Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Volkek-Oshra  (Read 5622 times)
Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 24 January 2002, 23:34:00 »

Volkek-Oshra
Ximaxian Orcs

Overview - The tribe of orcs who live in the Mage City of Ximax, and one of the tribes that doesn't have a truly evil intent. Though they deffinitely work toward their own means, they are not as open and savage about it as some other orcish races and tribes. They are more, as the Ximaxians say, sophisticated than other orcs. They've lived in Ximax since the founding of Ximan Xuran's School of Magic in 2017  b.S. Before that they were just a cabal of orc mages. Now they are very well respected and interesting citizens of Ximax.

Appearance - Though they are most apparently not human, they are usually about 2 peds high like humans, and this is usually accounted to breeding between the orcs and humans. Their skins are a dark brown color, and while it is thicker than a human's, it is not as thick as the skin of some other orcs. Though they do not have much body hair, the female orcs usually have long hair on their heads, but no hair anywhere else, the male orcs usually grow thick beards but are bald everywhere else, but no one has given any reason this might be. Some speculate magical change, but most don't care.

Coat of Arms - The CoA for the Volkek-Oshra is a black 'X' in front of a flame. The 'X' standing for Ximax, of course, and the flame to symbolize that they are orcs, the race which sprung from fire.

Territory - The territory of the Volkek-Oshra is, simply, the city of Ximax. Though some go to the surrounding mountains at times to meditate, they never venture far. The orcs are not very outgoing and don't see much for them outside of Ximax, though some have gone forth to try and make a living as a mage. Those are usually half-orcs, however, or orcs who don't think they'll be much use to the Red Tower and it's orc magi.

People - This is believed to be the only orc tribe where the members are strictly mages. While every few generations there will be a non-mage among them, that one shall be sent out into the wilderness to die or live as a warrior. They are also very much like humans in the ways they act in public, eat, dress, and do many things, even come out regularly in the day. They even speak the Common tongue in public, though once they retire to their cattacombs or are only around orcs, or even if they don't want someone to understand what they say, they do know the orc grunting language. The Volkek-Oshra are also the best trained orc mages in Sarvonia, as they recieve direct training from the magi of Ximax once they reach the age of 15.

They also live longer than other orcs, mostly due to the fact that they do not fight as much and live in a city where they don't have to hunt or scavenge for their food. The typical lifespan for the Volkek-Oshra is around 70 or 80 years, and the oldest among them, Gral The Powerful, lived 120 long years and was the first orc Archmage of Ximax.

Housing - These orcs live in catacombs under Ximax, mainly under the Red Tower. Though they do often journey above ground, during both day and night. They enjoy the large stone halls they've carved out, with the help of some of the dwarves. There are some small square-shaped well-like structures with grates over them, at regular intervals in alleys and other out of the way places, which usually have smoke coming out of them from the living and gathering places of the orcs.

Clothing - The male Volkek-Oshra usually wear dark-red hooded robes, while the females where the same but in a brighter red color. The females also wear headbands which are covered with an intricate pattern of beads on one side to resemble fire to keep their hair pulled back. Both usually wear gold medallions around their necks which have a flame etched skillfully on both sides. Most also carry daggers for self-protection unless some orc-hater decided to try something and they weren't ready to cast a spell.

Food - Volkek-Oshra do not hunt for their food, but instead usually eat normal Ximaxian foods. They also keep great quantities of salted and jerked meats in cellars int heir udnerground homes, as well as stocks of other foods. Though sometimes they will have a celebration where they release live animals into a large underground arena, which is the center of their entertainment, and 'hunt' the animals with spears, swords, and axes, then cook them over a great bonfire and eat them.

Weapons - With the exception of the dagger which most usually carry on their persons, in a concealed place usually at wrist or ankle, the Volkek-Oshra fight with magic. Whether magical items or spells htye know themselves, it is their primary weapon. A few rare orcs, who are called the Elite Gaurd, carry magically imbued swords which burn without harming themselves or the weilder, shoot flame, or some other little trick. The group of orcs who gaurd the others, called the Fire Daughters, usually carry very powerful magic staves.

Occupations -

Mage: This is the usual occupation chosen by a Volkek-Oshra, though some go beyond. Male/Female.

Magus: A step beyond Mage, these are the more powerful and scholarly of the Volkek-Oshra. Male/Female.

Archmage: The rare status achieved by very few, an Archmage of Ximax. Male/Female.

Elite Gaurd: The rare few who show proficiency with weapons but can also work rudimentary magic. Carry magically imbued swords and are the personal gaurd of the head of the Red Tower. Male.

Fire Daughter: Those women who are very brave and choose to guard the Red Tower itself. Carry powerful magic staves. Female.

Government - There is not much of a heirarchy, but the small ladder they have is as follows: Apprentice -- Novice -- Mage -- Magus -- Fire Daughter -- Elite Gaurd -- Archmage. Outside of this they are very laid back, but respect is very important, and no matter of what standing one is they always show respect to a friend, guest, superior, or inferior. The only ones who don't get much respect are the children, though they don't expect it nor do they particularly care until they reach 15 and become an Apprentice so they can begin to learn magic.

Produce/Trade - The Volkek-Oshra are very well respected for their skill of making magical amulets and medallions, which is why they wear theirs in public. They are usually very powerful and beautiful, but also very costly. It is a matter of great honor to them, as they don't really have much else to offer anyone in the way of products.

Natural Resources - There are not many natural resources in the City of Mages, with the exception of magic. All sorts of magical items, scrolls, tomes, and other such things can be found there, as well as the Eleven Towers and the best known magic school on all of Sarvonia. So the only real resource they have is the magic which they love so dearly, as it sets them apart from most other orcs.

Festivals - On the 10th of the Month of the Burning Heavens the Volkek-Oshra hold the Festival of Hunting. On this day they release wild animals into an underground arena, which is at the end of a short tunnel of taverns, food stores, and sitting rooms in the cattacombs of the orcs. After the release of these animals at one end, a number of orcs chase them down with spears, kill them, and drag them back. This is repeated every half-hour, as that's usually how long it takes, until all of them have gone through the ritual. Afterwards they build a large bonfire in the arena's center and all roast their kills, then the ale and wine flow freely and there is a great feast. This festival usually lasts 2 or 3 days, though the first lasterd 6 entire days.

Origin - The Volkek-Oshra were originally a cabal of orcish mages. Coming from various tribes under their leader, Karak The Learned, the formed the Society of Elightenment. Embracing other cultures, knowledge, and most especially the one thing they all had in common: Magic. Meeting in secret for many years, they were disliked by other orcs. Many were killed because of this hatred, but not as many as could have been. This is because they kept their meeting place a secret, a secret which has yet to be revealed to this day, though many believe it is carved into tablets somewhere in the halls of the Volkek-Oshra.

Some years after their founding they recieved a message from one Ximan Xuran, a human who had become a friend to the Society and shown their secret place. It came tied to the leg of a magical bird, a creation of Xuran, which vanished once the message was taken. It summoned the Society to come to a certain place, where he was building a city. It was a city where mages could be revered, not hated, no matter what race they were.

So the Society left for the future site of Ximax. Upon arrival they helped to raise the city, secretly carving out the cattacombs where they would take up residence later. Slowly they were accepted as normal parts of it's culture, learning manners and such so as not to offend anyone.

Later, when the Eleven Towers were built, they changed their name to the Volkek-Oshra, which they said meant Magic Orcs, though no one knows from which language they got this. They were so accepted then that even the first Archmage of Fire was an orc, named Gral the Powerful, who lived 120 years. That was when they knew they truly were equal citizens of Ximax.

History -
1967 b.S. - The Society of Elightenment is founded. Though they are despised they are mostly left alone, mostly because of their magic abilities, and the fact that they keep the location of their meeting place very well hidden.

2017 b.S. - The Society moves to the future site of Ximax on invite of Ximan Xuran. They help to raise the city and move in with the rest, though it is a rocky start as any who have had experiences with orcs or orchish species did not think of those times fondly and were worried about what might happen.

2022 b.S. - The orcs give themselves the name Volkek-Oshra and move into the cattacombs which they have been secretly constructing since the founding of Ximax. Many of the other Ximaxians are very relieved at this, though they have become more accostomed to living with the orcs.

2030 b.S. - The Volkek-Oshra finish the carving out and construction of the great underground arena which they use for entertainment. At first they fight animals, perform short plays, and some plays not so short. They also have contests to see who can create the most amazing and crowd-pleasing spells, though after an incident that nearly killed everyone, but killed only the caster, this was ended.

2034 b.S. - The Festival of Hunting starts. Several orcs voiced that they were afraid of losing touch totally with their roots and come up with this solution. The festival is a huge hit, and the first one lasts 6 days everyone enjoyed it so much. After this the orcs came to the decision it should be shortened.

---------------

Updated with an origin. Need just the final dates from Xarl until I'm ready to polish everything up. Questions/comments/additions?

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/28/02 1:41:56 am
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2002, 23:50:00 »

I like!
Where did they come from before all this, though?

Brownie Expert

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2002, 02:25:00 »

Don't have the time to read it all just now, but how long did you say you needed for it, an hour?? How many letters do you type per minute??

*scratches her head*'seems I'm really getting old!

Some people say I'm naughty.I'm not. I have the heart of a young girl.  - In a jar, on my desk.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2002, 02:45:00 »

A nitpick, Tarquet:

Don't we have various skin colours on Santharia?  I mean, racism takes on a whole new meaning when you are actually dealing with different 'races', not just humans!  I suspect that the desert folk are quite dark - as we used one of my pictures for the Shendar Nomads, I recall - while the Northern barbarians are much paler.  Perhaps Santharian geography still needs to be worked out, as melanin deposits in the skin generally are directly related to the level of sunlight in which the tribe/race/individual lives, no?

So saying  "Their skins are a dark brown color, which makes them seem to have a permanent tan" is actually an unnecessary observation which could only be made by a person who tans.  ;)   Could we just change that to something like "Their skins are generally a dark brown colour, like hour-old Bajian tea, and thicker than those of humans....." etc. ?

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2002, 15:25:00 »

I like this tribe also, but I would take into the considerations of the questions Grey asked. Also would take into consideration of the suggestion of the Bard.  I would also like to see more history on them. Maybe some important events or people of their race.  Remember Detail, Detail, Detail.

P.S. When writing history try to always put in dates. It gives a more historical view on the entry.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2002, 18:31:00 »

Yea, just an hour Talia. I think I'm probably up to about 100 around now.

Anyway, yea, I planned on expanding their origin and history more, but I was too tired to do this last night. As for dates, I still need the date for teh founding of Ximax, as well as the raising of the Eleven Towers as these will be used to the axis of their history.

As for the skin color thing, that's a good point, Judith. I got the color more from the orc entry something like "From green to brown to black" or some such, so I picked brown.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2002, 22:31:00 »

Okay, the founding of Ximax is (geez, if only I had a memory...) -2017? These will fit perfectly for the Ximaxian purposes, and I thank you for them.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2002, 22:37:00 »

Alright, thanks Xarl. I put something in there when I updated about them being friends of Xuran. Is that fine?

Oh, and were the Eleven Towers put up with the original city, or did those come later?

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/25/02 4:41:06 am
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2002, 23:18:00 »

Very cool entry, Tarquet!

Did you want a spellchecker/editor for that before it goes in, or were you going to do that later?

I'll be 'back' officially on Monday, so if you'd like a professional proofreader (sigh) to look it over, I'll gladly do it.  It's a very interesting entry and I can start learning a bit more about magic (pulls her head out of her musical scores and looks around with a befuddled expression)

I need to give some more details about Dwarven magic eventually, so I'll be in touch with you and Xarl about that.

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tarquet At School
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2002, 09:53:00 »

That would be great, Judith! I'd really like a proofreader, thanks.

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2002, 17:54:00 »

I really don't think that you should say that these are possibly the only tribe of orcs without an evil intent. Perhaps all orcs are slightly vicious in nature, but they can't all be evil. Many probably even have good intents, but are still... well... aggressive. But since wqe aren't having it as Tolkien did, with all Orcs and Goblins horrific facsimiles of humans and elves, subverted by dark magic and held to its whim, lets not do stuff like that. I would really like to see more "good" orcs. And that's all I'm going to say.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2002, 18:12:00 »

Hmmm... have only checked over the text but... Is there a reason why this Orcs live in Ximax? There are no major Orc tribes south of the Tandalas and would such Orcs be willing to live within a city once founded by humans?

Orcs are not generally evil as was stated before by Stormcrow. The Ashz-Oc are not evil but only very aggressive towards anyone interfering with their business. The Losh-Oc may be evil but they're still an mostly independant doing all the hateful stuff all on their own. So Orcs and humans usually don't get along well with each other not because one is evil but because both sides don't like each other.

Just some notes...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Never Surrender! Never Retreat! ...and don't drink and drive... ;)--

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2002, 22:31:00 »

Hey, I just got that from the entry on Orcs. Qoute: Aside from men, dwarves and elves one of the four main Aér'aí'chanían races, but the only one who is bearing evil intent by nature.

So I wasn't sure and just included that in with the rest of the information.

As for the reason they are there, it's because they were invited by Ximan Xuran, found of Ximax. They are the race created from the element of Fire, afterall. The elements are basically the cornerstones of magic, with the Xeuá and Anti-Xeuá used to create and destroy their bonds, and Raw Magic somewhat standing alone.

since they were a society of orc mages, and friends of Xuran, it would seem the right thing to do that he invite them to be the keepers of the Red Tower.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2002, 04:25:00 »

Yeah this very old entry has to be reworked I guess. It still refers to Orc tribes that were never described.

I'm just thinking about the predjudices humans and orcs would have against each other but I'll read it more closely first before making other suggestions.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Never Surrender! Never Retreat! ...and don't drink and drive... ;)--

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 1/26/02 7:52:37 pm
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2002, 11:03:00 »

Well, they weren't immediatly accepted by everyone, but they were respected as magic users none the less. And when one of the most powerful magi in the world says "They're coming here to stay" you think twice about rejecting them.

OK, and I edited it so it says "one of the tribes without a truly evil intent". Is that good?

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/26/02 5:08:57 pm
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]