Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Black Birch  (Read 1498 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 19 January 2003, 19:12:00 »

Myth/Lore anyone? Come on.. dark mysterious tree here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Birch

Overview: The Black birch is a rather dark tree with bark that tends to be a deep black and adorned with white horizontal lines that appear like scars. The leaves are also a dark green or dark grayish-green and are larger than most. The tree is typically extremely sturdy and the wood is hard and close-grained.

Appearance: The Black Birch is known for its dark appearance. These trees have a dark black bark that isn’t thin or paper-like as most birch trees. The tree is adorned with small whitish scars that run in short horizontal lines over its trunk and its slender branches. Its twigs are small and have a delicate look to them. The shape of the tree is a tall one, with a round top that give it a full appearance. These trees can reach anywhere from 18 to 24 peds high. The leave of these dark birches are a little larger than most birch leaves by a few nailsbreadths. These leaves are a dark green to dark grayish green color. The cones of the Black Birch are about half as big as the leaves. They’re usually a dark brown or dark reddish brown. The cones grow upward from the joints between the branch and the leaf-stem.

Territory: The Black Birch can e found from the Shaded Forest all the way to Quallion. It lives primarily in the Hovel Frond Forest, where some believe the tree originated among the Diorye’oleal Dark Elves. It can also be found in Boulder, though it has never been found inside Thaelon. It has also been found in the Goltherlon Forest, Paelelon and Almatrar.

Usages: The Black Birch is used for bow making, though bows of Black Birch require a strong arm to string and thus aren’t as popular as most other bow trees. They are, however, able to carry an arrow rather far. The Black Birch is also used for making arrow shafts because ones made with this word tend to be more durable and last longer than most other woods. The Black Birch is also popularly used for making furniture because of the wood’s hard and closed-grained properties.

Myth/Lore: The myth of the black birch dated back to the fall of Fá’áv’cál’âr and the infamous Avásh’aelía, known to humans as the Bone Queen. It is said after the Final Wars, Avásh’aelía and Sohlim, her brother who by then was known as Saban the Second, migrated to Southern Sarvonia, but on the way, while in the Hovel Frond Forest, errupted in a furious disagreement that to this day is unknown and lies only in theory and imagination. It is bel;ieved by most that he was disturbed by her bloodthirsy nature and wished her to be exiled, fearing that one day she would try to usurp away his power.

He left her in the Hovel Frond Forest, and it is believed that, in all her sadness and anger, Black birches grew in her footsteps, as black and as scarred as her soul. Though, as legend goes, she has since returned to the haunted marshes in which Fá’áv’cál’âr resides, the trees still grow in astonishing numbers in and around the Hovel Frond Forest..

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 5/11/03 6:47:47 pm

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2003, 00:44:00 »

After reading Dalá's "Debt of Bones," this tree is beginning to remind me of the Bone Queen. Elegant and a scarred appearance. Maybe we can work something about her into the Lore?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2003, 22:45:00 »

Getting back to my poor, neglected birches... I finally wrote up a myth/lore for my black birch! After reading some good information Avásh'aelía.

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2003, 07:26:00 »

Black Birch

Overview: The Black Birch is a rather dark tree, with bark that tends to be a deep black and adorned with white horizontal lines that appear like scars. The leaves are also a dark green or dark grayish-green and are larger than other birches. The tree is typically extremely sturdy and the wood is hard and close-grained.

Appearance: The Black Birch is known for its dark appearance. It has a dark black bark that isn’t as thin or as paper-like as the bark of most birch trees. The tree is adorned with small whitish scars that run in short horizontal lines over its trunk and its slender branches. Its twigs are small and have a delicate look to them. The shape of the tree is a tall globe above a long, slimb trunk, with a rounded top that gives it a full appearance. These trees can reach anywhere from 18 to 24 peds high. The leaves of these dark birches are a little larger than most birch leaves by a few nailsbreadths. These leaves are a dark green to dark grayish-green color. The soft 'cones' of the Black Birch are about half as big as the leaves. They’re usually a dark brown or dark reddish-brown. The cones grow upward from the joints between the branch and the leaf-stem.

Territory: The Black Birch can be found from the Shaded Forest all the way to Quallion. It lives primarily in the Hovel Frond Forest, where some believe the tree originated among the Diorye’oleal Dark Elves. It can also be found in Boulder, though it has never been found inside Thaelon. It has also been found in the Goltherlon Forest, Paelelon and Almatrar.

Usages: The Black Birch is used for bow making, though bows of Black Birch require a strong arm to string and thus aren’t as popular as most other bow trees. They are, however, able to carry an arrow rather far. The Black Birch is also used for making arrow shafts because arrows made with this wood tend to be more durable and last longer than most other woods, rarely splitting or fracturing. The Black Birch is also popularly used for making furniture because of the wood’s hard and close-grained properties.

Myth/Lore: The well-known myth of the Black Birch dates back to the fall of Fá’áv’cál’âr and the infamous Avásh’aelía, known to humans as the Bone Queen. It is said after the Final Wars, Avásh’aelía and Sohlim, her brother who by then was known as Saban the Second, migrated to Southern Sarvonia, but on the way, while in the Hovel Frond Forest, their emotions erupted in a furious disagreement that to this day is unknown and lies only in theory and imagination. It is believed by most that Saban was disturbed by his sister's bloodthirsy nature and wished her to be exiled, fearing that one day she would try to usurp away his power.

He left her in the Hovel Frond Forest, and it is believed that, as she wandered there in all her sadness and anger, Black Birches grew in her footsteps, as black and as scarred as her soul. Though, as legend goes, she has since returned to the haunted marshes in which Fá’áv’cál’âr resides, the trees still grow in astonishing numbers in and around the Hovel Frond Forest...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 5/11/03 6:34:56 pm

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]