Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Volkek-Oshra  (Read 5604 times)
SmurfStormcrow

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2002, 14:38:00 »

Okay, I see. Sort of...

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2002, 20:35:00 »

Ummm... Any ideas on history? I'm personally out of ideas for it. Not really much for them to do...

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 February 2002, 08:58:00 »

Anybody out there? Hello? Somebody? *Waves his arms*

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 February 2002, 11:17:00 »

I'm here Tarquet and I have a big problem once I really read through your entry a few times, something kept on nagging at me and then I saw it.  You have Orcs as magic users.  Most Orc be do not know how to use magic.  If I have read the entry correctly on Orcs, The only magical orcs were the UON'KH' AL'ON.  Which were mainly healers or priests.  They were very very rare.  Somehow you need to come up with a reason how this orcish tribe has such magical abilities, and don't give me a pat answer such as because they live in Ximax territory.  It won't wash.  After you come up with some idea of how to fix the main problem, then we can continue.

I do not mean to so critical of your tribe, like I said before it is good.  But I thinkall of us need to understand that we have to follow a certain scheme of things so as to incorporate everything according to descrips of the past and to integrate it into Sarvonia smoothly and logically.  

I have great confidence in your ability to come up with something we can all agree on.  Keep up the good work

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2002, 18:17:00 »

It's not at all because they live in Ximaxian territory. They had these powers before Ximax was even built.

I suppose the reason is that the Gods gave people magic around the War of the Chosen, and there ya go, but to get into specifics: They were the rare few. I was thinking; Why are there only a few magic using orcs, and those usually priests? Don't really know the answer, and as far as I can tell it's not in the orc entry, so I just came up with: Persecution. Orcs persecuted magic users because, well, they probably thought it was a bad thing. Of course priests get their powers from their Gods. Where do these people get them? Evil. Kill them.

Just stop me when you have a problem with this.

So the orcs persecuted their magic users, yet those who had magical powers enjoyed them. Solution? They gathered with eachother, the only people who wouldn't persecute them. Thus, from some of these orc magic users coming together was created the Order of Enlightenment. They let other orc magic-users know about them too, and it slowly grew until the majority of those rare orc magic-users now lived together in a little commune away from other orcs. This led to a forced selective breeding thing, creating more orc mages, though there were the rare few who didn't use magic, and out of fear they were killed or banished.

Of course this group dedicated itself to the gathering of knowledge, so several went out to collect info from other mages and such. In this some other powerful mages became special 'friends' to the Order. One such was the mentor of Ximan Xuran. Ximan learned of this too, of course, and when he decided to make his City of Mages he remembered the Order, who had been hospitable to him before. He knew they were always in danger of being attacked by other orcs, even though they inspired some fear. Thus Ximan invited them to join him, and they joyfully accepted.

This made orc magic-users of the Wizardly type even more rare (in generally orc-inhabited areas), as the majority of them emmigrated to Ximax as part of the Order.

Does that clear things up?

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2002, 01:37:00 »

Very interesting concept, I was playing with the idea of banishment for a Northern Orc race, and it seems it fits well with this idea.  Hmmm, I was thinking many of the orcs of the north banished would be gathered by dark elves at the Dark Winds Portal.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2002, 06:47:00 »

My opinion was just slightly the other way around.

Orcs see magic as a gift of the gods so all people who are capable of magic become shamans, except when the gift seem to be from an evil God, then kill the gifted one of course.

The lack of magic is because of the lack of education, no libraries, no books means that one shaman can only teach his "students" about the powers he knows but when a Shaman dies his knowledge is lost so there are many myths and talks but only a low level of powerful magic.

Most Shamans can only cast low-level magic able to direct the broad masses of Orcs with nice tricks. So what the Orcs really lack are real priests. Of course the shamans are somehow aligned to gods as well but not really priests of certain Gods but of certain clans...

Hope this makes some sense! :)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2002, 07:28:00 »

True, but if they all did get together in one place, say Ximax or DWP where they can learn from other orcs, or more magically advanced races, then great orc mages make sense in that matter I suppose.  I would imagine the view of magic would also vary from tribe to tribe, or over different regions.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2002, 12:05:00 »

I guess that would work.  But it needs to be written into the entry clearly and cohesively.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2002, 16:39:00 »

Clear and Cohesive, right right, will do. Hopefully by this update, if not by the next.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2002, 07:47:00 »

Tarq....

Can you suggest a famous orcen mage for the coinage I'm developing?

Would Karak the Learned be that guy, or do you have anyone else?

I don't have any females so far.....hint hint....

Bard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2002, 09:01:00 »

I'll try and think something up for you. Maybe the woman who thought up the Fire Daughters.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]