Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Faburi (a northen cyhalloiian tribe)  (Read 4481 times)
Avis

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 06 June 2002, 11:09:00 »

Hope this is okay (if not I'm sure you'll tell me :)  )

Overview
The faburi are human inhabitants of Cyhalloi who live the furthest north of any human tribe. Their name means those who live in the bu (Ice desert) They are a hard people who, despite their strength and adaptions to the environment, still find it hard to survive and thus have a no nonsense attitude to life. Survival is the centre of their lives and they are extremely proud of their ability to survive in the far north. Where they live it is too cold for plants to grow however the sea is swarming with life and it is the sea that provides them with the food and other essentials for life.

Appearance
The faburi are a huge race, normally reaching a fore over two peds. They are very muscular and although they are pale skinned they look darker because of the hair that covers all of their bodies. Apart from the increased size, muscles and hair the faburi look just like other humans.

Coat of Arms
The faburi are a very fragmented race, divided up into tribes and as such do not have one coat of arms.

Territory
The faburi live on the northern most island of the continent of Cyhalloi along the coastline.

People
The faburi are probably the only people of any race who could survive as far north in the region they call the bu. This ability to survive is very important to them and they are very proud of it. Before a boy can call himself a man, he must spend a week on his own in the bu taking with him only a bottle of oil and his spears and knife. This is a very difficult task and many boys die during it but it does ensure that those who do pass are strong enough to serve the community well.

There is a strong sense of community among the faburi and everyone works together to make sure that the whole survives. If they didn’t it would be very unlikely that they would have survived as long as they have. This does not mean that they tolerate people who cannot work and these will either be killed in knife fights or retake the coming of age ritual. There is a hierarchical structure among the Faburi and people rise up it either through mutual consent or by defeating those above them in knife fights.

Housing
The faburi live in large communities called heas. The hea is a hollowed out network of caverns in the permanent ice with most walls lined with animal furs. There are two large rooms in every hea, one very near the surface where the women strip the animals to the bone and make use of everything on them. The second chamber is the deepest chamber in the hea and is the centre of the community. All meals are eaten communally in here, and it contains stores of all the hea’s wealth, as well as being where all meetingas are held. On the corridors between these chambers are located the sleeping quarters of all the inhabitants, consisting of a single room separated from the world by an animal skin.

When traveling out of the hea they will sleep by digging a small trench in the snow and sleeping in it wrapped up in a blanket made of animal skin.

Clothing
All faburi dress alike, covered from head to toe in animal skins. The only reason they wear clothes is to stay warm and be camouflaged in the snow. Animal skins will be sewn together using furry whale hair and bone needles to create trouser and tops. Over this will be thrown more layers of animal skin, normally totaling 3 in all held on by rope. They will even cover their heads in two layers of animal skin when outside the hea. faburi never take their clothes off, even in bed, except when married. The outer layer is always white polar bear fur.

Food
The Faburi eat all of the parts of polar bears, whales and seals, including large amounts of fat and other things other races in better circumstances would never eat. In fact the only thing they don't eat is polar bear liver.

Weapons
The faburi hunt either using throwing javelins or stronger spears. The spears are also used when fighting large predators like polar bears. The shaft of the spears will be made of bone, whilst the tip is either bone as well (on javelins) or sharpened stone. For fighting other humans a knife is used, and this will be made entirely of bone.

Occupations
All men among the faburi are hunters and all women are involved in either cooking, clothes making, tool making or extracting oil. There are two types of hunter, seal hunters or whale hunters. Most faburi can do both as whale hunting is a lot harder only the strongest are involved in this type of hunt. When the hunters return the women set to work in the first cavern of the hea and turn every bit of the animals into useful products.

Seal Hunters
Depending on the season and thus the size of the ice shelves the hunters can spend a day in summer, or two or three in winter to reach the seals hunting and breeding ground. The hunters take with them their spears as well as large quantities of oil to keep them warm. When they get there the hunters creep up on the seals and then jump out, hurling their javelins at the seals and killing as many as possible. At the end of the day the seals are placed in large nets and dragged back to the hea over several days. The kill attracts polar bears which the hunters quickly dispatch with their spears and add to the catch,

Whale Hunters
Like Seal hunters the whale hunters can take several days to reach their hunting grounds and they are equipped the same, except the whale hunters have rope attached to the inside of the bone that forms the javelin. The Whale hunters will reach a spot where they are a few peds above sea level and then wait for a whale to arrive. Some hunters will then hurl their javelins at the whales and then they and one or two others will hold on to the rope and keep the whale where it is. The javelins hurt the whale but do not kill it as whale’s are very difficult to kill. If the whale is two strong, it will swim away and if the hunter are not quick enough drag them into the water. This is disastrous as even if they reached shore the wet and cold would kill them. If they have been successful then one member of the group will jump down on to the whales back and put all of his weight on his spear forcing it into the whale’s brain, killing it. This is the most dangerous part of the operation as landing in the water will result in death. The whale will then be dragged onto land and put in a net to be taken to the hea much like with seals.

People work till they die, if they are injured and cannot hunt anymore they will normally retake the coming of age ritual and die in the process. If they don’t, they will normally be challenged to a knife fight and killed, givine a youndg tribe member the chance of advancing up the social scale.

Government
The rule of the tribe falls to the most respected individual in the group. He will remain in total control, until either he dies or loses to a rival in a knife fight. The leader still takes part in hunting and other activities, but he has total control over any tribal matters and presides over marriages.

Production/Trade
Most items are constructed from animal bones, like knives or the fire bowls in which the faburi pour oil and then set alight for heat. The oils themselves take a while to extract and purify but it is not a difficult task for the faburi. Rope (which is vital for whale hunting) and netting are all made from furry whale hair woven together. faburi normally use animal skin for clothes and to line the walls of the hea. These are the only products the faburi make and are all they need for their survival.

Natural Resources
The faburi’s only natural resources are stone, ice, and the remains of what animals they kill. Ice and snow is abundant all around them, but they only use it to drink. They often find stone suspended in the ice and these shards of flint often go into spear heads. The source of most of their resources however are seals, polar bears, furry and other types of whales. The animals they hunt are the main source of food for the people as well as bone although specific creatures do have other uses. Furry whales have thick coarse hair which can be used in clothing as well as to make rope and netting. Another source of clothing is polar bear fur. The Caefan whale’s horn is highly prized, and is normally awarded to the person who delivered the killer blow. The horn is either attached to a spear shaft or used as a weapon on its own and is considered very prestigious. Seals and whales also supply oils, which burn well to supply the heat the faburi need.

Holidays, Festivals and Observances
The faburi are a very practical people and because of the harsh environment if they stopped their work for even a single day they would probably die so they have no holidays as such.

Edited by: Avis at: 6/5/02 7:08:02 pm
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2002, 18:24:00 »

Well, we have the whales to support these people - although Furry Whales is a new one on me...

but no one has done seals or polar bears yet.  Guess we will need those entries...and we are pretty short on any arctic animals, come to think of it.  Should have ptarmigans or northern partridge, and small mammals like weasels or groundhogs... and probably there would be wolves, too.

(goes away rolling her eyes in anticipation of all the work for the Bestiary)  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Avis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2002, 02:15:00 »

Yeah I know. I made up Furry Whales as they needed some source of rope and it was the best I could come up with. I will do a bestiary entry on some of those creatures soon.

I thought of them living too far north for plants to grow at all so there only source of food was the sea (the colder the sea is the more life in it) but I plan to do a set of nomads who live further south where the land does support some creatures (like Snow Hares) which I guess I'll have to do entries on sometime.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2002, 16:24:00 »

well, I assumed when I made the Cyhallrhim that even up north there are some Iceless areas known as tundra. Animals can just barely sustain themselves with grasses from the near-barren fields, so maybe you could make rope from grasses * hemp?*

Also, the Inuit make cord from the sinew ( tendoins that hold muscle to bone) of animals, it's ususally quite strong and doesn't fray.

If you're really adamnat about the whales, though, know that the whales that have Baleen ( usually the large ones that eat krill and plankton), Baleen is actually hair, so perhaps that can be fashioned into rope as well.

Sorry to butt in and all, but I guess I watch too much Discovery Channel.

Viresse Sheelala

*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2002, 16:37:00 »

I'd suggest to take the Cyhalloi map and color it after the tribes location to get an overview about white spots and maybe find some relations and so on.

I can currently not figure out where's what and why.  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2002, 16:52:00 »

good point. I'd like to see that as well, for I have no decent coloring program to do so. perhaps I will pull out my dandy Crayons and print out a copy of Cyhalloi and color it for y'all.

Viresse Sheelala

Avis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2002, 04:49:00 »

I was thinking that as Cyhalloi is approximately twice the size of Santharia there would be lots of different climates and though there would be areas of tundra in the southern regions I had thought of placing this tribe right up north where it was permanent ice and that the only thing to support life would be the sea.

I was thinking of doing another tribe further south in the tundra regions.

Edited by: Avis at: 6/7/02 12:00:10 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2002, 13:55:00 »

Well, you have to Remeber that there is already the Kasumarii, they take the south-east islands. The Cyhallorhim take most of the west and their islands. I guess further south you could have the Faburi, if you don't mind run -ins with grunty ghosty elves and massacarres by the Kasumarii.

And up north would be REALLY weird. No one purposely lives in Ice, you know. Unless you think of Siberia, that's kind of okay, but still low in numbers.

I personally think Cyhalloi is getting crowded for being a desolate wasteland. Maybe just the Faburi, and a small out-branch of their bretheren up north.

Viresse Sheelala

Avis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2002, 04:33:00 »

They do already live in the far north.The reasons could be one of many.
1)The elves drove them into the north.
2)They were driven after the destruction of Fa'va'alcar (probably misspeled)
3)More fish live in the sea in colder i.e. more northern areas as there is more oxygen in the water.
4)If these don't fit I'll come up with another.

About getting overinhabited there are not many of this tribe and they only live on the coast. If you really don't like them just say and I'll delete them.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2002, 12:33:00 »

I guess we've already discussed this somewhere else that Cyhalloi is  a smaller continent, approx. half the size of Northern Sarvonia. And there will only be a few tribes there.

And yes, it would be nice to have a rough guideline where you want ice and where not etc. (a very rough sketch would be enough) I suggested already somewhere else that some map details are necessary if you want to develop this part further, so please take the map and place mountains, towns etc. where you think they should be (and mark the territory of the tribes you have in mind), then I can make a Santharian map from it sooner or later.

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2002, 00:55:00 »

right... Lemme go grab a map and I'll do that right now...

Viresse Sheelala

Avis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2002, 13:23:00 »

Ummm. I did these before I read Viresse's reply so if you want ignore them and leave it to Viresse. They really aren't very good as A they were done pretty fast and B my computer wouldn't do colour for some strange reason.

Wrote that than asked: How do you post pictures? Should I e-mail them to Artimidor?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2002, 13:36:00 »

You can only post picture if you can upload it to webspace first, see "Use EzCodes" on the left of the answer textbox how to link to images.

If you don't have websapce, just mail the pic to me and I'll put it up.

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]