Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Erpheronians  (Read 2816 times)
Anaea the Marked

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 13 February 2003, 10:06:00 »

okay i had a day off today and decided to take a break from my classwork- hold the applause...

what you see here is my working draft for the tribe- i'm filling in information and expanding ideas as i go along. most of what you see is a basic jotting down of information, but some (like the oeverview and a few others) are almost ready to rock and roll. don't worry Vir- i'll let you know when i'm completely done! ;)  so be sure to check this space of developements in the hopefully near future.  

just wanted to let the lot of you that i'm not completely slacking off! :lol  

As usual any and all suggestions are more then welcomed. if you think i've missed something in my (however) brief notes, give us a yell and i'll include it- but keep inmind- its a work in progress.

----------------------------

Overview       

It is written that Knowledge is a well that has no bottom, and that Lore is a story sea without a farther shore. When the night everlasting marches beneath the gates and the calls of the dark penetrate walls of stone and bone alike- only then shall you know what I speak of. For Legend lives not there, but in the infinite souls of men. Carried over generations and cataclysms, with an undeniable flame of pride and glory that will never succumb to the black of the dark, Legend lives on. Thriving in hearts. Such are the Erpheronians.
Theirs is a distinguished line of trials and victories. Failing to perish where others would have succumbed, the Erpheronian tribe fought fiercely and ultimately survived, sometimes under the harshest of conditions. A human tribe located on the southern peninsula of the Sarvonian continent, the Erpheronian tribe was originally could be found in the northernmost region of the modern Santharian Kingdom. From this lofty vantage point, they slowly conquered the other existing tribes that lay south of their borders.
Without any doubt the Erpheronians play the most important role of all existing tribes on the continent of Sarvonia. From the beginning of recorded time, the Erpheronian tribe predominated the northern most territory in the southern isthmus of the Sarvonian continent; and, as the largest and most extensive tribe, always wanted to live up to their extraordinary position. Throughout history, many famous sovereigns of the tribe have had the intention to rule over others of their race, either by subduing them with force or by convincing the others tribes to peacefully join the glory of the Erpheronian sovereignty.
The dominant Erpheronians initially caused many bloody and terrible wars: not only wars among human tribes, but wars between the races (SW I and II) as well. Although the bloodshed for which the tribe is responsible is enormous, it should not be forgotten that the Erpheronian kings Thar, and later on Santhros, managed to unite all the human tribes of southern Sarvonia peacefully. They also were able to convince the other races into sharing their efforts to form the United Realms of Santharia.
Of the Erpheronian culture, much can be said. Whether ‘tis concerning their extensive trading policies or the simplest of herbal combinations, the Erpheronians documented every aspect of daily life. Medicinal texts from the northern order of priests mingle with satirical literature written for the royal court in the days of Katya the Just on the dusty shelves of the Royal Santharian Archives.
As a whole, the society of the Erpheronians was an ordered and relatively un-chaotic culture, with every citizen of the realm knowing their place in the class structure of the time. Also, not only are the peoples of the tribe are defined and separated by broad and complex class structures, the society of the Erpheronians is also largely patriarchal, with fathers and male community leaders managing the ever-changing lives of their families and neighborhood. It wasn’t until the reign of Queen Jenefra in the late 1600’s (b.s.) and later Katya Ileri Dain, that females of the tribe began to emerge and take on such roles are judge or councilor- though exceptions have been noted (Amalthea of the House of Eithar.)

Appearance

The Erpheronians come in a variety of shapes and sizes, drawing from a large pool of physical characteristics that spans the entire continent of Sarvonia. Height, weight, hair color, eye color and skin tones vary, sometimes to extremes. However, when generalizing the tribe- one would not be wrong to suggest that the peoples are of a larger physical stature then those south of their borders, not dissimilar to that of the northern tribes.
Following the migratory patterns of history and keeping in mind their northern position on the peninsula, their genetic makeup can be traced back to the barbarian tribes that inhabit the lands north of their own- to which they owe their generally towering height and light skin tones.
- On average: men’s height can reach as tall as 2.16 peds down to as short as 1.6 peds. (6’6’’ to 5’) Women have a similar average, 2 peds to 1.5 peds. (6’ to 4’5’’)
Hairstyles etc…
Men of all classes in the Erpheronian tribe wear their hair in a shoulder length fashion, either held in a ponytail or braided. Women’s hair is grown longer, then braided or coiled on top of their head to keep it out of the way for practical purposes. There are only a few exceptions to hairstyles:

for the upper class men’s hair takes on many styles- military longer braid, regular length, regent took into class by having his hair sheered close some where in the middle…. General military types would keep their hair close cropped
upper class women generally would favor longer styles, coiled and braided- elaborately styled or worn down, with adornments of expensive materials

Coat of Arms

Since the year of 1650 b.S. the Erpheronian coat of arms consists of a burning human body, head held high: The man at the banner is Caein, the son of the tribe's sovereign at this time, Maengolth. Caein killed his father out of justice as well as out of selfishness in order to end the terrible assaults of the so-called Dragonstorm, which was caused by the Erpheronian hero Wengerim who slew the dragon Seargon the Eternal, one of the three mythological adamant-dragons. Alas, Caein himself was killed after the sacrification by the unforgiving dragon Ol'dem'brey.
On the coat of arms Caein holds his head high against the sky - so although his body is burning brightly the viewer gets the impression of the pride of the human as if he'd demand the world to subjugate to his reign. Therefore the unusal design of the burning Caein on the Erpheronian coat of arms is interpreted in a positive way as the representation of the unceasable will to power which is typical for the Erpheronians as well as to the negative as a sign for the necessary divine punishment for human arrogance.

Territory

People

Class structure explanation

Education
Peasant class schooled at parents knee in necessities,
Merchant class- schooled generally until the age of 12 arithmetic and history - then apprenticed in a particular job- boys only- cities communal school only-
Noble Class tutored in all cases of study, math, science, history, literature- boys and girls alike- boys will go on to learn political and military issues- girls other issues

Housing

Low Class
one to two room house
one general room for existence and a closed off space either curtained off or another room completely for sleeping and/or bathing

Clothing

Clothing
Clothing for the average tribal “citizen” is an accumulation of several layered garments. The northern climate of their territory greatly influences their choices of wardrobe. Also it should be noted here that the dying system of cloth is class-divided. The brighter and “cleaner” the color [such as red vs. brick red or pink vs. dusty rose] the more the cloth will cost. A quick guide to a color/cost scale is:
Low class: dull/”dirty” colors: slate blue, pale teal, sage/pea green, dull rusty orange, brown [any shade], natural
Middle class : duller yet fuller colors – brick red, dull orange, dark blue, deep purple, dusty yellow, pine green, grey, dark teal, natural
High class : most shades of all colors [lights, darks, bright, pure] – red, orange, green, blue, yellow, purple, teal, black, white, natural
The most common cloths of the northern tribe consist of wool and linen.  Wool is a local commodity, while linen is highly imported from the south. Others, such as silk, lace, linen and other foreign fabrics, are imported into the region- but are only used among the higher classes.  

Low/Peasant Class:
Men:
Peasant class men can be commonly found wearing a woolen long-sleeved shirt combined with a pair of woolen trousers under a thigh-length sleeveless woolen tunic. The tunic has two long slits cut into the sides of the garment to allow for both maximum movement and warmth. The tunic is then belted with a length of cord or a long strip of cloth.
During the winter months, a course woolen cloak is employed against the northern climate. An extra pair of leggings, called “friggers” by the common folk, can be added to the peasant male wardrobe. On average, each common man owns one pair of thin leather boots. The shin-high boots are of low-grade and the man, having purchased the footwear, is expected to provide the twine that is needed to lace the boots. The boots are thin-soled and must be repaired often.
During the summer months the extra leggings and cloak are abandoned in favor of the warmer climate. During the heat’s peak, men wearing only their tunic, pants, and boots is a common sight. To shield their faces from the sun’s burning rays, a woven work hat is used. These hats are home-made and the materials for the accessories are generally common.
Women:
Peasant class women wear very similar clothing as their male mates. The only marked difference is the tunic. While essentially similar to the male tunic, the female tunic, the “dora skirt”, is longer- coming to mid-shin. Also, more cloth is used in making the “skirt”- causing the slits which are indispensable for the men, unnecessary for the women. Women’s apparel also differs in the footwear. The woman’s shoe is a simple thin leather clog, which has a thick cork sole. Called jokingly “the clunker” because of the inevitable clunking sound they make when one walks in them.
While winter changes include an addition of a rough woolen cloak, they do not include the “friggers.” For the duration of the summer months the trousers and “under-blouse” are abandoned, and a lighter “underskirt” is introduced.
Children:
Children’s clothing is virtually miniature versions of their parents’ dress- though a smaller fit of course. Children also wear a smaller version of the “clunkers.” In the summer months, it is a common sight to see young boys and girls playing barefoot amongst the fields.

Middle/Merchant Class:
Men:
Merchant class men wear loose long-sleeved linen (a more rich merchant might use silk) shirt, with a lace-up collar. Woolen trousers are held in place by a length of fabric or thinly braided leather strips with a brass or wooden buckle. A finely woven woolen vest covers the thin shirt and is held together with small wooden toggles. A richer merchant might sometimes use a rounded copper button to hold his vest together. Merchant men can be found wearing a knee-length leather boot, which is often held together using a heavy woolen yarn. The boots also have a two-finger breadth heel.
In the winter months linen leggings, called “foggers”, are worn beneath the trousers, similar to the winter long-sleeved linen shirt that is worn under the blouse. Also in the colder months, a sleeved cloak of fine wool is worn to protect the wearer from the cold wind. A wealthier merchant’s cloak might be lined with a low-grade fur, such as goatskin or ferret. Merchant-class men also sometimes wear gloves made felt or inexpensive leather.
Women:
Merchant class women’s undergarments are often made of linen simulating

Food
Low/Peasant Class
Simple bread
Milk from local cows
Local vegs home grown
Jelly in summer from berries
Meat- old cow, pig, game (pigs mainly raised for slaughtering)
Food stored, meats dried, vegs dried,
Jellies not persevered, bread not preserved (must be made on reg basis)
Wheat bought from farmers market or locally grown
Wheat ground into flour, makes simple meal, bread made once for entire week
Anything natural that would grow localy
Locally caught fish

Middle/ Merchant Class
simple bread
ale
milk
cheese (goat, cow)
meats (all of the above- might be able to procure a cow in winter)
vegs grown locally (behind houses)m or bought
jelly would be bought, not usually made
creams introduced- very expensive, used only by the higher middle class- used for whipped cream, deserts, maybe even cheeses possibly even bread- though woul dbe very expensive
few spices

Upper/Noble Class
all previously mentioned items
fruits introduced- in breads for example, vannella nut bread, cranberry bread-
spices
cheeses
creams
ale, beer, wine
all types of meats, fresh not dried, imported- including lamb, beef, pork, fish, veal,
all vegs
game

government

The Ten Houses of Voldar consisted of the most ancient and noblest families in the Erpheronian tribe. In effect, they formed the Ruling Council of Voldar and the current head of each family represented a seat on the council. They generally acted in advisory roles to the Erpheronian Rulers although in times of dire need, they could take an active stance in political matters if all ten houses were in accord and with just cause.

Capitol is Voldar

Production/Trade
Production
wool (major souse of income)
not sold raw- carding sheds, weaving, dying,
pig production-
timber
mining of minerals/ gems/
pottery/clay
leather production
furs
vegs
cured meats
jewelry/ raw gems

Trade
woven wool
pork
timber
raw gems
raw minerals
pottery
leather
furs

Occupations Divided by Class
Low/Peasant Class
Farmers
Miners
Shepherds
Weavers
General Laborers
Employed Domestic Laborers (maids, gardeners, butlers, cooks, etc…)

Middle/Merchant Class:
Carpenters
Jewelers
Traders
Misc Merchants
Craftsmen (carpenters, shoemakers, clothiers, etc..)
Artisans (jewelers, actors, entertainment, etc.. )

Upper/ Noble Class
Government
Military rank positions
Landholders
High ranking religious officials
Intellectual

Priest hood and general military positions held by peoples of all classes

Priesthood doubles as medicinal peasants may double as midwives and herbalists

Natural Resources

Holidays, Festivals and Observances
once a month, honoring the particular god/dess
coronation
head church official coronation
state weddings
all weddings are celebrations- open to entire community
changes of the seasons winter’s eve, summer’s eve- nighttime festivities
birth ceremony

Important Achievements

History

1650 b.S.
Dragonstorm
caused by the Erpheronian hero Wengerim
Caeins Pact with the Winged Death
Death of Maengolth through the hand of his son Caein
Death of Caein through the fires of the dragon Ol'dem'brey

822 b.S.
Theft of Maengolth's holy blood

806 b.S.
Beginning of SW I: The War of the Blood
The Erpheronians join the cause of Caltharian Viginold to revenge the Theft of the Erpheronian blood.

729 b.S
The Deciding of the Blood
The Erpheronian king Korpicor fights the elven Avá'ránn, Eleannja. Both leaders die in the fight.
Interring of the Leaders.

548 b.S.
SW II: The War of the Inpious
Two years after the first battles between the humans and the elves the Erpheronians join the war.

501 b.S.
The young Erpheronian king Karthach of Ishmarin surrenders to the overwhelming elven forces.
Tethías'quarón (The Oath of the Young)
Karthach and the elven queen Vilanciash swear to never again start bloodshed between the human and the elven race.

482 b.S.
Founding of the Kingdom of Tharania
The Erpheronian king Thar unites the kingdoms of the Erpheronians, the Centoraurians, the Kyranians and the Caltharians.

Coronationof Santhros
Founding of the United Realms of Santharia
by the Tharanian king Santhros the Wise, comprising all other human tribes as well as all the other races inhabitating the southern Sarvonian continent.

"If you gave me a choice between a Northern man, a Northern woman, or a Northern rat - I'd have to pick the rat..."

Anaea- on the north in general

Edited by: Anaea the Marked at: 4/23/03 2:28:34 am
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2003, 15:28:00 »

Cool, Anaea... A rework of such an important tribe as the Erpheronians was long overdue and it's good to see you working again on where you have left back then:)  We are nearing a completion of the elven tribes of southern Sarvonia, so having the human ones more elaborated now is very important, especially the Erpheronians:)  Just continue on - and you can never be detailed enough, so don't worry... *hehe*

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2003, 00:06:00 »

Ah, we're getting somewhere now... Just continue on, Anaea:D

Oh, and also good luck with exams etc. as you say you're graduating in a few days... I hope everything works out fine and you have a bit more time for Santharia later... The Erpheronians are definitely an essential tribe to have done properly, and I'm looking forward to see it done finally;)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2003, 00:24:00 »

*holding the applause with difficulty* Hi Anaea! Yay, someone's finally reworking my favourite tribe *decides to applaud!*

I have a favour to ask though if it's okay with you. Do you think it's possible to integrate some of my Katya stuff inside your Important Achievements?? I updated a few Katya facts and additions to the History timeline awhile ago and if you could take a look and add maybe like when Katya became Queen etc, I would really appreciate it!

pub176.ezboard.com/fsanth...=152.topic

Anaea the Marked

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2003, 23:58:00 »

Sorry Dala for not getting around to this as quickly as I would have liked... got caught up in a few other matters. :

I will of course add in your history of Katya, actually I had planned on doing so- but hadn't gotten around to asking your permission to include it. Did you know that those stories were the initial attraction for me to santharia? I’m still waiting patiently for the conclusion *looks pointedly at her* :)

I also need your help at the same time- I wanted to ask you about what you envisioned the everyday events to be like- esp when concerning the government and military aspects. Any insight you can give would be extremely helpful.. I want the two entries (katya and erphs) to mirror one another as much as possible ..

And I’ll make you a deal… I’ll add in the katya info if you promise to finish that story someday. (if only for me ;)  )

"If you gave me a choice between a Northern man, a Northern woman, or a Northern rat - I'd have to pick the rat..."
Anaea- on the north in general

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2003, 06:43:00 »

Really?? Oh, that's so flattering! That my stories were what initially attracted you to Santharia! :D  Hee, I'm as pleased as punch and very very happy! :rollin

Hm, let me go work out what daily government events that a Sovereign and the Voldarian Council does and I'll get back to you soon.

Will definitely finish the Katya chronicles...eventually! Hopefully sometime this year but I'm kinda stuck at the moment but I will write that last chaper one day....patience, I beg of you, good Anaea! One day....*scurries away*

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]