Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DWARF CLANS  (Read 2716 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 09 December 2001, 07:54:00 »

Finally some info on the clans.......       

Boltgrumms        “Oreteeth” - Dwarven clan at the Xythrian Ridge and the Kairean Teeth.  Centre of  Southern Peninsula, fairly close to the large city of Santhala, and just below Elsreth.  Generally considered to be among the more ‘sophisticated’ but also ‘aggressive’ dwarves.  Trade with humans on a regular basis and thus have access to a variety of foodstuffs and technology from other races.  The Kairgrumerons are young, sharp mountains full of quartz outcroppings  (whose pure white colour and geometric crystals may have suggested the ‘teeth’ nomenclature).  Gold is heavily laced through many of the underground quartz veins, and the extensive network of mines is exclusively run and guarded by Boltgrumm dwarves, who have a monopoly on the region.

Mitharims        “Metalfolk” - Dwarven clan at the Mithral Mountains, east of Santhala   A southern mining clan which produces a great deal of ore and metal work, as can be seen by their name.  The Mithralrotrumerons are rich in iron, lead, copper, and other industrial ores.  It is known that one large Mitharim city-cavern is located somewhere near the source of the (    ) River which flows into the Adanian Sea. Occasionally a traveller along its banks may see large barges going down to Chondra and Marcogg, laden with ore-bags stamped with the Mitharim runes.  

Tenthrums        “Strongpick” - Dwarven clan located at the western part of the Rimmerins Ring. Just east of Kor Donion and the Vale of Brownies  - much trade between this clan and the Brownies.  They often have the latest Brownie technologies, and some long-standing friendships have developed between dwarf and brownie craftsmen in their respective fields.  As a result, the Tenthrums have a reputation for being the ‘liberals’ of the dwarves, and are looked on with some mild suspicion by the other clans.  Of course, the fiercely loyal nature of Thergerim society means that outsiders would never be able to exploit that suspicion to their advantage.... “They’se may be odd uns,” as one old Boltgrumm Granny was overheard to say, “but they’se OUR odd uns...”

Thrumgolz        “Pickhands” - Dwarven clan at the High and the Low Fores, west of the Ancythrian Sea.   Informally divided into the “Highs” and “Lows” amongst themselves, although this distinction is not drawn to the attention of other races.  The Highs have good access to timber from the woods of Goltharion, and the various trade items on  shores of the Ancythrian Sea.  The Lows are not as fortunately situated, and have a simpler lifestyle and less varied diet as a result.

Ylossians        See separate entry (Ylossians) - Ancient dwarven ancestors, now extinct.

Morgerim        The ‘Dark Dwarves’ - a separate clan, although some say race, since their physical characteristics and culture vary significantly from the rest of the Thergerim.  However, they are indeed dwarves, albeit reclusive (and that’s reclusive even from a dwarven point of view!) Currently not much known, but historians are working to remedy this lack of information.  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2001, 08:29:00 »

Very fine, Judith! As usual: Great work:)  And very helpful, especially because the dwarven clans weren't elaborated so far. Don't know 100% if you've checked all existing references on these dwarven tribes, but I guess as a teacher you've done your homeworks;)

Some comments:
Mitharims: I've planned Mithril mines there initially, thus the name "Mitharims". Thuja wanted to do a story in this region, I guess, so maybe she has some names here (river, mountains etc.)

Tenthrums: What exactly are those wonderous Brownie technologies? Any example per chance?

Morgerim: Where exactly will they be placed? There was a thread somewhere discussing these dwarves as I can remember... Will the be Northern Sarvonian dwarves?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2001, 09:26:00 »

Yes I have a story more than half done and the main focus is trading with these Mitharim dwarves and using Mithril.  I have a few things named in the area.  I am in the process of getting them up.  As I write this story I introduce things that are not here or well developed and I must go and put them in.  This gets me sidetracked from the writing part. For example I will be using a wine called Chénier coming from Horth.  So I had to go and put up a entry on Horth.  That meant give a history using what was there to integrate it with Horth and explain why or maybe how the wine started there.  Much of the area had no names so then I had to give them (yahoo!!) names.  Which meant why these, if there was a reason, or maybe describe them a bit.  That led of course to the picture by Fauger of the sea dragon.  It caught my imagination and I thought that Cyon Sola Bay would be great place for a rogue sea dragon.  Well you see........

So tell me what you want, and will try to get it up as soon as possible or at least give you the names.  Right now I am doing the mythology on Crazy Woman Pass in southern Mithral Mountains (I think that is right).  Sorry I can't keep up with your torrid pace and ability.  I will try harder.

Ideas are funny little things.  They won't work unless you do.

Edited by: Thuja at: 12/8/01 3:27:57 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2001, 09:34:00 »

*haha* Yeah, don't we all want to do just one little thing and end up in creating a whole world? *grin*

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2001, 03:28:00 »

Ooh, I'm so glad everything fits in - I DID try to do my homework, even though I HATE geography (grin)

I need the name for that major river flowing southeast into the bay in the southeast corner of the southern continent.  It comes down out of the mountains to the east and curves westish then back eastish, and goes by two major cities (which I mentioned above and can't remember now...blush)

And Thuja, thanks for the feedback...now I know whom to ask for info about that area!  Perhaps ore gets traded for good wine?  Any suggestions on trade goods would be welcome (as I'm the chief negotiator for the Thergerim, feel free to butter me up with bribes, too!  ;)   )

Brownie technology ....er....would have to work with Greybark on that one, but I was specifically thinking of mine elevators, baggage/ore transport rollways, and the Morjual singspeaker devices which interpret bat radar into messages...

Okies?  Love from the bard....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2001, 20:37:00 »

Great entry, Bard Judith! I especially like the way you incoporated little personal touches in your entry like the quote from the Boltgrumm Granny....really kewl.... :lol  I think me mum said something similiar about me to a relative of ours once!

Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2001, 18:23:00 »

Bard Judith,

I am not sure of the river name you might mean.  But the major one that goes by Marcogg is the Mashdai River.  The big tributary I do not know or the one that flows into it.  These Art would probably know.  I have found that if I ask him he usually knows the major things and just didn't have room on the major map.  I would ask him about the major things.  I have done some things around the area of the Mithral Mountains.  I will not put it here but send a brief description of things that might be of interest in an e-mail (don't freak).  I have put my thoughts on trade and the like too.  Also a little something about the dwarves you may want to shred.:)  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2001, 06:37:00 »

Very helpful email, and I like the passage you included.

In fact, the line about dwarf women had me laughing out loud - it's a great 'outside' perspective, and very natural.  I also like that they have a defender as well! (grin)

Only one nitpick...

Dwarves aren't naturally quarrelsome; in fact, as I envision them they are very clannish, and fiercely loyal to family.  If they did squabble, it would never be in front of an 'outsider', even a trusted trader.  

So...as a generalization about dwarven society, I don't like the reference to knock-down fighting....  However, it is perfectly possible for individuals to be more or less peaceful, quarrelsome, passive, or argumentative.  So if a long-married old couple frequently do have verbal fights, and they know your trader character well enough to assume that HE knows they are only joking, you could keep that characterization of your dwarf couple in, if you wouldn't mind rephrasing it so that the reader knows you mean only those two in particular and not the whole race of Thergerim.

Fair enough?

Regards from the Bard

Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2001, 19:15:00 »

Sure no problem.  Like I said, I had written this before you had made all these drastic changes to the dwarves.  I got sidetracked and now I will have to redo this part.  I like the part about the arguing and will work this out with the old couple.  I'll see what I can do.  I'll let you know and see if it passes judgement of the great, wonderful, intelligent, witty, uh... talented, uhhhhhh Master of all Bards.  (Just a little buttering up :) )

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2001, 02:21:00 »

Tenthrums using latest Brownie technology.....sounds great!

Generally for Brownie technology, think of leonardo da vinci's stuff....at 1/12th the width, height, etc. Usually made of wood or other plant products, including intricate gears, pulleys, water-powered stuff, wind powered stuff, pull a lever and it starts, elastic vines. Much of it would be considered curiosities rather than advancements, but there are some that are quite useful such as ziplines, hang gliders, traps, etc. Some amazing things were also made (massage chairs, automatic factories) but the implementation on a wider scale is always elusive (keeping with our medieval world...thus they become "curiosities" rather than "advancements")

The items Judith mentioned are great. Development, adapting the technology to the larger scale needed by the dwarves, would be a challenge, so suggest that whenever these things are first used by the dwarves, there is a team of Dwarven and Brownie experts taking a period of time to work out the bugs.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]