Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Moon Origin?  (Read 3820 times)
Cross and Star

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 21 October 2001, 16:59:00 »

I know I'm new 'round here, but. . . I've searched the site over and I can't find -anything- on the origins of the moon in relation to religion and the like.  I could be wrong about it, but it seems like something that would be filled without much difficulty.

Actually, I say this because (assuming there isn't already a myth behind it) I've already got an idea that would also facilitate a few additions to the world.  It's mostly an adaptation of a small society I created for a game of my own several years ago.

Let me know if needed or interested.

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2001, 23:14:00 »

The moon is just a reflection of the sun. What did you have in mind as far as connecting it to religion?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2001, 00:44:00 »

In this week's update it will be mentioned at the entry of Urtengor that "he forged the moon as a mirror for Foiros" (see as well the entry on the Injčrá, the Sun, in the cosmology section). This currently is human/dwarven/elven myth. Other races could have other myths, of course.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2001, 01:18:00 »

Also the merfolk (who will be elaborated upon later on)  hold the moon in reverence.  I believe there is an existing myth as to why, which might help with your question.

Quick question for whomever knows:  If the moon is only a reflection, what causes tides on Santharia?  Er...do we have tides?  That will make a lot of difference to fishermen, sailors, our newly discovered pirate reavers, and most coast dwellers.  Not to mention the seaweeds, fish, and other marine dwellers that have yet to be invented....

Someone please comment!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2001, 07:00:00 »

Oh boy I hope we have tides. Otherwise my refugees from a far western lands who build the Eyelian Kingdom are not going to make it.  I hope that the reflection is just a myth and not reality in Santharia

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2001, 12:09:00 »

Maybe the tides can be caused by the Etherial Void sucking in and spitting out waters at the end of the oceans? At any rate we gotta have tides, it makes living at sea much more interesting!

Seeing the difference between reality in scientific sense and mtyholigical sense is sometimes hard in these lands!

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2001, 13:11:00 »

Well, of course we will have tides, but they would need to be derived from another mythological reason. I guess I mentioned the low tide and flood as representations of Ahm and Soór somewhere, as the impulse of being, harmony and chaos. In fact water and especially the tides represent the human race as a whole and also a human in his/her singularity. We would only need a special myth behind it.

The Etherial Void explanation could be a "realistic" one. I'm always looking for something philosophical, which lies behind the things in the spiritual/religious sense.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 10/22/01 8:13:22 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2001, 13:46:00 »

I like Gean's suggestion a lot.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2001, 20:49:00 »

"I'm always looking for something philosophical..."

....And I'm always looking for something based in some kind of self-sufficient reality.... I like the etherial Void idea

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2001, 07:20:00 »

Phew!  (wipes brow)  sorry to get all wrought up there....

Love the Void idea.  I can just visualize this, like an old grandpa snoring, and his beard drifting in and out... (grin)

And of COURSE there will be a mythological/philosophical version as well!  Can't wait...

But now all us designers can go ahead with tidal details.  This will also be useful for some ideas I have for the merfolk.

Love, Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2001, 08:05:00 »

you mean like Art? :lol :lol  

Edited by: Capher at: 10/23/01 3:06:19 pm

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2001, 13:38:00 »

Agree with you that the Etherial Void idea has potential, however, it is still a bit too vague currently and "sucking in and spitting out waters" differs slightly from the image of "old grandpa snoring, and his beard drifting in and out".

The first one would be a water idea where the Etherial Void "produces" the ocean constantly, while the second would be a wind thing where the Etherial Void "breathes", which would be the version I prefer. This would also tie in the idea that the world is based on the concepts of winds (Darkwinds encircling Sorren) and that the Etherial Void provides the world contained in the chaos of the Darkwinds with life-giving winds (which also is reflected in the act of "breathing" of every single being - this also brings in the idea that there could be beasts which aren't breathing, which therefore must necessarily be evil).

This life-giving breath could have a special name. The elves would call it e.g. (in translation) "Breath of the Skies" and elves might feel this wind when sensing the Oh'mód'hál (inborn magical preceptivity of the elven race, see "Avaesthoría", Chapter VII).

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2001, 14:09:00 »

Art you have such a wonderful grasp on things. I like the idea but what do you call it? "Breath of the Skies"

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2001, 23:28:00 »

One way or the other, I think I agree with Art that the Etherial Void seems good, but there's a difference.

The first idea would be that the Void consumes water by draining water from the ocean, then releasing it again. This would logically cause tides, but as well heavy waterflows in the southern seas, as all the water will be pulled southwards. This might make sailing impossible.

On the other hand there's the winds idea. It would be good to combine this with the Darkwinds which were I believe already elaborated somewhere, but I must say I dunno much about that some (something to do with stars?). Instead of consuming water, the Void will push the waters northwards by blowing winds, causing the water to be more concentrated and thus rising in level. This would cause enormous winds in the south.

I think both possibilities have their pros and cons, maybe a third? The Void could expand from time to time, then return to it's older position. This would cause the waters to be pushed northwards just like with the winds, but without the enormous airstreams. If this would happen slowly there could be tides as well. Just thinking...

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2001, 02:39:00 »

But the Void completely surrounds the world....water can be created, sucked in, whatever, at any place or at every place. Same with wind....

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]