Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Volkek Oshra  (Read 2286 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 09 January 2004, 04:22:00 »

I currently try to weld together a more coherent picture of orcs and in the current form the Volkek Oshra post some major problems in this.

While the main concept behind them can stand very well within several centuries after Santhros there don't seem enough explanations for their behaviour, yet, and in the current timeframe they don't fit very well.

-Orcs are not persecuting shamans because they do magic. Their power system works the way that when a shaman is strong and skilled he'll be very, very respected. Burning someone alive, healing someone from the brink of death or heightening the warriors into a blood frenzy are all features that'd earn shamans respect and many allies. They'll have the advantage of being powerful in the hierachy of the orcs without being a real part of the hierachy.
-The whole timeframe is weird. 2000 b.S. there were no great contact between Northern and Southern Sarvonia at all with the Tandalas in the way and all this.
-What is the Community of Enlightenment exactly and what is their gain in joining Ximax? Orc shamans wouldn't share their secrets with anyone but their closest allies. In this respect they're very well seeking power.
-Where's the reason for them to go to Ximax in the first place? Northern Sarvonia is big, when they want to accumulate knowledge about fire magic they can do so anywhere without making a year long trip through the most dangerous regions of Sarvonia.
-Tolerance is beyond the concept of Orcs. They can only accept power, thus it needs more than just a few words where their gains are in aiding humans and elves (all weaklings in their eyes) to learn fire magic.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2004, 03:58:00 »

Okies... concerning this.

Okay then, if that can't be the main reasoning behind it... how about this.....

It says in the history section of the site that the human Chosen gathered masses of many vile creatures as their armies, including orcs. The Volkek could be the few that survived the war, who banded together, and, since the wars had already brought them to South Sarvonia, decided to not take the perilous journey northwards to rejoin their former clans. These orcs, trained in human fundamentals of magic by their masters, but were, similar to the Mullogs, those who retreated instead of fighting to the death, remained in hiding for the eras following and gradually lost a good deal of their aggressiveness. Etc... more elaboration if such an idea works.

The Society of Enlightenment would be the small conglomeration of above-mentioned orcs, basically, the Volkek under a different name... forsaking strength of arms for strength of mind. Because they are so reclusive, they have few foreign allies (but would indeed have some in the case of the more tolerant who have managed to befriend and gain the trust of the orcs, like Ximan). Ximan beckons them to the site of Ximax with the promise of a community where they will be accepted instead of killed on sight. Suspicious, they send only a small group of their most powerful to acknowledge Ximan. After the construction of the towers is finished, and the assurance by Ximan that few but the orcs will be allowed in, but they will be hold an equal share of power in Ximax (and after having grown accustomed to and gained the tolerance of the other races present), they'd send word for the rest of the clan, or at least the majority that is willing to undertake in this experiment, to come to Ximax. And remember... Ximax doesn't become a school till at least a decade later, so concerning their sharing knowledge deal that's not why they're there.

The concept of the Volkek has to be similar to the Mullogs... the less aggressive and more tolerant of their race.. otherwise I can see where you are coming from with it not working.

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2004, 05:49:00 »

I don't want to interfer here,  but I think the main problem is, that we see the other races as similar, as too similar to the human. The orcs you describe, Dasson, are no orcs anymore. Maybe they really have to be altered in the process of the war, influenced with magic and formed to serve through this magic.They loose their orcal (?) character. In the end, they look like orcs, but are far from being orcs.

To the elfs I would ask Wren what she thinks

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2004, 15:13:00 »

Yes... maybe they were altered by their masters to not be so rebellious or some such? Could work.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2004, 12:39:00 »

Oh well, the Mullogs are another issue as well... I cannot even imagine why an orc and a halfling... phew. I've never heard of Human-Halfling crossbreeds and cannot imagine that either.
Also though I know Arti wants slums of orcs in Santharian cities I currently barley know how I could combine that with orcish personality. The only way an orc would succumbs under force would be when you defeat him, beat him into submission and spent all your time afterwards preventing him from trying to escape, kill you or kill himself. Actually it wouldn't be much fun.
Their aggressiveness, their urge to fight is an instinct, not something trained.  Running away is not the problem for orcs (well cowardice is), getting cornered and forced to surrender would be.

An orc tribe from the War of the Chosen? South of the Tandalas at that time? That'd extend their influence over Santharian history over various more millenias....
How big would they be? The description of the Volkek Oshra tells that all are supposed to be magical. But given that we assume that only about every thousandth individual among humans is born with magical talents we can assume a similar value for an average orc tribe. That however would mean beside the few Volkek Oshra with magical powers several thousand other orcs are roaming around, too. I'm not sure if that is good for Santharian health. ;)

I'd have some rough ideas but not sure if they suit however I first want to ask what's the background story of the Orb of Ximax. When did it get to the place it is now,  brought by whom, etc?

Finnael
Heraldic Artist
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2004, 20:55:00 »

While were in the topic of Volkek-Oshra... I decided to see what I could do with the CoA, Koldar, do u think u can 3Dize this? Make it sort of metallicy(?) ?

I could give u a transparent background version over email if u want.

Evil thinks not to beguile us by unveiling the terrible truth of its festering intent, but comes, instead, disguised in the diaphanous robes of virtue, wispering sweet-sounding lies intended to seduce us into the dark bed of our eternal graves.

E-mail Me Here                            Check Out My Site

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2004, 07:57:00 »

Very cool, Finnael, I'll se to it, I'm quite busy right now, though. Transparent version would be helpful. The background is very nice but maybe the flames wopuld be also drawn in stylied form on a coat of arms?Maybe only a pattern around the border or surrounding the rune?

Dasson, reading through the the entry of theirs, can the volkek'Oshra entirely made up of halforcs between orc and human? The entry sounds like that with brown skin, bald head, hair, etc.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2004, 15:44:00 »

Looks quite interesting indeed, Finnael, and I'm sure Koldar can make a very nice shield from it:)

Hmmm, yeah, other ways of realizing the flames could be considered, though right at the moment I don´t have a striking idea...

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2004, 04:33:00 »

@Koldar - No time to answer everything... but... about the half-orc deal... that actually does sound like a very reasonable idea... considering, that I bet half-orcs would be definately persecuted by both races. However, that doesn't explain how the actual half-ness occured when there are no orcs south of the Tandalas, and it wouldn't explain why they are all magical.

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2004, 09:32:00 »

I don't think the later is explainable, Dasson.The agreement in the magic forum seems to be that mages are extremely rare. A tribe thus could never survive on such a small numbers.

I'd suggest to assume the Volkek-Oshra to be a subtribe of another tribe who is made up of halforcs and the Volkek-Oshra drop their non-magical offspring among those people and recruit all magical halforcs to them.

Now to the more tricky question as you already stated, where did they come from?

I'd like to know what the orb of Ximax is and what story it has? Maybe that helps. I don't want to say that these orcs just lived happily among all this humans and elves as if it is the most normal thing. That'd be very shallow to me. However without an event worth to be mentioned in the history timeline I also don't think that orcs would cross the Tandalas. Though one could assume more orc campaigns before the devastating third Sarvonian War that'd currently mess too much with the currently revamped timeline so I'd not dare to make any definite calls here.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]