Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Aohu'o (Akdorian Brownies) FINAL DRAFT  (Read 2619 times)
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 13 February 2002, 11:57:00 »

The Aohu'o (Akdorian Brownies)

Overview
The Aohu'o (from a word meaning walking, wandering, or nomadic) tribe is sub-divided into as many as 200 distinct bands, and live mainly in inland Akdor, but can also be found scattered throughout Sorren, both as minorities among the other tribes, and as a treeful here and a treeful there. Hunter-gatherers, these tribes are wildly mischeivious, to the point of being obnoxious, but they are also the guardians of Brownie culture and religion, as well as being the best hunters and marksmen of the Brownie tribes. Shamans re-enact history and myth, keeping the past alive. They also encourage the reverence of the spirits of tree and rock and stream, making the spirits as real to the Aohu'o as the animals they hunt.

Appearance
Aohu'o individuals are identical in appearance to those of the LLaoihrr, Memnoor, and Milken, fitting the general Brownie description. Among the Aohu'o, Brownbarks and Greenbarks predominate, with the occasional Redbark, and, rarely, those of other shades.

Coat of Arms
None.

Territory
Each band, comprising somewhere between 200 and 500 people, is estimated to utilize a territory of from 4 to 9 square kilopeds. Almost 200 of these bands are scattered throughout the open plain of central Akdor. Bands of Aohu'o have immigrated to many parts of Sorren, sometimes blending in with other Brownie tribes, and sometimes just settling down in a likely tree.

People
Aohu'o do not have the high technology of their LLaoihrr cousins, or the access to myriad worlds like their Memnoor cousins, relying instead on simple nets, traps and ingenuity. This ingenuity often manifests as mischieviousness, and Aohu'o Brownies have raised the practical joke to an art form. Whenever you see a group of Brownies tying up intruders, trapping them in nets, or playing jokes on them, it is certain that they are members of a band of the Aohu'o tribe. Many of them are also excellent riders, choosing rabbits or other small animals as their steeds.

Lifemagic, where it is found, is strong among the Aohu'o, but not as organized as among the LLaoihrr. Many Redbarks, having the most lifemagic potential, end up becoming Shamans, while the remainder are scattered, with only a small handful being found in any one band.

Aohu'o Brownies are great friends of the Drasil, to their mutual benefit. The adult Drasil protect the band, while the young are protected from predators by the band.

Housing
Aohu'o bands are generally nomadic, and their housing reflects this. They are built to hold together only for a single season, out of twigs, grasses, and mud, either in a tree or on the ground, with different bands building their houses in different styles. The Aohu'o that live among other Brownie tribes often end up imitating the housing of those they live among.

Clothing
Both men and women dress primarily in various animal skins. Because of the average Brownie's extremely active lifestyle, and the low temperatures present on the central plain of Akdor, rough tunics and pants, and low leather boots are almost universal among Aohu'o. A belt with multiple pouches is often worn, and a hunting/writing knife or two are generally to be found slipped into a boot.

Food
Aohu'o are stricly hunter-gatherers. Their diet depends both on the luck of their hunting, and on which foods available from plants are ripe. They eat a lot of meat, of all sorts.

Weapons
Aohu'o weapons are adapted for hunting, and are known for their deadly accuracy. This accuracy derives not from the weapon itself, but from the skill of the wielder. The worst shot among the Aohu'o could be considered a sharpshooter if compared to anyone not of his tribe. The most common weapons used are the bow, the blowpipe, and the knife. Using bows and arrows is a skill that the Brownie people learned from observing elves before the Brownies began migrating and dividing into their tribes, in the time of Keekoo the Deliverer. Bows may be a tenth of a ped or longer, and are hand-carved from carefully selected and cut pieces of wood. Arrows are generally poisoned, killing the prey or merely rendering it senseless depending on which poison is used, allowing Aohu'o to take on prey many times larger than themselves. They have a maximum range of perhaps 25 peds. Blowpipes were invented in the same time frame that Brownies were first beginning to use bows, and are compact, easy to store and carry, and simple in form, being merely a hollowed-out straight twig. Poisoned darts are also used with blowpipes. The blowpipe range is generally considered to be 12 peds. Hunting knives are also common, and are used for many things, from skinning and gutting prey, to writing a message to someone, to being an aid in climbing, to being a last desperate weapon of defence. Made from rarely-used iron, they are never thrown as a projectile. Nets and other traps are also very common, and are often used in the hunt to slow down and entrap an animal for the kill.

Occupations
Hunting and gathering are universal, as these are the two skills that are neccessary for the survival of each band. A third occupation, that of the Shaman, is composed of Brownies that wander from band to band. Having memorized hundreds of stories, myths, and geneologies, and believed to be in contact with the spirits of rock, tree, and stream, Shamans are held in the highest respect. They are the guardians of Brownie history, culture, and religious beliefs.

Government
Aohu'o bands are each completely independant from each other. Within each band, members that are good providers or have much experience are given special respect. Most bands are loosely ruled by these respected elders, with the most respected Brownie often being considered to be chieftain of the band. This group will then make decisions that affect the entire band, yet they get only slightly more preferential treatment.

Production/Trade
Furs and other animal products, as well as the herbs and other plant products that the tribes gather. A particular band of Aohu'o on the western coast of Akdor also produces Brownie-sized ships, as well as small boats of human size for trade.

Natural Resources
Small and large game, roots, herbs, fruits, vegetables, grasses, and the occasional tree.

Festivals
The most celebrated holidays among the Aohu'o are religious ones, as they are fervently religious. Several of them have something to do with honoring the spirits of rock, tree, and stream, and one of them honors Aheh, the mysterious First One. Other holidays are also celebrated, as the Aohu'o have the most celebrations of any Brownie tribe.

History

History of the Aohu'o Tribe

Date     Incident

3.983 b.S.
Westward departure
Keekoo organized and sent out three groups of colonists. In this year he sent out the first group, which eventually would become the Aohu'o tribe.

3.983 b.S.
-3.109 b.S
The Wandering Years
The Brownie band migrated northward, and soon reached the Almatrar forest. Finding the Ahrhim tribe of elves already living there, they continued to migrate. They passed through the Paelelon forest, stopping only long enough to discover traces of the dark elven Eophyrhim. The Goltherlon, the next forest along their course, also turned out to have previous inhabitants, the Goltherrhim elves. As the wandering tribe of Brownies continued north, they reached the Thaelon, thought it a wonderful place, and settled there. They were never able to shake the feeling of uneasiness that they had while they lived there, however, even though they tried several different places for their settlement. Eventually they continued north. Passing through the Hovel Frond forest and the Shaded Forest, they eventually reached the Folkmore Trees on the Peninsula of Kr'uul, and settled at a point where a finger of the Caaehl'heroth touched the fringes of the forest. Even this forest soon proved unsuitable for them. They changed Keekoo's plans they had been following for hundreds of years of wandering, and became ship-builders. A generation later, they built enough ships to hold all the Aohu'o, as they now called themselves, and set sail into the trackless Sea of Tears. This sea proved true to its name, and many ships were destroyed. The few that remained afloat eventually made landfall on the western coast of Akdor, in a bay just north of the Mountains of Hiding.  

3.109 b.S The Aohu'o tribe made landfall on the coast of Akdor

3.029 b.S The Aohu'o tribe settled just north of the Mountains of Hiding
Spread out over quite a distance, the Aohu'o built houses and settled in the trees on the southern fringe of Akdor's great central forest.  

2.963 - 2.961b.S The vast majority of trees in Akdor's central forest were destroyed
.....in fires started because of a human war against Pendrowe and Drasil. Most of the Aohu'o Brownies were killed in the resulting inferno. Because their territory was so spread out, they were unable to completely regroup, and, fleeing for their lives, were separated into several bands, which would eventually divide further as their population reached the carrying capacity of their band's territory. These bands struggled for survival, and in the process became very good at it. Aohu'o hunters developed their legendary marksmanship through the process of this struggle. They also "adopted" the Drasil, which had been nearly wiped out in the war and fires, forming a symbiotic relationship with them. Because of everything they had been through, Aohu'o began to especially value their history, their myths and other stories to a degree not now found among the other Brownie tribes. An oral tradition was developed, and culminated in the creation and eventual separating out of the class or band now known as Shamans.  

Brownie Expert

Edited by: Greybark at: 2/15/02 6:13:36 pm
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2002, 11:58:00 »

Please give input!
Especially Capher the wise, Thuja, and Drogo.

Brownie Expert

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2002, 15:20:00 »

Grey it looks good to me.  One itsy bitsy question though, the last entry of the history tells of war between the other inhabitants of Akdor. Who was the war against?

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2002, 22:12:00 »

hehehe.....that's what Thuja and I are working on.....
Not really ready for posting yet, for that reason.

Brownie Expert

Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2002, 22:26:00 »

hehe, he called me wise.  It's about time you people recognize :b  Anyway, it looks great to me.  Seems this is an area of much migration.  Reminds me of patterns between Scotland and Ireland.  History looks good so far, and well done as usual.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2002, 09:51:00 »

Greybark,

I like what you have but a few questions.  At least these are what I can think of right now.  Maybe you or me will think of others as we go along.

1) The Aohu'o use to have a Drasil and a rabbit as their coat of arms.  Is this no longer true?  Have you removed it for a reason?

2) Before there were currently 172 tribes or bands in Akdor with usually between 160-180.  Now you state there are 200 bands mostly living in central Akdor.  That would make about 12000 more Brownies in Akdor and on the plains.  Would these plains be able to support this may more Brownies?  I only ask because Akdor is farther north and I think the winters would be a little harder and the summers would also be shorter.  I think it could work but we would have to make a good ecology on these plains.  One thing else to think about is the remnant human nomadic tribes that would roam through these plains occasionally

3) Just another thought, these 200 bands, do they include the tribe on the west coast area of Akdor and the 5 tribes that live in the Vale of Brownies in the Dark Hills?

4) These wars with the previous inhabitants, how effective can a brownie fight with humans?  I must admit I don't know even yet how large or small a Brownie is.  If they do, it could be the Pendrig Sauthar.  That is if they landed somewhere around the Bay of Wealth and made war with these people.  But if they made war with others while wandering trying to find their niche it could be any number of people.  Some of which are just mentioned and not elaborated yet.

5) You have the Aohu'o building their own ships and sailing to Akdor where before they walked into a town and hired boats.  Do you want to still do this?  Just some things you may want to consider.  The Brownies that set out have never sailed on a sea before, how could they stay together even if the sea were to remain calm, a single storm would scatter these boats all over.  They are sailing on a northern sea and they are never calm for long.

6) Something about the boats, maybe they landed all along the eastern coast of Akdor and the Aohu'o wandered for years searching to find if others survived this crossing.  In so doing they became familiar with this new land and were able to find their place.  This could also make it easier for them to avoid all the turmoil that will erupt on this land.  Just an idea.

7) Another idea about the boats.  Are you thinking of having some of these brownies finding landfall on islands and becoming lost or forgotten to the other Brownies.  It would seem logical if a single storm were to hit this fleet.  Again an idea.

Those were just a few thoughts… :)  well okay, maybe a few more than that.  What do you think about these?  Any of it totally weird?

Ideas are funny little things.  They won't work unless you do.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2002, 11:11:00 »

Thuja,
Thanks much for the detailed reply to my small piece of Akdor. Here are my replies.
Note: the following numbers refer to your numbers in the previous post.

1. CoA: yeah, basically I finally listened to the argument I got from people months ago. What use would a tribe of Brownies have for a coat of arms, unless they were fighting together with other races against the enemy, or if some of the enemy *were* Brownies? Now it's basically changed to just the LLaoihrr (Vale) Brownies having a CoA, as they fought in SWIII. That was my reasoning at least.

2. We can definitely cut the number of bands (used to be called tribes) down from "less than 200", even way down. BTW: The new stats I got for the individual bands for there to be 200-500 people per band was from this book on prehistory I read, where it said that less then 200 people its hard to find a spouse, and more than 500 people exceeds the carrying capacity of the land (it said that each reindeer needs a square kilometer, and each person needs 10 reindeer, to simplify the description. I used these, and took Brownie small apetites into account, and came up with 4-9 square kilometer range for each band). So with the stats in this version of the entry, all the Aohu'o bands living in Akdor would cover an area of, say, 1300 square kilometers. This area is about the same as that covered by just the rivers, lakes, and ponds in Switzerland, according to the CIA world factbook, or just 3% of the total area of Switzerland( or, to put it another way, just half the total area of Luxembourg). I am assuming that the plains we are working with here are vast, at least much bigger than Switzerland, and so this would leave plenty of area inbetween and around Aohu'o bands for human tribes, wildlife, or anything else. It seems to me that this would be limited enough, however, I *am* willing to change and work with you. What would you suggest?
note 1: I just used Switzerland as an example because your team description says you live there, and I figured it would make the figures more alive to you.
note 2: How big of an area are these plains, anyhow?

3. Yes. note that it is no longer 5 bands (used to be called tribes) living in the Vale, but an unspecified number. I realized that over thousands of years, things and numbers change, and so tried to make things like this a bit less specific.

4. We talked about maybe having a small war, started by Brownies kidnapping someone as a practical joke, and this assisting in the dispersal of the Aohu'o bands. I'm hoping we can elaborate this small war a bit more, and put the description in the entry in the place of this. Brownies would be effective in a war only because of 3 things: 1. nets and traps 2. numbers that can be brought to bear on a small location 3. poisoned weapon points. They average just under 6 inches tall.
I would assume that they would be winning in the beginning battles of any war, and then would lose badly later on, as soon as the humans adapted to their tactics....perhaps by using hundreds of cats as a strike force? I dunno.... Also the Brownies would have no defensible position on the open plain of Akdor, so have nothing to keep a defeat from becoming a decisive rout.

5. I am counting on most of the ships sinking. I want only one, or two, or another very small number, of ships to survive at all, and for these paltry survivors to land, perhaps shipwreck on the western coast of Akdor. It seemed more reasonable a scenario to me then finding massive (for Brownies) quantities of gold, finding a ship captain, and purchasing transport to a rarely-visited far away continent.

6. hmmm.....I picked the west coast for two reasons: 1. It touches the central plain. 2. There are no large cities located there, as far as I know. Searching and wandering are good, as this fits their tribal character. Er....what turmoil?

7. Ah, I don't know yet. I guess it would be alright, as long as they stayed Aohu'o in way of life, culture, marksmanship, and religion. I was thinking that the vast majority of the ships would be sunk and lost, being small ships in unpredictable northern seas, as you mentioned in #5. Do you have any specific ideas in mind?

Brownie Expert

Edited by: Greybark at: 2/13/02 5:38:02 pm
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2002, 20:16:00 »

No problem with leaving the Brownies in that number.  I was just asking and you made a good point.  And the plains are vast.  How big is not know yet.  We can work on that as we work this out more.

The small war idea I have written an e-mail to you.  I thought this was another aspect to another war.  I am sure we can work it in if you want it.  But I don't think there would be much problem with the inhabitants at that point in history.

Thanks for answering the reason for the ships.  Makes more sense this way.  I have no specific ideas of other ships landing on an island.  Just something in passing as I was responding.  Although you might want to hold it in reserve, you never know when something might pop up.

West coast is fine, it would work with an ocean stream forcing them back to the continent when they missed it a little south.  Or maybe you have another idea.  What ever is fine.

The turmoil in the land is in my e-mail I believe.  If not just let me know.

I hope everything is covered then.  Other than what I questioned, which has been cleared up, I see no problems with it.  But I hope you are ready to be adding more info to them as we go along.  I will also be picking your brain for Brownie names for thing when we can get moving on Akdor better. :)  :)

Ideas are funny little things.  They won't work unless you do.

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2002, 12:13:00 »

So Grey, now that everything seems to be clear, is this tribe ready for uploading?

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2002, 12:36:00 »

Not quite yet. One small point being settled by e-mail, then it will be.

Brownie Expert

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2002, 12:58:00 »

Ok my friend.  When ready just tell me.

Great work by the way.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2002, 12:15:00 »

Hashed out the final question with Thuja. History is now updated. Ready for upload.

Brownie Expert

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]