Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Jhehellrhim tribe.  (Read 6425 times)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 06 December 2001, 13:16:00 »

I have tried to work on the elven tribe of Jhehellrhim. Here is what is up so far.

The Jhehellrhim tribe

General: Large wood elven tribe living at the Istarin forest, for a long time living in small groups , often by family. This tribe has as far people remember been divided into 5 fólds, or towns. Not war waging, but they always have a war leader ready to prepare their defences(but for many years no other then bandits ever attacked. While living of hunting, and trading with humans, they also collect mushrooms and berrys and whatever the forest contains.

Appearance: The wood elves here are light brown colored in skin, with blond or yellow hair. They usually dress in shades of green, but on parties and big events, many dress in red, blue and yellow to show that there are a chance to get away from the everyday life. Men wear their hair shoulder-length, women commonly wear it longer.

Government: A nyermér'rónn, a war leader is chosen by the counsil of elders for a lifetime, but he or she may be set off if there is reason for it (Big faults having nasty consequences, for ex.). The counsil is chosen by the elves themselves, and consists of people who are  highly respected among them. The members are chosen on a lifetime, and there are total 50 members, 10 from each town. This 10 are leading their towns, and act like trouble-shooters. But everyone is free to speak on the Aluäñes, the meeting. It is held every month to get rid of town problems and to let people speak directly to the counsil members. The counsil members must give a good answer if somebody asks why they are doing somethings he or she sees as bad for the town.

Coat of arms: This elven tribe have chosen a bow as their coat-of-arms symbol because of the hunting as their main food source. The bow is crossed by a sword to symbol that the Jhehellrhim are always prepared to defend their forest.

Festivals: The biggest festival is the one dedicated to Avá, the high goddess. It is held every spring to celebrate that the winter is over and the forest will soon flourish again. A smaller festival is held to honor Arvins, god of the hunt, several times per year. Goddess of peace, Eyasha, is respected and people often pray to her so no war will come over Istarin.

Religion: This elves honor Avá, the high goddess, and several of the twelve: Arvins, god of the hunt and Eyasha, goddess of peace. They also honor Queprur, goddess of death. She is called and asked to have mercy with their deads when a funeiral is held.

Edited by: Silfer Darkflare at: 12/10/01 8:18:46 pm

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2001, 12:41:00 »

First Silfer it is a good first try. But I would ask Wren, our elven expert or Uragel who seems to good at elves as well whether or not they are working on them. Second you should try and use the general form I came up with to describe all tribes or races. Third, detail detail detail. Art likes detail.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2001, 12:58:00 »

I asked Uragel, and searched the site, there are noone working on them

Second, i am trying to follow exactly your cheme

third , you are right

:lol  

Wisdom is only possesed by the learning.

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2001, 16:24:00 »

I know I should welcome the help, but I almost feel like I becoming a moderator not a writer....I guess now I know how arti feels. But send me what you have I'll look it over and make suggestions.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2001, 12:17:00 »

Looks nice what we have so far. Some comments:

So in fact the towns are ruled by 10 instead o 1, that right? And this war leader you speak of: Is it seen as the head of the tribe or just as the war leader, managing all things concerning warfare in general?

Judging from the location of the tribe I would say that the Istarin lies in a rather abandoned territory, where there are not much humans around (I think that the Istarin could reach to the hill-lands in the south). So the most things they could fear are creatures living there like trolls, or beasts from the swamp. Also propose that in ancient days the region near the Seanian Swamps were orcish territory, which were lateron forced to move up to the north by the expanding humans (these orcs can now live at the Alsis Caey, NE of Astran). Maybe you could incude that in the History part?

Other question: Aluäñes is a bit of a strange word... So far we haven't used "ä" and "ñ" in the elven tongue. Can you perhaps name it a bit differently?

And yup, some more details can't be wrong. Also suggest to check out our latest ideas on tribe developments - see this link.

Santharian Webmaster & Forum Admin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2001, 05:42:00 »

Well, ill try to do

Nor good nor evil can exist alone. Only in balance the world is maintained.

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2001, 06:00:00 »

General: Large wood elven tribe living at the Istarin forest, for a long time living in small groups, often by family. This tribe has as far people remember been divided into 5 fólds, or towns. Not war waging, but they always have a war leader ready to prepare their defences(but for many years no other then bandits ever attacked. While living of hunting, they also collect mushrooms and berries and whatever the forest contains.

Appearance: The wood elves here are light brown colored in skin, with blond or yellow hair. They usually dress in shades of green, but on parties and big events, many dress in red, blue and yellow to show that there are a chance to get away from the everyday life. Men wear their hair shoulder-length, women commonly wear it longer..

Government: A nyermér'rónn, a war leader, is chosen by the counsil of elders for a lifetime, but he or she may be set off if there is reason for it (Big faults having nasty consequences, for ex.). He or she is seen as the head of the tribe, but he mostly manages things considering warfare. The council is chosen by the elves themselves, and consists of people who are highly respected among them. The members are chosen on a lifetime, and there are total 50 members, 10 from each town. This 10 are leading their towns, and act like trouble-shooters. But everyone is free to speak on the Alaern, the meeting. It is held every month to get rid of town problems and to let people speak directly to the counsil members. The counsil members must give a good answer if somebody asks why they are doing somethings he or she sees as bad for the town.

Coat of arms: This elven tribe have chosen a bow as their coat-of-arms symbol because of the hunting as their main food source. The bow is crossed by a sword to symbol that the Jhehellrhim are always prepared to defend their forest.

Festivals: The biggest festival is the one dedicated to Avá, the high goddess. It is held every spring to celebrate that the winter is over and the forest will soon flourish again. A smaller festival is held to honor Arvins, god of the hunt, several times per year. Goddess of peace, Eyasha, is respected and people often pray to her so no attacks may come over Istarin.

Religion: This elves honor Avá, the high goddess, and several of the twelve: Arvins, god of the hunt and Eyasha, goddess of peace. They also honor Queprur, goddess of death. She is called and asked to have mercy with their deads when a funeiral is held.

Buildings: The people of Jhehellrhim live in small houses up in the trees. These houses are easy to defend, and they are connected with small bridges.

Education/Training: The Jhehellrhim focuses on hunting, defence, making skills and some magic. The children start their education from 10 years, and are trained in the generals of hunting, reading footprints, and defending themselves. If some of them show magical powers, they are often taken as apprentices for a mage. When they reach 20, they can specialize themselves in some arts. Hunting and weapon making for example. To specialize, the young elves become apprentices for skilled hunters or whatever. The teacher tells then when he thinks the person has learned all he/she could teach away. Then the person is a master in his art, and can train apprentices on his/her own.

Magic: If a child shows magic powers, he or she becomes an apprentice for a mage. The Jhehellrhim elves often show powers in the magic of the elements, and many powerful elemental mages are from this tribe. Usually, an apprentice studies 4-5 years with a mage, and then leaves the tribe for some time, travelling and studying the world alone. Then he/she may come back to the tribe, or do as he or she pleases.

History: The Istarin forest lies near the Seanian Swamps, which were orcish territory in the old days. Then the expanding humans forced the orcs north-east, to Alsis Caey, where it is said orcs still live. When the orcs were neighbours to the Jhehellrhim, they attacked often. But later, the only things were beasts from the swamp and orcish bandits. But Since Istarin lies in a rather abandoned territory, they don’t have much history.

So far, so good. Artimidor, dont just say some thing about history without giving links! Its no fun searching the whole site up and down to find something.

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2001, 06:49:00 »

I've had a read through it... and they have a lot in common with the Tethinrhim - they worship the exact same gods, live up in the trees, hunting and war ready tribe. The Tethinrhim seem - IMOHO - the intense version of the Jhelhellrhim (or the Jhelhellrhim are the calmed down version of the Tethinrhim – depending on which side of the coin that you want to look at)..

I'm not sure of the Jhelhellrhim’s origins, however since they are so alike maybe they are a 'spin off' from them... The Tethinrhim are a 'spin' from the Quaelhoirhim as are - as far as I gather the Ylfferhim... which is mentioned in both their descriptions...

Whether the Jhelhellrhim are a spin from the Tethinrhim or the Quaelhoirhim – or the Ylfferhim for that matter – I’m not fussed but the similarities are a little 'tooo' much for there not to be *some thing* even if a few from either tribe went up on a trip and found the elves and influenced them...

I realise that all the tribes essentially came from one group – however they didn’t just split up into the different tribes straight away, it would have been a gradual progression..

Uragel!
Herbarium Mistress, Santharian World Development Moderator - Art's Little Helper
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
And then do what the women did.Character Description

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2001, 13:29:00 »

Well, indeed there could be more things the Jhehellrhim stand for. I've said that it's ok that not everything must be 100% original, so they could worship the same gods as other tribes. And the government structure hasn't necessarily to be different at all tribes etc. But some more additional things should be added indeed which make them more unique. Also I lack various details here.

Perhaps they could indeed be treated as a spin-off of another tribes, e.g. that they seperated when moving in from the north. But this requires a more detailed concept, Silfer.

Also I can't provide you with all links necessary. My time is limited. Use the "Search Site" feature on the Website menu to learn more about certain aspects.

Santharian Webmaster & Forum Admin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2001, 14:29:00 »

Ok, il work on it. Hope to catch Wren online, cus many questions are to her

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2001, 17:59:00 »

Art, is it "legal" to integrate in history something "possible", but something i made up for this tribe?

And one more question: Near Istarin lies the Carmalad and the Alianian hills. Can i let dwarfs live there or say that they dwelt there in old days?

Edited by: Silfer Darkflare at: 12/16/01 12:25:23 am

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2001, 16:51:00 »

I have added some details about the history part, and culture. I really need ideas about housing part. Please give some.

Here is the updatefd version:

General: Large wood elven tribe living at the Istarin forest, for a long time living in small groups, often by family. This tribe has as far people remember been divided into 5 fólds, or towns. Not war waging, but they always have a war leader ready to prepare their defences(but for many years no other then bandits ever attacked. While living of hunting, they also collect mushrooms and berries and whatever the forest contains. Some of them also interact with the people of Carmalad, but they are ill-looked at. This tribe has for very long time been living after the proverb:”Spring sap rises, autumn leaves fall”.(Meaning that the life goes on and on, with no major changes)

Appearance: The wood elves here are light brown colored in skin, with blond or yellow hair. They usually dress in shades of green, but on parties and big events, many dress in red, blue and yellow to show that there are a chance to get away from the everyday life. Men wear their hair shoulder-length, women commonly wear it longer. If somebody expirience great sorrow, they may cut their hair to show it.

Government: A nyermér'rónn, a war leader, is chosen by the counsil of elders for a lifetime, but he or she may be set off if there is reason for it (Big faults having nasty consequences, for ex.). He or she is seen as the head of the tribe, but he mostly manages things considering warfare. The council is chosen by the elves themselves, and consists of people who are highly respected among them. The members are chosen on a lifetime, and there are total 50 members, 10 from each town. This 10 are leading their towns, and act like trouble-shooters. But everyone is free to speak on the Alaern, the meeting. It is held every month to get rid of town problems and to let people speak directly to the counsil members. The counsil members must give a good answer if somebody asks why they are doing somethings he or she sees as bad for the town.

Festivals: The biggest festival is the one dedicated to Avá, the high goddess. It is held every spring to celebrate that the winter is over and the forest will soon flourish again. A smaller festival is held to honor Arvins, god of the hunt, several times per year. Goddess of peace, Eyasha, is respected and people often pray to her so no attacks may come over Istarin.

Buildings: The people of Jhehellrhim live in small houses up in the trees. These houses are easy to defend, and they are connected with small bridges.

Education/Training: The Jhehellrhim focuses on hunting, defence, making skills and some magic. The children start their education from 10 years, and are trained in the generals of hunting, reading footprints, and defending themselves. If some of them show magical powers, they are often taken as apprentices for a mage. When they reach 20, they can specialize themselves in some arts. Hunting and weapon making for example. To specialize, the young elves become apprentices for skilled hunters or whatever. The teacher tells then when he thinks the person has learned all he/she could teach away. Then the person is a master in his art, and can train apprentices on his/her own.

Magic: If a child shows magic powers, he or she becomes an apprentice for a mage. The Jhehellrhim elves often show powers in the magic of the elements, and many powerful elemental mages are from this tribe. Usually, an apprentice studies 4-5 years with a mage, and then leaves the tribe for some time, travelling and studying the world alone. Then he/she may come back to the tribe, or do as he or she pleases. Some mages from here sometimes settle in Carmalad, but the people there look bad on all elves.

History: The Istarin forest lies near the Seanian Swamps, which were orcish territory in the old days. Then the expanding humans forced the orcs north-east, to Alsis Caey, where it is said orcs still live. When the orcs were neighbours to the Jhehellrhim, they attacked often. But later, the only things were beasts from the swamp and orcish bandits. In the Third Sarvonian War, the Jhehellrhim helped to defend Carmalad, but the city fell, and the Istarin forest got razed by orcs. This is the biggest destruction the Jhehellrhim ever faced, and its a miracle they ever survived. Now, the people of Carmalad generally consider the Jhehellrhim as a legend, but some know of them and even coperate with them.

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2001, 20:56:00 »

Definatly getting better :)  

- My suggestion,

Quote:
Government: A nyermér'rónn, a war leader, is chosen by the counsil of elders for a lifetime, but he or she may be set off if there is reason for it (Big faults having nasty consequences, for ex.).
Perhaps re-worded saying A Nyermér'rónn (war leader) is chosen by a counsil of elders. Unless deemed unfit by the council this period of rule continues throughout the life of the Nyermér'rónn.

Is Nyermér'rónn male specific? or is it 'renamed' Nyermér'rann for female leaders? Although there aren't any major wars happening at the moment, what happens if the Nyermér is mentally sound and capable of thinking clearly, and the Jhehellrhim are called to battle? Is that leader then deemed unfit and dishonoured because of their age and no other reasons? - Mainly wondering if there is a difference between 'loosing' the right to rule is it always seen as a dishonour, or is there also times when it is an honourable thing to do.

- When deemed unfit to rule, what happens to that person? Are they also outcast from the tribe?

Nit picky but that's what I'm wondering...  

Uragel!
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
And then do what the women did.Character Description
Moderating Mistress - All Round "Little Helper"

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 December 2001, 10:46:00 »

<starting up the work-on-elves engine... done. Opening dokument....done. Starting writing....>

Ill try to write something

Silfer Darkflare
Master of the Lightning, The Santharian Annoyer and Reminder.
What is good and what is evil depends on which side of the coin you see.

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 December 2001, 17:05:00 »

Quote:
Although there aren't any major wars happening at the moment, what happens if the Nyermér is mentally sound and capable of thinking clearly, and the Jhehellrhim are called to battle? Is that leader then deemed unfit and dishonoured because of their age and no other reasons?

The elves do not age as we see it. They get older, but the weaken not. (I think so, but wren should look on this.)

Silfer Darkflare
Master of the Lightning, The Santharian Annoyer and Reminder.
What is good and what is evil depends on which side of the coin you see.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]