Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fire Sparks  (Read 5124 times)
Erian Melor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 28 July 2005, 08:02:00 »

Name: Flying Sparks, Sun Sparks, Fire Sparks, Burning Grass or Blood Grass

Category: Grasses

Overview: The Flying Sparks is a grass that can only be found in Northern Sarvonia. It is unique among other grasses in that it traps living creatures and uses their decomposing bodies for nourishment. The name "Flying Sparks“ is derived from its seeds who need extreme heat to germinate and are carried away by the arising winds during a grass fire, resembling fiery sparks, especially in the night. But as spectacular is the sight, when the seeds are blown away by the winds by day, glimmering in the sun in a red-golden hue. "Burning Grass“ or "Blood Grass“ it is called because of its appearance in autumn, when whole areas in the north are dipped in a karikrimson red. It is easy to recognize a field of Burning Grass that has burnt to the ground, for a mass of scorched bones still remain even though the grass has been consumed by flames.

Description: The Burning Grass grows to be a ped and a fore in height and has long slender blades. Upon closer inspection, tiny hooks can be seen on the blades of the grass. It is soft and flexible, but has tough fibers that are not easily torn. In autumn, the grass appears to be a raging fire as it is blown by the wind, but the color of the grass varies depending upon the season. In spring, the grass has a bright golden hue, and the blade ends in a red tip. Each blade of grass is covered in tiny sor’inyt orange flowers. Each flower is shaped like a star with five distinct points, and golden pistils extend from the center of the shallow flower. As summer approaches, the gold slowly recedes and the red becomes more prominent. The blade of grass will have turned completely red by the end of summer. In autumn during the month of Sleeping Dreameress, the grass is dark red in color and has a gold tip. Colder temperatures kill the grass, and it turns a light brown during the winter months. The grass can survive some frost, but any temperatures that are extremely cold will kill it. Even the roots perish in temperatures such as these. During the month of Awakening Earth, the grass releases seeds that appear to be tiny sparks as they ride the wind. This is a spectacular event, for each one glows as it is basked in the sunlight.

Special Abilities: Unlike most plants, the Flying Sparks does not passively wait for nutrients. Instead, it hooks onto any living creature unfortunate enough to be wandering through a field of this grass. The grass will hold the person or animal for days until they die of thirst and hunger. It is able to hold on to its victims through tiny hooks that cover the blades of grass. Each blade of grass reacts to movement and tightens as the prey struggles. The hooks cut deeper as the prey moves around and are almost impossible to remove. The grass entangles with itself as well and escape is nearly impossible. Anyone who attempts to rescue the victims will be entangled as well. Also the grass is slightly toxic, and any animals or people that feed upon it will be paralyzed for days. A few animals are small enough to evade the notice of the grass, for they do not disturb enough of the blades to be noticed. Though smaller animals can venture within fields of Blood Grass, the toxin will still temporarily paralyze them. The grass mainly feeds upon larger animals such as the Woolly Boar, and predators are often lured into the field of grass by the sight of struggling herbivores. The tips of the grass are incredibly sweet, and they give off a pleasant aroma that is delightful to any herbivore. The grass has even been known to capture predators as large as the White Bear. Only the Eaón Thróg ("Armored Beast") and the Shatí Raín (“Winged Warrior”) can safely venture into fields of this grass. The Eaón Thróg is unharmed due to its smooth armor that is not affected by the hooks and due to the mammal’s natural immunity to the plant's toxin. The Shatí Raín has neither the Eaón Thróg’s armor nor its immunity, but it is able to dart at such a speed that the grass cannot catch it. The Eaón Thróg feeds upon the roots of the grass, and the Shatí Raín consumes the fiery seeds. The grass detangles once all movement has stopped, and the prey is dead.

Territory: The Flying Sparks once only grew in the northernmost regions of Northern Sarvonia such as the Icelands Coast and the Peninsula of Iol. The roots grew within the frosty soil, and each harsh winter would kill the grass. It has since spread as far south as the Grasslands of Cahm'ha'dom. Its territory is often wherever the seeds were blown in the previous year. Only the Eaón Thróg, the Shatí Raín, and the common Grass Snake make their home within the predator grass.

Usages: The toxin that is held within the blades of the grass is often used by the various tribes of both humans and elves to coat their weapons. The toxin does not kill its victim, instead it paralyzes them temporarily so that they cannot move a muscle. The toxin can safely be collected in winter from dead grass, but it will be much weaker than that of the live grass. That collected from the dead plants will merely slow down its victims. Few men are bold or foolish enough to venture into a field of live Fire Sparks to retrieve the toxin. The few men that ventured into such fields never returned. Only a few men have been clever enough to gather the toxin safely from the rim of the field, and they guard their secret of obtaining the toxin with their lives.

The eggs of the Shatí Raín are highly prized by many tribes for their medicinal value. A beverage made from the yolk has been known to break fevers and ease bodily pain. Such a beverage has been known to cure the worst headaches in mere moments. It is not enough to drink the yolk, it must be allowed to sit for a week in an open container. It is unknown as to why it must be a week old, but the yolk has been found to be useless when it has not been allowed to age. The eggs can only be found in a Shatí Raín rookery that is made from the nests of several birds. Such rookeries are normally in the center of a field, and many men have lost their lives as they searched for them. Both men and Grass Snakes compete for possession of the eggs, but unlike men the Grass Snake’s smooth scales allow it to slither through the grass with ease. A Grass Snake will consume all the eggs in a rookery unless a mob of Shatí Raíns attack the serpent and drive it away.

Reproduction: The Sun Sparks grass produces tiny sor’inyt orange flowers in the month of Awakening Earth, and these flowers produce seeds that are released into the wind. The seeds will grow wherever they land, but they cannot germinate without fire. Until they are set on fire, they will just lie there or be eaten by an animal. These seeds cannot be digested by any animals except the Shatí Raín, so unless they are eaten by that small bird they will be returned to the earth to await the day they will be set ablaze. Each seed is capable of producing a carpet of grass that is one square-ped in size. However, if it happens, that a field of the Flying Sparks grass itself burns, the seeds are set on fire immediately and are blown away burning - as Fire Sparks. These seeds are germinating wherever they land.

Myth/Lore: The most known myth originates among the Ice Tribes, and it tells of the creation of the Blood Grass. This myth has never been written until now. It has survived the centuries by being passed by word of mouth from father to son.

Ertemmir covered the earth with grass of different beautiful hues, and his creation was beautiful to behold. Pargis was soon consumed with jealousy, and he covered the land with his icy breath. Ertemmir pleaded with the god of eternal flames to aid him against the cruel lord of ice. Peierojon coaxed his beautiful flames to burn upon the ice itself and soon a layer of soil was defrosted, though ice remained beneath. Peierojon also gave the seeds the ability to sprout after being basked in his flames, so that the ice could never again conquer Ertemmir's creation.

The deity of the earth forbade the creatures of Northern Sarvonia from eating the grass. It was his most beautiful creation, and he could not bear to see it devoured by the lowly beasts. The grass was delicious and almost every animal ate of it, despite the constant earth shaking sent as warnings from Ertemmir. He soon realized that the grass would have to defend itself if it were to survive the ravenous appetites of the beasts. He formed hooks upon each blade of grass and gave it the ability to feed upon the creatures that had once greedily fed upon the Burning Grass. The grass became toxic and even more delicious than before, for Ertemmir wished for the animals to suffer for their transgressions. Only one animal had never eaten of the grass, and the Eaón Thróg was greatly rewarded for its obedience. The small mammal would never starve, for it was the only creature that could consume the Blood Grass and survive.                  

Erian Melor~The spark of life rests upon the edge of a knife.
~Elf Age Calculator
~Measures Converter

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/12/05 20:33
Norkin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2005, 10:46:00 »

I like the idea of a plant that eats the animal instead of viceversa, I also like the idea of the mouse being thought as a pest because it turnt a grass agaisnt all animals:lol

I see the entry is just coming along and I am intruiged by how a grass eats something:confused

Nice Idea

Norkin

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2005, 10:57:00 »

Fantastic, Erian. I have of course a lot to comment, but don't have the time just now, but will surely do it later.

What you can change already is your myth, for the 12 gods of Santharia are fairly unknown in Northern Sarvonia. Look at the god entries there, I think Lofurno would fit well to this grass, maybe --ah well, later.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2005, 15:11:00 »

Erian, your idea has carried me away, so a lot of the following is not just comment, but proposal, to make it even better :)  

Name: The Burning Grass

Overview: The Burning Grass can only be found in Northern Sarvonia. It is unique among other grasses in that it traps living creatures and uses their decomposing bodies for nourishment. Its name is derived from its appearance and from the fact that the grass only grows where the ground has been burned.

Description: The Burning Grass grows to be a ped and a fore in height and has long slender blades. It   is soft and flexible,    but has tough fibres that are not easily torn. In autumn (or, in the month of the ....)  the grass appears to be a raging fire as it is blown by the wind, but the color of the   it varies depending upon the season. In spring, the grass has a bright golden hue, and the blade ends in a red tip. As summer approaches, the gold slowly recedes and the red becomes more prominent. The blade of grass will have turned completely red by the end of summer. In autumn, the grass is dark red in color and has a gold tip. Colder temperatures kill the grass, and it turns a light brown during the winter months. The grass dies above ground each winter, but the roots survive and the grass grows again each spring. This plant flourishes in warmer climates and cannot survive anything below freezing.

You should overthink this passage. For one, northern Sarvonia is mainly a cold region. You can‘t say, the grass flourishes in warmer regions. I would even say, that it stands a little frost, so that not every premature cold night kills it (just a little)

Special Abilities: Unlike most plants, the Burning Grass does not passively wait for nutrients. Instead, it grabs any living creature unfortunate enough to be wandering nearby. The grass will hold the person or animal for months until they die of thirst and hunger. Their corpse then decomposes and provides nutrients for the grass and enriches the soil. The grass has a unique look and most creatures are curious enough to look closer. It is as they approach the grass that it strikes with lightning speed and entangles them in its blades. Anyone who attempts to rescue the victim will be caught as well.

This is a bit unlikely, you have to expand on this. How „grabs“ it the animals? It has just blades. Maybe it emanates a smell , or various smells, which allures the beast to venture into it - and then the blades entangle, so that you can‘t escape. But you have to describe this tiny hooks or whatever there is which does the entangling.

Territory: The Burning Grass can only be found in Northern Sarvonia. It is most often seen in the Grasslands of Cahm'ha'dom, but it only grows where the ground has recently been burnt. It also grows from the roots of the grass that died in the winter months. It is in this manner that the grass may grow where a fire burned years ago.

This that it only grows, where it has burnt doesn‘t  work somehow. For it would not regrow out of the roots, if there is no fire. But after, say two years, it might have withered away and a fire in this place would not be possible. Let it expand a bit and add some new ideas to it.

First: The grasslands you choose as territory are nice, but when asking - why is this grass as it is, why developed it this habit of eating animals (we don‘t ask this though), then you need a reason, for the soil in these grass lands are surely fertile enough for a mere grass.
My idea now is following: Expand territory to the grassy or even more tundralike regions of Northern Sarvonia, the heath of wilderon and to the left and right on the map. There, high up, we could assume, that the soil is frozen most of the year, except, say, the upper handspan. Then the grass would get not enough nutrition and need another foodsource - or an enrichment of the upper part of the soil.
There is its origin, later on it ventured to the south, were it can be found now flourishing in the grasslands you mentioned.
The burning: I would say, it is not necessary for normal regrowth out of the roots, for what can the ashes, though fertile, add? Maybe it grows better after a fire, for then the nutrition are all in the soil, where otherwise it would take longer for the old grass to rot.
However - you need to have flowers/seeds as well so that it can spread more easily over a whole continent.  these seeds need the fire to be able to germinate and maybe the fire is so fiery, that this kind of wind comes up - and this wind carries the seeds over greater distances (than without) The seeds could even look like little fire sparks when driven away.. Must be a spectacular event! Do you like it?

Usages: The grass has no purpose as either a medicine or a poison, but its slender blades are often used by the Kanapans to produce rope. The blades of grass are gathered in the winter when they are harmless. They are then twisted together and soaked in water overnight. The fibres of the plant absorb the water as it soaks, and by morning the rope will be tough and hard to cut. The Kanapans spend many hours during the winter crafting these ropes. The Artyrhon Elves often buy this rope, for it is considered to be among the best in the world of Caelereth.

Are you sure, this rope thing works this way? The only thing I know is working with a kind of wood *don‘t know the name* - you soak it in water, form it to what you want and then you dry it - and then it is quite hard.

The Burning Grass is also used as bedding, for the blades of grass are incredibly soft. Once again, the grass can only be collected in the winter. A family that owns a bed made of Burning Grass is considered to be lucky, for the grass is not easy to find.

This goes somehow not together, the entangling and killing  - is it soft, after it was frozen?

If you say, it is not easy to find, then vast fields of grandiose looking burning grass are not possible. Maybe you can use only the thin blades for your  bedding, and that is one out of ten, 20 or more?

Myth/Lore: The grass was first created by Jeyriall to withstand the inferno of Foiros's flames that raged upon the world of Caelereth. Foiros soon banished his flames to the Underworlds and other kinds of flora began to flourish. The Burning Grass continued to grow where it always had; it grew each spring from the roots of the grass that had lived in the previous year. Jeyriall was pleased that her beautiful creation flourished even without the heat of the flames. She made the blades of the grass soft and comfortable and was delighted when the creatures of Caelereth began using the grass as bedding. The Goddess of the Harvest allowed the creatures to lie on the grass, but she would not let any harm come to it. She forbade the creatures from eating the grass, and most agreed to Jeyriall's wish.

The only creature that dared to eat of the grass was the field mouse. The animal had an appetite that he could not resist, and constantly ate the Burning Grass. Jeyriall was not a goddess of either judgment or vengeance, so she turned to her mate, Armeros, and he was the one that passed judgment on the creature that dared to disobey a goddess. His judgment was that instead of the mouse eating the grass, the grass would be the one to consume the mouse. He granted the grass the ability to grab living creatures and hold them as they slowly died. All creatures in the world of Caelereth suffered for the mouse's transgression, for no longer could they use the grass as bedding. Today, the field mouse is a shunned creature that will be shooed away from any home he enters.

A nice myth, but not workable, for the twelve are not known in Northern Sarvonia. Maybe you find something to keep the mouse myth, but with the black bull?

See here:

www.santharia.com/religions/lorfurno.htm

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2005, 14:08:00 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Edits have been made.;)  I changed the territory instead of the myth, I really like that myth.

~Elf Age Calculator
~Measures Converter

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2005, 13:02:00 »

Erian, I think it is not a good idea to bring it down to Santharia, but I don't have time to comment in detail (somebody very important to me is occupying me ;)  ). Try to get to iit later.

Look at the icetribes entry meanwhile - there are a lot of gods who could fit for your myth!

Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2005, 14:31:00 »

Okay, I've changed the territory back to Northern Sarvonia, and I changed the myth. I used the gods of the Icetribes for the myth.;)  

~Elf Age Calculator
~Measures Converter

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2005, 02:17:00 »

Größe der tiere
knochen
unempfindliches tier
Wer frißt das gras?

Name: {}Flying Sparks ,Sun Sparks, Fire Sparks Burning Grass or Blood Grass, or XXX eferán

We need an elven language expert to invent a word for grass and who does the grammar right!
Burning grass is a nice name, we can have several names - the icetribes may have this name, other tribes another.

Your idea of the flying sparks was a bit different than mine - but why don‘t you work in both? The burning seeds must be a view worth in the night, but your image of the red seeds in the sunlight is fabulous as well! I tried to incorporated both, hope you like it!

Overview: The Flying Sparks is a grass that can only be found in {} Northern  {}   Sarvonia. It is unique among other grasses in that it traps living creatures and uses their decomposing bodies for nourishment. The name „Flying Sparks“ is derived from its seeds who need extreme heat  to germinate and are carried away by the arising winds during a grass fire, resembling fiery sparks, especially in the night.  But as spectacular is the sight, when the seeds are blown away by the winds by day, glimmering  in the sun in a red-golden hue. „Burning grass“ or „Blood Grass“ it is called because of its appearance in autumn, when whole areas in the north are dipped in a karikrimson red.

Description: The Flying Sparks grows to be a ped and a fore in height and has long slender blades. Upon closer inspection, tiny hooks can be seen on the blades of the grass. It is soft and flexible, but has tough fibers that are not easily torn.  The grass appears to be a raging fire as it is blown by the wind, but the color of the grass varies depending upon the season. In spring, it   has a bright golden hue, and the blade ends in a red tip. As summer approaches, the gold slowly recedes and the red becomes more prominent. The blade of grass will have turned completely red by the end of summer. In the month of Sleeping Dreameress, the grass is dark red in color and has a gold tip. Colder temperatures kill the grass, and it turns to  
a light brown during the winter months. The grass dies above ground each winter, and even the roots are killed by the cold. The grass can survive frost, but any temperatures that are extremely cold will kill it. During the month of Awakening Earth, the grass releases seeds that appear to be tiny sparks as they ride the wind. This is a spectacular event, for each one glows as it is basked in the sunlight.

I really recommend to add the „autumn“ as I proposed in my last edit.

Don‘t kill the roots, otherwise you won‘t get vast fields - or add to reproduction, that out of one seed a carpet of say, one square-ped can develop.

Special Abilities: Unlike most plants, the Flying Sparks does not passively wait for nutrients. Instead, it hooks onto any living creature unfortunate enough to be wandering through a field of this grass. The grass will hold the person or animal for months this long? you die of thirst much earlier until they die of thirst and hunger. It is able to hold on to its victims through tiny hooks that cover the blades of grass. Each hook secretes a powerful toxin that stuns the victims of the grass. Their bodies begin to slow down as the poison takes effect and paralyzes them. Their corpses will then decompose and provide nutrients for the grass and enrich the soil. Anyone who attempts to rescue the victims will be entangled as well.
Erian, it is up to you, but I would find it more frightening, if you skip the poison. How should it come through the fur of an animal? Maybe it is slightly toxic , if eaten, so you can still use it for your weapons, you just have to concentrate it. Just imagine you venture into the grass for some time, maybe oly 20 peds or so, then you want to get out again, and the grass gets so dense and each blade sticks to another, that you can‘t come out without a tool (sharp knofe f.e.) Any animal will be dead after two days of lack of water anyway. Especially, if the grass is not edible or has not many nutrients. It has to be tasty though! The grass could look quite harmless, but it van sense the steps on the ground and after a short time the hooks get into action. when movement ceases - the blades entangle themselves again. That could be a trick for humans to get out of it - keep totally quiet and motionless!

That leads to a couple of other questions which came to my mind:
- How big are the animals who are trapped into the grass?
- Why are the animals venturing into it? Is it tasty? Maybe the tips  are salty, so that the animals want to eat them?
- Maybe predators are lured into it as well, because they see other animals trapped?
Are there animals, who are not affected, but bite themselves just through it? Or others, who feed just at the rim? (If you invent some, write an overview about them, a paragraph or so for later developers)

Territory: The Flying Sparks once only grew in the northernmost regions of Northern Sarvonia. Name some!
It grew among the frosty soil, and each harsh winter would kill the grass.. It has since spread as far south as the Grasslands of Cahm'ha'dom. Its territory is often wherever the seeds were blown in the previous year.

Usages: The toxin that the grass secretes is often used by the various tribes of both humans and elves to coat their weapons. The toxin does not kill its victim, instead it paralyzes them so that they cannot move a muscle. The toxin can safely be collected in winter from dead grass, but it will be much weaker than that of the live grass. That collected from the dead plants will merely slow down its victims. Few men are bold or foolish enough to venture into a field of live Flying Sparks to retrieve the toxin. The few that have ventured into such fields never returned.

And where are your other usages?

Reproduction: The Flying Sparks grass produces seeds in the month of Awakening Earth, and most times
these seeds are released into the wind as „Sun Sparks“. The seeds will grow wherever they land, but they cannot germinate without  being exposed to   fire, which happens quite often in the big grass fires ranging in parts of the empty lands in the north.  
Until they are set on fire, they will just lie there or be eaten by an animal. These seeds cannot be digested, so even if they are eaten they will be returned to the earth to await the day they will be ablaze. However, if it happens, that a field of the Flying Sparks grass itself burns, the seeds are set on fire immediately and are blown away burning - as Fire Sparks. These seeds are germinating whereever they land.

Myth/Lore: The grass was first created by Ertemmir to mock the flames of Peierojon that raged upon the world of Caelereth. Peierojon would not tolerate this mockery, and he joined with Pargis to stand against Ertemmir. The ice of Pargis soon killed any grass that grew upon the land, and Peierojon altered the grass to require his flames before the seeds would sprout. This greatly enraged Ertemmir, but he did not know how to retaliate against the other gods. He soon sought the help of Zundefor. The great white bear taught the blades of grass how to feed upon other creatures as animals did, and the grass was soon able to flourish in even the iciest soil. Hooks had formed on each blade of grass, and each hook delivered a powerful toxin to the prey of the grass. The ice could no longer kill the grass, except during the harsh winters, but fire was still necessary for the seeds to sprout. The gods agreed to an uneasy truce, for neither pair could completely dominate the other. Such a truce does not last long among the warring gods, but their mutual creation survives to this very day.

Nice, but not very logical, and I miss the mouse variant! how can grass stop the fire?

Proposal : Ertemmir covered the earth with grass of  different beutiful hues, like with a coat.  Pargis was jealous, and covered the land with ice to kill the grass. Ertemmir went to the fire god (the oposit ot ice) for help. Peierojon helped to anger Pargis and melted the top layer of the ice. so the grass could grow again, and made the seeds through his fire resistent against any molting when landing on an icy ground. But it had not enough nutrients - therefor Ertemmir gave it the ability to trap animals

well, you could take the mouse in:  The grass was very vulnerable in the beginning, because it had not enough nutrients in this small layer of unfrozen ground. so the animlas were not allowed to eat it. The mouse did - and therefore....

Now put it in nice , poetic sentences and words

Oh yes, and mention, that you can tell there was a field of burning grass after it burned dwon, because you find still an high amount of bones there! Not all must burn to ashes, these fires pass quickly on

Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2005, 07:56:00 »

Thanx for the comments and suggestion. Edits have been made. I took out the other usages because I didn't think that a grass that has hooks would make a good bed. And truthfully, I forgot what the other one was. I like my new myth even more than I did my original.;)  Hmmm...I guess my next entry will be developing the Eaón Thróg.

~Elf Age Calculator
~Measures Converter

Edited by: Erian Melor at: 8/2/05 15:58
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2005, 10:16:00 »

And what is that? Don't tease me!

I'm going tomorrow a last time over your entry, that was enough for one day ;)  

No worry, I'll come back to this!

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 8/5/05 0:44

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2005, 14:25:00 »

Quote:
The grass appears to be a raging fire as it is blown by the wind, but the color of the grass varies depending upon the season

Believe me , you have to add „in autumn“ in the first half sentence, otherwise it sounds strange!
Quote:

The grass dies above ground each winter, and even the roots are killed by the cold. The grass can survive frost, but any temperatures that are extremely cold will kill it. During the month of Awakening Earth...

Think! it has to be the other way round:
„The grass can survive some frost, but any temperatures that are extremely cold will kill it.Then  even the roots are killed by the cold. „

Quote:

Only the Eaón Thróg (trying to say something like "Armored Beast";)  can safely venture into fields of this grass, for its thick skin is not bothered by the hooks

Does this animal already exist? If not, write a short overview and place it under this new thread of Art..
I have even a photo going with it and will post it soon.

to the entangling - I thinkit is even more effective, if you add, that the grass entangles with itself, so that you just can‘t get out. Holding on the skin, clothes or fur may be more difficult than each hook getting into contact with another. The grass has to detangle (??) of course after the movement is gone (the animal dead)

Territory: Add, how far it has spread south - these kanapan grasslands..

Quote:

Usages: The toxin that is held within the blades of the grass is often used by the various tribes of both humans and elves to coat their weapons. The toxin does not kill its victim, instead it paralyzes them temporalily so that they cannot move a muscle. The toxin can safely be collected in winter from dead grass, but it will be much weaker than that of the live grass. That collected from the dead plants will merely slow down its victims. Few men are bold or foolish enough to venture into a field of live Fire Sparks to retrieve the toxin. The few that have ventured into such fields never returned.

Why don‘t you just cut it fromthe rim??

Quote:

...only a thin layer of ice remained between the grass and the soil it so desperately needed. Peiero...

Isn‘t it more reasonable to have the upper handspan defrosted, so that the grass has some soil, just not enough to flourish? So that could be the reason as well, that the animals should not eat it (myth) - in reality it developed this behaviour, because it didn‘t have enough nutrients .
Otherwise a good myth - but add, which gods these are (tribe)

One last thing we forgot! If you have seeds, you need flowers as well, and if only very tiny ones, which need the wind for insemination..

Nearly done!  

Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2005, 15:19:00 »

I think I've got everything now. The territory already mentions the grasslands, so I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to add them. Also, I posted the overview for the Eaón Thróg in the entry itself. Is there somewhere else I should post it? No, the animal does not exist yet. I wanted to finish this grass before I started on it.

~Elf Age Calculator
~Measures Converter

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 12 August 2005, 15:12:00 »

Erian - I know, you are tired and want this entry go up - I have read it as well now several times and probably spent as much time reading it as you writing and editing - but you need to do it complete.

How do your flowers look like? Imagine an artists wants to paint the grass - he doesn't really know, what to do.

To the animal - do you want to start soon with it? Then an extra overview for the site is not needed.

some proposals to it - don't give it fur - that would be too similar to other animals which are captured and eaten - think of something smooth, where the hooks can't find hold - maybe something like this animal?

Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2005, 16:58:00 »

Yeah, I'll start on the animal in the near future. That animal would be perfect, giving it fur was a bad idea in the first place. I've added a little bit more about the flowers, and I think I've got their description covered. I deleted the overview from the post and saved it to my computer, since the site won't need it. Is this entry ready to be intergrated, or do I have more edits to make?

~Elf Age Calculator
~Measures Converter

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 13 August 2005, 02:53:00 »

Yeah, I think it is done now, though I have the impression, the English could be polished a bit here and there. Unfortunately I'm no Judy or Alysse and can't help you in this respect. But yeah, put the blue arrow up.

Your grass is occupying my thoughts - as you see :lol  I thought , how would snakes live in this grass, wouldn't it be an extraordinary place to live for them? They are on the ground, the grass could merely entangle them, for they have a smooth skin as well. The prey comes in and gets paralysed by the toxic - easy prey.
and what about birds - they could sit at the very top feeding on the seeds, and won't get intangled as well. It might even be a save place for them to breed! (apat from the snakes who wind up quickly to get the eggs - before the grass can react.)
A valuable bird species could be the reason for people to try to venture into the grass... maybe the eggs have an healing - or
aphrodisiac properties....

And your new animal would feed on snakes

If you are tired of developing this grass further - I think Art would add later additions as well - if they are good enough! :D

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]