Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Elf tribe- The Sora  (Read 6868 times)
Sinen Darkchild

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 14 January 2002, 19:18:00 »

Overview
  The Sora are a subtribe of elves. They appear very much like elves. They have a pair of wings on their back. They live on the Cyhalloi Continent, and stay away from other people.

Appearance
  They appear much like elves. Their hair is normally a silver, red, or blonde in color. Their eyes are normally brown or silver. They stand the same height as elves. They have wings upon their back which grow in at the age of 127.(Multiply human age by six to get their age. divide their age by six to get human age.) They quit growing at age 126. This race lives to about 1000. Their wings are composed of crystal-like feathers which appear to be a rainbow of colors when light passes through them.

Coat of arms
  None.

Territory
  The sora lives in a massive flat field surrounded by forest. They use trees from the surrounding forest to build cabins. They live on the Cyhalloi continent.

People
  They have wings upon their back and can use them to fly.
Important People
u]Hárf'a'styrá[/u]- the elder who led the prayer to Grothar.
Ác'rón- the man chosen to rebuild the tribe on Cyhalloi.
Ác'rán- the woman chosen to go with Calare.
Valannía- creator of Sorite.
Hárf'a'melór- The one who stole the Tome of Sora and brought the knowledge of the Sora to South Sarvonia.

Housing
  They live in wooden cabins built from trees found in the surrounding forest.

Clothing
  They wear red and blue linen breeches and tunics. Some women wear red or blue linen robes.

Food
  They eat animals that they hunt and kill in the forest, and they eat food they grow on the land.

Weapons
  The Sora use weapons like most other elves do. They prefer either the bow or the sword.

Occupations
  Farmer- cultivates the land and provides the tribe with valuable food.

Blacksmith- Creates Weapons and Jewlry. Designed and created the compound known as Sorite.(composed of many minerals found in the soil. Heated to extreme temperatures then cooled rapidly. Is shiny and comprised of a multitude of colors.)

Hunter- provides the tribe with valuable food and skins.

Story teller- Keeps history of tribe.

Warrior- protects the tribe from unwanted vistors.

Government
  None, they respect each others space and property. High sense of morals. Live together in harmony.

Production/Trade
  They produce jewlry and weapons along with food. THey do not trade much because they stay away from other people.

Natural Resources
  Lumber, Minerals, and Sorite.(see blacksmith job.)

Festivals
  none right now.

History
  The tribe did not exist until around the time of the Great Sundering.At this time a small group of elves broke away from the rest and travelled to the East. Eventually they came to the ocean. However, the time it took has long since been forgotten. They settled near the ocean, but never learned the art of shipbuilding. In fact, they never came to love the sea as they loved the forest. They willed to be back near the forest, but they refused to return the way they had come. They ventured south at one point, and there they would remain. That is, until massive storms swept their village around the year 1345. These storms threatened to destroy their village. The cause of these storms is unknown, and storms of the such have never been seen again. Anyway, the eldest, a woman named Hárf'a'styrá, called everyone, a total of no more than 150 men, women, and children, together to pray to Grothar. So they prayed, and this lasted for three straight days. After three days of prayer Grothar answered. He spoke and told the tribe to chose one man and one woman. The tribe chose two 127 year old elves named Ác'rón and Ác'rán. Grothar bestowed upon the two magnificent wings to bear them upon the wind to a new home. The vilage's time was up. The storm swept it into the ocean, but the two chosen escaped and came to the Cyhalloi continent. There they found a large clearing in the midst of a large forest. They settled there, and rebuilt their tribe. They bore eight children, four boys and four girls. Now according to tribe legend, Grothar foresaw a time which the Sora would need the wings again so he let them keep them. Forever since the Sora grow wings when they reach the age 127. The tribe had multiplied until it had a population of 52. Among them was a man named Valannía. He was 156 when he had a dream that told him of the secret of Sorite, a lustrous, hard yet workable metal. A month later this metal was used in everything the Sora made. It was the tribes prized secret, and they  refused to tell anyone else how to make it. Now the Sora has a population of 132. Around 1654, one of the tribe, Hárf'a'melór, stole the Tome of Sora, the book of Sora history. He came to South Sarvonia, and there he died deep in a dungeon. Of course, who should chance upon his remains and the book but Sinen Darkchild on his quest to find his sister in the year 1655. Since then a few have come in search of the book. None have found Sinen yet, so they continue search. Thus the Sora have been seen in South Sarvonia, but rarely.

Edited by: Sinen Darkchild at: 2/14/02 7:28:29 pm

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2002, 22:25:00 »

Having these as a subtribe of Elves: Maybe. But... If you want to see the amount of work you'll need to put into the Sora to make them a seperate race, look up my Psyrpents, and ask yourself if you're willing to put that much work in. If the answer is yes... *shakes head ruefully* you're in for a long, hard ride.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2002, 05:42:00 »

Xarl already pointed out that it would need more detail.
Main problem I see is how to fit them into everything. I see already many difficulties with the Psyrpents, I could imagine them better in the swamps and waste jungle of Nybelmar than in cold Northern Sarvonia, Xarl, but we will find a suitable solution/explanation.

Some problem I see with the Sora and any other new races that might come up. We already have four main races and about four or more others that need to be balanced and at the moment cannot really think about a place where they would fit in easily.

They currently have a slightely supernatural touch to me so we might consider them as mythical beings or like demons but of good will?

Just some thoughts, btw... I think that it might be interesting to work out the array of supernatural beings like demons and such and extend them with good creatures as well, e.g. fairies(although someone worked on them already. Stormcrow?).

Those races might have their own planes of existance and wander or live on the world of Sorren for various reasons. It should not be like "Lost Realms" and similar but creatures that are even fantastic for the people of a fantasy world.

So fairy folk in a world where Orcs and humans are considered normal. Just a thought that sprang to my mind.
The Sora might fit there very well, I think.

Some more suggestions?

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--One Sword might make you a warrior but one sword and a dagger makes you the winner!--

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2002, 10:34:00 »

Hmm.. I see alot of work to be done. Creating a new race, as Xarl pointed out, is very hard. You have a good idea, just needs alot of refining, also needs to be written in the concept of the general outline, which I don't see.  Also the Mithril mountains is dwarf country. Though they live below the ground. My suggestion, take your concept and do your research, alot of it, then rewrite with the general entry form in mind.  After that post it and we will see. Ok?

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2002, 11:03:00 »

I gotta protest part of your description....if I don't soon everyone and his brother will have lifemagic reserved primarily to Brownies. I object to the following:
"4. They posess a natural magic which is drawn from the abundance of life in the world and is channeled through their bodies.(tends to be healing. Can be harmful though)
5. Because there magic comes from all the life in the world, even those who don’t develop the magic can sense the presence of live about them."

Having said that, an enjoyable read, very imaginative.  

Brownie Expert

Sinen Darkchild

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2002, 13:22:00 »

ok, hearing a great idea, I'm thinking of making the sora a mythical creature much to the extent of something like a good natured demon or something like that. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2002, 19:11:00 »

Um, if you read the entry on the Cacciatore in the Beastiary, Art said there are too many races that exist which are not fleshed out enough, so he's not accepting new races until things get worked out better. And if it's going to be a mythical creature, then it belongs in the Beastiary.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Sinen Darkchild

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2002, 12:45:00 »

I already knew that. when I first thought of it I was making it a race. I changed my ideas a little.

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2002, 16:00:00 »

Well, I see some interesting ideas here, but of course also various problems as were already stated above (we have 12 smaller races BTW Koldar, so a lot of work to be done here!). Please keep especially in mind that designing a new race will keep you busy for quite a while...

Some more comments:
- I like the idea that the Sora are elves, not a new race. There could be some sort of myth why they got their wings.
- If they are elves there should at least be rumours on how they came to where they live now (see entry on Fá'áv'cál'âr, the Great Sundering etc.).
- The Mithral mountains are Santharian territory and I wouldn't place them in the midst of a civilized kingdom, but somewhere more distant/hidden. I would also propose to keep them small in numbers. This way people wouldn't believe that they exist and there also wouldn't be much need to design history etc. They could be a mysterious, withdrawn tribe and only few might have ventured into their territory to tell the tale.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2002, 09:35:00 »

And I really have problems with skills number 4 and 5!!!!!

Brownie Expert

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2002, 10:41:00 »

BTW: The Gnomes were abandoned or is Xaron still around somewhere(at least RPG-forum)?

--One Sword might make you a warrior but a dagger in your boot makes you a winner!--

Sinen Darkchild

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2002, 13:50:00 »

Hey, I've finally mad this into an elf tribe. What do you think?

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2002, 18:53:00 »

Details! Must... have... more... details... You know, we should consider changing the name from The Santharian Dream to The Santharian Detail Despository.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2002, 19:07:00 »

Still thinking as mythical creatures they would be easier to explain and fit into santharian mythology and cosmology better but currently no will to argue about it.

--Santharian Master of Desaster ;)--

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2002, 03:30:00 »

I agree with both Tarquet (more details)and Koldar (prolly best if a myth).  Also remember, wings are such a completely radical thing.  I mean, man has wanted to fly since he prolly saw the first bird but he didn't do it until he invented a way to do it.  Since Ava no longer participates in the world directly, I would have an actual explanation and a mythical one.  Some sort of magic that went wrong or this might have happened during the Age of Myths, many a great and wonderous thing happened then, evolutionary would be hard to credit, so yea magic as much as I hate to say it would prolly be best.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]