Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Avennorian Tribe.Final Draft.  (Read 6631 times)
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« on: 17 January 2002, 15:51:00 »

Avennorian Tribe;

Overview;
The ancient tribe of the Avennorian’s settled along the eastern banks of Southern Sarvonia. They were explorers, whalers, and pearl divers. Their first settlement was called Ciosa. Their natural boundaries from east to west are as follows, The Adanian Sea and the Yanthian Gulf. The Caeytherin Mountains, the current capitol, Marcogg, and the southern border of the Auturian Woods heading west to include the Tolonian Heath until you reach the banks of the Gulf of Maraya. The southern border goes as far south as the southern border of the Sharandon Forest, then heads west until you reach the banks of the Gulf of Maraya.

Appearance;
The Avennorian’s vary within about a half foot from their average height of 5 ft 6 in. Their skin is usually white in color, though darker shades of color have been seen.  These are those who have slaves from Shan’Thai in their bloodline. Their hair color varies from white blonde to dark brown. Their eye colors also vary but are mostly shades of blue. They have a wandering spirit and are always looking for adventure especially if it involves searching for gold, treasure or anything to make them wealthy.  They are a greedy people and they don’t much care how they get their wealth. Competition between them to see who is the wealthiest has incurred many a duel and double-crossing each other, including their own kin.

Coat of Arms;
Their Coat of Arms consists of several men; one holding a harpoon, another with a spyglass in his hands and another coming up from the water with a giant black pearl in his hand. The men with the harpoon and spyglass are in a schooner and the one with the pearl is climbing up a rope ladder attached to the schooner.  The schooner is in full sail.

Territory;
Their lands consist of mostly flat land interspersed with one mountain range and a couple of forests. They have fought with the Elven tribes in the Auturian Woods and Sharandon Forests for lumber. They consider the sea their territory and lay claim to whatever they find in it, whether it is alive, dead or sunken.

People;
The Avennorian’s have an unusual metabolic and circulatory adaptation. This adaptation, which has evolved over many thousands of years, allows them to dive at depths that would cause instant death to a normal human. It also allows them to longer without oxygen and to slow their heartbeats to where you would think they were dead. One of the unique adaptations of these people is that they have only slits for ears that they can close so the crushing pressure of diving does not destroy their eardrums.

Housing,
The Avennorian’s houses near the sea are dome shaped whale boned structures covered with whale skin. In the towns and central land areas their houses are dome shaped whale boned structures chinked with stone, or wood and covered with moss or sod. Some of the houses especially the ones owned by the wealthier people are ornately covered with the insides of oyster shells, which reflect the sun and give of a rainbow of color. The Kings palace is completely covered with such shells inside and out. All of the houses have windows made of finely crushed shells on top of their houses to allow the sun to warm and show off the home.

Clothing
Men of the Avennorian tribe wear watertight boots, double layer pants and a tight fitting double-layered cloak when out on a whale hunt all made of whale skin. The pearl divers wear nothing when diving, but put on a light whale skin cloak when out of the water. Pearl divers can be men or women.  In town the men and women wear soft whale skinned boots. The men wear single layered pants while the women wear dresses made of tanned whale skin; the more elaborate dresses are sewn with crushed oyster shells.

Food;
Their diet consists mainly of seafood and things they can get from the sea. They love seaweed soup. It is a staple for most of the poorer people. Their bread, and other compliments all come from the sea. The bread is made from special seaweed, which is baked into flat shells upon which other seafood can be put into it.

Weapons,
Their main weapons are the cutlass, a short curved sword, and knives.

Occupations;
Both men and women can be whalers, though men are more likely to be one, pearl divers tend to be equal. The rest of the towns needs like a black smith, storeowner etc can be done by either male or female. The King can also be male or female.

Government;
Their government is based on a Monarchy. However the King is chosen by wealth, not bloodline. However since most kings increase their wealth usually they can pass on that wealth to their son or daughter. There have been some instances where a stranger has come up with more wealth than the King and the King has been deposed. Also there have been instances where the King has passed on his or her wealth to someone else other than a family member.

Production/Trade;
The Avennorian’s trade whale bone, used for petticoats under dresses, seafood, whale oil for lamps and a white substance from the head of the whale used for female cosmetics and clear smoke candles. This substance, called Spermaceti, was the most valuable part of the whale and highly coveted. They also traded ivory from tusks on some whales and art and crafts made by them with ivory, driftwood and seashells. Some of the crafts were knives and swords carved with ornate ivory handles and jewelry.

Natural Resources;
The Avennorians had hardly any natural resources except from what they got from the sea. There was some lumber from neighboring forests. Most of what they had was either from the sea or trade.

Festivals;
They had only one festival and that was the rite to appease the Goddess of the Sea, Baveras. The rite involved prayers and the sacrifice of a child; either sex was acceptable and was chosen by lots.  The child was tied to a heavy rock and thrown over board into the deep water. The child had to be between the ages of 6 and twelve. According to the myth, if the child somehow released its self from the rope and survived, it would be bad hunting that year. If the child died then the Goddess has approved of the sacrifice and there will be good hunting that year. The festival occurred in the spring of the year.

History;
c.a. 11350 Glandor of the Glandorians, the naval commander and now leader of the Glandorians and founder of the Port of Marglith authorizes two ships to explore the lands and seas south of them. One ship was called the Fijor Skull, and was captained by Droki Lygnolf. The other ship was named Svarring Joling and was captained by Troi Ciosa. They launched in the late spring of the year 11349 their voyages were supposed to last no more than a year. After prayers and sacrificing two children to appease Bavaras they set sail. The Fijor Skull returned approximately five months later. They had found some land south of them, but no gold or anything else of value. The Svarring Joling never returned and was considered lost at sea.

c.a. 11348 In the late winter of the year 11348 the Svarring Joling runs aground on a hidden reef near a peninsula. After they had set sail from Glandor they had a good journey for a while then a huge storm came and blew them off course and way out to sea. Finally after a year of sailing they saw land and headed for it. They ran aground on a hidden reef.  Scuttling the damaged and sinking ship for supplies the group of explorers, men, women and children born at sea founded and built a small settlement for themselves. The named it Ciosa, after their captain and leader of their expedition. The top of the masts of the Svarring Joling can still be seen at low tide.

c.a. 11300 Troi Ciosa dies in late summer at age 73 and his son Thorgeir is given leadership of the people. He names them the Avennorians, which means, “Baveras’s children” in their language.

c.a. 10350 Liemolf Marcogg and others build a settlement on the banks of the Mashdai River they name Marcogg. He starts a battle with the Tethinrhim elven tribe over lumber and the Auturian forest. He was badly overmatched by the elves and lost many men.

c.a. 10330 The Avennorians and the Sophronians under the leader ship of Thorgeir of the Avennorians and Etain of the Sophronians sign a trade treaty.

c.a. 10000-9800 Avennorians explore, settle and found two more settlements; Klinsor, near the southern border of the Tolonian Heath, and Chrondra Northwest of Marcogg near the Mithril Mountains it became a river settlement off of one of the tributaries of the Mashdai River.  They also find a new continent with dark skinned people and steal them and sell them to the wealthy as slaves.

c.a.-9500-9023 War of the Chosen. The Avennorians like all the other ancient tribes of Sarvonia were almost completely decimated by the war.

c .a. 9023-9000 Years of Cleansing. The Avennorian kingdom is cleansed by the elven magic Xeua.

The Age of Myths (3400 b.s-1655 b.s)
No records have been found during this time. It is speculated that the remnants of the Avennorians’, though devastated by disease, famine, and other calamities of the war and even with the help of Xeua magic took this time to rebuild their civilization.

The Age of Awakening (1655 b.s. -822 b.s.)

1655- Under the leadership of Barek Swanhild the Avennorians begin to rebuild Marcogg over the ruins of the old capitol Marcogg.

1653- Two years later the capitol Marcogg is rebuilt. Barek Swanhild is crowned King. He initiates the largest shipbuilding project the Avennorian’s ever had. His desire is to explore the seas and hopefully to find lands with gold and treasure and his own ancestors’ homeland where they were stolen and sold as slaves to the then old Avennorian kingdom.

1652- The first exploring ship sets sail; she was named the Sorli. She had a compliment of twenty crewmembers besides the captain who was called Okar Snivild. They set sail in early spring. They return six month later with news of an island southwest of them in the Adanian Sea. An Expedition was planned to explore the interior.

1651- The Sorli, with the same captain set sail for the island the Avennorians called Darknar, for Barek thought they had found the lands of his ancestors. The ship never returned. This island we know now as the “Island of Doranthakar.”

1649- 1648. In Northern Sarvonia it was called the Vard’ynnian Atonement. The Avennorians called it MirDark, which in their language meant “Endless Night” Many Avennorians died that year including Barek Swanhild.

1645- The youngest son of Barek Swanhild, Rekj is crowned king. He restarts the shipbuilding and exploring of the seas that his father had started several years before the year of the  “MirDark.” Had killed his father.

1642- A new ship is developed it is called a Barek, named after Rekj father, it is larger, sturdier and carries a compliment of Thirty crew members as well as the captain and nine officers. It has two masts instead of one. She is Christened Starmir and is captained by the daughter of Okar Snivild, Thea Snivild. She sets sail in late summer. She returns in early summer of the next year. She brings back stories of a continent that is almost all deserts and she brings back people who she believes may be the people of the King. She tells the King she had to buy them from a place called Shan’Thai Rekj anger is kindled, thinking that his people are still being sold as slaves. After he releases the slaves he begins to prepare plans to attack Shan’Thai and free his people. This began the seven hundred year war.

Seven Hundred Year Wars (1640-806 b.s.)
Rekj Swanhild starts and his successors continue the war to free his people from slavery. He and his successors send armadas’ of ships to attack Shan’Thai and its people to overthrow them and free the slaves. Their losses were uncountable. The Shan’Thai people and its city were just to strong and the time it took to rebuild ships, train armies, make weapons took its toll on the wealth, population and commerce of the Avennorians.

Civil War. (806-803 b.s.)
In the winter of 806 b.s. the last successor of Rekj Swanhild, Eyfi Swanhild dies. His families’ wealth was depleted. He lost the throne to Anir Snivild, whose family, starting with Okar Snivild and his daughter Thea gathered tremendous wealth in trade. Though Okar and Thea hated slavery and fought against it. After their deaths their sons and daughters seeing a way to make tremendous wealth, dealt in the illegal trade of slaves as well as the legitimate commerce of whale hunting.

The Snivilds were famous for their expeditions and countless whale hunting and selling and trading of whalebone, oil and Spermaceti. He signs a treaty with the leaders of Shan’Thai and legitimizes the slave trade. However anyone wanting to do such business had to give a kickback to him. The price for doing so was 20% of the sale of the slave.

This started a civil war between those who thought slavery was wrong, the ones who were the progeny of slaves and those who believed in their rights and those who just wanted to profit from it. The war ended with an uneasy truce signed by Anir who decreed that any slave who wanted to be free was free and that those who wanted to remain with those who had bought them had to have their left ear pierced with a symbol of the family of which they belonged too. This satisfied both warring parties.  Slave trading still continues but mostly the slaves are sold by their own families, either because of a debt owed or because the family needed money. Most of these slaves were girls.

Attack on Ria (804-800 b.s.)  
Anir marshals troops against the elves in Auturian Woods. Though he could care less about the cause of the war, he sees an opportunity for a land grab and to avenge the Avennorians against the Tethinrhim Elves and attacks Ria.  The elves already besieged and wearied from the battles against the other humans saw their beloved woods being burned. When Anir and his troops attacked their capitol, Ria, the elves fought back with a vengeance and pushed back Anir and his troops out of the woods and even burned down some of the outer settlements of the Avennorians. This defeat precipitated more attacks by Anir and each time they lost to the more experienced war fared elves. Finally in the late fall, early winter of 800 b.s. Anir gave up and just watched as the war continued. He and his people would sit out this war and gather up what was left. He figured that would be the best. Let the others do the fighting for him and he would come in and take what was left over. To him it seemed liked the perfect plan.

The Demise of the Avennorians (800-749 b.s.)
As the Avennorian’s sat out the first Sarvonian War ready like vultures to pick up the pieces, they did not count on that the human tribe of Erpheronia would hold them accountable for their actions and they attacked the Avennorians. Anir surrendered in the late summer of 749 b.s. He and his family were immediately beheaded. The Erpheronian king, Korpicor, and his armies used Marcogg as their staging base for the war against the elves. After the war had ended in 729 b.s. The King gave Marcogg and the lands back to the Avennorians but they had to pay tribute to the Erpheronian Empire and were considered a satellite country of the Erpheronian kingdom.  

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

Edited by: Capher at: 1/24/02 8:25:32 pm

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2002, 16:50:00 »

When do you find the time to write all these things ;) , I like that the women do equally good in nearly all things.

Some people say I'm naughty.I'm not. I have the heart of a young girl.  - In a jar, on my desk.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2002, 19:47:00 »

You wouldn't believe me if I told you. I wrote it all up just today. However I have been thinking about it for a few weeks.

Thank you for your comments Talia, I wanted the women to be somewhat equal in this tribe.

I wanted to know also what you thought about the idea of maybe slaves from Shan'thai as bloodlines in some of the Avennorian's?  Also I read your discussion about different races and that is why this tribe has some unusual evolutionary adaptions like slits for ears, unusual metabolic and circulatory rates.?

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2002, 22:28:00 »

Cool!!!
I like the special skills especially!

Brownie Expert

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2002, 10:02:00 »

Excluding the history, I'd say that this is great. a greedy human tribe! hehe  I like the tribe!  :D

What type of interaction happened between this tribe and the Tethinrhim? The Avennorian attemtped to take the forest by failed???

Uragel!
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
And then do what the women did.Character Description
Moderating Mistress - All Round "Little Helper"

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2002, 10:15:00 »

Yeah,they fought over lumber and the forest.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2002, 13:03:00 »

Hi! Some suggestions on the history side.

You might make them the first to make contact with the cities of Aerlium(I can't spell any of the places and only few of the names. Damn) or the Dorian kingdom and some day got into conflict with Strata  because of that. Also you might think about possible conflicts with the elves during the SW I+II because of something. When not completely agreeing in the human cause they might have seen good opportunities to claim land at that time.

Beside that, I could think you might add more detail to everything. (I said more detail. It is already enough but this tribes has some interesting concepts so eventually I'd like to see more about them. )I just find nothing else to critisize! ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--One Sword might make you a warrior but a dagger in your boot makes you a winner!--

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2002, 13:55:00 »

Sounds like good suggestions Koldar. I will think about them and see what I can come up with.

Art, I guess this entry is not finished yet. Though I would like your and others opinions on it.

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2002, 20:25:00 »

It is late and I only read half of it but like so far.  I would only change the first sentance to state the" eastern shores"   It is a continet after all and not a river.

Ideas are funny little things.  They won't work unless you do.

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2002, 10:38:00 »

Thanks Thuja, you are correct. It should read shores and not banks.

Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2002, 18:18:00 »

One thing I was working on with Marcogg.  You may want to work it in or not.  But I was looking at the map and trying to figure why a large town would be there on this river and not at its mouth.  I thought a good reason was because of a string of cascading fall at the bend in the river by the city.  I had thought to call them Vildegg Bend.  This would also split the city into and upper and lower section with upper about 30 peds higher.  Also it would be a good place to control the river trade up and down this river.  What are your thoughts on this?

Sorry this is so late in coming.

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2002, 10:39:00 »

To Thuja, sounds Fantastic about Marcogg. Also do you think you could come up with a name for the river too, besides just the falls?  I am terrible with names.  Thanks in advance.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2002, 12:46:00 »

Hey, Tuja, did you play Final Fantasy IX? In the ending scene you can see a city right like that (I've only the ending scene lying around on my Comp). Definitely a good idea.

--One Sword might make you a warrior but a dagger in your boot makes you a winner!--

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 1/23/02 8:46:47 pm
Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2002, 19:06:00 »

Capher the name of the river is the Mashdai River.  I got that from Artimidor.

No never played that game.  Its just my schooling that makes me look for reasons why.  Or maybe it just meeee :) :)  

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2002, 14:53:00 »

Just because I had it at hand here's one pic of the city I meant. It is Squaresoft's property, of course, but I thought it might give a good impression though it is a very small format...

Just imagine another discrit below the waterfalls like Tuja suggested and I think it could be a very close shot! :)  

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 1/23/02 8:55:15 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]