Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Some more greenskin questions  (Read 1340 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 27 February 2002, 09:33:00 »

I'm currently thinking about these Orcs more and in my eyes Orcs need a decent(not advanced) civilization to grow in numbers that can endanger the other races. This is why I'm now rather unsure as you, Art, don't seem to want the Orcs have a decent civilization in general...
btw: This need for great numbers in population was the main reason I zipped some of the parts of the old entry, they seemed to contradict that idea(general cannibalism and such.)...

I just dislike the impression that something evil has to be dumb and plain. What I want are Orcs that are not dumb but aggressive by nature which makes them perfect for the plans of evil.

Here are also some other more clear questions and ideas concerning Orcs and Goblins:

What I was wondering is if an Ashz-oc would ride a pony? I guess so though not in war but as a sign of their status I would think the leaders would have something to ride on.

The main problem with Wargs is that they eat flesh, that is more difficult to find than grass and when hungry you can't be sure if the Orc eats the Warg or the Warg the Orc so their bounds would be more or less limited to the times of war when the Wargs can eat all the victims of the raids while the Orcs plunder the cities.
For the Losh-oc who are on total war all the time that is not much of a problem  but for the other tribes it would be...

My current idea about the two other tribes is that the Orcs living in the Heaths of Wilderon are complete nomads. If they've any animals and what animals they hunt I still don't know. Perhaps here a lasting partnership between wargs and Orc is easier when they always follow big herdes of cattle, deers...

The Orcs of Caael'heroth are more of a problem. The geography is in my opinion too diversive to support a decent amount of nomads so Orcs couldn't survive living without a greater degree of civilization. That would mean that they live in larger communities, speak cities.
Problem about this region is that nearly all cities lie at the coast and though this might be another twist making the Orcs different from other worlds I just can't imagine Orcs to be great fishermen or like the seas in general...

My idea was to have them live in the Caael mountains or Mount Osthen. The later would explain their current name better though I still have to discuss this with Drogo further.
I'd imagine this Orc tribe to be similar to Tolkien's Orcs that live in Moria and the whole mountain range(Nebelgebirge though I don't remember the English name).
If they live in the mountains or in the valleys I don't know though...

I'm also looking for a slightly different approach for the Nybelmarian Orcs(btw: has Aeruillin any Orc tribes?)

A last idea on Goblins is to put this subspecies of Orcs underground making them rivals to the dwarves to some degree and making them distinguishable from general Orcs.
It would also explain that they're smaller than Orcs and eventually even why they developed an own kingdom in Nybelmar...

*Phew*, I hope you can read through this general brainstorm but I need to get this straight before I can picture the additional tribes better...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2002, 19:08:00 »

I'm glad that someone is looking at the orcs indepth, as they are needed.  I agree with you that In Cael'hot something or other that they would need to be civilzed to some degree at least.  I would imagine orcs are similar to the humans, some tribes will be civilized and others not.  Why could there not be orc farmers?  Or orc artists?  True I don't think that it should be to the degree of other races, but I believe that those orcs near the DWP would be perhaps the most cunning and civilized orcs in the worl  For what truly is a greater threat, mindless bloodthirsty hordes, or amies of disciplined ruthless orcs?  The latter definately, and this would be needed to not only plan, but also carry out the invasion of the south.

As far as the goblins go, I agree with you a hundred percent.  They need to be a different culture, just like trolls or ogres do.  Also in Tolkiens world, goblins have all been underground.

Ponies?  Don't see why not, every other race uses them, in fact I'm working on a pony entry for Northern Sarvonia right now.  Once it's up, you should incorporate it.

Ors in Nyblemar:  I remember talking to you about some wild human tribes in the area.  Would it be possible for the orcs on that continent to have so intermingled with these barbarian tribes that orcs are basically gone, but there is this hybrid left.  This could also give you that more powerful source of chaos you were looking for.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2002, 12:47:00 »

On another note I recognized thgat the Heath of Wilderon is sliced on every map part, nowhere as a whole, and somehow I had the impression that one, tiny part of the whole map seems to miss completely on all part maps. Would it be possible to get a shot of the central region of Northern Sarvonia to get a better feel for the distances there?

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Winlok
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2002, 17:21:00 »

I am working on chapter four of Blood of the Demon, I'm currently finishing of the dragon slayer entry

Black Nights and Goblins get a long, and preferr to fight together, although both are not the shiniest coins in the fountain. Dragon Slayers and Orcs get along together, and are a bit more smarter than Black Nights and Goblins, although not much.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]