Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gnomes Race entry  (Read 1874 times)
Avis

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 14 June 2002, 06:05:00 »

I think this is ok to go in under Gnomes for the race entry:

The exact derivation of this race cannot be decided exactly. Very often gnomes are compared with dwarves or even seen as a sub-species of the dwarven race, but indeed this assumption must be rejected. Gnomes in fact are smaller than dwarves, about half a human foot less. They also don't have the stamina, nor the strength of the dwarven race, but exceed them in dexterity and agility (although they are no real match for a moderately trained elf). However, this, and the fact that many of gnomish kin do posses a love for material wealth, often is the cause that gnomes are connected with thievery and burglary. This reputation is definetely unfounded of the independent gnomes but it is unfortunately true of many gnomes living among humans.

Gnomes are renowned for there skills at alchemy, glass production and medicine, due to there ability with chemicals and their use of their dextrous hands and good eyesight to measure minute quantities. As such they have made a large amount of money trading and producing these chemicals for other people as well as themselves and it is not uncommon to see incredibly wealthy gnomes walking around in the towns of Santharia.

Appearance. A Gnome's size is ranging from slightly less than a ped all the way through to one and a half peds. However, the bigger sizes are rare and are seen as freaks by some of their race. Gnomes have long fingers that virtually never tremble and as such are brilliant for their jobs as alchemists. They have normal sized eyes but their eyesight is in fact excellent and they can see very small things pretty well. Their skin tone is very pale and they are not very muscular (but as in every race there are some body-building exceptions). Gnomes tend not to be exceedingly fat, most young gnomes are relatively thin, but as they get older most of them do put on weight. Although they do start off with hair (the current fashion is to have it cut very short) by middle age they tend to be bald although many do maintain beards (again the current fashion is short). Hair is often black, although occassionly there will be a dark brown haired Gnome. Females never have beards but most lose there hair by middle age. They wear their hair longer than the men, although the loss of hair is not considered to detract too much from their looks (at least by other gnomes).  

Cosmological Origin. The Gnomes are one of the minor races, believed by the elves to have originated when the rain of life fell on mixtures of the elements. What mixture produced the gnomes is unclear, although the Gnorians believe that they are a combination of all the elements although they do not agree with the standard Elvish interpretation of the Rain of Life and Gods.
Most Gnomish tribe have their own interpretation of their origins. The most common one is the one held by the Gnorians and most Gnomes living in human cities which is that in the beginning all that existed was the four elements and these came together to form Sorren and the races, the Gnomes being a mixture of all four elements.

Mode of Living/Habits. Gnomes are all very curious and enjoy finding things out. In most cases this curiosity is channelled into chemistry as they view this as the ultimate science, the manipulation of the elements to form new things. The reason most believe that they channel themselves inward to chemistry rather than exploration is that they place great importance on quality of life and all aim to live in the greatest comfort possible.

Gnomes can easily live for 200 years. The lengthened life span does mean that they are less reluctant to die than Humans but death still holds fear for them and they do not fade away easily like the Elves do.

Beleifs. The majority of gnomes beleive that the whole world is constructed from the four elements and everything on the planet ( is that an acceptable word for Sorren) is made of combinations of these elements. They are atheists in the sense that they do not beleive in a force or god who tied these elements together in different ways but they do have an ultimate aims based on this idea. This is being able to create whatever they want from the four elements in different ratios without using anything else. They have not made any significant achievements in the direction of this goal and some say that it is impossible while others say that they must try harder.

Family, Society and Culture. Gnomes have a very strong sense of community and live in small closed communities, in the case of the Gnorians there own small villages but the Gnomes living among humans also tend to congregate into small groups who live close together. The leader of a group of Gnomes is normally the one who is best at chemistry and not chosen for anyother reason so they are often led by apathetic rulers. Although they are very community orientated they are normally willing if they can to help others who need and deserve it.

There are four Gnomish tribes currently known about:

•        The Gnorians (Gnomes who live along the Eastern Santharian coast and the most numerous of the independent gnomes)
•        The Gremm (A reclusive tribe that lives with the Elves in the Calmarios forest)
•        The Black Gnomes (A Northern Sarvonian tribe)
•        The Daran (The Gnomes who live among humans)

Edited by: Avis at: 6/15/02 7:58:21 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2002, 15:18:00 »

Ok, just a question for organisation, Avis: You now moved some gnomish things to the tribes entries etc. Question: Did you change anything at the paragraphs which were already on the site or did you only move them? This is important for me, because if you have changed various things within the paragraphs and don't know what I'd have to read through it all again and re-do all links. Just let me know...

BTW: We haven't set up the final races scheme, but it is good that you took the existing one in order to do the races entry. I will probably change "Cosmological Origin" to simply "Origins" and move it to the end of the entry. What would be still good to have (and what we should add sooner or later to other races entries) is a seperate section on "Beliefs". Judy also made a seperate "Diet" section at the dwarves, so maybe this makes sense as well in the main races entry. If you could add these two things to the races entry we have it the same way as we have it at the Dwarves and we'll then define this scheme as the new Races scheme, ok?

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2002, 00:56:00 »

This reads quite clear; I appreciate that. I can tell now that the Gnomes are a different tribe than any we have here, which is good.

Arti makes points that should be taken into consideration. I would like to see a bit more in the Appearance section; namely what are they known to wear in terms of garments and colors.

Considering that you have decided that Gnomes do not worship the same as the other Races of Sorren, you'll  eventually have to do an entry on their methods of worship. Just want to point that out.  I love the idea that their idea of creation trickles into their method of work; They were creatued through a mixture of the Elements and through mixing of the Elements they live.

A high-caliber entry, just fix what's been asked, maybe read it out lound to hear for mistakes and a run through the spell check.

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Avis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2002, 02:26:00 »

No paragraphs have been changed but some have been deleted and many have been moved. On including diet and clothing there is a section on that in the tribe entries and some tribes will eat differently than others. For the beleifs well that is also tribe specific really but I will do an entry on Gnorian beleifs and you can put it where you want.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2002, 12:10:00 »

Ok, I've read and prepared the races entry and the tribes, and everything's ok, now the only ones which are missing are the Gremms. I propose to wait a bit till Drogo is fully back at the boards, as he is the master of the north and sure can comment on them where to put them etc.

Only thing we lack a bit is indeed a paragraph or two about gnomish Beliefs in the races entry. The Origins are explained, but what would be interesting if belief plays any role at all in gnomish life: Are the gnomes in fact atheists? Concentrating only on what they see? Or do they believe in an unseen force behind all things, which arranged the elements etc.? And how does this belief affect their lives?

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Avis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2002, 12:52:00 »

Ok I will add a paragraph on how their beleifs affect them but the Gremm are not located in Northern Sarvania but in fact in the Calmarios forest. I'll put up their entry soon as it is almost complete on my hard drive. The Black Gnomes however I would like to put in Northern Sarvonia so I will wait for Drogo for these.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2002, 13:09:00 »

Maybe a different name then Black Gnomes? Why does everything evil/chaotic has a black/dark in front of their name?
Just think some more original term would fit better.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Avis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2002, 03:40:00 »

I do think it sounds a bit stupid (especially as their not going to be evil as such) but I cannot currently think of a better one. Maybe I'll change it later when I' ve thought about their entry more.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]