Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cyahllorhim * finished*  (Read 3729 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 09 May 2002, 00:44:00 »

* Okay, kids... lets knock these fellows out of the way....*

Overview: The Cyhallorhim are a waning tribe of Elves living on the wintry island continent of Cyhalloi. Known for their elaborate ice towers on the main continent, the Cyhallorhim have been driven from the south-east islands of  Cyhalloi by the Kasumarii.

Appearance: The Cyahllorhim are pale-skinned elves, slightly yellow. Their hair color ranges from ice-white to jet black, with various pigments of blue in between. The Style of their hair varies. They prefer to keep it short, though more noble females wear it long. It is quite stiff, and capable of shaping in various styles.( If you can think of it, chances are, a Cyhallorhim can do it.) A unique feature is their ears; they are long and extend beyond their head, roughly two spans in length. Their eyes are milk-white with only a small point for their pupil. Older elves have no sign of a pupil whatsoever. Their features are bleached-out and sharp.
The Cyhallorhim speak little, the blank-eyed stare seems to convey that little goes on inside their heads. However, the Cyhallorhim are quite sophisticated in building and hunting. They have a tendency to speak only Styrash, and they are quite un-fond of the territory beyond Fa'av'ca'lar; they find it too warm.

Coat of Arms: The Cyhallorhim have never had a serious war-skirmish, even with the Kasumarii. Anything that the Kasumarii try; the Cyhallorhim back off. They are not quite organized, and therefore have no Coat of Arms.

Territory The Cyhallorhim live on the continent of Cyhalloi. They have large ice towers that small clusters of elves live in; it defends from the Kasumarii as well as the elements.
The Cyhallorhim are not territorial, they just avoid one another and the Kasumarii. Their towers are the only place they defend with any heart, and they are quite tenacious about that.

People: The Cyhallorhim are master sculptors; the Ice that surrounds them is easily malleable by this tribe due to their natural prowess with Water magic. They use their Water magic as well as sophisticated methods to create their towers. They also fashion sharp swords and daggers of the purest ice.
They are quiet and contemplative, they rarely speak. When they do, their voices are hollow and cold, much like the air that blows through their home.

Housing: The Cyhallorhim fashion massive towers of ice that they live in. Outside, it seems like a slick stalagmite jutting out of the earth. Inside, there are many floors. The first floor is the court and meeting area, it is the largest room. Steps lead up to the second tier, where as many as five families live. It continues upward, to the final tier. The final tier houses the ruling family of the Tower. These towers usually stop at about 5 stories.
Each home has at most two rooms. There is the sleeping room, where the Cyhallorhim sleep by wrapping themselves in cloaks and blankets. The second room is a belonging room. All the weapons and belongings are kept there in small piles. It is particularly unorganized, but there seems to be few problems.

Clothing

The Cyhallorhim wear close fitting garments; woolen cloaks of varying lengths ( usuallly short to avoid tattering on the ice) and leggings that fit close against the body. Long, close-fitting sleeves are not uncommon and for some, a full body-suit of the close fitting garment is normal.

For the males a thick-fabric jerkin is worn over the close-fitting garments, and a second pair of gloves and long socks are not uncommon. They have quite large boots ( sometimes made of metals or thick layers of leather) with spikes in the soles for easier grip on the ice. Gauntlets are seen among most men. Men layer their clothing to keep themselves warm.

Females also wear the close-fitting clothing garments, and the jerkin is usually extended to skirt length. Women are less apt to wear the gauntlets, though it is seen. Boots are constructed smaller for the women. Women wear much longer gloves, sometimes beyond the elbow, and socks can extend beyond the knee. Women tend to wear less layers.

Royalty wear much the same garments, though they are more elaborate in cut and material.

Diet

The Cyhallorhim are decent hunters for what food they can gather. They hunt the sheep that roam the tundra, and the Caeh-fish is a tasty catch if they can snag one. They can also from time to time catch an elderly whale, as well as seals. Some plants are edible on the Cyhalloi plains, but most are bland.

Weapons

The Cyhallorhim are not capable of using a bow efficiently, as the long range weapon requires a free, un-clothed hand for use. Cyahllorhim risk frostbite if they pull off their gloves, and that makes any bow obsolete. They are also too far north to know the Crossbow, an invention of the Jhellerhim.
They do have use of spears, swords and clubs. Some have bare-hand fighting ability, augmenting their skills with special gloves and spiked knuckle guards. Regular functional swords are made of finely honed bone.

Ice Blades
These weapons include large swords with thin, precise blades and short-handled daggers made entirely of Ice. They are brittle, but their size ( a fore for the daggers and much as a ped in length for the swords) makes them menacing. However, becuase of their construction, these IceBlades are only functional in the cold stretches of Cyhalloi.

Clubs
A rather primitive weapon, these weapons are also constructed of ice. Some are made of wood, but they are not as heavy as the Ice Clubs.

Spikes
Thes are odd weapons. Made of ice, they are usually the sharp broken ends of stalagtites and stalagmites, collected by the wielder and thrown like darts at an enemy or prey. These weapons are easily replacable, and a Cyhallorhim travelling south can pay a smelter to make him metal reporductions of his Spikes.

Occupations
Every Cyhalorhim has a job, as their survival depends on relying on one another.

Hunters: These are the backbone of the tribe. They leave the Tower and hunt for food in packs of at least 10. When they return with a kill, the Reapers take over.

Reapers: These are usually women, about 5-10 in a Tower. They skin the kill, and then seperate the useful items from the useless, and then distribuite the items to their respective workers.

Toolers: These folks recieve the bone and sinew to make swords, daggers, needles, beads, string, buttons and other items for the Cyhallorhim. Gender is of no difference here, but most Toolers are between 20 and 60 years of age.

Clothiers: These workers create clothing using the skins, fur and hides of the kill, as well as recieve many items from the toolers. A single clothier will work on one garment at a time for a specific elf, i.e. If an elf needs a new cloak, then he will tell a clothier how he wants his cloak made, and when the skins come in, the Clothier will make him his cloak. These tend to be the eldest elves.

Fooders: These are the elves that prepare the flesh of the kill. They may cook the meat right away, or preserve it in ice. They will use the fat to create gristle-fire to cook the meat, and distribuite the meat. Hunters tend to get the most meat, though the fooders thry to give everyone equal amounts.

Royalty: Unlike most Monarchies, the Royalty is a single family picked by the Tower to lead. Their basic function is to lead the tribe in its choices.  They live at the top of the toiwer and observe. They reside over marriages and funerals, as well as weapon production and meat distribution.

Government
The Cyhallorhim is not a united front, as each Tower rules itself and no other. However each tower has an elected Royalty. Though it is not really a royalty, they prefer that word. The Royalty lives at the top of the tower,  and controls the things that only an overseer could see and control. Relations with other Towers, production, and basic command. Despite the seeming slave-like atmosphere, the Cyahllorhim seem very content with their government.

Production/Trade

Being quite far from any real trading possibilities, the Cyhallorhim are quite independent. Most of their items come from their own continent. Some of their toolings (buttons beads and wnatnot) are prized by more southern peoples, but they are a rarity. Most would asume these works to be ancient Elven items than Cyhallorhim ware.

Natural Resources

The Metals that the Cyhallorhim find on Cyhalloi tend to be quite impure and pliable, and therefore can be beaten into a shape rather than smithed.  Animals hunted by the Cyahllorhim are quite fatty, and some Cyahllorhim make candles. But the idea of sustaining fire is a touchy concept to those that live in ice houses. The bone of their kills can be easily manipulated by the Cyhallorhim, and they can be traded; when someone comes along willing to trade. Furs of their quarry are quite valuable, as it sustains their life by keeping the elves warm.

Festivals

The Day of the Sun: As the Cyhallorhim live quite north, there is a certain time during the year when the sun is arisen for a full day. This day is spent feasting and basking in the sun. The elves shed most of their clothes for this festival, as it gets quite warm. This point of the festival lasts one day, but the Sun stays risen for about a week before and after the festival before things get back to Normal.

The Day of Darkness This is much like the Day of the Sun. There is a time during the year when the sun does not rise. This day is spent by staying inside their ice towers, praying for the sun to rise. Food is hoarded and fires are kept high, despite  the risk of melting the tower. The darkness actually lasts for a week before and after the Festival.

History

11880 b.S. The tribe soon to be know as the Cyhallorhim leave  F'v'cl'r as internal struggles begin tearing it apart. They travel north, as most of the tribes seemed to be heading southward. They become nomadic, living in tents and their features becoming more and more unique from other elves.

11046 b.S. The tribe reaches the eastern edge of Northern Sarvonia. They can barely see the continent of Cyhalloi, and decide to settle there for the time being.

10552 b.S. The ocean between Northern Sarvonia and Cyhalloi freezes over, enough for the Cyahllorhim to attempt the crossing. They succeed before the spring thaw.

9675 b.S. Records seem to drop off after this point, as the Cyhallorhim seem to become more primitive; due to either inbreeding or lack of communication with other races.

*didn't develop the history too much, as I didn't want to interfere with others' histories. Should I put on more? suggestions please...*

Viresse Sheelala

*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Viresse  at: 5/20/02 4:45:26 am
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2002, 05:10:00 »

From blue to yellowish skin? Uhh, that's a change! Like the desc, makes them different without changing their elven features. What is there general alignment, btw?

Somewhere Art posted that the farther north you go the more Cor's influence affects the people though it might seem slightly odd and linear when we generalize that too much.

The housing sounds interesting though not something you can build with your hands. Do they have special ice magic or something?

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Avis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2002, 12:45:00 »

although they could use magic I reckon it would be possible using your hands. If they were to get chunks of ice and build a tower using chisels to sculpt it and then they poured water down from the top wouldn't it freeze in the gaps making it solid. I'm sure they do something similair in Norway or somewhere where they build an ice hotel during the winter months and replace it each year but I'm not quite sure how they do it or how much they cheat.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2002, 15:54:00 »

As far as I know (which is not much, you know) they have only one floor. That makes things a lot easier as the static is nor that important... Was just a thought, that with Ice magic.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2002, 17:17:00 »

ah... Ice magic means having to deal with Xarl and Tarq. Maybe They could focun on WATER magic, the temperatire of the are making it ICE. Mm. I also like Avis' idea, I wanted these elves to be kind of primitive; as they are seperated from most of Santharian society. And I came with yellow through a coloring exercise. Yellowish skin ( like lemon-yellow, not golden yellow) combined with blue garments makes them quite ghostly-looking.

Viresse Sheelala

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2002, 17:35:00 »

everyone afraid of Tarq and XArl? Oh my! Well, ice magic = water magic + only rigid parts of water.
Only meant that they know much about such spells and might have  anatural feel for this "element".

Xarl lazyweary
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2002, 20:10:00 »

Ermm... The Kasumarii aren't on the main continent. They're only on one of the islands to the extreme southwest of Cyhalloi. They don't care about anywhere else either... but a few of their teenagish rebels might occasionally try to join.
And the Kasumarii never turn down good cannon fodder.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2002, 00:25:00 »

well, GOOD then Xarl. The Island is THEIRS. And they're kind of... weird. I want them to be kind of like... hm. Like ghosts, I guess. They loom around all quiet, and when they talk it's creepy. I'm trying to think of something comparable to them...
arg, cannot think of anything.

As for alignment, I was thinking true Neutral. That's usually the scariest kind of alignment; those aligned this way are kind of un-predictable. I want them to think in their best interests; as they live in a harsh environment with some psycho folk to the south-east.

I included their prowess with water magic. I hope that isn't too off, and I'm thinking of them only focusing on Ava and Co'or as deities. Simple, easy to maintain.

Anyway, I'll edit what I have now. Finals are coming, so I may not be able to finish them up until maybe Friday. NEXT friday. So... yeah. I'll keep checking in and seeing what people say to what I have.

Viresse Sheelala

Edited by: Viresse  at: 5/9/02 7:33:39 am
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2002, 02:35:00 »

er....I think Cyoilie (or however you spell it) is a continent rather than an island.....

Brownie Expert

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2002, 09:30:00 »

really? I thought it was a big island thing, kinda like australia. I'll have to check.

Viresse Sheelala

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2002, 11:39:00 »

Well, Australia is also a continent. I guess Cyhalloi won't be very large, but also not too small. Approx. half the size of Northern Sarvonia, I'd say.

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2002, 21:14:00 »

oh ho! So it's big... Quite enough room for the Kasumarii and the Cyhallorhim. Which I think would be kind of neat if they got in skirmishes from time to time... but if Xarl doesn't want to... * giggles*

Viresse Sheelala

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2002, 18:15:00 »

Sorry, guys.... I'm getting a little stalled, as RL has given me a big ugly dose of Life and I kinda choked on it.

I may not get around to finishing until maybe NEXT Friday...as I have a matter to attend to this week that is VERY important.

Viresse Sheelala

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2002, 20:46:00 »

*settles into her chair * let's try this now... see if I can do it...

Viresse Sheelala

jdlws

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2002, 18:12:00 »

As i was making my character in this context, I made a few assumptions which may prove usefull.

Given no real facts about the tribe I ASSUMED (ooooops) that they would be partially migratory as is usually required of peoples living in a hostile environment. Living the summer in their clan's ice castle near the coast and living richly on the migration patterns of elk, moose, caribou et. and the seals, fish etc. in the sea. In the fall as the edge of the ice sheet moves away and the herd animals migrate south they have to abandon the castle and spread out along the coast to stay in range of the sea. Building strings of family houses out till the turn of the seasons when they must retreat house by house back toward the castle. In late spring when the family groups (20 to 30 strong) have returned, the clan (1,000 or so) is again in contact with the other clans and trade, spouse seeking and celebrations are in order.
I do think that I have overassumed a little.  

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]