Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Housing of the Shendar  (Read 9946 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 08 November 2001, 12:15:00 »

HTML Comments are not allowed

Und das Chaos sprach zu mir: "Lache und sei fröhlich! Es hätte schlimmer kommen können!"Und ich lachte und war froh.Und es kam schlimmer.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2001, 12:19:00 »

The above was posted incidentely, was just about to discuss Postman Pat with my little daughter when she hit a button ;-)
(she is sitting next to me while I try to use my maybe last day of my flat rate)

Und das Chaos sprach zu mir: "Lache und sei fröhlich! Es hätte schlimmer kommen können!"Und ich lachte und war froh.Und es kam schlimmer.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2001, 12:31:00 »

How can I post a drawing??
(could upload it, but then it will take some time)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2001, 16:16:00 »

Well, if you want to post a drawing you HAVE to upload it somewhere, cause every browser needs to download it from somewhere - logical isn't it, Talia? *grin*

Then you can post the image directly by using an ezCode code like this [image]www.xyz.com/pic.jpg[/image] - no http:// within the image-code, cause this won't work.

If you don't have any webspace, just mail it to me at artimidor@yahoo.com and I'll upload it for you...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 11/7/01 10:17:30 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2001, 17:45:00 »

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2001, 17:47:00 »

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2001, 17:50:00 »

Seems it doesn't work, I wanted to post a plain text, copy, paste..??

What does this HTML is not allowed mean?

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2001, 01:46:00 »

Postman Pat!!! My nephews love him too! *starts singing* Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat!! :lol  sorry, I couldn't resist! It's such a catchy theme song.

Btw, Talia, your pic, that's from a book based on that world created by George Lucas in his movie 'Willow', isn't it? Um, Elora Danaan??  

Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2001, 02:49:00 »

Hmmmm, I speak only english sorry, so, if its not a bother, could you translate your signature for me?? just so I can read it?? It looks interesting, LOL, and I kinda am really curious as to what it means....

At yer (curious) service,

Ralhag

My dear friends: You want proof that I once was and still am the greatest assassin to walk on Sorren?                                          

Well, I AM still here...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2001, 13:52:00 »

You obvioulsy try to post HTML and have ezBoard-Codes turned on, Thalia. Or you use the signs "<" and ">" in a way that the ezBoard doesn't understand. Please don't use signs like "<" or ">" in normal postings, they can lead to unwanted results.

In order to post a picture correctly follow these instructions:

1.) When you reply to a posting you'll see several checkboxes below the text you're entering. Check the "ezCodes" checkbox and make sure that the "HTML" checkbox is not checked.

2.) Post the reference to the pic as I've told you above: [image]www.xyz.com/pic.jpg[/image] without any http:// between the [image] thing.3.) Use the "Preview" option (checkbox next to the "Add Reply") button to see if everything is interpreted right. If not, just hit your browsers BACK-button.To Ralhag: Translation means:"And Chaos spoke to her: laugh and rejoice! It could have been worse!" And I laughed and rejoiced. And it became worse.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 11/8/01 7:53:32 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
pic
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2001, 15:06:00 »

Yes, Dala Valannia, my pic is from the novel from George Lucas and Chris Claremont, but from the sequel to Willows called Shadowmoon and I think it is not Elora Danan on the cover but Anakeri.

Artimidor, I will see what I can do :-)

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2001, 15:09:00 »

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2001, 15:11:00 »

The   Shendars are a desert tribe who lives in the south of the Sarvonian  continent.
Having a nomadic way of living most use the tent as basic housing form, but there are also some who have settled down and live in  houses made out of clay in Uderza and nearby villages.

1. The Nomads

The Shendars live in tends which have  the most economic form to cover the most free space with the least material to cover this space - the half sphere. A big central tent is surrounded and attached by several smaller ones. Every smaller tent has an access to the central big one, only the family quarters are connected to each other.The big tent has   seven peds in diameter (see mystics of the numbers below). Small families can  have only this single tent, but it is not very common. Most families try to live in the extended and more comfortable form with the smaller tents attached. To make this possible two to three young families live together in one  tent, preferably with relatives . Most of the tents are inherited and due to the scarce, very valuable and difficult to get  raw materials new ones are very seldom.

How the single smaller tents are used depends on how many of the big tents are attached to each other(three or six, five are an exception) and on the special tradition of the single tribe. (See drawing) How these tents are arranged and how the Shendars live in them, see the drawing. The opening/doors of the tents vary with the number of the tents in a circle. While the three tents are standing in a circle with the main entrances showing to the outside , the other forms have their main entrance showing to the middle of the circle to an area used as sampling place.

The ground structure are bones of different animals. Rumours say that there are some old tents in the deepest desert which are held with the help of the „bones“ of the blood worm. Either theses are just rumours or it is a hint that in former times the blood worms inhibited the Rahaz Dath as well as the Desert of Light now, but are extinct.  Some old tales traded from generation to generation  support this theory, but it might never be confirmed. More often are used the“ bones“ of the Rahaz-Estar, the Giant Rock Snake, though  these have to be bend together to meet the needed diameter and height of   especially the central tent. Here as well we have only speculations how this is made. Some say they use the spit of the snake itself to clue the bones together, but who knows, who can invade a secret the Shendars want to keep for themselves? Sometimes are used the roots of a plant which grows at the edge of the desert or near an oasis. Above the ground you find only inconspicuous greenish leaves, but they are supported by an immense systems of roots which may  stretch about several thousands peds. These roots are very light, but very hard and indestructible at the same time.

Now to the material which covers the ground structure. Again the Shendars relay only on what they find in the desert, and that is again the Giant Rock Snake. Its skin is strechted and prepared to make the thinnest, lightest and most durable material you can find. It is split up . The outer the sun  reflecting layer of the skin is used for the protection against the sand storms and covers the whole structure, giving the tents a silvery-golden shimmer. It is quite impenetrable for knives or other blades, in fact it is  the same material the Shendar are using for their armours . The inner skin is fixed to the structure from the inner side, this way providing a double hull which holds most of the heat of the desert outside. Near the top of each of the central tents are areas which are translucent. It is said that they are made out of the gall bladder or other inward skins a Giant Snake may have. On top these skins are  prepared with the poison of the crystal spider.  These <windows> are this durable that they don‘t need a cover if a sandstorm arises, and the bigger these openings are, the wealthier the Shendar family is.
The central tents seem huge , but their advantage is that they hold enough air to survive in a day long  sandstorm, and even if the outer parts are all covered with sand, the main dome will show through the sand.

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 11/8/01 9:14:46 pm

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2001, 15:58:00 »

The description is good. Still can't see a picture yet though.

Keep up the good work!!

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2001, 17:11:00 »

I'll try to translate! :)  Well I'm German so the English is the problem!! ;)

Und das Chaos sprach zu mir: "Lache und sei fröhlich! Es hätte schlimmer kommen können!" Und ich lachte und war froh. Und es kam schlimmer.

And Chaos spoke:"Laugh and be happy! It could have been worse!" And I laughed and I was happy. And it got worse... ;)

Hope grammer is right! :lol

PS: There are many variation of this proverb or am I wronG?!?

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]