Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Mullog Redesign  (Read 14343 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 29 September 2005, 02:11:00 »

Theo, you had good reasons to my arguments (first half), but maybe add this(the explanation) to the entry in a shorter form as well.

If you are entirely done, ring me again, the rest is Art's work !
Maybe you use another color for new additions?? ;)  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 29 September 2005, 04:38:00 »

Yeah, looks all already pretty thorough and complete, Theo:)  So if you're done just say so, then perhaps we can already put it all up this update:D  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 September 2005, 09:21:00 »

I don't expect it to be ready before this update. Mainly because lack of proper time to write things together, but also because I'm myself not yet completely satisfied with it. So I'll take some more time to improve it until I like it enough myself.

KR,
Theodorus

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 06 October 2005, 03:11:00 »

Darn, after I commented on your mullog entry, I read  the history part of the Silvermarshes. So now most of my comments are obsolet and you can keep what you have, regarding what we know about their orighine. Having spend a lot of time with it, I show it to you nevertheless. I don‘‘t now, if it is reasonable to place the migration there so „late“ . At least, it is not „lost in mist“ then.

Quote:
The Lower Marshes were not settled until after 288 b.S., when some halflings and orcs moved into the area. They began to intermarry with each other and have offspring, eventually creating the mullog race, which settled in the Lower Marsh. This crossbreed was looked on with great disfavour by the other races and so mullogs learned to be wary and cautious of any "otherfolk".

A relatively new race in the world of Caelereth, Mullogs are thought to derive from both Orcs and Hobbits. The exact conditions which led to their existence have been lost in the mists of time, but there is reasonable agreement that they have been shaped thoroughly by their home. Centuries of isolation from the rest of the world, combined with the harsh conditions of the Silvermarshes resulted in a revolutionary adaptation to their environment, until the point where the ties with their Orcish ancestry have become almost undetectable.
Generally avoiding contact with the rest of the world, the Mullogs have only a faint idea of the things going on outside their swamps. Similarly, the Mullogs themselves have become the subject of myths and legends told by other races inhabiting the areas surrounding the Silvermarshes and are referred to as “Swampdwellers”.

Theo,  this part is well written, but I feel a bit unwell with it nevertheless, it sounds like a perfect essay for your school. It sounds a bit too  „scientific“, the ‚revolutionary adaption‘ and so on. I doubt, that the people think about times, where no mullogs existed. You have no history, so I don‘t know, when you think the mullogs migrated into the silvermarshes - or thier anchesters, how and when some hobbit blood came in.The people in Caelereth don‘t know anything about evolution and how the environemnt shapes the people. maybe do it a bit more vague? let‘s give me a try:

Though the Mullogs live in the Silvermarches as long as any of the adjacent tribes of Humans and Hobbits can think back, they are thought to derive from both, Orcs and Hobbits. The {you can‘t have exact...anyway} conditions which led to their existence and when the migration into the swamps happened have been lost in the mists of time, but there is reasonable agreement that they have been shaped thoroughly by their home. Most possibly many thousand years of isolation from the rest of the world, combined with the harsh conditions of the Silvermarshes resulted in a revolutionary adaptation to their environment, until the point where the ties with their Orcish ancestry have become almost undetectable.

maybe revulotionary adaption sounds only in my ears so modern, don‘t know, if unsurpassed assimilation is any better.
I changed the timespan, for if you take only centuries, it would be a historical event, so you have to prolong this. When did this take place? When did the hobbits arise? 3000bS - were there no Hobbits before?

Appearance. Mullogs are a particularly small race, rarely exceeding one ped in height. Due to a lack of larger prey-animals, but an abundance of smaller prey, conditions in their environment favour smaller bodies.
Theo, I still don‘t believe this, whales are quite big and live on krill! f there is an abundance of smaller animals, they could just eat more, for they are easy to catch as well. Either there is not enough to eat here, or other conditions favour small bodies.

While people of larger stature would have to invest a lot of time and energy into getting enough food, Mullogs can do with less, and can thus spend their time more efficient, giving them an edge at hunting and gathering. With slender but muscular bodies and a brown or greenish skin, they are appear somewhat like Imps, however, they display none of the Imp's evil behaviour. Although small in stature, Mullogs can even convey a noble or charming image to human standards, depending on the occasion.
The Mullog's body is slightly out of proportion, because they have somewhat large heads compared to the rest of their body and because their arms are normally the same size as their legs. Nonetheless, they are able to display great dexterity and agility when moving through their home, the Silvermarshes, while they are at the same time able to camouflage themselves within the terrain. Relatively large eyes, varying in colour from gray to brown, provide excellent central vision during daytime, but also quite good peripheral vision in the dark, which makes it slightly easier to discern between solid ground and bogs during night time. Still, Mullogs don't like to venture out at night, mainly because of the risk of running into Swamp Stalkers. During day time, it is possible for a Mullog to discern between a Stalker and a normal tree. At night however, it is not as easy to note the difference, and one might fall prey to this predating creature.
With sharp nails and teeth, Mullogs are able to hunt without the use of tools or weapons, although they prefer not doing so.

Do you have a persons entry already? You would be a scientist famous for is precise terminolgy which is centuries ahead for his contemporans !

Living in a hostile ennvironement , Mullogs have developed a particularly well constitution over time. Though not completely immune to poisons or venoms, Mullogs still display great resistances against them. It is believed this is due to exposure to aggressive agents from birth. Only the strong and resilient Mullogs survived, providing them with a resistant bloodline. Also, it has been suggested that individuals develop resistances against poisons and venoms when the doses they receive gradually increase from birth on, as is the case with Mullogs. Having a thick, almost leather-like skin also serves as a natural means of protection against environmental hostilities[/font] and helps to remain warm during cold periods, but the lack of hair also prevents them from heating-up too much during the warmer times of the year.
Ha, Darwin again!This should be under abilites, not appearance.
The differences between female and male Mullogs are few, but nonetheless distinctive. Usually, male Mullogs are almost completely hairless, while females tend to have accentuated brows. Furthermore, Mullog males display small veins of green within their eyes, a trait which is not existent among females. Aside from this, the only differences are the ordinary gender-related ones; males have a slightly more muscular stature and are somewhat taller, but the differences are only small.
Are these brows a sign of beauty??

Territory. The only region in the world where Mullogs reside are the Silvermarshes in the province of Nermeran, on the Sarvonian continent. They occupy the lower and southern part of the Silvermarshes, to which they refer themselves as Ga-lum-be, but to which Halflings refer as Wetholm. Living in these more hostile areas of the Marshes, they are only rarely disturbed by members of the other races, which is something the Mullogs are completely satisfied with. Their way of living allows them to live in places where none of the other races want to live, thus nullifying the need for expansion at other's expense.
Is the „0“ already invented? I‘m just nitpicking...lol
Within their territory, Mullogs construct their villages and hamlet scattered among the more solid islands that exist within the Silvermarshes. Though not very large, these islands still provide enough space for a few houses and communal buildings to be constructed. The island’s higher ground is vital, as it does not only allow the construction of proper buildings, but also provides a basic protection from carnivorous water dwellers and poisonous mists that sometimes float above more boggy areas.
Although not aggressive by nature, Mullogs have a great disliking of anyone trespassing on their territory. Due to incidents in the past, and their origin as refugees, Do they still remember it? How? Lore?Mullogs are fearful of the other races. Unless travelling in large groups, intruders in Mullog territory have a habit of "mystically" disappearing. There are, however, two exceptions to this way of guarding their territory. As a result, barges that move through Mullog territory to carry goods are well-manned and usually armed as well. Still, sometimes Mullogs lay traps for their visitors, designed to cause distraction and allow the Mullogs to steal goods from the barge while the crew is distracted, as Mullogs will never seek a direct confrontation.
For once, Mullogs will never intentionally harm a child, Why?because of size? unless they are forced to do so. When a child somehow enters the Marshes and is found by Mullogs, they will try to return it to the nearest civilized outpost.
Secondly, refugees or hunted people will be allowed to pass freely, while their pursuers can expect trouble. However, it most be noted that on both occasions, Mullogs first tend to "listen to the spirits", to see if intervention is wise or not. How do they know, that there is a hunted person or a refuge? why does their fate bother them? It is a nice characteristic, I know

Mode of living/habits. Not having access to any metal or ore deposits and living in a condition unfavourable to great structures, Mullogs have kept their way of living basic and simple. They construct their houses from wood, plants and clay, or reside within naturally formed caves. Are there caves in the silvermarsches? I don‘t know, if you should not take out the clay, for it won‘t work in such a wet surrounding, even if you have some claypit there. Clay is a building material for dry regions.Due to its abundance, Lifereed is always used to build huts. Combined with clay, Lifereed forms the outer structure of a hut or shack, though it is sometimes used for the skeleton as well. Because of the durability and strength of Lifereed, Mullog buildings are well constructed and provide enduring shelter and protection from the hostile Silvermarshes. Once a new building needs to be constructed, whether it be a communal or private one, the whole community will assist in building it. This ensures the building is finished quite quickly, which is important, as good building conditions never last long.
Their equipment is made similarly to their homes; only from the most basic materials. Wooden sticks, sometimes reinforced with a stone or bone point, serve as spears for the hunt. A trident or forked stick is used for fishing. Likewise, stone, bone or wooden equipment is used to make tools such as hammers, axes and knives.
Mullogs make their clothes from the hides and skins of animals and might also use certain plants to make clothing.
Another important resource for Mullogs is dried turf. Taken from certain parts of the Silvermarshes, peat bog is stored and dried during the warmer seasons and used as a fuel for fire. Even though there are trees present in the marshes, these are usually too wet and moist to be suitable for making fire. Instead, dried turf provides a workable alternative, though it requires somewhat more labour to make it usable, turf is much easier to use and more abundant than wood.
From clay, Mullogs create pots and urns, mainly for storing food or other household articles. Again, clay in the silvermarsches? I doubt that, but you they could have evolved an art of weaving pots and cups to tight, that no water flows through it. You can boild water in a wet leather bag, as long as there is enouhg fluid in it.. etc.. The basket can made watertight with resin..etc.. Small statues or talismans are also created from clay, though these do not serve as luxury goods, but more as either religious or communal articles. See above, or use your single clay pit for statues only, what about that? More consistent would be if they were made out of other materials as well. The clay will not stay long in form and for burning it you need a very hot fie and a lot of material to burn.For instance, the marriage between two Mullogs might be affirmed by both families handing over small talismans to the newly wed couple, thereby promising to accept the couple as part of the family.

Diet. Though humans consider most of the plants and fungi in the Silvermarshes to be inedible, Mullogs gather a wide range of them to provide themselves with nutrition. Fungi are carefully selected, lest the poisonous ones be eaten. Still, many of the poisons that affect humans or hobbits don’t seem to affect Mullogs, as their constitution has adapted greatly to the available food. As a result, fungi such as the Squilla or the Frent Mushroom constitute an important part of Mullog diet, while other races find it to be quite too poisonous to be edible. The Koeken is another highly valued mushroom, as it can be stored for quite some time, contrary to many other kinds of food. Thus, Mullogs always try to keep a certain amount of Koeken as a reserve, in case the community runs low on food for some reason.
Plants and herbs, such as younger pondpads, are gathered, but not cultivated. Because the natural growth of herbs and plants provides for sufficient food, Mullogs have never domesticated any of the plants they use. The abundance of Lifereed, provides them with enough harvestable plants to fill their storage.
There are however some animals that have been tamed or domesticated by Mullogs. They have, for instance, been able to occasionally tame some Bogsnappers. Although these creatures are not very large, they can still serve as a pack-animal for Mullogs, to assist them in transporting goods over longer distances. On rare occasions, Bogsnappers might even be used as steeds, but normally Mullogs rather rely on their own means of movement than being hauled around by an animal.
Another semi-domesticated animal is actually an insect; the Whistling Beetle. For Mullogs, insects constitute another important source of food, something which is rarely seen among other races. Although Whistling Beetles have recently been introduced as a delicacy in the outside world.
The domestication was possible because the shell of the beetles prevents them from crossing water. Mullogs created small ponds with little isles, where the beetles are kept, taken care for by children or elder people. This way, they cannot escape and be used by Mullogs whenever they see fit.
Fishing is another important source of food for Mullogs. Using spears, forks or tridents, they impale fishes or other water-dwelling animals, such as the Kyck-Kyck or Hollup. The same technique is also applied to small land-living animals, although there slings or blowpipes are also applied.
Most of the time, Mullogs hunt solitary and aim for smaller animals. However, every once in a while bigger hunting parties are formed and larger animals are hunted. In such hunting parties, Mullogs hunt for Kaimuns and Stilted Elks. The former are an important source of materials for Mullogs. Kaimun flesh can be eaten, and their skin, teeth and bones are used to make tools, clothes, equipment and sometimes decorative items.
Stilted Elks are not primarily hunted for their meat or hides, though these things are rather useful. Their massive size makes it hard for even a party of Mullogs to kill such a beast. However, the Elks sometimes trample through Mullog communities, thereby destroying houses, or eating their food supplies. To prevent this, Mullogs usually try to keep the vicinity of their community free of Elks.

Even though Mullogs have the ability to set traps, they do not use such things to catch animals. It seems that they consider hunting as a personal challenge between prey and hunter, and that settings traps are a way of “cheating”, and thus considered dishonourable. However, they do use traps to initiate in small “raids” on barges that pass through their territory. They either use the trap to make a small portion of the barges’ cargo fall into the water, or to create enough distraction for them to steal some things from the ship themselves. As the barges usually carry foodstuffs, they provide the Mullogs with more uncommon sorts of food, such as fruits or vegetables grown in Hobbit orchards, various kinds of wine, and with additional meat from the animals that the Mullogs hunt themselves as well. Wine is not consumed directly by Mullogs, as they are very susceptible to the influence of alcohol, but instead they may use it as a dye or for religious purposes such as sacrificial offerings.EzCode Parsing Error: color=#333999]What if they are running out of wine, if they need it for their religious purpose?EzCode Parsing Error:]

Mullogs prepare and eat their meals with their entire family. After the hunt a few Mullogs prepare different types of food, so that each meal consists of fish, meat, fungi and vegetables, ensuring a varied diet. Meat and fish are usually roasted above an open campfire, but might be cooked into a stew with vegetables or fungi. The later two are usually cooked or stewed, but might occasionally be baked or roasted as well, depending on the type of ingredient.
If no fire is available, Mullogs can also eat their food raw without suffering any nauseating effects from this. However, they prefer to actually prepare their food, regarding this as one of the most important attributes of sentient creatures.

Family, Society and Culture. At the core of Mullog society stands the family. The most basic and important things concerning the life of a Mullog are almost all family-related. This ranges from living together and ancestral worship to gathering food and celebrating rituals.
Each Mullog family consists of about thirty individuals, all part of the same family line. Five to ten of these families together make up a community. It is estimated that there exist about twenty of such communities, which together make up for the entire Mullog population.
Each community is usually led by a single shaman and a council of elders which is made up of the leader of each family. The daily affairs are handled by the shaman, while the council assembles on special occasions or events.

Mullog culture is not as sophisticated as the other races', but it still has some distinctive and interesting features. Although not excelling in it as real artists, Mullog family craftsmen are good sculptors and can create detailed figures from wood or clay with the most basic of instruments. These figures serve for religious or communal purposes, but some have found their way to the outside world as tokens given to trespassing refugees.
Also, there exists a lively oral tradition in Mullog society, where tales, myths and legends have been passed down from generation to generation. Storytelling, or the recital of poems is considered a craft and those who possess it are held in high regard.
Although being a skilled storyteller is not regarded as a separate profession, such as a bard,, it is still possible for an able storyteller to get relief from other communal duties, such as cooking or hunting in exchange for the recital of stories or poems during the evening-diner or on other occasions. When a celebration or religious ritual is being held communally, poets and storytellers recite stories and traditions of ancient times to explain the meaning and background of this particular event. And so, the poets are in a way the collective memory of the Mullogs, keeping their myths and legends alive through generations.
Because the content of the stories does not change drastically, the emphasis is more on the manner in which a story is told. Skilled poets and storytellers are recognized by their abilities to improvise on existing themes without altering the original work too much, and to keep the audience’s attention even though it has heard the story many times before.

An additional reason for the importance of oral traditions is the lack of written records. While Mullogs do use a rudimentary symbolic language, they have never created a formal written $cript* and thus never laid down their history. The lack of a formal $cript has been explained by the absence of reasons for such a way of communicating. The Mullog community is small, and therefore doesn’t need official administration of affairs that would require $cript. Ancestors from former generations can still be asked for their wisdom, and so there was never any need for writing important things down, as the ancestors and storytellers would be able to successfully maintain the collective knowledge of their history.
The only form of non-oral language consists of symbols Mullogs use to navigate through the swamp, or to leave messages for other Mullogs. For instance, if a treacherous bogpit is discovered up ahead, a passing Mullog will leave a warning sign on a tree to warn other Mullogs of danger. There exist a number of these symbols for various occasions, ranging from the presence of prey to possible disease among certain plants or trees. After a while, when a symbol has no longer any meaning, the first passing Mullog will erase or change it.

The language itself consists of a set of common used words that denominate the most important aspects of Mullog life. Other words are constructed by either combining these existing words, or by altering the stress and intonation of it.
For instance, the Mullog word for hunting is “Úhmbë”, with “Uhm” as the stressed syllable and pronounced with the tone slightly increasing. The word used for hunter is then “Uhmmbe”, with more stress on the “hmm” and again with the tone increasing slightly. And the word for prey is formed by using the same root, but now stressing the last syllable and pronouncing it while changing the tone from high to low, thus saying “Uhmbê”.
Due to this heavy reliance upon understanding of tonal pronunciation, Mullog language is quite hard to understand for outsiders, thus creating yet another barrier between the Mullogs and the rest of the world. However, there are a few known cases in which children of mixed birth, being both Mullog and Hobbit, have had the opportunity to learn both Mullog and Tharian, which enabled them to function as translators*.

EzCode Parsing Error: color=#333999]How can this happen, why would a hobbit have intercourse with a mullog or

Beliefs. Mullog religion is made up of two central components; animism and ancestral worship. Their beliefs shaped by their environment, Mullogs know the existence of a spirit, or soul, within every creature, plant or object. Mullogs think even stones, or the water itself, has a spirit within it. Each spirit has its own attributes, consistent with the object it is bound to. Still, all spirits are elementary similar.
As an extension to their beliefs in spirits, Mullogs also belief that the spirits of their ancestors still watch over them, and are worthy of worshipping. Each Mullog family owns a family-altar where the ancestors are revered and where religious sacrifices are given. Mullogs can seek the counsel or guidance of their ancestors, which is mainly done by asking the ancestor to give a message through a dream.

At the centre of Mullog belief and worship stands the shaman. The shaman is the religious leader of a community, but most of the time also serves as the worldly leader and counsellor. The shaman provides spiritual counselling, performs rituals and occasionally acts as a seer. Each new shaman is chosen by the former one, who is told in dreams to select and adopt a pupil. This selection follows now particular pattern. Sometimes youngsters are chosen, sometimes adults. Both male and female Mullogs can be chosen as shaman.
The shaman's most important skill is what the Mullogs call "Ohs-er Dan", which is translated as "dreamtravel". This means the shaman goes into a deep meditative trance through which he is able to visit the spirit or ancestral world. There, he can communicate directly with the spirits or ancestors to seek information and answers to important questions. This enables a shaman to put from the vast knowledge of the spirits and ancestors and has on numerous occasions prevented disaster from striking the Mullog society.

However, the shaman does not act as a constant intermediate between a Mullog and the world of the spirits. Although the shaman has special abilities and functions, all other Mullog are also capable of connecting themselves with the spirits around them, a skill which is passed on from parent to child. Thus, a Mullog listens to the spirits around him and seeks their counsel if necessary, finding his answers among the trees, brooks and stones.
And although Mullogs do believe the spirits to be neutral, they also believe they should always be treated with respect, lest they become angered. When the spirits have been angered, a Mullog believes he must in some way correct his offence against the spirits. In some cases, the shaman then acts as an intermediate or counsellor to correct the mistakes made.

Origin: One strange thing about Mullogs is their origin. Even though they can communicate with their ancestors, it still is not completely clear where the Mullogs originate. What has been ascertained is that they are a relatively young race, which has evolved from the existing races. Mullogs attribute their existence to ancestors known to them as “The Great Ones”, which supports the theory that they derived from the Orcish race hundreds of years ago. However, other scholars maintain that a trace of Hobbits can be found in Mullogs as well. The fact that Mullogs can successfully procreate with Hobbits and produce fertile offspring has been stated as an argument in favour of this theory. The omission of Hobbits from the Mullog’s ancestral memory has been explained by assuming the Mullog’s shamanism was passed down from their Orcish ancestors, thus excluding Hobbits from the ancestral line, leaving only the Great Ones as ancient forefathers.

Sounds good, but a mere 1800 years migth not suffice..

Researchers: Much of the research on Mullogs was performed by Lumbe Bloggson, himself half Mullog half Hobbit. His ability to speak Mullog language enabled him to perform as a translator at the rare occasions when contact between Mullogs and Hobbits was sought. More important however was his lineage to a Mullog family, which has given him the chance to visit them freely and participate in Mullog social affairs.
There are other scholars as well, who either studied Mullogs by collecting all available information on them and storing it, or were at some time able to visit the Mullog communities themselves. The combined reports of these people have provided for a reasonable accurate de*****ion of the Mullog way of living.

*Author's note: A rightward accent (á) is used to indicate the stressed syllable. A trema (ä) is used to indicate a rise in tone, while an accent circumflex (â) is used for a fall in tone. Both signs to indicate the tone are placed on the last syllable of a word.
In the event that the last syllable is also the stressed syllable, the rightward accent is used for a rise in tone, while the leftward accent (à) is used to indicate fall in tone.

Theo, it is always dangerous to ask me for a revision, for I find something with every reread - that is why I take so long with my own entires as well, adding stuff all the time.

I think, what has to be cleared is, if their migration into the swamps has to be just 1800 years ago, or if it could have happened longer. Otherwise you have to take out the „mists“ and the speculations and keep it as you had it (soften the scientific touch nevertheless!

A fine entry and despite my many comments nearly finished! Good work, Theo!

A last remark to the clay/waeving with lifereed - you could make them special with an extraordinary skill for weaving watertight bags/windtight walls  or making artistic objects with them (diffent weaving styles and /or colours, then you don't need clay

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 October 2005, 11:11:00 »

Quote:
Darn, after I commented on your mullog entry, I read the history part of the Silvermarshes. So now most of my comments are obsolet and you can keep what you have, regarding what we know about their orighine. Having spend a lot of time with it, I show it to you nevertheless. I don‘‘t now, if it is reasonable to place the migration there so „late“ . At least, it is not „lost in mist“ then.

Then I'll answer your comments nonetheless. But if I understand you correctly, you think 1800 years would not be enough for a race to see it's history as a distant memory.
Well, I don't know. Look for instance at the decline of the Roman Empire and the start of the Middle Ages. After 1500 years, almost everyone had forgotten who their ancestors were.
Thus, I think it is possible for something that happened 1800 years ago to be a little vague. Certainly if you consider they have no written history.
But well, we can of course clear away the speculations, makes things just easier in the end.

Quote:
Theo, this part is well written, but I feel a bit unwell with it nevertheless, it sounds like a perfect essay for your school. It sounds a bit too „scientific“, the ‚revolutionary adaption‘ and so on. I doubt, that the people think about times, where no mullogs existed. You have no history, so I don‘t know, when you think the mullogs migrated into the silvermarshes - or thier anchesters, how and when some hobbit blood came in.The people in Caelereth don‘t know anything about evolution and how the environemnt shapes the people. maybe do it a bit more vague? let‘s give me a try:

Don't forget, it's university now. :b
But, well. I don't think "revolutionary adaptation" is too scientific. Although "drastic changes" could be a replacement. And I assume the history is still valid (as I made it partially up myself when I wrote the first Mullog entry).
About evolution and such. Keep in mind that it doesn't really needs to describe what happens to the Mullogs, but merely describe a process in which the Orcs and Hobbits eventually disappeared, and the Mullogs remained.
And, considering the variety of races living in places that fit them, I think the people of Caelereth (at least the scholars) would have some idea of a connection between the kind of people living in a certain kind of environment.

Quote:
heo, I still don‘t believe this, whales are quite big and live on krill! f there is an abundance of smaller animals, they could just eat more, for they are easy to catch as well. Either there is not enough to eat here, or other conditions favour small bodies.

True, but in the ocean, you can just swim around and the krill will just float into your mouth (being a whale). However, on land, you have to really hunt creatures you want to eat. (Because the equivalent of a dodo wouldn't survive anyway).
Larger predators need more food, so they need to hunt more. Of course they can hunt more, but in an environment where most larger animals are predators themselves, and prey-animals are usually large, it's better to be a bit smaller.
It makes you probably faster, you need less food and thus need to spent less time hunting.
Being large gives you an edge when trying to predate on larger prey, but that isn't available.

Quote:
Do you have a persons entry already? You would be a scientist famous for is precise terminolgy which is centuries ahead for his contemporans !

Perhaps, I'll consider it. However, what I thought about scientific writing. Why is it discouraged. After all, isn't writing with these speculations intact a post-modern trait? Didn't medieval scholars state their ideas and opinions as facts? Because they thought they were facts.
Isn't the idea that you should display all the uncertainties in your report more modern than stating things as facts?
I'm just wondering here.

Quote:
Ha, Darwin again!This should be under abilites, not appearance.

I haven't specified a section for abilities, and I'm a bit reluctant to create it merely for this particular section.
And again, this could be observed by medievel scholars as well. Just think of a comparison between people/animals living in cold and hot regions.

Quote:
Are these brows a sign of beauty??

If you want them to be. :)

Quote:
Are there caves in the silvermarsches? I don‘t know, if you should not take out the clay, for it won‘t work in such a wet surrounding, even if you have some claypit there. Clay is a building material for dry regions

That's true. Perhaps I should take them out and replace them by better weaving skills. Or I can try to come up with some original other resource. I'll think about that.

KR,
Theodorus

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 07 October 2005, 12:34:00 »

This woiuld have been much easier discussed in a Santhmoot discussion *sigh*

I don't have to add much anyway. The only thing is, that the mullogs may have no history, but unless the roman empire and the "dark middleages", history in santharia seems quite a reliable source.

Another thought occured to me: If these people(orcs-hobbits?) migrated into the silvermarshes so late - there might be some sources about the "why" and "how" the race formed.
"why " did the orcs go there? - No idea

"why" did they mix with hobbits? - maybe there was a group of just male orcs, who went there and wanted to stay there or were forced to, but living without any females around it did not work out - and so they went on raids outside their swamps and hobbits were the nearest what they could find? Just un unreflected idea, "why" hobbits should mate with orcs.

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 October 2005, 14:18:00 »

Well, of course it is no problem to add a sensible history and clear away the mists. However, that was something I added because of the "Santharian uncertainty principle".

About the reasons for Orcs procreating with Hobbits, and how the Hobbits got there. There is actually history for this.

How the Hobbits got into the Silvermarshes

The Orcs got there during some war, which I cannot recall now, but stayed there I believe because they refused to fight any further and were regarded as deserters and would have been killed by their kin.
They fled into the Silvermarhes.
At the time of the first entry I assumed some Hobbit/Orc mixes would eventually occur, but that was partially because I supposed that the Hobbits would have by then lost much of their "Hobbitness".
However, seeing evolution is not really a part of Santharia, we can change this to having the Orcs raiding Hobbit females to procreate, as the Orcish soldiers would probably not have had any females with them. From these rapes then the first Mullogs would be born.

Also, something I think I forgot to mention in my previous reply. You asked why a Hobbit would procreate with a Mullog.
Well, to be honest, I don't know, but this particular person already existed. There is no entry on him, but he is mentioned a few times, though I don't know who created him.

I hope this satisfies your questions.

KR,
Theodorus

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 October 2005, 14:31:00 »

Quote:
Do they still remember it? How? Lore?

If we suppose that the Mullogs can retain enough of their history through oral traditions and contact with their ancestors, this might explain why they know these things. Also, if we would adopt the idea of the Orcs raping the Hobbits to force procreation, there is no longer any need to "cloud" their origin, and it would mark them as a race of being abused by "outsiders". First the Hobbits are slaughtered by humans, then they are raped by Orcs.

Quote:
Why?because of size?

Partially,  yes, but also because they consider children to be innocent. They would hide themselves from children if it wouldn't need to be guided out of the Marshes. But Mullogs revere life, and consider it to be a savage act to slay a child.

Quote:
How do they know, that there is a hunted person or a refuge? why does their fate bother them? It is a nice characteristic, I know

They know if a person is a refugee because the spirits will tell them. That's why they consult the spirits around them before taking any action.
And they protect refugees because they still feel sort of refugees themselves.

Quote:
Are there caves in the silvermarsches?

I don't know, but I could omit that part.

Quote:
I don‘t know, if you should not take out the clay, for it won‘t work in such a wet surrounding, even if you have some claypit there. Clay is a building material for dry regions.

True, clay will be omitted. I'll ponder on an alternative.

Quote:
EzCode Parsing Error: color=#333999]What if they are running out of wine, if they need it for their religious purpose?EzCode Parsing Error:]

They don't really need it, but they use it for religious purposes because for them it has no mundane use. If they run out of wine, they would sacrifice other special goods.

Quote:
EzCode Parsing Error: color=#333999]How can this happen, why would a hobbit have intercourse with a mullog or

Your comment partially disappeared here. However, on the first part of your question. I don't really know why Hobbits would have intercourse with a Mullog (other than they might have fallen in love for some reason), but the fact is that somebody has described such a person, so this Lumbe Bloggsonn really exists already.

Quote:
Theo, it is always dangerous to ask me for a revision, for I find something with every reread - that is why I take so long with my own entires as well, adding stuff all the time.

That's actually good. If I want to become a full member here again, I need to relearn how things worked around here. Having somebody scrutinze my entries is the perfect way to get used to writing these things.

Also, I'd like to hear your opinion on their language. I'm not used to developing languages, so I feel like I need some feedback on it, to see if I developed it appropriately.

KR,
Theodorus

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 07 October 2005, 14:41:00 »

Theo, sorry, but I can't help you with the language, for I'm terrible bad with all what concerns languages (I think I have still my trauma from having to learn so many despite i was always bad)
But ask Ishmaelion, he is KEEN on doing such things ;)  

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 October 2005, 23:46:00 »

But did the other answers on your questions satisfy you? Because then I can rewrite those parts of the entry, change a few things, and come up with the second final entry. :rollin

KR,
Theodorus

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 08 October 2005, 00:32:00 »

Yes, they did, Theo!

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 October 2005, 01:14:00 »

Good, then I'll edit the entry in accordance with your latests comments and propose it as the final entry. I'll aks for Ishmaelions and Judy's approval of the Language, but I won't elaborate it in this entry, but perhaps create a specific language-entry later on.

KR,
Theodorus

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 08 October 2005, 11:42:00 »

This was all I was able to find on the Mullog Language specifically.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The language itself consists of a set of commonly-used words that denominate the most important aspects of Mullog life. Other words are constructed by either combining these existing words, or by altering the stress and intonation of it.  

(Theo, you need to think if these 'words' are all root words - say, verbs and nouns - which can be altered by conjugating them as well as combining them.   I'd really suggest getting Anwulf's attention here, as he is the absolute grammatical expert.  Just let him know that you want something quite simple but also unique.)

For instance, the Mullog word for 'hunt' (also 'hunting', 'hunted'?)  is “Úhmbë”, with “Uhm” as the stressed syllable and pronounced with the tone slightly rising. The word used for 'hunter' is then “Uhmmbe”, with more stress on the “hmm” and again with the tone rising in pitch slightly. And the word for 'prey' is formed by using the same root, but now stressing the last syllable and pronouncing it while changing the tone from high to low, thus saying “Uhmbê”.

Due to this heavy reliance upon understanding of tonal pronunciation, Mullog language is quite hard to understand for outsiders, thus creating yet another barrier between the Mullogs and the rest of the world. However, there are a few known cases in which children of mixed birth, being both Mullog and Hobbit, have had the opportunity to learn both Mullog and Tharian, which enabled them to function as translators*.  Our short vocabulary list, included below, comes courtesy of such individuals.

(In fact, Theo, I'd seize the change for a little more integration and credit Lumbe Bloggson, one of Alysse's creations BTW, with having provided the vocabulary...)

The shaman's most important skill is what the Mullogs call "Ohs-er dan", which is translated as "dreamtravel".

(Do you have a valid need to use capitals within the sentence as well?  Each language, especially when 'transliterated' into Tharian, should have its own unique orthography.  You already are using the various accents (see below) to indicate the tonal nature - not to mention the hyphens, which add a unique look.  Don't clutter the visuals further with uppercase, I'd advise!)

*Author's note: A rightward accent (á) is used to indicate the stressed syllable. A trema (ä) is used to indicate a rise in tone, while an accent circumflex (â) is used for a fall in tone. Both signs to indicate the tone are placed on the last syllable of a word.
In the event that the last syllable is also the stressed syllable, the rightward accent is used for a rise in tone, while the leftward accent (à) is used to indicate fall in tone.

(Hmm.  I wouldn't bother actually indicating stress.  Give a rule such as 'stress usually falls on the first/last syllable' and leave it at that.  Then you can use the rightward for rising tone - much more intuitive - and eliminate the 'trema'.

OK - now a simple vocabulary list, following some basic rules and having a consistent 'feel', would be nice.  It would be realistic to look at orcish and hobbit tongues (Orken and Tharian, I guess!)  and use a 'meld' - even some words borrowed directly from either - plus your new 'accent' rules.     Do check out the link I posted in the Newcomers Forum about Fantasy Names - it has a lot of information on, and some $cripts for generating consistent-sounding fantasy languages - you'll appreciate it!

regards,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 10

Ishmaelion the philosopher

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 October 2005, 10:06:00 »

Well, here are my two sans worth...

I really like the idea of having the same word, different pronunciation creating different meaning. :thumbup  I should warn you that this should not be too much explored, eg. Ëmbuh could mean sheep, and Embüh means warfare. This does not create a realistic image. But I figure that you already know this, because your example uses meanings that lie pretty much in the same theme. :thumbup  I am sorry to disagree with Judith on the stressed sylables. I personally like the tremas and such, it creates a kind of earthy language. (Silmarillion, anyone?) Furthermore, I love the unique concept of this and am looking forward to a sample vocabulary list!:number1  

Ishmaelion

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 October 2005, 10:25:00 »

Well, I think I might omit the detailed languages part from the Race-entry, and construct a different thread for the language. That way, if I redo this for a final time, this entry will be ready, and we'll have plenty of time to debate on the language, without having Arti to wait for us.

Then, Judy, my apologies for not giving you the link. I'll do so next time. But I'm very grateful that you commented on the language.
Same goes for ishmaelion. I will bell-ring you once I have something worthy of a topic in the language board, and then I'd really appreciate your help in constructing this language, as it's the first time I'll be doing this.

KR,
Theodorus

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]