Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Halfling Origin  (Read 4285 times)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 29 September 2001, 11:33:00 »

The current origin of the Halflings has not been worked out I saw, but does it have to be a Cosmological Origin? If not, I've worked out something as well. (yeah, at school again. Wow, I'm doing something productive there for once :eek )

Origin of the Halflings:
When the world was (a bit) younger. The dwarves didn't go as far into the mountains as they do now. The main cause for this was that they couldn't grow food inside the mountains, but they didn't want to relay on trade. (did anybody think of that before actually, how the Dwarves get their food?). So a part of the Dwarves was appointed to grow food on the hillsides close to the mountains. This continued for several years/centuries* until the Dwarves discovered the Solar Gems² and Rockgrass³. They didn't need the farms of their cousins (the "outsiders" as the called them) anymore and started digging further into the mountains. However, the "outsiders" didn't want to go into the mountains anymore. They had started to love the green hills and blue rivers and lost their love for gems and stone, so they decided to stay and make a living in the mountains, thus resulting in the first shire. When the Dwarves dug even further into the mountains, they lost all contact with the "outsiders", who moved away from the mountains into the greener hills and valleys. Those Dwarves would shrunk a little and later be called "Halflings"¤, because they were half the size of a normal men.

*choose the best one
² Gems that shine like the sun, thus making vegetation possible.
³ Grass that needs little food or water and can even be found on stony grounds.
¬§ They preferred to call themselves "Hobbits" <--Optional  

Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2001, 12:26:00 »

So this suggests that dwarves and halflings had the same origins... Could perhaps be a tale the halflings themselves believe in, but not the dwarves of course. Hmmm.. Could you perhaps but the whole tale in some sort of fairy-tale form - as I assume that a hobbit myth is more fairy tale, then we could add it this way to the halfling entry. Why dwarves are more stocky, strong etc. than hobbits could perhaps be explained that they more and more became like the mountain the always dig in. And some even say that they became so greedy that they eat these precious stones... (Well, these are some points which could be added to some sort of fairy-tale here)

BTW: Dwarves for sure mainly live from mushrooms they plant in the caves, I suppose.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2001, 12:30:00 »

Yeah, I actually planned it as the real origin of the Halflings, because I hadn't read the post then yet. But a fairy tale could also do. About the dwarves diet, It just occured to me that in all the fantasy-novels, this has never been mentioned, while it must be something special. So I thought I could give it a chance.

Theodorus

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2001, 13:53:00 »

Story of Origin as told by the Halflings themselves:

Long, long ago, when the world was still young. There were no Hobbits at all (amazed cries from the audience). There were only Men, Elves, Orcs and Dwarves. And this story goes about Dwarves.

Nowadays, the Dwarves have almost disappeared from the surface of the world, digging deeper and deeper into their mountains. But in past times, dwarves used to live more on the surface of their mountains and some even lived in the valleys.
In those times, the Dwarves hadn't learned how to grow food and keep animals in the dark caves yet. But because they didn't want to trade with other races, they're really independent, some of them decided to construct farms in the valleys and they became the food supply for the Dwarves in the mountains.
But while the normal Dwarves got more and more skilled in mining and metal working, the "outsiders" as they were called, skilled themselves in farming, baking and brewing.

This continued for a few centuries, until one day the Dwarf Moruk, who would later be called "the Lightbringer", found the first "Solar Gem" or "Foiros Tear". Those gems were filled with the power of Foiros and shone with the same light as that of the Injèra, thus enabling the Dwarves to create underground farms.

Now the Dwarves had their own farms inside the mountains, they didn't need the farms of the "outsiders" anymore and they started digging further and further into the mountains. At a certain moment, they asked all their cousins, the "outsiders", to join them, but the "outsiders" refused. They had lost all interest in the dark mountains and they had begun to love the sun, the blue sky and rivers and the green valleys and fields.
So it happened that the Dwarves divided themselves in two groups. One, led by Moruk the Lightbringer, dug further into the mountains and the other, led by Harfuld the Green, founded the first Shire: HobbitsShire. Hobbit meaning: (the) green-lovers and Shire meaning: (a) group of holes.

In later years, the Hobbits as they now called themselves, founded even more shires, like Helmondsshire and Silvershire.
The HobbitsShire was eventually destroyed during the Dragonstorm, but some other Shires survived the cataclysm, the one we live in, for example. In all the following years, the Hobbits just lived on. Not very curious of the rest of the world and happy with their way of living. They made a few discoveries like pipeweed and butterbeer, but for the rest Hobbits haven't done much things remembered by the outer world. And we still live quietly, forgotten by most of the world.  

"And hopefully it will stay that way," would most Hobbits in the audience think. And they returned to their cosy holes to smoke a pipe and talk of their family trees. While they didn't want to think much of those past times and turbulent times.

Theodorus

Edited by: Theodorus Holzman at: 10/1/01 3:58:27 pm
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2001, 07:33:00 »

Hey!  Poor hungry fungus-feeding Dwarves....

Now hang on a sec.  The Dwarven diet is much more varied than you'd think.

Dwarves funnel and filter light (and air, naturally) down into their dwelling caverns via long diamonte-lined shafts (see the entry on the Timeclock) .  Similar structures are used, closer to the surface, to light the large fields of vegetation.  (names coming as soon as I create and translate them for the Herbarium, ok?  Give me a day or so!)

Assorted mosses and edible lichens, which require lots of damp and low light conditions are grown on specially-constructed arches over farm canyons.   Dwarf 'bread' is created by drying a certain lichen, powdering it, and then mixing into a dough with stale beer (which helps raise it) and baking in any of the small ovens which are always built into their forges.  Their diet does indeed include mushrooms of various sorts, but also fish (think about those great cave pools) and freshwater molluscs, shrimp, lizard, and bat.  (The latter is considered a delicacy rather than a staple)  Dwarven hunters are not adverse to doing night hunts aboveground, either, to bring back the various mountain/forest animals.  Deer, lynx, mountain goat, and small game are all PuvJor, "pot-meat", and usually shared out upon the hunt's return.  

A menu will be posted next, if anyone's hungry...

Bard Judith, Speaker for the Dwarves (grin)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2001, 14:33:00 »

Very good, Thergerim! *hehe* Will also add this info to the dwarven entry next update. And now grab your pick and get some more diamonds (and especially their names, Judith)!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2001, 18:10:00 »

Hmmm. I never thought as hobbits as being actually related to dwarves in colmological origin. Much more closely to humans, as Gandalf so aptly points out in "The Return of the King." So I must disagree with the fact that Hobbits are "evolved" dwarves.

There's my humble opinion.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2001, 21:52:00 »

Not that too many people of other races agree with them of course, but Brownies are pretty convinced that Halflings are the product of unions between Brownies and humans....they never could explain how or why, however.....

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2001, 07:24:00 »

Well, actually I don't care what the Brownies think. As the title says, this is the story from the Halfling point of view, if the Brownies decide not to agree, that's fine with me. You can make a lot of whole other stories. Mine is a lot different from the Elvish one, and maybe you want to make another story. But this is how I made it and I won't be turning the whole thing upside down now. If you do not agree with me, go write a story yourself.

Theodorus

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2001, 11:23:00 »

Sorry I did a bit rude in my previous post. But as you've probably understood by now, my story isn't about what you think that happened, or what the Brownies think that happened. It's just what the Halflings think. The Brownies, Dwarves, Humans etc. may have a totally different idea about the origin of the Halflings.
Anyway, I made this story as a story from the Halflings' point of view, but if you think it would better fit with another race, perhaps the Dwarves think it happened this way, I can change that if you want. But I don't understand why you all think it better that the Halflings are all descendants from the Humans, instead of the Dwarves. Well, you'll probably have a reason for it, but I think this can too. :)

P.S. Why do all the races exactly want to be affiliated to the Halflings? Status or something? "Look at us, were related to the Halflings"? :rolleyes  

Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2001, 13:56:00 »

*hehe* I guess Greybark didn't mean to tell you to change the story. He just explained that Brownies have a different view on other races. Just like humans won't really believe in the dwarven myth that they were cared from stone by Urtengor himself.

They story is ok from my point of view, that's why I told Theo to work on it a bit more. This is the view of the halflings. They may be a bit more naive in their myths, that's why I proposed to write it more in fairy tale style. And I guess it turned out quite fine. I will do some adjustements, though, e.g. to subsitute the name "dwarves" with "small folk". This way it is more obvious that halflings didn't derive from dwarves, but only had common ancestors. And: It is not necessary that we have the same genealogy of reaces as in the LOTR. In fact we want to make it different.  

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2001, 21:45:00 »

Thanks Art. That's exactly what I was doing.....
enjoying what I saw, and saying "Cool! Halflings see it like that?"

The Brownie comment was meant to make somebody (hopefully) laugh at the wild impossible ideas Brownies can come up with, nothing more.

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2001, 23:59:00 »

Yeah, I understand now. But I was a bit in a bad mood yesterday, so I saw complaints everywhere. Art, can I consider this done? Then I can work a bit more on other things in the weekend.

Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2001, 12:41:00 »

Yeah, we can consider the halfling story finished. I'll only do some minor adjustments when putting it up, but that's it;)  

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2001, 17:32:00 »

And I didn't mean that all the humans want to be affiliated with the halflings. In fact, I think that many of them might see the hobbits as inferior, or at least shorter.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]