Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Rhulrans  (Read 6607 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2004, 04:05:00 »

Well, I think it is in the human nature to make things prettier, there is no reason needed, perhaps why they do certain designs though. They could have a protective character, but it is not necessary.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2004, 12:18:00 »

How's the status here, Luca/Artemis? Guess you're not completely through with checking this tribe, Artemis, or? - If you have the time, please try to take a closer look on the rest as well, so that we perhaps can move it on the site eventually;)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artemis
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2004, 13:14:00 »

*Slaps self on wrist*

My fault... I'll continue...

Food
The Rhulran diet consists, as expected, mainly of the flora found growing around the Nashrhul Oasis. Fruits, such as the Pineapple (perhaps another name? A Santharianised name? Or perhaps you could call it a Pineapple, but have a few varieties of it, such as the "prickly pineapple" or the "Nashrhul pineapple";)   and Dashefruit, are very popular and are picked by women and children of the village to be served in thin slices. (It would be better to separate this final piece of information from the rest of the sentence i.e. ... 2of the village. These fruits are traditionally served in thin slices." Something like that) For citizens of Rhual (do you mean for the visitors to Rhual? Or do you simply mean that traders go there to pick then sell the fruit? You've already said that women and children pick the fruit... a little confusing.) men and women will go into the oasis area and collect a good amount of fruit to bring back and sell in the market.

Small family plots of land, usually located just outside the dense flora of the oasis yet still close enough to make use of the fertile soil, are used to grow vegetables and even some grain. The land, though fed by thin, underground veins from the oasis, is very delicate and must be managed properly to produce proper produce. (Ooh, alliteration) (Ooh, fancy! ;)  ). Tubers and other root-plants are popular as well as the coarse, grassy fibers (perhaps you could name a few examples and make entries for a few, because such things are lacking in Aeurillin at the moment) used for clothing (these grasses can grow wild though picking them is difficult and is much better to be cultivated in small areas). (Perhaps remove the brackets and have the last bit as a sentence on its own. It would look much nicer if you did :)  .)

Some game is also hunted from the oasis, though large prey is hard to get and rarely eaten fresh, save for special occasions such as festivals and weddings. Meat, because of it’s difficulty to keep in the hot climate, is usually lightly spiced and dried, hung in kitchens, back rooms and even small warehouses for storage. (Perhaps they could trade for herbs and spices with the Ordions? Just a thought.)

Weapons
Rhulrans are a peaceful people, believing firmly in community, family and respect. Though, when circumstances beyond their control arise, methods of protection are needed. Young boys are taught, often by relatives or older family friends, basic self-defense. This form of hand-to-hand fighting stays true to the Rhulran ideal of peace and focuses on dodging and mild offensive. When watched from afar, it is very agile and quick, almost aerobatic and resembles a dance. When weapons are used, staffs, spears, small blades and even whips are weapons of choice as they can easily be tied into the quick paced combat. There is almost never official training in the small villages surrounding the oasis, but in Rhual, city officials pace the streets casually, watching for unrest. (Don't think you can say much more here, they're a peaceful people... perhaps they call their defensive training by a special name? And they only teach young BOYS because... do they believe females to be incapable of defense... or it is considered unsuitable for young ladies?)

TBC...

:D   :D   :D  

You're supposed to put something really clever and witty in the signature. Well, I am neither clever, nor witty, so this is a waste of space for me really.

Edited by: Artemis at: 6/24/04 21:15
Artemis
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2004, 13:35:00 »

Occupations
Rhulran peasants, especially those in the smaller towns, usually work to provide for their family (Sentence is a bit obvious... I know that's picky, it would be better if you wrote "usually work long hours..." or just something to change it slightly... I mean, most people have to work to provide for themselves or a family!). Men of the family (The word family is in a second consecutive sentence.) go out to the small plots of lush farmland to work the land. Heavy labor in the hard climate of the desert is hard work, and Rhulran men commonly experience back, shoulder and leg pains. (Are there any Rhulran chiropodists? Hehehe... ;) .) Women and children do their share of work as well. Most housewives (isn't the word housewife a bit modern? I'm unsure... perhaps you could say "most mothers" or "women with children". Or perhaps housewife is OK. I do confuse myself at times) will go into the lush (a different word? You've already used lush once in this paragraph... OK, I'm biased, I detest the word... but still?) , jungle-like environment of the oasis to pick fruits, herbs and even hunt for small game found there. It is usually the children’s job to collect water from community wells, tote supplies to and from home and do the house cleaning.

Music, already being a large part of Rhulran culture, is a popular line of work. Whether it is through an instrument, dance or singing, children are taught rhythm and beat at an early age. Bards, musicians and dancers frequent the streets and taverns of Rhual, performing to earn a living and often venturing beyond their borders to adventure and make a living elsewhere. Rhulran music is very lively and upbeat; popular instruments including the lute, fiddle, small drums and wind instruments of all kinds. (Perhaps there is a person with a special position, whose job it is to travel searching for those youngsters with exceptional musical talent, to take under their wing and become "celebrities" of Rhual, performing in majopr event. Just an idea! Is there a prestigious music school? Perhaps we could make it famous throughout Aeruillin!)

In the city of Rhual or the larger towns nearby, inns and shops are staple occupations. Year round, travelers from other cities come into town for supplies and rest. Certain streets in Rhual are lined with only inns and taverns and others with supply shops. Most employ their own family or close family friends to help around the business. At the year-round market in Rhual, most popular in early winter, tradesmen from all over the Rhulran region come to sell wares such as cloth, pottery, jewelry and food.

Government
The Rhulrans are a very community and family oriented people. Small towns are run by unanimous decisions made by respected people in the community. (A unanimous decision can't always be reached surely? What happens if one is not?) In Rhual, city councils are held frequently to hear the voices of citizens and for them to voice concerns and suggestions.

When a leader council (is it supposed to be leader council, or council leader?) is selected, it is a decision made by the community as a whole. Council members are nominated by citizens at the town meeting, and from there are later selected by a quick vote. The leader council makes the important decisions which cannot be settled by community vote. Serious crimes and disagreements, even from outside the city, are taken before the council of Rhual for a final ruling. For (an?) out of city ruling, an official representative of the town accompanies the party to Rhual for moderation. (Does the leader council/council leader live a life of luxury? Can they be any gender? How long are they in power for? Can they pass major laws that affect all of society? do they have "ultimate power?" Can they be overturned - what if it becomes corrupt/is bribed etc. Are there any special customs that must be adhered to upon meeting a council member?)

TBC...

:D  :D  :D  

You're supposed to put something really clever and witty in the signature. Well, I am neither clever, nor witty, so this is a waste of space for me really.

Artemis
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2004, 06:48:00 »

Here I go again... :) .

Production/Trade

The Rhulrans are well known for their haven shops in the middle of the harsh desert. Shops offering food, supplies and goods litter the streets of Rhual, while almost every family in the smaller villages has a trade shop operated from home.

One of the major items of trade from the Rhulran people is their clay pottery. The sticky clay found around the oasis is excellent for producing easily molded and dense products which are fired in large, shared kilns. Paints can be made from the various types of soil and plant life around the oasis and items are decorated with simple and geometric, yet colorful, designs. (Perhaps this sentence would read better if you wrote is as follows - "...with colourful designs that can be both simple and geometric...";) Children find it especially fun to paint pottery for themselves, such as personalized bowls or beads.

Embroidery and dying of the coarse, fibrous fabrics is a popular trade and pastime among the people, something usually passed down from mother to daughter, each family having their own techniques and styles. Dyes are made from the various flora surrounding the oasis which is harvested by the women or children, and very rarely cultivated by a few groups. The making of these mediocre dyes is a long and repetitive process of crushing, melting and drying.

(You could add a simple sentence about how they trade spices and herbs with the Ordions?)

Natural Resources

As (is?) to be expected, the Rhulrans rely mainly on the oasis and things around it. The lagoon itself is used mostly for drinking and washing, but the abundant life growing around it is vital to the survival of the desert tribe.

Fertile soil is rare in the desert, though around the oasis the soil is very good for growing. Land is conserved and strictly organized into, most often, family plots. Harvests are usually used up entirely by the family since plots tend to be small to conserve space, though the Rhual market is a popular place to sell surplus crops. The people try to limit irrigation, as they believe that the lagoon may dry up if they abuse the gift of the gods.

The natural flora around the oasis can be used for anything from medicine to food to dyes. Nearly everyday, it seems, a new use for a common plant is found, whether it’s a new recipe or a healing paste. Wood is a luxury and the trees that surround the lagoon are strictly used for small things like tools and some furniture. Trees grow slowly in the harsh climate and the cutting down of them is nearly taboo.

(Seems good to me this section...)

Artemis
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 June 2004, 07:33:00 »

Traditions
The Festival of Celebration, a religious festival of Jenevere, is held by the community as a whole to celebrate their goddess. Each town or city holds one annually (on the same date each year? Traditionally, this festival is held whenever someone feels like it, as described in the religion entry, so do they decide simply to have one on the same day each year because of the unity of the tribe?), though many out of town Rhulrans will actually travel to other cities to attend their festival as well. It is a large and joyous festival, full of food, music, laughter and friends. This is a festival where traditional costumes (see Clothing) are worn and showcased. The festival continues well into the night, even after young children have been brought home after a long day of games and fun, until finally all company eventually disperses. It is usual for the day after the Festival of Celebration to be a very lazy and quiet as people sleep off the festivities (and perhaps certain alcohol induced illnesses).

(In this paragraph perhaps you can get rid of a few "festivals" and put "it" or something, because you seem to have that word in almost every sentence!)

Arguably the most important part of a Rhulran’s life is their day of marriage. As celebrated through their goddess, Jenevere, a marriage celebration is very public and usually a joy for the entire community. For the bride, it is a day that not only begins her life as part of yet another family, but also ends her life of a child. Her hair, having always been worn down and loose, is now braided. For the wedding, all the bride’s hair is braided by her mother (or other female guardian) into one long braid to signify the unity of the husband and wife as one. A married woman’s hair is almost always worn in one braid, except during times of grief or mourning where it once again hangs loose. For the groom, his day of marriage is a proud day for him and his family as it unites his family with yet another. It is traditional for the groom to prepare a large meal for his bride’s entire family the night prior the wedding. As for preparations for the wedding itself, this is done completely by the community and rarely even includes the couple to be wed.

(Don't forget that "Jenevére" has an accent where I have put one!)

Myth/Lore - I like this, it's all good!

History - You don't need to put any dates... do you have just a few ideas as to what happened in your tribe's history? Any major inter-tribe wars or something? If you can't think of anything, then I'm sure you can add the history later.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 30 June 2004, 08:14:00 »

Yup, history isn't absolutely necessary, Luca. Though it would be good if you have an idea where the tribe originated from and if you have some cornerstones here and there this also wouldn't hurt.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 30 June 2004, 08:25:00 »

don't we know already, that they originate from the ordions?

Quote:
Some Ordions became restless, went exploring, almost died until they came across the oasis of Nashrhul, and decided to stay at said place. Became Rhulrans. Devoted to Mermaria, they believe she guided them to the water.

And please..... don't call the fruit just pineapple, make it a little exotic

In German it is called Ananas, could be altered to ana'nas or Sanana, or there are other names for it as well like , Nanas, Pina, or derive it from the latin word Ananas comosus.. comosus, sounds great, doesn't it?
I would as well recommend to describe it a bit different than the pineapple we know, maybe likr the Pina de Playon (Ananas bracteatus)

Use    :D  

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 6/29/04 16:43

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 30 June 2004, 08:32:00 »

Oh, sure, just wanted to mention that this is something you can put in here explicitly with some rough dates:)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/29/04 16:32

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2004, 01:44:00 »

I assume this would be ready to go up then, right Artemis?

Artemis
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2004, 10:22:00 »

I can't find anything contradictory or wrong in it, so as long as Luca is happy with it, I give it the OK.

Thankyou Luca for doing this!

:hug .

It's a great entry!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 05 July 2004, 00:20:00 »

Oh, how about a coat of arms/sign for the tribe?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 07 July 2004, 13:38:00 »

Ok, as you see we have put the Rhulrans eventually up, Luca:)  - Congrats on your first approved entry, hope more will follow in the course of time... ;)  - The only thing I miss here at the moment are some details on a coat of arms/sign - any ideas?

Luca the Thief
Scallawag
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 July 2004, 20:29:00 »

Ah yes...the coat of arms. I'm not good with that kind of thing and will probably come together on its own once I have the history together. So....shall come later, I suppose :  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 08 July 2004, 13:28:00 »

Maybe all the tribes who are connected through their ancestry should have something common in their coat of arms, not the same, but it would be cool, if their relationship is seen here as well, what ever it is.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]