Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Orc entry  (Read 1853 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 19 February 2002, 18:44:00 »

The Orcs are the fourth main race of Sorren and the most aggressive. They led many wars against the other races and brought havoc to many lands. While not evil by nature they're rather chaotic and their aggressive tendencies were often exploited by other forces to bring death and destruction to many places of Sorren.

Appearance. Although the appearance varies from tribe to tribe Orcs are generally slightly smaller than men but with more muscular bodies.
They might have the highest endurance of all races except for dwarves and due to their good noses are able to track their prey over long distances. Their noses are broad and flat, the ears pointed like elves but bigger  and their broad jaw hosts terrible fangs and sharp teeth.
Their skin and eye color varies from gray to brown or green and from yellow to red. Their eyes often seem to glow at night and it is said they've an exceptional night vision.
When going to war which is possibly the most probable  occasion to meet Orcs they like to paint their faces in different manners to look even more scary. Armor is uncommon among most Orcish tribes though not necessarily unknown but they usually cover themselves in thick furs or leather and carry wooden or leather shields against arrows and sword blows. The most common weapons are spears and clubs, but they're able of smithing good swords and sabres as well.
Most tribes can be distinguished by the way of their face painbtings as well as their clothes but only few people were ever long enough into contact with orcs to record these differences.

Cosmological Origin. According to the Cárpa'dosían myth orcs were the forth and last race when the Rain of Life bearing the spirit of the High Goddess Avá the Beautiful fell on Aér'aí'chán. The orcs emerged from the element of Fire and were therefore named Caoía'Eferís (Children of the Flame) by the elves.

Among the many myths in the Cárpa'dosía there was also found a secret chapter speaking about the true nature of the orcs. It is still a vivid subject of dispute among the scholars of NEW-SANTHALA, but also among the elves themselves if this chapter found shortly before the culmination of the THIRD SARVONIAN WAR in the MÉLOR'TERQUÁN, the Night of the Turning Shadow, is indeed fake or an original work of the AXHÁI, the elder elves. In this secret chapter it is written that the destiny of the world could only be fulfilled  through the Children of the Flame, that heavenly bliss will only return upon Aér'aí'chán when then hands of the races are befould with the blood of these Children of the Flame. The text is very mysterious, at some passages even unintelligible when describing the fate of the world as a whole, and in the same way it is nearly impossible to interpret the role of the orcs within this strange concept. The most notorious passage from this orcish chapter contains a reference to the place of EU'REOLL, the Tree of Life, where the races originated. It is written that orcish hordes from all over the world shall return to this place when their day has come, when the MELÓR'TERQUÁN, the Night of the Turning Shadow, is at its dawn and "the bright open eyes of the Dreamer finally face the darkness emanating from the two dark hollows of Her counterpart". In the years when the first assaults of orcs initiated SW III the latter passage was interpreted by astronomers as a reference to the star constellations of that time and as a prophecy that the apocalypse was imminent. Currently Santhalian scholars still try to date the apocalypse according to this secret chapter of the Cárpa'dosía about the orcish race.

Mode of Living/Habits. Orcs have a much smaller life span than most other races inhabiting Aér'ai'chán: It happens very seldom that an adult orc reaches the age of 60, most orcs die between the age of 40 and 50 trying their luck too much when hunting or when fighting other orcs. At the approx. age of 14 an orc can be accounted as an adult.
About this time these young Orcs are also becoming hunters and warriors the most vital part of an Orc community. Family bounds are nearkly unknown but there are rumors that females are treated like property. Even if they're true it is very unlikely that these habits can generalized because every tribe has his own traditions and way of life.

Orcs feast mainly on fresh, unroasted meat and are the only among the four main races which also allow cannibalism among their rows though mostly driven by the belief to gain the strength of a strong enemy or even family member. Usually this meant as a honor to the dead. In this context blood , red as fire, is seen as the essence of life and most commonly used in ceremonies and rituals.

Family, Society and Culture.
The clan structures of Orcish societies are rather confusing. The only way to gain respect among the clans is by being an outstanding warrior. In some tribes the weak and the old might be killed by their clanmembers when not able to fight in other tribes depending on their fame they become a honored council of Elder Orcs. Only few Orcs reach that agethough. Most die by illness, in clan wars or campaigns and raids against other races. While Orcs regenerate very fast and recover even from bad injuries with growing age many suffer from the terrible wounds they received in the conflicts of their youth dieing rather young compared to other races. Some scholars assume that the life expectancy of Orcs is even longer than that of humans as they're still pretty strong even in advancing age but most die by the age of 60 or even earlier.

In Northern Sarvonia the Orcs have a common tongue to communicate with each other the so-called KH'OM'CHR'OM. With thousands of dialects this language is often necessary even between related tribes
It consists of hard grunting sounds and hissing  sounding cruel and unforgiving to other races. It is as hard as the life in most Orcish societies.
Most clans have a meeting consisting of all warriors of the clan lead by one or several leaders and a council of elder Orcs. This meeting decides over peace and war, about matters everyday life as hunts and new houses and are the court for those that broke one of the few laws that exist in these communities, most of them are just being traditions that are accepted among a tribe over centuries.
Several clans might form a tribes either by having similar habits and living in the same regions or sharing some kind of loyality towards each other. These tribes are often referred to as clan federations. The best known and most feared of these clan federations are those of the Ashz-oc and Losh-oc. While clans are often only able to do raids and little skirmishes with as many as few hundred warriors in these federations several hundred clans exist that at certain times can band together under warlords or various leaders to wage war against their enemies.
These tribes then can form armies of several thousand warriors that are able to attack even Santharia and its cities and bring havoc to the lands of the peaceful races.

Beside the leading councils the shamans and priests are a major power as well in the societies. Not necessarily dedicated to one of the many gods the Orcs know and fear they still possess magical powers and use them to persuade the clans and leaders to follow their advice. Some of them believe to be in the favour of the gods, others to be blessed and others are outright swindlers trying to gain major influence on certain clans to strive for power.

It is always hard for leaders and shamans alike to keep the many rivalizing clans and families in line. And several otherwise rather successful wars by the Orcs failed because of riots, powerplays and disputes among the own troops.
This was also the case at the beginning of SW III when after the taking of CARMALAD in 292 b.S. an orcish clan war broke out which finally led to the withdrawal of various clans of the Ashz-Oc tribe and the defeat of the orcish hordes.

A few of the numerous orcish clans known in Sarvonian lands are

the RHOM'OC, located in the Heaths of Wilderon,
the OSTHER'OC, living at the gigantic peninsula of CAAEHL'HEROTH in north-west Sarvonia
the ASHZ-OC living at the Skeleton Coast and in the South Prominent mountains
the LOSH-OC living in the Hills of Oro

Ok, have a good read and tell me when I missed out something important!:)

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 2/21/02 7:27:46 pm
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2002, 12:20:00 »

What happend to the Losh-oc tribe?  Have you changed their names or what?  In Chapter eight of my story I have the Losh-oc already mentioned.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2002, 12:25:00 »

This is the old entry which lacks the tribes I invented. Currently it is only halfdone(can be seen because of a huge CUT HERE line!:) )

I catched a cold and was rather occupied so I couldn't finish this one....  

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2002, 12:50:00 »

Ok, Phew *wipes brow as he thinks of the fourteen drafts he went through for chapter eight and faints at the thought of another rewrite." :lol  

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2002, 12:25:00 »

So you are still working on this entry Koldar?  It is not ready for uploading?

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2002, 13:59:00 »

Sorry, haven't posted something at the end. If nobody detects any flaws or missing things it should be ready I guess. I think most  things concerning Orcs is tribe dependant anyway so I guess the entry is ready.

Btw: I adjusted the tribes names to follow all the same scheme now and I think I even can pronounce them! :lol    

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 2/24/02 2:13:11 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2002, 07:44:00 »

Well, I mainly noticed the cuts in the entry when putting it up. Hope however, that those things which were cut here will re-appear at the descriptions of single tribes. I personally would have prefered to keep the description of the main groups/occupations in the general entry, because compared to other cultures the orcs are a much more simple race and there wouldn't be great differences in this system at the various orcish tribes. Too many differences in orcish socities wouldn't reflect their nature as Children of the Flame in my point of view.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2002, 08:12:00 »

To me these social description seemed more fitting to certain tribes. I cut them because the Ashz-Oc and Losh-Oc won't share this social concepts.
And I'm wondering, chaotic societies and different traditions( = diversity) don't fit the "Children of the Flame"? I'm also against making them simple or something. Only because Orcs tend to be drawn to evil purposes more easily doesn't make them dumb, simpel or uniform... they would more tend to be the other way around.

Also, I guess you still understood the Ashz-Oc somewhat differently from what I've intended. I remember you once stating you don't want too many "good" Orcs around. Well, the only difference between a Losh-oc, an Ashz-oc and other Orcs is: A Losh-Oc kills other races because he thinks he has to, an Ashz-Oc kills other races because he thinks it is to his advantage and other Orcs would kill other races because they have some other reasons for it.

Their aggressiveness is their doom because Chaos and destruction is what Coór wants, at least I interpreted it this way.

Hope this sounds reasonable and not totally concepted against your plans...

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 2/24/02 2:13:56 pm
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]