail from the harbour.
1457 b.S. - Discovery of Shan'Thai and start of a long trade coöperation between the two cities. Shan'Thai provides Strata with necessary goods they can't make in their desert climate while the Stratanians provide Shan'Thai with pottery, tobacco and wines.
1288 b.S. - Flood and Storm cause main parts of the city to drown in the high level sea water, harbour quarter is completely destroyed, along with the Temple of Foiros Tremgrala. The complete Tristin family drowns in the flood.
1287 b.S. - Later referred to in local history as "The Year of Chaos".
The town is majorly crippled by the natural disasters of last year and left under the rule of the city council as the Tristin family was no longer present.
Appearance of Miyal IV of Varcopas, closest living relative of Miyal II, daughter of Fantyn I Queen of Varcopas and Drafas Longstep, demanding the leadership over the city.
The Ruling House is passed over to the Varcopanian family, Miyal IV takes title of "The Tristin" in honour of her greatgrandgrandfather(?) and the old ruling family. First time of woman rule. Start of growth of Stratanian influence as Varcopas and Strata are under the same rule.
1286 b.S. - Reconstruction of Temple and Harbour Quarter start, but the new harbour is constructed further away from the city at the westcoast. First appearances of large amounts of thugs in the old Harbour Quarter which was only partially reconstructed for the grain supplies from Shan'Thai, all other ships sailed to the new harbour. The old harbour quarter became known by the population as Vagabond's Hideout.
1000 b.S. - 700 b.S. Golden Age of Strata. Period of large prosperity for the Citystate and her allies coming from trade mainly. Expeditions are sent out to look for new trade partners or perhaps land for conquest colonization.a
956 b.S. - Three Stratanian ships reach the Ferrath Islands. First contact is made with representatives of the Old Empire of Korwein. Strata establishes a traderoute with the islands but isn't allowed to explore the continent of Nybelmar further.
912 b.S. - murder on the Tristin Granat III, rumours of the Templars of the Black Pearl start to spread.
854 b.S. - first reports of other life in the sewers of Strata then the usual thugs and smugglers. A colony of Rat Brownies is discovered later that year.
806 b.S. - outbreak of first sarvonian war. The south remains untouched by the ravage of war for many years.
759 b.S. - Siege of Bardavos by a small contigent of elves coming from the forests lying in the north. Messengers coming from Bardavos reach Strata asking aid in their situation. Strata recognises the threat forme by the elves and sends out an army in the direction of Bardavos. The town is saved and the elves are forced to retreat to the Sharadon Forests by the combined armies of Bardavos of Strata.
758 b.S. Founding of the kingdom of Stratania, which consists of the city states of Strata, Bardavos, Varcopas and the lands surrounding the cities. Uderza and Rahmat remain Shendar cities, while Thalambath decides to remain an independent city. The Tristin of Strata holds the power over the kingdom, a council was formed and placed in Strata which formed the capital of the kingdom.
744 b.S. - The traderoutes to the Ferrath Islands cease to exist as the Stratanian merchant ships find another power holding the islands. First signs of weakness show in the economic structure as several companies depended on the trade with the west.
713 b.S. - 636 b.S. "Shadow War" In the streets and sewers of Strata a terrible war is faught between the Seven of Thalambath and the Templars of the Black Pearl. It had the name the "Shadow War" because the war wasn't faught openly, only in the dark hours of night, the shadows of the Vagabond's Hideout and the sewers. Murders and small skirmishes were daily events and the city was in chaos. The war resulted most likely in the end of the Templars and the leaving of the Seven to their hometown, although both facts were never confirmed.
635 b.S. - Thalambath joins the Kingdom of Stratania, but gains power quickly because of the chaos in Strata
628 b.S. - War  between Strananian ships and the Milkengradian Fleet who considered the ships pirate renegades.
618 b.S. - Alliance of the Red and Punitive Expedition against Milkengrad. Though the outcome was victorious for the alliance, it can be seen as a Phyrrus victory: Many men and material were lost due to the war and the economy of Strata collapsed. The harbour fell into ruin as it was barely used and crime took control of the city. The Tristin and his family, last heirs to Drafas' throne leave the city and flee to Marcogg.
602 b.S. - The council of the Kingdom of Stratania was moved to Thalambath and the leader of the city took the title King of the United South, easily overthrowing the Tristin of the weakened city.
474 b.S. - Offensive of Stratanian patriots against the Thalambathian government. The rebels were easily defeated and fled to Bardavos. In the following centuries several groups of patriots demand the restoration of Strata's most important part, the harbour, by violent or peaceful actions. It is thought that the Tristin partially origanized the resistance from Marcogg.
203 b.S. - End of demise for Strata, the King of  Thalambath grants the city a large sum of money to rebuilt and reconstruct its famous harbour. The Tristin family is reinstated as holder of the Ruling House.
   0 b.S. -  The Stratanian Kingdom becomes part of the United Kingdom. Santhros grants the city more funds to regain power. Restoration and buildings continue but at slow speed due to the large demolish activities that have to be performed first. Many of the old buildings are unrepairably damaged by the teeth of time and are pulled down.

Edited by: Gean Firefeet at: 8/11/01 2:52:19 pm

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2001, 08:21:00 »

Okay, till 320 b.S. Aca-Santerra was not a united kingdom but loose(very loose) group of island kingdoms. It would get in contact with Santharia rather late(still several centuries).

However the first seafaring powers of Nybelmar settling in the Wernam were supposed to be the "Old empire of Korwein" which might be already in decline when Strata discovered the Ferrath-islands.
The holder of Ferrath in early times is supposed to be Anis-Anpagan. A small kingdom that was driven into colonization by shortages in ressources which brought them to the Ferrath let's say around 1100 b.S founding a small outpost there.

It is reasonable to assume that Korwein is somehow present there, too, at least when the traderoutes to Strata opened.
Other countries like the precedessors of Aca-Santerra will most likely have a suspicious stance towards Santharia (they fear strangers) however her merchants would be also able to travel such distances.

Aca-Santerra will become really powerful around 300 a.S. when the Santerran navy is suposed to be the strongest in numbers as well as weapons (although R'unor is supposed to be more advanced).

Perhaps we should aim for a period of time where trade between Strata and Nybelmar was high (and so made Strata very powerful and rich) and then a time where this contact between the continents ceased(where Strata's power was in decline) and finally was reinitiated  when Aca-Santerra has fought its place between the other colonial powers on the Ferraths. (that would be after 767 a.S.)

There is still much under development on Nybelmar but this should be a rather fix description of what Nybelmar's powers are supposed to be.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2001, 09:04:00 »

OK, then let's say that 956 b.S. Stratanian explorers reach the Ferrath archipelago, meet representatives of the "Old empire of Korwein" and establish a traderoute to the west. These events would most certainly boost the economy of Strata, so they become partially the reason of Strata's Golden Age...

Now we would need an event that would considerbly freeze the relationship between the two parties... we could say that the Nybelmarian party, whoever that may be at that time, disapproves the actions of the Alliance of the Red and stops the tradecontacts with Strata. Afterwards Strata's economy collapses, the stopped tradecontacts could enlarge this effect. Then by the time Santhros arrives in the South the traderoutes might be reëstablished...

- Shendar Proverb
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2001, 13:05:00 »

Sounds okay. I'll look for a date when the "Old Empire" breaks down and Anis-Anpagan takes over the island.

I would also think that a declining empire would try to prevent a new opponent to recognize its weaknesses. Together with 'Xenophiles' like Aca-Santerra that would mean that Stratanians hardly ever arrived at the continent as they would've been treated as uninvited visitors.

Perhaps the traderoutes were closed when the Empire broke down and not reinstalled when Anis-Anpagan took over as they had other interest in this island (more as a military outpost or because of minerals or something)

I would propose that Nybelmar fall into some kind of "Middle Age" when "Old Korwein" broke down and needed time to recover.
The routes might've been relived when powers like Aca-Santerra and the "New Korwein Empire" as well as Anis-Anpagan had enough energy to send expeditions out to find these old tradepartners.

Eventually these powers then also found other continents but the trade with Santharia was very good which led to several wars and camapigns over the Ferrath islands which would also have closed the traderoutes for short periods of time...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2001, 11:45:00 »

I'm really a bit behind, Gean, due to the usual update stress, some real life things etc. But mangaed to read your concepts today, and it all looks well thought up. Good job!

I also see discussions about the relations between Nybelmar and Stratania have already started, which also sounds good. I guess you will work a bit on some dates/incidents for the history table, Gean, so let me know when you think that we have enough information to put it up;)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2001, 13:03:00 »

OK,
 *yawns*
But not now.
 *puts matches between his eyelids and continuous reading/writing/thinking*

Done some updating on the overview in the first post. Art, you can put it for now, but it will be subjected to changes, and of course the whole time after Santhros still needs description, but we'll do one thing at the time.

Edited by: Gean Firefeet at: 8/11/01 2:44:28 pm

- Shendar Proverb
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2001, 08:34:00 »

Okeydokey, will do:)  Thanx, Gean!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2001, 02:31:00 »

Would need some sort of general description too for the town, Gean. For the current update some few lines would suffice I guess - just in case you have some time left.

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2001, 02:55:00 »

Will see what I can do, I had thought of the need for such a thing already.

[edit] Here's the first part, I'll finish it before I go to Rome, but we have a birthday at home so my attention is required here as well.

STRATA. Ancient capital of the Stratanian Kingdom, located near the southernmost point of the Sarvonian Continent. Founded by Drafas Tristin in 1649 b.S. as new home for the refugees from the Voldarian Atonement. Infamous for its crime but well known for its large harbour and trade district.

In 1649 b.S. a group of refugees reached the Burning Sea after a long travel. Led by Drafas Tristin they founded a new city at the place where they saw the sun rise for the first time after a Year of Darkness. The remnants of the first Temple of Foiros Tremgala still remind of these events: the citizens made the temple to honour the god of the Injera, their guide in dark days.

But there's more to the location of the city. When reaching Cape Strata they stumbled upon the ruins of an old and forgotten civilization. It is thought that they belong to the same time as the ruins found in Thalambath, from the War of the Chosen. The ruins of the town were long abandoned, but a system of large sewers was found intact under the ground, as well as some crippled walls and most striking a lighthouse of huge dimensions. The legend goes that a giant tribe lived here, but this was never confirmed. The only thing known is that the Thalambathian population considered the ground cursed, and they were therefore astonished when they heard that the refugees had settled at the cursed grounds.

Not believing the stories of Thalambath's population the refugees continued their constructions and soon a small town appeared above the ruins of old. Not long thereafter the first constructions for the harbour where started, and it was finished at the same time as the temple devoted to Foiros Tremgala. Now the first fishing ships sailed out over the waters and thus started the seafaring nation of Strata. In the centuries following the population would suffer several catastrophes, but always they recovered from it. The will to survive was in many of them.

To be continued…

Edited by: Gean Firefeet at: 8/12/01 11:53:55 am

- Shendar Proverb
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2001, 06:50:00 »

Okeydokey. I'll use this at  the current entry.

BTW: Anyone here who can tell us the correct English word for what Gean called "great-grandgrandfather"?

Winlok
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2001, 08:10:00 »

The term is great-great-grandfather.

Your fathers fathers fathers father. <----A lot of generations in the old family tree.

Your fathers father would be your grandfather

Your fathers fathers father would be your great-grandfather

Your fathers fathers fathers father would be your great-great-grandfather

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2001, 11:48:00 »

Thanx for the help, Winlok!

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2001, 08:59:00 »

Here's for now general descriptions of Strata. I will enlarge and  elaborate a bit more on the history part when I've thought about the city after Santhros, that part will come another time.

- Shendar Proverb
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]