Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Kragghi Vine  (Read 15050 times)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« on: 15 June 2004, 18:54:00 »

UPDATE OF KRAGGHI VINE

Kragghi Vine: alternately  Krr’ah’ghi (Orcen),   Krrahghi (Kuglimz’seitre),  Krahgi (ThergerimTaal),  Kraggy (Peasant Tharian)

Basic Overview of the Plant
The Kragghi is a ground-hugging, cold-tolerant vine which contains a spicy red sap used as a flavouring by various races in Northern Sarvonia, mostly the Kuglimz and various Orc tribes, though its popularity is growing.

Description
A single segmented ground vine about three nailsbreadths in diameter, the Kragghi at first glance resembles a very large and ugly centipede.  Its rough surface is herne (grey green) in colour and the segments are about two palmspans long, with irregular swollen joints.   Several shallow root filaments, also herne green in colour,  fan out from the base of each joint, holding the plant firmly against the earth.  The vines zig-zag along the ground, each segment sprouting at a different angle from the next.   If not harvested, the Kragghi can grow as much as 3 peds long.

It has small, thin, spiky leaves, resembling short grass blades or Tulmine needles, which protrude upwards directly from the joints between segments. The leaves are a dull greenish-gray colour, slightly darker than that of the vine itself.  There are usually about 15-20 leaves per cluster.  Each leaf is about 1 ˝- 2 nailsbreadths long.  They have sharp points but are fairly flexible. Care must be taken to avoid scratching one’s hands during harvesting.

The segments are formed of a tough, fibrous outer shell rather like yealm reed’s exterior, which is lined with a slick inner membrane.  This membrane contains the spongy ‘pith’ or core of the vine, which in its turn is filled with the bright red, spicy sap.  The sap is a thick, gelatinous substance containing tiny black oval seeds, usually about 8-10 per segment.  It is very strong-flavoured and in its natural state, exceedingly bitter. For this reason, it has no natural predators (barring sentient races who like spicy food.)

Territory
The Kragghi is a cold-climate plant that grows throughout Northern Sarvonia.  It is prevalent in the Oro hills and the Celeste Lowlands and can be found as far north as the Gulf of Oh’cant’aelwyn.  It may also be found in the southern regions of Cyhalloi, and the northernmost islands of Yamalquain, though it is not particularly common there.  Kragghi grow best in direct sunlight, and are usually found in fairly exposed, high altitude areas, rather than thickly forested places.  It tends to grow better once it is past the tree line in the Oro foothills and the Tandalas.

Reproduction
The Kragghi does not flower or produce fruit of any kind.  It is a perennial plant which reproduces itself through the tiny seeds found in the sap. During the coldest months, the tough outer shell of the plant begins to break down and decay so that, in early spring, the seeds are released into the earth and begin to sprout and grow almost immediately, reaching full maturity within a couple of months.  The decayed remains of last season’s plants provide plenty of nutrient rich material for the seeds to grow in.  The plant is then harvested throughout the summer and fall seasons.  The individual segments are stripped off, usually only a few per vine, as the newest growth is fresher and contains more sap.

Usages
The thick spicy gel is a favourite flavouring among the Losh-Oc, the Ashz-Oc, and to a lesser extent, the various Kuglimz tribes.  Once harvested, the thick sap is usually squeezed out of the individual segments and placed in sealed containers with a little added water.  Thus it remains usable for several months.  It is usually just added directly to food such as soups or stews early in the cooking stage, for it has to cook for a little while to lose the harsh bitterness characteristic of the raw sap.  The Kuglimz mix a little Kragghi with ale, weeprout,  and various other ingredients, and cook it into a sauce which works well for meats but may also be used with legumes, or vegetables.  (They creatively call it Krrahghi sauce, or "mus'krrahghi")
A less-well-known usage of the Kragghi, among the Ashmari, and the orcs, is as a threat of  punishment for bad language in Ashmari children or rebellious orclings, eg. –“If you say that word again, I will scrub your mouth with raw Krrahghi!”  It is a remarkably effective, if somewhat cruel way of curbing an unruly tongue.  The Kuglimz tribes will also sometimes use Kragghi sap to stop nervy horses from "cribbing", or chewing on their wooden mangers, when stabled.  

Myth/Origins/Sayings/Folklore (optional)

The Kuglimz tell a story of how the Krr’ah’ghi was originally a gigantic worm, loosely allied with the orcs, with a savagely vicious temper.  According to this tale, it was created by an orcish mage to aid them in ridding Caelereth of what the orcs call “lesser” races. It ranged from 8 to 10 peds long, and had boiling hot blood that would cause severe burns if it came into contact with human flesh.  The Krr’ah’ghi worm would attack the human settlements and prey on little children.  The All-Mother Lier’tyan, was displeased and ordered the Krr’ah’ghi to seek other, non human-child, prey.  The great beast refused to obey and Lier’tyan, in distress, consulted with her consort and they turned the worm into a plant.  Its massive body shrank, its many small legs grew into the ground and became roots, while its hot blood thickened into the gelatinous sap.  The sap remains hot and bitter today, to provide good Kuglimz children with an object lesson about nasty temper and disobedience, and how the kind All-Mother used these things to provide something good for her children.  A quick-tempered individual might be spoken of as being “hot as a Kragghi!”

Alysse the Likely

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/3/04 12:28

Alysse the Likely
Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2004, 11:01:00 »

I like some of the different things that you have in there such as using it to "wash out" someone's mouth.  You have everything in there that you really need, it just seems rather short.  I would add more description, and I'll say it before Rayne does, "details".  Though she can prolly give you better suggestions on what details are needed.

Dirg'mystrume of the Helvet'ine Kuglim.  
Lord of the North

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2004, 11:44:00 »

::wanders in, waves hello, and gets to work.::

You know the drill. My comments in this pretty color.

Basic Overview of the Plant
The Kragghi is a ground-hugging, cold-tolerant vine which contains a spicy red sap used as a flavouring by various races in Northern Sarvonia, mostly the Kuglimz and various Orc tribes.

Description
A grayish (grey is a pretty generalized color. Try to be specific, especially in color, because you never know what curious artist is peeking over these entries! Is this more of a light, cloudy sort of grey? Or more of a dark ashy sort of grey? Using figurative language helps!), segmented ground vine about three nailsbreadths in diameter (this sentence implies that there is only one vine to this plant, and that it is 3 nb in diameter. I would think this plant might have more than one vine to it?), the Kragghi at first glance resembles a very large and ugly centipede (This is a GREAT comparison! It also helps me give you more to work with. The centipede has a few diferent forms. Does your vine have small ridges in the exterior like this centipede? Or if your vine more smooth, like this one? As you can see in the pictures, the centipede, while having segments, doesn't really have joints). The segments are about two palmspans long, with irregular swollen joints. Several shallow root filaments fan out from the base of each joint, holding the plant firmly against the earth (How deep in the earth do they grow? Are they white?). The vines zig-zag along the ground, each segment sprouting at a different angle from the next.

It has small spiky leaves, resembling short grass blades or Tulmine needles, which protrude upwards directly from the joints between segments. The leaves are a dull greenish-gray colour, slightly darker than that of the vine itself. (I imagine that these leaves are clustered thickly? The vine still needs to survive, afeter all! About how many leaves are clustered at each joint? Also, on the leaves themselves, about how long are they? Are they stiff? There is a bit of a difference in the flexibility of a grass blade and that of a Tulmine leaf, after all!)

The segments are formed of a tough, fibrous outer shell rather like yealm reed’s exterior, which is lined with a slick inner membrane. This membrane contains the spongy ‘pith’ or core of the vine, which in its turn is filled with the bright red, spicy sap. The sap is a thick, gelatinous substance containing tiny black oval seeds (a few grains from end to end?). It is very strong-flavoured and in its natural state, exceedingly bitter.

(How big can this vine get? If left to creep, what size area might it inhabit? Also, you might want to mention where exactly it lives. Does it do better in darkness? Perhaps it thirves better around forests or trees? Then again, perhaps it prefers direct sunlight, and typically grows in plains or along the mountain side?)

Territory
The Kragghi is a cold-climate plant that grows throughout Northern Sarvonia It is prevalent in the Oro hills and the Celeste Lowlands and can be found as far north as the Gulf of Oh’cant’aelwyn. It may also be found in the southern regions of Cyhalloi, and the northernmost islands of Yamalquain, though it is not particularly common there.

Reproduction
This plant reproduces itself through the tiny seeds found in the sap. During the coldest months, the tough outer shell of the plant decays (But if the outer shell decayed, then wouldn't the entire plant fall apart? This plant, noting your de*****ion, has three layers, essentially: The outter shell, the membrane, then the pith, in which the seeds are kept. Does the plant die year after year to release it's seeds? Or does the plant form multiple series of this three-layer combination?) so that, in early spring, the seeds are released into the earth and begin to sprout and grow almost immediately, reaching full maturity within a couple of months. The plant is then harvested throughout the summer and fall seasons.

Usages
The thick spicy gel is a favourite flavouring (For... various types of meat? For vegetables? for what, exactly? Maybe just for cooking in general?) among the Losh-Oc and to a lesser extent, the various Kuglimz tribes. Once harvested, the thick sap is usually squeezed out of the individual segments and placed in sealed containers with a little added water. Thus it remains usable for quite some time. It is usually just added directly to food such as soups or stews (It's only used for these things?) early in the cooking stage, for it must cook for a while to lose the harsh bitterness characteristic of the raw sap. (Perhaps it is often cooked before being stored in jars to get rid of the bitter flavor? Or maybe it's stored in warm places so that the biter taste can drain away more naturally? How long does it last?)

A less-well-known usage of the Kragghi, among the Ashmari, is as a threat of punishment for bad language in Ashmari children, eg. –“If you say that word again, I will scrub your mouth with raw Krrahghi!” It is a remarkably effective, if somewhat cruel way of curbing an unruly tongue. (Hehe. Nice.)

Myth/Origins/Sayings/Folklore (optional)

The Kuglimz tell a story of how the Krr’ah’ghi was originally a gigantic worm, loosely allied with the orcs, with a savagely vicious temper. The Krr’ah’ghi worm would attack the human settlements and prey on little children. The All-Mother Lier’tyan, was displeased and ordered the Krr’ah’ghi to seek other, non human-child, prey. The great beast refused to obey and Lier’tyan, in distress, consulted with her consort and they turned the worm into a plant. Its many small legs grew into the ground and became roots, while its hot blood thickened into the gelatinous sap. The sap remains hot and bitter today, to provide good Kuglimz children with an object lesson about nasty temper and disobedience, and how the kind All-Mother used these things to provide something good for her children. A quick-tempered individual might be spoken of as being “hot as a Kragghi!” (besides maybe adding a bit more detail here about more of what the worm did, what it looked like, how it became allied with the orcs, who originally created it - or maybe who summoned it from the Netherworlds- etc., I have no problems here.)

Don't forget your other entries! Oink.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2004, 11:50:00 »

Thanks Drogo!

I added a couple more things--you're right, it's not terribly long.  Is Rayne the moderator for the Herbarium too?  If so, I can expect to get plenty of suggestions! :p  
(Seriously,  Rayne, I thank you very much for all your suggestions and comments--they're much appreciated!)

Oh, BTW, if there are opportunities to update and revise old entries, I'll gladly help, especially for the Northern Sarvonian territory...( :pet  :wave   "Oh!  Pick me, pick me please please, pretty please with foridite on top?"  )  :D  

Thanks again,

Alysse the Likely

Edited by: Alysse theLikely at: 6/15/04 19:53

Alysse the Likely
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2004, 11:54:00 »

I used to be moderator of the Beastiary Forum and teh Magic forum, but Artimidor got rid of all the moderstors because we were all being lazy. :p  In any case, I know what it's like to wait weeks on an entry without getting a reply, so I help where I can. Talia taught me that without commenting, no progress is made. She's a pretty smart lady. ;)

In any case, if the entry isn't listed as being revisable, it's usually best to check with either Artimidor or the person who wrote the entry to make sure its ok to revise. If you can get approval, though, I would say go for it!

:heart  

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2004, 15:57:00 »

Thanks, Rayne!  As always, your critique is exhaustively thorough and comprehensive.:D

I'll work on those, but just to clear up one point:

The vine isn't EXACTLY like a centipede, there's just a similarity. I wasn't intending to compare it to a particular type.  I may not be an entomologist, but I do know that centipedes don't have joints.  I was attempting to evoke the emotional "ugh" with which most of us respond to a centipede to convey the idea of the plant more accurately.

Hopefully that clarifies the issues
:)

Alysse the Likely

Alysse the Likely
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2004, 08:59:00 »

(grins at both Alysse and Rayne) :D

@ Alysse:  So happy to see my Kragghi finally resurrected from the depths of ancient history, and elegantly described!

For the rest of you who may not know, this vine was mentioned as one of the very first Herbarium entries before the current scheme was developed, and was never fleshed out.  Finally it has borne fruit!  (er, is that literally?  Does the Kragghi bear any kind of flower or fruit?  What are those seeds inside for, Alysse? :veryconfused  )

@ Rayne:  You are so thorough, you haven't left me any comments!  Hmpph....stop 'hogging' all the editing duties or I'll 'oink' back at you!  
:devilish  (this one looks a little porcine, neh?)

(Oh Alysse, that was a subtle hint methinks...)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2004, 09:14:00 »

I have to say that I truly admire you, Rayne, and Talia for the way you edit.  I just don't have the patience to be honest, plus I am not the most detail oriented unfortunately.  We are indeed lucky to have you three looking over entries.

Lord of the North

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2004, 11:32:00 »

Okay, I'm confuzzled, why all the pig jokes  :veryconfused  

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2004, 14:15:00 »

:o  Sorry, Mommy-Judith! You can comment on Scene 2 of my play, if you like!

Kik, the pig jokes are due to Alysse's other entry, th domestic pig.

:: pats Kik's head::

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2004, 21:14:00 »

Check it out, it's a Kragghi update!    (No, my dear Masterbard, that is NOT like going out with a happy plant, just to forestall your punaciously puckish sense of humour.) :b  

I tried to include most of your comments, Rayne.  And maybe sometime soon, I'll write up the mus'krrahghi recipe for the cookery book, in my copious spare time!:rolleyes

Thanks!

Alysse the Likely

Alysse the Likely
Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2004, 21:23:00 »

Ah, better.  one must truly do something besides twittling their thumbs with all their copious extra time.  Your thumbs must be ever so tired ;)  

Lord of the North

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2004, 06:26:00 »

Alysse, do you know what happens when a sense of humour gets forestalled?  :speechless   Especially a pugnacious (er, I mean 'punacious') and risible one?

It chokes, coughs, sputters, and stops running - from the front, of course - and has to be taken in to a really good witticismechanic for a complete overhaul!

I may need to send you the bill... :rollin  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2004, 23:56:00 »

So, does this entry work for now?  Do I need to do anything more with it?  I am assuming not, from the lack of further comments, but if anything does need work, I'd like to fix it before the next update:)

Thanks!

Alysse the Likely

Alysse the Likely
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2004, 19:57:00 »

I hereby mark it as approved by the Herbarium Mistress.

(here you need to visualize a rather untidy and illegible signature done with a quill pen that needs recutting, in a dull green ink... and then a woodcut stamp behind it...)

APPROVED!

Hey, Art, has she got enough entries to start thinking about a team member page yet?  :wave   (waves at Alysse merrily)

Edited by: Bard Judith at: 7/2/04 3:58

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]