Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Eyelians  (Read 5996 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2004, 02:28:00 »

Ok, next part!

A word before I continue : I like your entry, Tiaa, otherwise I would not have chosen to read it with my limited time. But it needs some rearrangement, apart from the corrections/comments I added already. I know, that it is difficulty for the writer of an entry to see this clearly, so I will do a proposal later. For now, I just commented on the way reading through it. NOT on the religious thing though, which I will do later, when I'm through with all - and then comes the "restructuring." I don't change much of the content though!

Ok, next part:

At times, visitors have entered an Eyelian city and have found all lights dimmed and a strange scent filling the air. This is because the Eyelian adults often hold periods of meditation where they seek the Wat'a'kan. The Wat'a'kan are believed to be the messengers of Avá and the twelve gods. They are the spirits that reside in all things living and through the Wat'a'kan the Eyelians are able to gain guidance from Avá and the twelve gods. Many Eyelians claim that once they have surfaced from this deep link, their minds and bodies are refreshed and they feel youthful once again. This meditation period can last from a single bell to several days. Regardless of the duration, the Eyelians do not move around nor do they eat. They are allowed to sleep, but they must sleep in the same position that they meditate in. They believe that they are stronger than the pain and that they will overcome it.  That does more belong to religious practice, I would say.  

As a result of this bond, Eyelians have the amazing ability to make themselves accepted by the animals by acting and communicating in a familiar, understandable way and thus they have a tremendously efficiency in taming such beasts. Eyelians are not limited to any certain type of animal, as long as it has some way of communicating with another of its species. An Eyelian cannot ‘tell’ an animal to do something through speech to do something, but they can probably achieve their goal by engaging with a beast and being accepted by it.
I would add something more mysterious , I don‘t agree with Art here to make  it more plausible. At least some of this tribe should be able to do MORE: I think even on a hint in the direction of shapeshifting qualities  (into the prefered animal), though it has to be vague - nothing for the RPG though!

There are various differences between each of the clans.  You have not introduced the clans yet There is not exact way to classify the Eyelians as a whole; each clan has a different view on life and on how to run their lives.

Members of the Wolf Clan tend to be superior in which respect?   concerning all things which have to do with leading or guiding people ??? and therefore many of the most successful leaders have come from this clan. They are usually highly loyal and very keen, their vigilant minds watching for anything that could upset the balance in their society. If a tribe or nation nearby wish to recruit the help of the Eyelians, it would be best to start with the Wolf clan. They do not give their trust easily, but once it is gained rest assured that it will remain unless they have been done wrong.

The members of the Eagle Clan are known for their grace, sharp wit, and intellect. Many great strategists have come form the Eagle Clan. Their grace is amazing, they seem to move, think and speak with a great deal of self-assurance. They are also known for being very independent and usually work best when alone.

Bear Clan members are creative; they are the thinkers of Eyelian society. Many visitors have also called them the friendliest Eyelians. It seems that they are truly the most hospital, as they welcome any kind visitor into their lands with warm smiles and warm kettles.

Housing
Depending on what clan you visit you will see different structures. The Wolf Clan likes stone structures therefore you will see homes and fortresses built of stone. The Bear Clan prefers wood so their homes and fortresses are made of wood. And the Eagle Clan finally uses the earth more than other materials, so the Eagles' homes and fortresses are made of hardened mud and earth.

I know, you took this direct out of Caphers entry, but I thik it is a bit unlogical. I don‘t know, if he had a Red Indian tribe as  reference where this is this way, but to have the flying eagle bound to the earth and the bear have the wooden house, it should be the other way round, I think. The eagle may live up high in the air, in the tops of trees, whereas the bear makes himself a burrow close to the earth to sleep in winter. If you do have a sound reason, there is[ no problem with altering an existing entry

Another important location is the so-called Lodge of Purification: Depending on what clan, it is basically an enclosed area with a large fire pit filled with rocks in the center. Participants are required to remove all clothing and sit in a circle. The elder of the clan then passes a brown sticky substance to each participant while saying a chant. The participant then takes the substance and eats it. This substance, called "Etoyep", is supposed to help the participant see the Great Spirits or visions of the future. Water is poured upon these heated rocks and the steam is meant to sweat out all impurities from of the participants so that they are clean, both physically and spiritually. The temple of Colthoi seems to have been the Lodge of Purification for the Bear Clan. Though that has not been proven the ruins and artifacts found in the area point in that direction.

The ceremony itself belongs under - well, ceremony, not housing  

Clothing
The Eyelians once wore very little clothing. In ancient times they could be seen walking around naked without worry of who was seeing them. Now, as times have changed, they tend to wear a great deal more clothing, however there are still traces of their natural inclination to walk around in nothing at all. The common item of clothing is a sleeveless shirt for both sexes, and then loose pants for the men and short skirts for the women. One thing all items of clothing have in common is that they are made out of very light, flowing material. The Eyelians do not like the feeling of tight, binding clothing. The material does not restrict their movement and gives them a sense of freedom. They tend to wear soft sandals made of deer hide and tree bark, and some even wrap scarves around their heads.
 I wnder why the men have pants and the woman skirts? ;)  

Men's Clothing: Clothing for men in Eyelian society does not differ much. There is a variation of color, although Eyelians prefer earthly tones, such as light or dark browns, blacks, and whites. Those males who lead a clan and their family, wear blue as a sign of the blessing that the Father Sky has bestowed upon them. Men tend to wear sleeveless shirts, that reveal much of their well-developed arm muscles, and that have a low-hanging collar. Some even wear vests that remain unclosed during the heat of the day. As for leg covering, Eyelian men prefer to wear loose shorts, or even pants.

Women's Clothing: Female Eyelians are usually seen in sleeveless shirts, just like the men. They prefer short skirts that barely reach their knees to the modern long skirts and dresses. But if they wanted, they could make their own dresses, and many of the elder Eyelian women do. The years have worn down their figure and they become a bit more conservative with their clothing. Women look more exotic than men do, and they tend to wear a lot more jewelry. Both sexes are fond of metals and gems, but women are very fond of gold, especially gold bracelets, necklaces, and rings. Most Eyelian women are usually decorated with various trinkets that they've managed to purchase.
 You wrote above, that they only wear jewellry which has a meaning to them, not just for fun.
To the clothing of the elderly woman with their „worn down figure“ - you know, that you now are applying the beauty ideal of our society? In other societies women have no problem with showing their hanging down breasts (for they are a sign for having breast fed children) and other features aquired with the time. thionk if this fits to the tribe you are designing!

Tribal Markings: The descendents of each of the three clans usually have various markings that set them apart from one another. The Wolf clan often gets the mouth of a wolf exposing its fangs on their arms or chest, the Eagle clan has an eagle’s talons stretched out in the same area, and the Bear clan usually have the claws of a bear imprinted on their bodies with dark, black ink.

Food
Eyelians eat just about anything. Even though they worship wolf, eagle and bear they realize these animals eat meat and so do they, including those animals they worship. However, they do so for survival only and not for sport. Eyelians will kill anyone they think is harming nature or the animals if they believe it is being done out of pure sport or maliciousness.
 Maybe you add here anything which grows in the region , what else do they eat, if not meat? Do they import something, do they grow their own corn or live just from the forest?  

Weapons
The Eyelians mainly use only simple weapons such as staff, bow and spear. Their main weapons are the animals themselves they can call to their aid, which can be most any kind of wild animal around. When Eyelians go out to war a lot of their army will consist of such wild animals, tamed for battle.
 Well, there was not a war for long times, so maybe refer to an old war or/and write, that it is not known, but maybe feared, that if a major fight mif´ght occur, the Eyelians could well have formidable weapons in their animals friends. maybe a single event mentioned gives a hint to it.  

Occupations
The dominant and most prominent occupations in Eyelian society are those of religious leaders, and those with military positions.

-Religious Leaders
Being very spiritual, the Eyelians believe that without proper religious guidance you cannot obtain proper communication with the spirits. Those who work to become Eyelian priests and invoke the Great Spirits, often live easier than the rest. They are very highly respected and tend to be treated with reverence wherever they set foot. The Eyelians believe that the spirits of nature are the messengers of Avá. They believe that Avá and the Twelve Gods use the Great Spirits to communicate to them. They also feel that Avá respects those who serve her; therefore they should do the same. A religious leader is not chosen directly by the Eyelian people. The Elders commune  how?with the spirits in order to get them to contact Avá to help them make the decision. Meanwhile, children who have come of age spend the week in the wilderness seeking the spirits. When the adolescent returns, the Elders will inform the child whether or not he or she was chosen to become a religious leader.
Will comment on that later  

Once the future leader has been chosen they will undergo grueling trials and tests. That doesn#t fit to the tribe like you described it by now, I would go more in the direction of endurance, hardship and so on, but not „gruel tests“. If you want to have this gruel component, you have to describe it better, maybe these are things the adulescents have to endure in visions, not in physical pains as one could easily assume? It is no easy job to become a religious leader, and many often become spiritually and emotionally unstable by all of the things that they must witness. No one, not even those who have resigned from their positions, are allowed to speak on what these things are. But many Eyelians will quickly inform you that the trials are not pleasant. The Elders believe that only the wise and the disciplined can make for good spiritual leaders. After undergoing the period of trials and tests, the Eyelian will emerge either sane or unstable. If they emerge stable, they will be given the title of an Elder and will be sought after for the rest of their lives by those seeking counsel with the Santharian Gods through the Great Spirits.
 comments on the relious thing later.  

-Clan Leaders
Being a clan leader is not really an occupation; it is more a duty. And it is a duty that not many get the chance to endure. If you believe you are fit to be leader of one of the three clans, you must go into the Lodge of Purification at the time of the full moon. If one of the Great Spirits do not 'physically touch' you, then you are to be thrown out of the clan along with your family. That again does not fit to the picture you draw from this clan. I would say, that thisperson, maybe along with his family leaves the clan out of shame for having been too proud or arrogant to claim the title when not being fit for it?   It is believed that those who were not chosen were too arrogant and unworthy of living amongst the others. There are three clan leaders for each of the three clans, they each come together and make decisions that will affect the entire Eyelian community, but they are in charge of their own smaller communities. The Clan leaders often seek out the advice of the Elders, for they are the closest to the spirits. It is a known fact that you have a better chance of becoming a clan leader if you are or have been an Elder.  Can you use the title of an eder?   The Clan leader serves his or her clan until the time of his death, and then another is chosen to replace him or her.

-Tribal Warriors
The Eyelians are usually a rather peaceful community, but when disturbed they can become a force to be reckoned with. While they may not have the great populations of many other Santharian armies, they can still cause their foes to sweat. Eyelian warriors are also Beast masters; their uncanny ability to gain a sense of communication with any animal allows them to use the beast for battle. Eyelians do take advantage of this trait, and the bulk of their army is made up of nature's creatures. Eyelians restrict most in their armies to land-based positions; they are not very fond of water-based armies. It is difficult to commune with the animals of the waters since they are not always nearby, but the Eyelians do have a steadily growing navy on the Aetryam Sea.

Again, the same problem as above, where are the foes? What are doing the warriors in times of peace like we have now? Why should they have an army at all? I have the same problem with my Shendar warriors, though they have the opportunity to guide and protect others from the perils of the desert - or go as mercenaries - against thieves and robbers. A solution might be, that you keep a army „in reserve“. The people (most of them, except some teachers) do earn their living with other things, but are trained as beast masters and such. I would skip the naval army entirely, in the past as nowadays, especially if you write, that they have not such a good bond to the sea animals. However, there could be a few beast masters there as well, but maybe they are assisting more other great fleets like the Stratanian or the Helcrani.  

Their tribal warriors are not usually promoted based solely upon their skills on the battlefield. The Eyelians believe that a well-rounded fighter is best, so the Elders and Clan leaders look for charisma along with physical prowess. Therefore most Eyelian Generals are very diplomatic and physically strong. Being a tribal warrior is a very honorable thing, and warriors are highly respected. Men and women are allowed to join the ranks as long as they have already received their spiritual guide from the messengers of Avá (the Great Spirits).

-Land Keepers
Another word for a 'farmer', Eyelians do not have the most fertile soil, but they manage to do quite well with the land they can use. It is their duty to ensure that the Eyelians have a stable diet The Eyelians split their land keepers into two groups, hunters and farmers. Farmers till the land to grow crops, and hunters scour the land for game. It is a respectable job and is very vital to the survival of the Eyelian people. Without food one cannot survive for very long.

-Merchants
Eyelian merchants are very smooth talkers, they do not always have the best items to sell to you, but they know how to promote their products. Being a merchant is not all too respectable, unlike many other tribes, the Eyelians do not thrive upon their commerce with other civilizations. Instead they prefer to trade amongst one another. There are very few Eyelian merchants in their society; the majority of them remain within Eyelian territory. If you were to go to Sorphronia or Marcogg you will have a difficult time spotting an Eyelian merchant selling their goods.

The rest of the Eyelian population has a variety of occupations. They range from miners to seamstresses, from healers to mages. They even have several well-known scholars, and some of Santharia's greatest philosophers have been Eyelian men and women. It is their great sensibility that allows them to be so diverse.

Government
Unlike most, the leadership of a clan is determined not by lineage but by whom the Great Spirit of whatever clan they belong to determines. The White Wolf, Great Bear or Taloned Eagle determines who the leader of the clan will be. The way that the members prove to be worthy of leadership is that after the previous leader dies then those who think they should be his/her followers go into the Lodge of Purification at the time of the full moon. They stay there until the next full moon. The one that has been chosen by the spirit to lead their clan is "touched physically". What does this mean? Examples!  Explain hereThose who were not chosen and had the arrogance of thinking to be worthy are thrown out of the clan. This discourages only those who believe they should be the leader.
 See above  

From what the historians can determine from the fragments of records to be "touched physically" means that the member who was chosen is struck with a physical feature that they did not have when they entered the Lodge, e.g. Golden eyes for those of the Wolf Clan, clawed fingers or malformed feet for those of the Bear Clan, narrowing of the eyes and extremely keen, almost supernatural eyesight for those of the Eagle Clan. These are just some examples. There may have been others but the historians have only been able to decipher these so far.

Production/Trade
Eyelians are not very fond on trading with other kingdoms and tribes, but they are well aware of how vital it is to their economy.

The Eyelians have very stable trade relations with the Quaelhoirhim, trading various gems and jewels for Quaelhoirhim glass and gold. Plus the Quaelhoirhim make beautiful swords and magnificently made rugs that the Eyelians can't seem to resist. Due to their good relations with the Quaelhoirhim, the elves have helped the Eyelians to form a stable, long distance trade relation with the Aellenrhim elves in northern Sarvonia. The Eyelians trade salt from the ocean shores mention this as occupationfor various woven fabrics from the Aellenrhim. And in recent times even the Sanhorrhim have sailed from their ports in the Cyan Sola Bay to sell small ships, silver items and fish with the Eyelians. It is believed that these elven tribes enjoy trading with the Eyelians because of the hospitable and peaceful dispositions they share.

Due to the fact that Eyelian women are fond of the Spermaceti produced by Avennorian fishermen, the two tribes have begun to strengthen their trading ties. The Eyelians are also quite fond and intrigued by the ivory tusks of whales that Avennorian traders often bring with them.

Also due to their fondness of gold, the smooth-talking Eyelian merchants have managed to form a wonderful trading relation with the Boltgrumm dwarves in order to gain access to the gold that is heavily laced throughout the Kairgrumerons in the Kairian Teeth.

What about the main capital in their midst? No trading ?  

Natural Resources
The land that the Eyelians inhabit is not well known for being fertile and they do not have a plethora of resources to use.  I wonder, why this region is not fertile, any reason? It looks as if grain could grow well there - it has a moderate  climate, why should the soil be poor?But they manage to take sand and salt from the ocean nearby and have begun to learn to manufacture glass with the sands. That is complicated, I thought only the gnomes know how to do it . Maybe hire some! Ancient Eyelians also had access to the Aetryam Sea, so their descendants are able to catch some rather large fish. They also have various gold mines that they have purchased from the Quaelhoirhim, which can be found in the western edges of the Zeiphyrian Forest. Eyelians are also able to mine a small amount of gold from the Kairian Teeth due to their good relations with the Boltgrumm dwarves.  I doubt that, the dwarves would sell the gold, but allowing access to their realm under the earth??? They have a small variety of game, such as bears, rabbits, owls, deer, eagles, and wolves, plus other small mammals and reptiles.

Eyelians are able to gather various minerals in the Rimmerins Ring. This large mountain range does not have a great deal of mineral resources I‘m not sure about this, I think I read elsewhere, that there are quite a lot of resources, talk to others like Judith and whoelse has ideas.   but it does have a few that the Eyelians are able to take advantage of. Minerals that they mine in the Rimmerins Ring include copper, herne, tin, and lead. They can also gather burning stones, stones with magical properties at the Argor volcano in the northeast.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 02 September 2004, 12:46:00 »

Just a link here to Koldar's Eyelian coat of arms experiments with different colours - see here. Make sure to post your opinion!

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 02 September 2004, 21:44:00 »

Sorry for not returning earlier - and I will be gone for the next few days (till sunday evening) to celebrate some birthdays.

So a quick overview, what I like to propose for the religions part:

The Eyelians came from the west with their belief of father Sky and mother Earth, who have created the "Great Spirits". While living in Santharia they learned about the twelve Santharian gods and in the course of time, both beliefs mixed, or, let's say, they adopted (or were forced to do so) the Santharian, without neglecting their old one. Both changed a bit. So Father Sky was replaced by Grothar, mother Earth by Jeyriall, so these two will be the main gods for the Eyelians. This will give a nice contradiction to the myths I created so far, with Grothar being in love with Baveras. Either the relation Grothar/Jeyriall is older than Grothar /Baveras, in any case could be source of a lot of stories and contradictions between tribes beliefs.

Till today there could be differences between the Eyelians and the rest of the other  tribes concerning their religious practice. . F.e., is a Grothar priest always a spiritual leader in the Eyelian sense as well, having sought for his own spirit/animal? Or what with the priestes of Jeyriall? How do these priest interact with their non-Eyelian colleges?

Maybe this purifying ceremony has found followers in other temples of other gods as well.

The rest I promised to do has to wait till next week, sorry!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2004, 20:52:00 »

Wow. A lot of changes that I need to make. I'll try and get back on this as soon as Talia posts the rest of her changes. And then you all can have a look through it again. I can't be sure whether I am going to use all of the changes that she's given, but most of them are reasonable and I will definitely use them. Don't worry Arti, this'll be done, I won't leave you hanging. I just don't know when exactly it'll be done, but it will. :hug  

Even the smallest person imaginable can change the course of the future

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2004, 00:19:00 »

Just take your time, Tiaa - I appreciate that things are done throughly, but there's not need to get stressed;)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2004, 13:38:00 »

On Sunday is the last of our birthday celebrations, and though I won't have as much time as before afterwards(this new daughter takes her time!) , I will reserve one morning for it!

Unknown

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2005, 09:06:00 »

(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]