Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Avennorians (Here Capher)  (Read 17002 times)
Feanor the Grey

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 06 August 2002, 22:11:00 »

Ok, this is our first step.

First, we need a zoomed version of the Santharian map on the region of Avennoria, especially the province of Mantria where the Avennorians are mostly.

Second, we need a little hand from our Worldbuilding collegues to tell us what are the resources that are available in this region. ESPECIALLY the unknown resources to people living them.

Third, fill in the blanks

Edited by: Feanor the Grey at: 8/14/02 4:55:50 pm
Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2002, 22:34:00 »

(This message was left blank)

Edited by: Feanor the Grey at: 8/14/02 4:54:32 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2002, 23:23:00 »

Hey. A Culture Builder?
Is that a Program?
I don't want you using Programs to make a Tribe.
That's taking all the work out of doing it. It's as if you're not even making it.
I don't want you to use the Culture Builder.
Okay?
That's not what Santharia's about.
Okay?
Okay?
So I don't want to see it.

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2002, 04:59:00 »

Vireese, before there is a huge debate over this culture builder between yourself and Feanor.  I would like for you to understand that this is just an experiment to see if this would work.  Feanor is having difficulties with Chrondra, a town of the Avennorian's and has suggested this "cb" as a way for him to help him.

It seems he has some experience in this matter as he has designed other worlds using this "cb"   So for the sake of non-argument here I have agreed to allow him to use the Avennorian's as his experiment.  Who knows?  It may enrich the details and entry.  Or it may be a dismal flop?  But I think it should at least be given a chance.  Ok?

Feanor- I believe there is a map showing the area of the Avennorian's on the site,  I also believe there is a resource map, at least I think there was one being created at the time I left, I do not know whether it was finished.

Capher.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2002, 11:26:00 »

I understand Viresse, but if you followedt he discussion in the Maps and Places about Chrondra, you wouldn't have said that. We are using the CB to make out the Avennorians, not necessarily to use it as the official format SD will use you know.

Once we finish the entire culture with the CB, there is a big chance that we incorporate our information in the SD Format. So, no big changes here Viresse, the only thing is that it will add much more colour and details about the Avennorians and maybe other cultures too if the SD team finds this very interesting. :)

Don't worry, before the CB destroys any cultures, I think SD will destroy itself, meaning that's it's totally impossible to destroy something with it,well, not as long as you are working with the creator of the place anyways, like Capher for the Avennorians.

So this resumes what has been already said in the maps and places thread of this forum in the Chrondra topic. Hope it reassures you Viresse. Listen, I am an experienced world builder here, I know what is good for a world and what is bad, and trust me, you really need this to detail and make your work look even more concrete and pertinent in the end. :)

Capher, you have any ideas what I've missed about the resources? And we would need a hand on those hidden assets and neighboring assets. Who might know such a thing?

Also, I'll check out a bit the maps on SD site in case there was a better detailed map of the region. :)  

"The world is big, who knows what is possible and what is hidden in these vast lands."

Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2002, 13:57:00 »

I'll wait another day for people to post ideas and comments and go to the next step.

I've edited the description a bit, adde stuff sinceI informed myself a bit and found a few new things. So if anyone has any objections about the info or anything more to add, please tell. :)  

"The world is big, who knows what is possible and what is hidden in these vast lands."

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2002, 15:13:00 »

* sits real quiet.*

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2002, 15:37:00 »

Yup, we've had a little discussion in the Places Chrondra thread, so we'll see... Thanx for your concerns:)

Well, as for the zoomed map: Just grab the Santharian one and enlarge it extremely (you should be able to do that with any painting program) and cut out your part. Doesn't look pretty, but it should only serve as a sketch where to place which village, resources etc. Propose to put more detailed places names on such a rough map, and resources maybe on another.

Well, you write: "No one knows of these veins, not even the dwarves." This is a nice God position, but you should write the entries as if a Santharian (living in this land) describes it. Just try to avoid similar things. You can suppose however that there are still veins, but you can't know if you're a Santharian.

Hope Thuja can provide some information on what ore can be found in the Mithral. Guess we said gold sometime in the southern Mithral as she wanted to write a story here if I'm not wrong.

Rest looks nice from the first glance, maybe adjacent tribemasters can put in their two sans here as well:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2002, 16:51:00 »

All mining in the Mithral Mountains done by the dwarves.  Since you are doing this and Artimidor has asked there is gold in the southern part of the mountains.  It is mined by the residents of Tyr Ethran.  The two northern enclaves would find some mithril, but very rarely, and silver. All would have other metals in varying amounts.  Exactly what, Bard Judith would know.

There is no coal and no petroleum.  That also means no diamonds.  Other precious or semi-precious stone have not been worked out yet.  That is something Bard Judith was trying to figure out along with other trade items.

Dwarves are excellent miner and would not need magic to get to any metal or to extract said metals.  That is what they do and are the sole miners in these mountains. Most found metals are used for trade.

If you read the the description on the Mithral Mountains you would see there are no isolated stands of trees.  If you are thinking of a certain kind of wood then most likely you will need to invent it and put it in your isolated area.

It hasn't been fully detailed yet but Marcogg has well developed trade routes extending in all directions.  Most trade goods would be coming in by the many trade routes, both by land and the rivers to them.  Most things would be available even if some would be very expensive.  There are grains, fruit and fish near Marcogg that would used as trade items.  There are water wheel mills along Vildegg Bend for making flour and what not.  Also the Nekoma Valley is covered in grasses and would be a good place for herds of cattle and what not.  But that still needs to be decided.

That is just a few things to think about.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2002, 07:47:00 »

*Blinks* Thuja, I forgot all about Marcogg and what you had done there.  Forgive me please.  And the information on the Mithril mountains I did not know.  Thank you for providing it.

I guess Feanor you really should search the site for all relevant information.  

Capher.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2002, 12:07:00 »

Well, petrollium, coal and diamond are pretty easy to figure out, just check out the most ancient parts of the world and verify if they had life on them since the beginning and if they had large forests, etc. This would solve the petrollium/coal/diamond prob. :)  

Also, dwarvees are very good miners like in every other fantasy world where there are dwarves, but as good as they might be they are only mortals and do not have the power of omniscience, so they do not know the location and existance of every metal veins every where, they might know what is in their mines and surrounding it, but not throughout the land. Sorry, but it's true.

Also, I've edited the post above so it would suit your ideas of the region as well as adding the missing data you mentioned all of you. :)  

And we are doing the descendants of the Avennorians here, the Manthrians or people from Manthria, not the dwarves. :)  

Edited by: Feanor the Grey at: 8/7/02 7:24:36 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2002, 15:24:00 »

Once again: Sentences like "No one knows of these veins, not even the dwarves" should not be in the final entry!

Also don't forget that there exist more detailed maps of the region, which Bard Judith has done in preparation for the MUD, see Nekoma Valley and Adanian Seacoast.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2002, 17:21:00 »

I'm with Viresse on this, I must say. Yea yea, you already discussed it, but that doesn't mean others can't still have their say. There simply isn't imagination in using a program. If your having troubles with an entry the answer isn't 'use a program', it's sit and think a bit.

If Feanor can't handle designing towns or cultures without using a program maybe he should find something easier. This just seems like he's using the chance to try and make Santharia more like his world. I'm sure he'll deny it, yea. He said it'd probably go into the SD format anyway. But you never know.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2002, 22:12:00 »

Tarq: First of all, it's not a program, so don't comment on things you don't know and didn't follow, and second, what the heck is the prupose of your post? It doesn't give us anything, no ideas, no new things to add, nothing, just whining and agreeing with someone else. and read the entire topic before saying something!

We don't need that kind of post and I'm pretty sure that we don't want that here. If you can't help, save forum space and post elsewhere please.

No offense, but if you wanna help, try something a bit more creative and helpful.

Artimidor: What do you mean it can't be like that? Ok, maybe for the player version it's understandable, but for the gm's? I don't mind, but its fact and truth, not myths and legends here. If there are resources there, there are, if there is none, there is none, no? Of course someone could add some magically, but that's something else. It's ok though, it's only to build the culture and has nothing to do really with the region itself.

So whether there are dwarves or not, doesn't matter, we're doing the Manthrian, the descendants of the Avennorians here. So this is only an aid or guide to build the culture, we're not describing the area, just taking the things that are already there, no invention or anything new here.

Subsitance pattern following this post.

Edited by: Feanor the Grey at: 8/8/02 5:16:47 am
Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2002, 22:27:00 »

(This message was left blank)

Edited by: Feanor the Grey at: 8/14/02 4:55:23 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent