Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Crystal Grass(New Plant)  (Read 17232 times)
Sinen Darkchild

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 20 January 2003, 11:03:00 »

Categorization
  A grass
Basic Overview
 Crystal Grass is a rare and beautiful plant. In fact, it is so rare that few may ever see it in their lifetime. Crystal Grass can thrive in any climate or condition so long as it meets certain conditions. While appearing to be made of crystal it is just as flexible and sturdy as regular old grass. An interesting property of this plant is that when the wind blows through  it Crystal Grass produces a mournful melody.

Description
  Crystal Grass is made of a crystaline substance which appears to be fragile, but in fact, is as flexible and tough as normal grass. Anyone who has seen it find it to be a beautiful sight when the light hits it just right so that it makes a rainbow of colored lights shining in all directions. It is translucent, but it always appears as a multitude of colors so long as any amount of light shines on it. It produces a sweet mellow tune when the wind blows, but this melody always has a sad note to it. Crystal Grass grows to be no more than 5 nailsbreadths tall, and for all purposes appears to be the same shape and width as normal grass. It can be cut or broken, but it will only grow to its maximum height. Crystal Grass tends to grow in a similiar pattern as normal grass where as it is clumped together.

Territory
 Crystal Grass appears to be able to grow in any climate or condition. Oddly it doesn't grow in large fields and it doesn't spread. It is however noted that Crystal Grass will appear on old battle fields and seems to mark some elven graves. However, it cannot be moved from the locations it grows in. For some unknown reason when it has been tried the Crystaline grass turns green and within a day becomes normal grass.

Usages
  Crystal Grass has no practical use. It has neither healing properties nor poisonous ones. It is completely harmless. Some elves use it to mark the graves of those they feel are the most significant losses. Its melody actually has almost a hypnotic effect on the human race. This effect is multipied greatly with the spectacular sight of such a plant.

Reproduction
  Crystal Grass is a strange plant. It cannot reproduce in the same sense as other plants. It starts from what seems to be a spore. Nobody knows where this spore has come from. All that is known of this mysterious spore is that it appears in some elven bloodlines. This appearance is believed to be totoally random. Many believe it has to do with the fact that it tends to appear over graves and battle fields.  

Myths/Lore/Origins
  Crystal Grass has one single myth around it. Most people, humans especially, believe that elves are born of the land and thus are held sacred to the land, and when the blood of the elves is taken into regular grass the land causes it to become this Crystal Grass. They believe that the melody it produces is a lament from the land itself thus its sad nature.

Researchers
  The original research was started by an elf named Lelinia. She kept detailed notes on this plant in a black leather book. After her mysterious dissappearance the book seemed lost. However, it was actually found by a human named Dreynis. He sought out this beautiful plant that he was reading about, and even wrote a little in the book about it. He passed the book down his family for a couple generations. Then it came to Jerim. Jerim became a semi-close friend to an elf named Servin Darkchild. Sadly, Jerim was killed by orcs as they passed through the Mithral Mountains. Servin took the book and later left it with a human girl named Jeslin. Jeslin ran across Crystal Grass and added her own research, more like poetry, to the book. Jeslin grew quite old and left the book to her son Gravis. Gravis carrried the book with him as a reminder of his mother. He eventually came to be friends with Sinen Darkchild. Unforunately, Gravis was killed by orcs in the Mithral Mountains just like Jerim. Thus, the book came to Sinen. After spending a little time researching this plant, Sinen, who had pressing family matters to attend to, handed over the notes to Alia Locktear who now currently further researches this rare plant.    

Excerpts From Research Notes

"I have stumbled across quite a strange plant. I think I shall call it Crystal Grass. It is quite beautiful when the sun shines as it does now. The brilliance of color is quite remarkable."

"As I sit here now observing this marvelous plant a mid-summers breeze has begun to blow. This crystaline grass produces a mellow sound. I'm afraid its melody sounds almost sad to me."

"Until now I have feared to touch this grass. It appears so delicate, but as I touch it now I have discovered that it is a soft as any of the green grass which covers our precious land."
excerpts from original writings of Lelinia

"An enchanting melody has floated upon the wind. Mystified by this tune I followed the sound upon the wind until I found a small field hidden inside a forest. In small clusters through out this field a strange grass grows. It must be this Crystal Grass I have read about. The moon's pale light causes the Crystaline blades to sparkle with a multitude of colors. If I had not read it from the notes of this book I would swear this is a fragile plant. In fact, I couldn't simply believe it. Alas, it is the truth. The blades do not shatter between my fingers."
excerpt from writings of Dreynis

Nestled sweetly in a secret grove,
Precious Crystal Grass does grow,
And upon a starry, moonlit night,
This place, so beautiful, comes into sight.

Mourning sounds I hear,
And I shed a single tear,
My heart aches and wish's to go away,
I will myself to stay.

These apparent fragile blades I feel,
they seem to me to be unreal,
They bend and curve and blow in the wind,
To break them down I do not intend.

I'll leave this place before the break of day,
For it seems I cannot bear to stay.
The beauty of the Crystal Grass - what for a sight,
will forever haunt my dreams at night. .
excerpt from the writings of Jeslin

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Edited by: Sinen Darkchild at: 1/24/03 5:25:45 pm

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2003, 14:41:00 »

Interesting, very interesting, and DIFFERENT :-)
Have to think over it a bit longer though.And please don't refer to reproduction throughout the whole entry, if it is so important(and it is), mention it already shortly in the overview and more detailed in reproduction.
Generally - more detail - you have such a fantastique plant, you have to think about more details to add!

*Thinks evil thoughts about how to capture one of his family and drain some of this blood to carry it away*

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2003, 14:53:00 »

I think that if one knew how the grass was made, it would be rather scary to see it. I know I wouldn't want to tread on grass made by someone's blood and perhaps over the grave of a member of the family that made the grass.

Amuwen
May your heart float softly upon the breeze and the wind guide your path.

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2003, 15:52:00 »

I like this idea, nice concept.  Good so far but as previously stated you need more detail.  We know how tall it grows but is it just like grass, i.e. do the blades come clumped together or more spread out, are they thinner than normal grass of thicker.  Are each individual blade square in shape or rounded,  Is the crystal coloring clear, semi opaque or opaque or are just the edges clear which causes the rainbow of color when the sun passes through.  If totally clear how does one see it amoung the other plants (especially when cloudy) or is the crystal multi-colored?

Does the grass spead out any distance from the spilt blood or ony the plants that the blood has hit are affected or does it spread through the root section of a plant and giving it more area coverage.  Otherwise I would think a lot of blood would need to be spilled to cover a grave.

A suggestion on the myth part.  Instead of saying humans believe certain bloodlines cause this grass, because I am sure the Darkchild family would want to keep this somewhat secret for obvious reasons.  Say something to the effect, humans believe certain elves are born of the land and are considered sacred unto it.  When one of these elves' blood is spilled on the land this crystal grass sprouts upon the spot.  And the sad mounful sound caused when the wind blows through the grass is the lament of the land in their passing.  This would give it a more of a myth or lore feel.

For heavens sake get rid of all the references of "see the reproduction" for details.  If you want to catch the readers attention and have them read futher you might try "Crystal Grass can thrive in any climate or conditions so long as blood can be spilled" or something along that line in the overview.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Sinen Darkchild

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2003, 21:32:00 »

I have a few clarifications because i get the feeling that some people don't quite understand.

First off, I saw someone mention how people whould probably be afraid of seeing this and fear to tread on it. Well, you are probably right. Of course, there is no real reason to fear it. I can't put in the actual description yet the real reason to its production. It isn't known. In fact, Sinen is currently researching it.(Actually, he is in a towe somewhere getting ready to fight a mage, but that is beside the point.) As to detail, Hard to do as little is truly known. The reason for Darkchild graves being scattered is so people wouldn't figure it out. However, crystal grass deserves to be know about. It is a pretty sight, and Sinen doesn't see the harm in it. especially if he can figure it all out. I'll come up with more detail as I think of it. I did adjust some things in the post. I even put in that is is the same shape as normal grass and that it is the same width as normal grass. Plus I changed the myth a little bit.

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2003, 21:44:00 »

It's a nice plant. Very creative. But, hun, it seems like you're using it more for RPG purposes than for Santharia. You mention your character's last name at least seven times in this entry! Generalize it more. Maybe there's something special about a certain tribe faction from whose blood this mysterious and beautiful grass grows. Try to cut down on the times you use "Sinen Darkchild" or "Darkchild" in general. If you want, I highly suggest you make a research section where you can mention the name and yourself as a researcher of this plant.

Please do entries for the good of Santharia and not just for the good of your RPG character, please.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Sinen Darkchild

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2003, 21:59:00 »

I was just thinking of that. The only reason I haven't mentioned more than my name and last name is that The Darkchilds are all that have researched it. What was known is lost beyond all knowledge except for the research of the Darkchilds. What can I say? I'm trying to add a unigue plant for the good of santharia.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2003, 22:14:00 »

It is unique, but it seems more like you're doing it for you and not for Santharia. Just because Darkchild's are the only ones who have researched it doesn't mean you have to make it specific to your needs and mention Darkchild in nearly ever section! Instead of saying "The Darkchild Family for instance, Use it to mark the graves of their ancestors" replace "Dark Child Family" with the tribe of your character. For instance, if you're an Aellerhim, say "Many Aellerhim elves use the Crystal Grass to mark the graves of their ancestors." (Of course, I doubt the Aellerhim would do that, but it was just an example.)

When you say, "The only elven family known to date that has this effect on normal grass is the Darkchild family which traditionally sprinkle Darkchild blood over Darkchild graves" you prevent any one from being able to use this plant. Be more general to allow this beautiful flower to be used by more than just your family.

Add a Researcher's section! Say something like "The Darkchild family has done research and studied this plant for generations due to its growth over family graves. The current researcher is Sinen Darkchild..." Then you can describe more how you research it and what sort of things you do.

Generalize and make the plant less yours and more Santharia's.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Sinen Darkchild

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2003, 22:47:00 »

I see I will have to get more into this than I realized. First off, The example of the Darkchild grave is a family tradition, not an elven one. Other uses can be found. when i get the thoughts entering my head i'll update the original post, and fix it to people's liking. Maybe, I'll go through with the full detail on its production, but that includes a new creature I haven't fully made yet. Damn.

I don't mean it to seem like it is Darkchild specific, but honestly, they discovered it, and the little known about it is written by them so what can I say?

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2003, 23:03:00 »

They discovered it? How do you discover something like this? If it has always grown over some elven graves and has always been part of a tribe's life, who can 'discover' it? That's like someone discovering air or the sun or the moon.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2003, 02:26:00 »

Sinen, Rayne is right here.
You can restrict it to your family, though it will be VERY rare then, but do an extra researcher section and mention your family name only then. See, if some one finds this grass, he could describe it without knowing about the blood thingy, maybe assuming it. This you can add then in the research section.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Sinen Darkchild

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2003, 09:40:00 »

Ok, first I've updated the original post so take a look.

second, Rayne, it doesn't cover some elven graves. That is a Darkchild tradition, It was originally discovered on battlefields and other places where blood may fall.It doesn't grow in massive fields, but in small clumps so it would be easy to miss thus its considered rare. Most people don't see it except when the sun shines just right or if they actively search for it(doubts that would happen if they didn't know about it).

Anyway, updated the original post. See if that is better

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2003, 13:58:00 »

I'm asking you to generalize it. As I said before, making it less yours and more Santharia's. Let more people have this plant grow over the graves of their ancestors rather than just you. Santharia isn't a place where everyone is simply out for themselves to make plants and animals only they can use or making certain powerful objects that belong only to them. We're all in this together. Most of us here do have RPG profiles, but we don't try to make our characters better than everyone else's by having certain animals and plants that are only for us. We don't name certain places after ourselves. (And I should note that Arti named it the Rayne River, not me. I just found it. ~_~; ) We're working on building a world here. Yes, we like unique plants like this, but making them belong just for you isn't fair to others and makes you come off as someone who is only here at the forum to ensure your character is better than everyone else's, who has more than anyone else, and that isn't right.

Extend the persons from whose blood this grass grows. I really want to see this plant on the site, but I want it to be less selfish.

I wrote a poem that mentions this plant, just incase you were interested and wished to see. I plan to post it in the Library. It'd be a pity if it couldn't go up.

Edited by: Rayne Avalotus  at: 1/20/03 7:59:01 pm

Sinen Darkchild

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2003, 14:48:00 »

I've changed the post again. take a look

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2003, 14:55:00 »

What did you change? It still says, "He thought there would be others that cause this plant to grow but in all his day he never discovered any other."

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]