Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Foxglass  (Read 3271 times)
Takashi Logan

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 16 May 2005, 13:17:00 »

Moderator message: This topic has been locked. A new version may be found by following this link

Foxglass

Category: Bushes
Overview: The Foxglass plant is a swamp dwelling plant, growing in Sarvonia, it has clear almost transparent flowers. These flowers give off a gas that reacts with the air in
swamps and causes the area about the plant to glow.
The foxglass is mainly used by animals, who eat the sap, or the bulbs, and small insects drink the pollen of flowers. Insects are attracted mainly during the night by the glow of the gasses the flowers produce.

Appearance: Foxglass is about 1.5 fores high, and has a diameter of 2 fores. Grows in either spherical or conical shapes dependent on the space available to it. Its leaves are usually a dark green, however in the fall the leaves turn a bright roan, like a fox. and the flowers are a lighter variety or colors, though reds and pinks are predominant. All of these flowers, regardless of colour, are almost translucent. The sap is a clear sticky substance, that will usually dry or be eaten before the travelers reach it, and when dry looks like fur, stuck on the reddish bark of the branches.

Territory: The Foxglass grows in the swamps of santharia.
It grows rather quickly, and can be of a good size within 2 weeks. This doesnt bode well for it, however at this stage it doesnt have any bulbs, and its leaves are bright green and red, quite poisonus, so animals stay away from them. The flowers arent developed at this stage either, so the plant only grows until it is completly mature.

Reproduction: The small bulbs that create the Foxglass sap, are seeds. They fall in to swamp waters or will be taken by swamp dwelling animals who will occasionally eat the sap.
Should they fall into the swamp water, they will be carried by what little current there is, and will sprout on the first bit of land they find.

Usages: The sap of Foxglass, which is a transparent roan colour, is of quite a good use for fuel for torches, and fires. It is collected in bottles as it drips off of the seeds. The sap, when crystallized, is rather resilliant to fire, leading some people to smear sap on their shields before battle, so that they can't be harmed easily be flames. There are those that simply smear the sap on, and they are identifiable by their singed or burnt fingers and hands.
The Elven Tribes of Eyophrim, and the Jhehellrhim, both use the Foxglass plants as natural lighting, due to the conidtions they live in it is ideal, however, they are controlled when growing, because a large glow would make their villages easier to locate.

Origins: The foxglass was a Ximaxian attempt at a simpler fuel source for lanterns. It is was used to light the torches so that they would not need constant replacement. However, when a sample was taken to the elves, some of the seeds inadvertently escaped, and wound up in a swamp, they adapted to the conditions there, and have become widely used among those who don't want to carry that much wood about with them.

Noted Gnomish Reasercher, Ethar Larteth, has noted that the plant itself is not very vulnerable to fire, once the sap crystalizes. Therefore, some warriors keep a pouch of the sap to smear on their shields and let it dry before battle.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2006, 04:39:37 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2005, 14:17:00 »

Look, I don't want to appear cranky here, but do you think you could do a complete entry before you put it up.  If you want people to come in and give critique that would be helpful.

In this life the old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, and the young know everything. —Anonymous

Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 14:30:00 »

im sorry
I had been in the process of editing when my comp crashed...

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2005, 21:35:00 »

Frustrating, isn't it?  Also frustrating is posting in EZboard and having EZboard lose the post.  We strongly recommend doing a new entry in a wordprocessing program (MS Word, WordPerfect, even Wordpad or a notebook program), saving it, editing it there, and then when you are ready for comments, posting it to EZboard.    Of course, if you only have an idea and want to get that idea approved, as in the case of the 'Carns', you may want to post your initial paragraph concept to the Ideas forum to ensure it's essentially ok, before going ahead with a lot of detail...

Ok, not much here to comment on yet, as Thuja pointed out, but enough to show promise.

Bear in mind that you should have several paragraphs per section title, not several words or even several sentences, eh? :wave  (friendly smile)

Foxes in Caelereth are called 'Shir' - although why the name 'foxglass' at all is unclear... are you going to explicate further?

A general note:

Make sure your entries are integrated into both the world of Caelereth and its ecosystem.  That means showing us how this plant fits in - what eats it, who uses it, where it grows, what it requires, what benefit it brings the earth, what insects it interacts with.... and also making us believe that it belongs here - refer to Caelerethian animals which browse on it, find Santharian researchers who have written about it, dig up a poem or chant or short story about it!

Hope that helps...
regards from the bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2005, 12:55:00 »

The glass bit refers to the flowers, and i think it has a subconcious infulence from foxfire, its a redish kind of moss, that glows...

But im thinking more of the sap, and im adding a bit on the leaves.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2005, 13:51:00 »

Three more minutes before I have to scamper away :)  Skimmed through the entry and Judy's comments and here's my two sans' worth:

Quote:
These flowers give off a gas that reacts with the air in
swamps and causes the area about the plant to glow.

This sounds too scientific as it is in late Medieval fantasy world imho. However, drafting a gnomish researcher around it, I think, might excuse the technicality and give some flavor to the entry.

Quote:
The foxglass is mainly used by animals, who eat the sap, or the bulbs, and small insects drink the polen of flowers.

As Judy mentioned, which animals? How/why are the insects attracted to the polens? Because of the petals' scent? color? glow? If so, does the flower attact these insects mostly during the day (suggesting either color or scent) or the night (the glow would be the dominant factor then)?

Will give the entry a detailed check once you elaborate on the other sections Keep up the enthusiasm! :D  

PS: And please run a spell check through the entry - if you're not ready to recieve comments on the text and/or are not finished with the actual writing put up the little pencil icon

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2005, 06:45:00 »

We have revival!
Could anyone give me a place to put this?

Edited by: Takashi Logan at: 10/9/05 19:42
Takashi Logan

View Profile
!!
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2005, 18:05:00 »

Oh common, is there anyplace that could use a swamp dwelling plant, particularly if there isnt much wood around?

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2005, 23:39:00 »

Taka, why don't you look for a place to put it?

I don't see that this one thing should hold up further development on this proposal, particularly as you haven't made all the suggested edits yet.  Part of doing an entry is doing the sweatwork and research necessary (the perspiration) as well as the creative effort (the inspiration), you know...

You've said that it grows in swamps around Caelereth and named some tribes that use it.  Ok, then that's where you start.  Look on the main map of Santharia, and the detail map of Manthria (once you can get into the site, that is >: ) and look for the major swamps and their names.  Then make sure they aren't too far north for this plant to flourish, and make a list.  You could start by saying that it grows well in the lower section of the Silvermarshes, for example.  (See, there's one freebie for you...)

If you read the Silvermarshes entry, you then could think about how the Mullogs who reside there might use the plant, given their level of technology.  Another detail to make the entry even more integrated, right?  And so on, and so forth... have fun with it.

Oh, and finally, why the name?  It doesn't seem to have much to do with the way the plant looks, unless I didn't read carefully enough.  Also, foxes in Santharia are called 'shir', so perhaps it should be 'Shirglass'?  :veryconfused   Anyhow, just a minor point.   Let's see what else you can do with this plant - it has lots of potential.

Regards,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2006, 22:14:48 »

just  wondering here, yes i did read the warning, and the date, and i'm not sure if the person who posted this is still here, but could i take this over? It looks kind of neat.  :)

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2006, 12:37:20 »

Bard Judith, they are also known as foxes.  The bestiary lists the entry as 'Fox (Shir)', in fact. 

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2006, 22:41:24 »

So, I could take this and finish it up?

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2006, 23:54:49 »

Yep, I guess you could give it a try and finish this one up, Niccoli! Make sure you read the comments above when you continue :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]