Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Mullog Redesign  (Read 14339 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2005, 12:48:00 »

Did you use the search function, Theo (the magnifying glass to the right of the site menu)? Try searching "mullog" and "mullogs". Because there is a whole plethora of entries I find there, which help you a good deal to be more concrete e.g. about the Diet - and various other things! Parts of the entry literally write themselve if you have a closer look here...

For example in the Kaimun entry you find that "hobbits and mullogs hunt them for their skin, teeth, claws, and meat".

Or look at the Frent Mushroom: "The Frent Mushrooms have been recorded as poisonous to all races except mullogs, because of the mullogs’ exceptionally strong constitution and resistance to many poisons. Therefore, while most races avoid the Frents, the mullogs rely on them as a food source." Mullogs also eat the koeken fungus.

Mullogs also use blowpipes.

Watch out for swamp stalkers! "They will do this with any food they can catch, including little mullogs or hobbit children." - Oh, and there's a reference to the Mullog Chaos God at this entry... - so this might need to be adjusted!

The bogsnapper is used by the mullogs as "pack animal and a steed of sorts"...

And, and, and... - I'm sure there's a lot more to discover, thanx to the search function:D  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 9/19/05 20:49

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2005, 13:18:00 »

I understand, so I'll check out every entry the search-engine provides me with. And well, the blowpipes were something I should have remembered myself. If I recall correctly, I described them myself at the time.

Will post later with more integrated references.

KR,
Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2005, 12:43:00 »

Ah, very good that you've marked the changes:)  - And as I can see now the Diet section especially was expanded now a great deal, and is very through now and features a lot of references to the rest of the site - that's the way it should be, yay! :thumbup

We can also use the map of the Silvermarshes entry now at this entry to go with the Territory section, would fit very well methinks.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2005, 13:37:00 »

I'm glad you like it. Would you like all the other changes in orange as well, or later changes each having their own colour (as to easily spot the latest edit).

The map of the Silvermarshes would be a good way to mark their territory, although I wonder if it would be possible to zoom in a little bit further on the Wetholm region. That would be clearer when viewing the description of their territory.

KR,
Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2005, 14:32:00 »

Yup, another colour would be nice to see immediately what was new:) Hope you don't plan 20 more updates, because we'd run out of colours then... *hehe*

Map: The enlarged version of the Silvermarshes shows more details, so it would be possible to zoom in a bit and show such a version:)

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2005, 14:53:00 »

We'll just start recycling the colours then. ;)

Apart from the integration of other entries, has anyone any further suggestions concerning the entry?

And about the map. Would it be possible to get this particular section of it as the map of their territory?

KR,
Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2005, 15:17:00 »

Well, yeah, that was the idea, wasn't it? A zoom in on this part of the map.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 22 September 2005, 02:01:00 »

Theo, update is not this weekend, so if you could wait till Sunday, when hopefully things get quieter here again, then I will gladly read through it.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 September 2005, 09:16:00 »

Talia,

I'll gladly wait, I don't think there's any hurry here. Though I'll probably continue adding (minor) changes to the entry in the meantime.

Art,

Yes, but I actually intended to ask whether this piece of the map should also have "map-like" edges, and if it perhaps could be enlarged a bit without getting too "bloggy".

KR,
Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 22 September 2005, 12:44:00 »

I intended to have exactly the same map edges at this map, just zoomed in (as much as the enlarged version shows) - the enlarged version would be identical with the enlarged version of the Silvermarshes. When I play around with a Flash operated zoom in/out navigation will eventually lead to an interactive map system, but for now these kind of maps will have to suffice.

Zooming in further than you can see on the enlarged map isn't possible. The size of the map is also limited, as we have to take different screen resolution into account. This size I consider the maximum.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 9/21/05 20:45

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2005, 16:07:00 »

Theo, I have started, but this is pretty long!

Originally part of the Orcish race, Mullogs are now considered to be a wholly different race by themselves. Centuries of isolation from the rest of the world, combined with the harsh conditions of the Silvermarshes resulted in a revolutionary adaptation to their environment, until the point where the ties with their Orcish ancestry have become almost undetectable.
Generally avoiding contact with the rest of the world, the Mullogs have only a faint idea of the things going on outside their swamps. Similarly, the Mullogs themselves have become the subject of myths and legends told by other races inhabiting the areas surrounding the Silvermarshes and are referred to as “Swampdwellers”.

Theo, I‘m not sure about this, but quite some time ago (years) we talked about, that we don‘t have a evolution here on Caelereth, so no dinosaur fociles and so on.  Apart from that, I don‘t know, if people think in such long times and categories or are able to trace things back. Maybe it is not quite clear, that they are descendants of orcs? Maybe you write it better starting with the actual race and mention then rumours (which one can belief or not), that they were orcs in former times. One researchers may belief it, others not - for now, they don‘t act like orcs etc.... that could really be an argument , see this scull, and the belief..., the other: But what about how they live today, can a race change this much in its behaviour.. that is nothing for the overview of course, but for a researcher paragraph.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 9/23/05 0:17

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 September 2005, 00:13:00 »

Ah, yes, I see. That could make things complicated. However, the current theory of Orc/Hobbit procreation isn't that more plausible either.
I tried to solve things a bit in the updated Origin section:

Quote:
Origin: One strange thing about Mullogs is their origin. Even though they can communicate with their ancestors, it still is not completely clear where the Mullogs originate. What has been ascertained is that they are a relatively young race, which has evolved from the existing races. Mullogs attribute their existence to ancestors known to them as “The Great Ones”, which supports the theory that they derived from the Orcish race hundreds of years ago. However, other scholars maintain that a trace of Hobbits can be found in Mullogs as well. The fact that Mullogs can successfully procreate with Hobbits and produce fertile offspring has been stated as an argument in favour of this theory. The omission of Hobbits from the Mullog’s ancestral memory has been explained by assuming the Mullog’s shamanism was passed down from their Orcish ancestors, thus excluding Hobbits from the ancestral line, leaving only the Great Ones as ancient forefathers.

Thus, as it stands now, I let the Mullogs themselves belief they are descendants of some bigger race (Orcs), because they have ancestral ties with them. However, scholars think there must be Hobbit-influence as well, to explain the many differences (most importantly size) between Mullogs and Orcs. And so they have come up with a theory that tries to explain why the Mullogs themselves have no memory of the Halflings.

Of course, I could leave the Orcish-descendants idea and continue with the Orc/Halfling procreation, but then I need to formulate more factors that actually made that possible and more plausible.

KR,
Theodorus

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 26 September 2005, 14:58:00 »

Originally part of the Orcish race, Mullogs are now considered to be a wholly different race by themselves. Centuries of isolation from the rest of the world, combined with the harsh conditions of the Silvermarshes resulted in a revolutionary adaptation to their environment, until the point where the ties with their Orcish ancestry have become almost undetectable.
Generally avoiding contact with the rest of the world, the Mullogs have only a faint idea of the things going on outside their swamps. Similarly, the Mullogs themselves have become the subject of myths and legends told by other races inhabiting the areas surrounding the Silvermarshes and are referred to as “Swampdwellers”.

Appearance. Mullogs are a particularly small race, rarely exceeding one ped in height. Due to a lack of larger prey-animals, but an abundance of smaller prey, conditions in their environment favour smaller bodies. With slender but muscular bodies and a brown or greenish skin, they are appear somewhat like Imps, however, they display none of the Imp's evil behaviour. Although small in stature, Mullogs can convey a noble or charming image, depending on the occasion.
I can‘t follow you here - why are they small, they could live on many smaller animals as well as taller race. Maybe it is easier for them to cross and live in the swampy area than heavier people (who would drown more easily), and therefor they are light and small. And why do small and charming exclude each other normally? Maybe you want to say more: Despite their appearance which is not always pleasant to the human eye they can appear charming...etc
The Mullog's body is slightly out of proportion, because they have somewhat large heads compared to the rest of their body and because their arms are normally the same size as their legs. Nonetheless, they are able to display great dexterity and agility when moving through their home, the Silvermarshes, while they are simultaneously able to camouflage themselves within the terrain. Relatively large eyes, varying in colour from gray to brown, provide excellent central vision during daytime, but also quite good peripheral vision in the dark, which makes it slightly easier to discern between solid ground and bogs during night time. Still, Mullogs don't like to venture out at night, mainly because of the risk of running into Swamp Stalkers. During day time, it is possible for a Mullog to discern between a Stalker and a normal tree. At night however, it is not as easy to note the difference, and one might fall prey to this predating creature.
With sharp nails and teeth, Mullogs are able to hunt without the use of tools or weapons, although they prefer not doing so.

Living in hostile environmental conditions, Mullogs have developed a particularly well constitution over time. Though not completely immune to poisons or venoms, Mullogs still display great resistances against them. Having a thick, almost leather-like skin gives helps to remain warm during cold periods, but the lack of hair also prevents them from heating-up too much during the warmer times of the year.

Could you explain a bit better, why this environement helps them to resist venoms?

The differences between female and male Mullogs are few, but nonetheless distinctive. Usually, male Mullogs are almost completely hairless, while females tend to have accentuated brows. Furthermore, Mullog males display small veins of green within their eyes, a trait which is not existent among females. Aside from this, the only differences are the ordinary gender-related ones; males have a slightly more muscular stature and are somewhat taller, but the differences are only small.

Territory. The only region in the world where Mullogs reside are the Silvermarshes in the province of Nermeran, on the Sarvonian continent. They occupy the lower and southern part of the Silvermarshes, to which they refer themselves as Ga-lum-be, but to which Halflings refer as Wetholm. Living in these more hostile areas of the Marshes, they are only rarely disturbed by members of the other races, which is something the Mullogs are completely satisfied with. Their way of living allows them to live in places where none of the other races want to live, thus nullifying the need for expansion at other's expense.
Although not aggressive by nature, Mullogs have a great disliking of anyone trespassing on their territory. Due to incidents in the past, and their origin as refugees, Mullogs are fearful of the other races. Unless travelling in large groups, intruders in Mullog territory have a habit of "mystically" disappearing. There are, however, two exceptions to this way of guarding their territory. As a result, barges that move through Mullog territory to carry goods are well-manned and usually armed as well. Still, sometimes Mullogs lay traps for their visitors, designed to cause distraction and allow the Mullogs to steal goods from the barge while the crew is distracted, as Mullogs will never seek a direct confrontation.
For once, Mullogs will never intentionally harm a child, unless they are forced to do so. When a child somehow enters the Marshes and is found by Mullogs, they will try to return it to the nearest civilized outpost.
Secondly, refugees or hunted people will be allowed to pass freely, while their pursuers can expect trouble. However, it most be noted that on both occasions, Mullogs first tend to "listen to the spirits", to see if intervention is wise or not.

„There are, however, two exceptions to this way of guarding their territory.“ --Wrong place for this sentence, it belongs a bit farther down

Mode of living/habits. Not having access to any metal or ore deposits and living in a condition unfavourable to great structures, Mullogs have kept their way of living basic and simple. They construct their houses from wood, plants and clay, or reside within naturally formed caves. Due to its abundance, Lifereed is always used to build huts. Combined with clay, Lifereed forms the outer structure of a hut or shack, though it is sometimes used for the skeleton as well. Because of the durability and strength of Lifereed, Mullog buildings are well constructed and provide enduring shelter and protection from the hostile Silvermarshes. Once a new building needs to be constructed, whether it be a communal or private one, the whole community will assist in building it. This ensures the building is finished quite quickly, which is important, as good building conditions never last long.
Their equipment is made similarly to their homes; only from the most basic materials. Wooden sticks, sometimes reinforced with a stone point, serve as spears for the hunt. A trident or forked stick is used for fishing. Likewise, stone or wooden equipment is used to make tools such as hammers, axes and knives.
Mullogs make their clothes from the hides and skins of animals and might also use certain plants to make clothing.

Not everybody has read the silvermarsches before, and most know it only as being a swamp. Maybe add, that there are islands of firm ground inbetween, where are the caves?maybe they build their houses on beams put into the swampy ground? Hammers are out of what material - wood as well? What baout bones of animals?

Diet. Though humans consider most of the plants and fungi in the Silvermarshes to be inedible, Mullogs gather a wide range of them to provide themselves with nutrition. Fungi are carefully selected, lest the poisonous ones be eaten. Still, many of the poisons that affect humans or hobbits don’t seem to affect Mullogs, as their constitution has adapted greatly to the available food. As a result, fungi such as the Squilla or the Frent Mushroom constitute an important part of Mullog diet, while other races find it to be quite too poisonous to be edible. The Koeken is another highly valued mushroom, as it can be stored for quite some time, contrary to many other kinds of food. Thus, Mullogs always try to keep a certain amount of Koeken as a reserve, in case the community runs low on food for some reason.
Plants and herbs, such as younger pondpads, are gathered, but not cultivated. Because the natural growth of herbs and plants provides for sufficient food, Mullogs have never domesticated any of the plants they use. The abundance of Lifereed, provides them with enough harvestable plants to fill their storage.
There are however some animals that have been tamed or domesticated by Mullogs. They have, for instance, been able to occasionally tame some Bogsnappers. Although these creatures are not very large, they can still serve as a pack-animal for Mullogs, to assist them in transporting goods over longer distances. On rare occasions, Bogsnappers might even be used as steeds, but normally Mullogs rather rely on their own means of movement than being hauled around by an animal.
Another semi-domesticated animal is actually an insect; the Whistling Beetle. For Mullogs, insects constitute another important source of food, something which is rarely seen among other races. Although Whistling Beetles have recently been introduced as a delicacy in the outside world.
The domestication was possible because the shell of the beetles prevents them from crossing water. Mullogs created small ponds with little isles, where the beetles are kept, taken care for by children or elder people. This way, they cannot escape and be used by Mullogs whenever they see fit.
Fishing is another important source of food for Mullogs. Using spears, forks or tridents, they impale fishes or other water-dwelling animals, such as the Kyck-Kyck or Hollup. The same technique is also applied to small land-living animals, although there slings or blowpipes are also applied.
Most of the time, Mullogs hunt solitary and aim for smaller animals. However, every once in a while bigger hunting parties are formed and larger animals are hunted. In such hunting parties, Mullogs hunt for Kaimuns and Stilted Elks. The former are an important source of materials for Mullogs. Kaimun flesh can be eaten, and their skin, teeth and bones are used to make tools, clothes, equipment and sometimes decorative items.
Stilted Elks are not primarily hunted for their meat or hides, though these things are rather useful. Their massive size makes it hard for even a party of Mullogs to kill such a beast. However, the Elks sometimes trample through Mullog communities, thereby destroying houses, or eating their food supplies. To prevent this, Mullogs usually try to keep the vicinity of their community free of Elks.

Even though Mullogs have the ability to set traps, they do not use such things to catch animals. It seems that they consider hunting as a personal challenge between prey and hunter, and that settings traps are a way of “cheating”, and thus considered dishonourable. However, they do use traps to initiate in small “raids” on barges that pass through their territory. They either use the trap to make a small portion of the barges’ cargo fall into the water, or to create enough distraction for them to steal some things from the ship themselves. As the barges usually carry foodstuffs, they provide the Mullogs with more uncommon sorts of food, such as fruits or vegetables grown in Hobbit orchards, various kinds of wine, and with additional meat from the animals that the Mullogs hunt themselves as well. Wine is not consumed directly by Mullogs, as they are very susceptible to the influence of alcohol, but instead they may use it as a dye or for religious purposes such as sacrificial offerings.

Mullogs prepare and eat their meals with their entire family. After the hunt a few Mullogs prepare different types of food, so that each meal consists of fish, meat, fungi and vegetables, ensuring a varied diet. Meat and fish are usually roasted above an open campfire, but might be cooked into a stew with vegetables or fungi. The later two are usually cooked or stewed, but might occasionally be baked or roasted as well, depending on the type of ingredient.
If no fire is available, Mullogs can also eat their food raw without suffering any nauseating effects from this. However, they prefer to actually prepare their food, regarding this as one of the most important attributes of sentient creatures.
I don‘t know, how many trees are there in the swamps to make a fire with, but you might consider to use dried turf as well

Family, Society and Culture. At the core of Mullog society stands the family. The most basic and important things concerning the life of a Mullog are almost all family-related. This ranges from living together and ancestral worship to gathering food and celebrating rituals.
Each Mullog family consists of about thirty individuals, all part of the same family line. Five to ten of these families together make up a community. It is estimated that there exist about twenty of such communities, which together make up for the entire Mullog population.
Each community is usually led by a single shaman and a council of elders which is made up of the leader of each family. The daily affairs are handled by the shaman, while the council assembles on special occasions or events.

Mullog culture is not as sophisticated as the other races', but it still has some distinctive and interesting features. Although not excelling in it as real artists, Mullog family craftsmen are good sculptors and can create detailed figures from wood or clay with the most basic of instruments. These figures serve for religious or communal purposes, but some have found their way to the outside world as tokens given to trespassing refugees.
Also, there exists a lively oral tradition in Mullog society, where tales, myths and legends have been passed down from generation to generation. Storytelling, or the recital of poems is considered a craft and those who possess it are held in high regard.
Although being a skilled storyteller is not regarded as a separate profession, such as a bard,, it is still possible for an able storyteller to get relief from other communal duties, such as cooking or hunting in exchange for the recital of stories or poems during the evening-diner or on other occasions. When a celebration or religious ritual is being held communally, poets and storytellers recite stories and traditions of ancient times to explain the meaning and background of this particular event. And so, the poets are in a way the collective memory of the Mullogs, keeping their myths and legends alive through generations.
Because the content of the stories does not change drastically, the emphasis is more on the manner in which a story is told. Skilled poets and storytellers are recognized by their abilities to improvise on existing themes without altering the original work too much, and to keep the audience’s attention even though it has heard the story many times before.

An additional reason for the importance of oral traditions is the lack of written records. While Mullogs do use a rudimentary symbolic language, they have never created a formal written $cript* and thus never laid down their history. The lack of a formal $cript has been explained by the absence of reasons for such a way of communicating. The Mullog community is small, and therefore doesn’t need official administration of affairs that would require $cript. Ancestors from former generations can still be asked for their wisdom, and so there was never any need for writing important things down, as the ancestors and storytellers would be able to successfully maintain the collective knowledge of their history.
The only form of non-oral language consists of symbols Mullogs use to navigate through the swamp, or to leave messages for other Mullogs. For instance, if a treacherous bogpit is discovered up ahead, a passing Mullog will leave a warning sign on a tree to warn other Mullogs of danger. There exist a number of these symbols for various occasions, ranging from the presence of prey to possible disease among certain plants or trees. After a while, when a symbol has no longer any meaning, the first passing Mullog will erase or change it.

Beliefs. Mullog religion is made up of two central components; animism and ancestral worship. Their beliefs shaped by their environment, Mullogs know the existence of a spirit, or soul, within every creature, plant or object. Mullogs think even stones, or the water itself, has a spirit within it. Each spirit has its own attributes, consistent with the object it is bound to. Still, all spirits are elementary similar.
As an extension to their beliefs in spirits, Mullogs also belief that the spirits of their ancestors still watch over them, and are worthy of worshipping. Each Mullog family owns a family-altar where the ancestors are revered and where religious sacrifices are given. Mullogs can seek the counsel or guidance of their ancestors, which is mainly done by asking the ancestor to give a message through a dream.

At the centre of Mullog belief and worship stands the shaman. The shaman is the religious leader of a community, but most of the time also serves as the worldly leader and counsellor. The shaman provides spiritual counselling, performs rituals and occasionally acts as a seer. Each new shaman is chosen by the former one, who is told in dreams to select and adopt a pupil. This selection follows now particular pattern. Sometimes youngsters are chosen, sometimes adults. Both male and female Mullogs can be chosen as shaman.
The shaman's most important skill is what the Mullogs call "Ohs-er Dan", which is translated as "dreamtravel". This means the shaman goes into a deep meditative trance through which he is able to visit the spirit or ancestral world. There, he can communicate directly with the spirits or ancestors to seek information and answers to important questions. This enables a shaman to put from the vast knowledge of the spirits and ancestors and has on numerous occasions prevented disaster from striking the Mullog society.
You tell tis as a „fact“, however, I haven‘t seen a mullog writing down this entry, so you might formulate this a but more vague.. is valid for the following as well...

However, the shaman does not act as a constant intermediate between a Mullog and the world of the spirits. Although the shaman has special abilities and functions, all other Mullog are also capable of connecting themselves with the spirits around them, a skill which is passed on from parent to child. Thus, a Mullog listens to the spirits around him and seeks their counsel if necessary, finding his answers among the trees, brooks and stones.
And although Mullogs do believe the spirits to be neutral, they also believe they should always be treated with respect, lest they become angered. When the spirits have been angered, a Mullog believes he must in some way correct his offence against the spirits. In some cases, the shaman then acts as an intermediate or counsellor to correct the mistakes made.

Like the way you elaborated this, just make it a little bit more as seen from a distance. Maybe quote or better describe ,how a mullog told part of this a passing traveller

Origin: One strange thing about Mullogs is their origin. Even though they can communicate with their ancestors, it still is not completely clear where the Mullogs originate. What has been ascertained is that they are a relatively young race, which has evolved from the existing races. Mullogs attribute their existence to ancestors known to them as “The Great Ones”, which supports the theory that they derived from the Orcish race hundreds of years ago. However, other scholars maintain that a trace of Hobbits can be found in Mullogs as well. The fact that Mullogs can successfully procreate with Hobbits and produce fertile offspring has been stated as an argument in favour of this theory. The omission of Hobbits from the Mullog’s ancestral memory has been explained by assuming the Mullog’s shamanism was passed down from their Orcish ancestors, thus excluding Hobbits from the ancestral line, leaving only the Great Ones as ancient forefathers.

It‘s good like you describe it here, I thought you should adapt the overview in this direction - not knowing for sure, that the originate from the orcs

Researchers? some gossip/lore about them?

Ermm, btw - that‘s a good entry , nearly forgot to say that! ;)

Maybe  I have one or the other idea later, now that I have read it..

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 September 2005, 14:43:00 »

Quote:
I can‘t follow you here - why are they small, they could live on many smaller animals as well as taller race. Maybe it is easier for them to cross and live in the swampy area than heavier people (who would drown more easily), and therefor they are light and small. And why do small and charming exclude each other normally? Maybe you want to say more: Despite their appearance which is not always pleasant to the human eye they can appear charming...etc

My assumption was that in an environment were food is generally available in the form of small prey animals, smaller predators would have an advantage. This is because it's more efficient for a predator to hunt prey if about it's own size. You don't see wolves living off mice, for instance.
Orcs would have to hunt a lot to get enough food from small animals, and that would make them inefficient. Smaller races, such as Mullogs, would be able to do with a much smaller amount of prey and thus wouldn't need to spend as much time (and energy!) on hunting.
Generally, it is my explanation for the fact that the original Orcs didn't survive somehow, and the smaller Mullogs did.
And well, about the charming appearance, I meant that to be related to general human ideas of nobility and charm.

Quote:
Could you explain a bit better, why this environement helps them to resist venoms?

I'd thought their immune-system would develop a strong defence against venoms and toxins because it had been in contact with those from birth on.I figured that at a certain point, Mullogs would (have to) get used to their poisonous environment, or otherwise they wouldn't survive.
It's actually the same as on earth. African people are mostly immune to diseases that are present there, while an European travelling there has to vaccinated beforehand.

Quote:
„There are, however, two exceptions to this way of guarding their territory.“ --Wrong place for this sentence, it belongs a bit farther down

Yes, I noticed. I screwed up a bit while adding more stuff on the bargeraids.

Quote:
Not everybody has read the silvermarsches before, and most know it only as being a swamp. Maybe add, that there are islands of firm ground inbetween, where are the caves?maybe they build their houses on beams put into the swampy ground? Hammers are out of what material - wood as well? What baout bones of animals?

Indeed forgot to add the use of bones as tools here, though I think I did mention it somewhere in the Diet section.
But no houses on poles here, just shacks. However, I'll add something about the structure of the Silvermarshes there. The area in which they live is simply too big to be absolute depleted of any solid ground or cave-like things.

Quote:
I don‘t know, how many trees are there in the swamps to make a fire with, but you might consider to use dried turf as well

I suppose there are some trees, but the idea of dried turf is actually a very good one. I'll add it. Thank you. :number1

Quote:
You tell tis as a „fact“, however, I haven‘t seen a mullog writing down this entry, so you might formulate this a but more vague.. is valid for the following as well...

True, however, there seems to be a half Mullog/Hobbit character described somewhere, who could have provided this information. Otherwise, I'd have to connect my own character with the Mullogs, or invent a new one to provide this information. If there wouldn't be a real source, most of what I've written would've been unknown.

Quote:
Like the way you elaborated this, just make it a little bit more as seen from a distance. Maybe quote or better describe ,how a mullog told part of this a passing traveller

See above comment.

Quote:
It‘s good like you describe it here, I thought you should adapt the overview in this direction - not knowing for sure, that the originate from the orcs

True. I hadn't done that yet because I added the origin later. However, I'll change the overview the next time.

I will get to this soon, and incorporate some of the other ideas I want to add myself (such as language and the structure of families). And I'm very grateful for your comments. I appreciate you take the time to read through the entire entry so carefully and comment on it.

KR,
Theodorus

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 September 2005, 14:51:00 »

Additional note: The Mullog/Hobbit I referred to seems to be somebody called Lumbe Bloggeson, who appearently worked together with F'Ash the Archivist some time. She could have provided the information, however no entry on her exists at this time.

KR,
Theodorus

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]