Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Mullog Redesign  (Read 14342 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 11 October 2005, 13:15:00 »

Yeah, Theo - just try to get the final revision done, you can always add the language details later;)  - Would be great to have the entry ready for this week's update!

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 12 October 2005, 14:53:00 »

Final revision done now, edits/additions in blue. I omitted the previous colors, as things woudl otherwise become very confusing. I tried to incorporate as many of Talia's comments as possible, and I hope this entry is satisfactory. If it is, I will continue with writing a second entry in which the Mullog language is more clearly developed and described.

Important things in fourth update:
- Omitted usage of clay, partially substituted by Lifereed
- Changed vague origin into clear historically sound origin, which is again closer to the initial thoughts but perhaps more realistic.

KR,
Theodorus

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 12 October 2005, 20:44:00 »

Disagree away, 'Maelion!  It is the free and courteous exchange of ideas that makes this a 'DEVELOPMENT' Board, neh?

I'd still argue that the forwards accent should show rising tone as it's more intuitive... and save the umlaut/trema for stress... :p   but that's jest mah uneddicated opin-eye-yun!

And Theo, I'd take up 'Maelion's offer post-haste, were I you.  He has a knack with tongues!   (giggles) No pun intended.  Just remember not to overdo it as the Mullogs are not one of the main races, so we only really need a 'list' rather than a huge grammary for the Languages editor...  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #48 on: 13 October 2005, 04:22:00 »

Cool... Will give it a final check upon integrating, Theo, but from what I see it looks very good, so I've marked it already for integration:D  - Woo-hoo! Truly a remarkable update from the current version we have on the site, now fully integrated with lots of cross-references, just the way it should be!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #49 on: 14 October 2005, 03:15:00 »

Heh, I seem to be a little late with this, but I have just now run across a dusty part of the compendium - the history section - and found a reference to the Mullogs, which I have provided below. It is in History, in the Age of Awakening chapter.
Quote:
822 b.S.-288 b.S.         The Halflings' Destiny
While the few halflings who remained at the Silvershire re-construct their homes, those halflings who fled to the Silvermarshes adapt to their new environment and over the course of time develop to swampcreatures. But although they adapt, many are not strong enough to survive their harsh new home. In the year 302 b.S. not more than a few dozen of them are left.

The Mingling of Halflings with Orcs
In 288 b.S. group of orcish refugees arrives in the Silvermarshes after the defeat of their leader Hourelin. They are hunted by the humans and can't find any other place to hide as the Silvermarshes. The wounded orcs prove to be much more peaceful than expected (their militant brethren all fought till their death in the war) and suggest to support the halflings in building settlements together within the confines of the marshes. After a while, halfling and orcish blood is mingled. The new race which emerges from the combination of these two races is called the "Mullog" (or "Swamp Lover" in the halfling tongue). While no other race is known to have been capable adapting to such harsh conditions as they are prevailing in these swamps, the Mullog survive in the Silvermarshes ever since.
As you can see, this tallies with the old entry, not this new one so...

Well, I'll just leave this with you! :biggrin  

*Scampers back off to her Greyler entry*

Grunok's CD

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #50 on: 14 October 2005, 04:25:00 »

We took that into consideration, Grunok, Theo pointed me at it and I had found it meanwhile as well - but I found it much too late ;)  

Theo, maybe you word this sentence a bit more vague, so that this is a possibility (though the most probable) under several. Then the entry Grunok has pointed at doesn't have to be changed.

( Researchers assume, that the first  offsprings of both races were produced through rapes of hobbit women by the orcs, for the hobbits were surely afraid of these newcomers, ...) or something like this. Terrible english, I know.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 10/13/05 12:32

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14 October 2005, 09:47:00 »

Well, it would still be strange to have a possibility within the Race entry, and a fact in a history entry. So either I need to change the Race entry now, and have the Orcs and Hobbits coëxist peacefully, or the history entry needs to be changed.

Personally, I think the new explanation of Orcs raping the Hobbits is more plausible than peaceful coëxistance.

KR,
Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #52 on: 17 October 2005, 06:25:00 »

Just completed preparing the entry:D  - Splendid work indeed I have to say, the entry is no so much richer compared to the previous version, it's really a joy to read through it all and get to know the Mullog race in depth! :clap

Of course here and there there are some contradictions now perhaps on the site due to a few changes we have now, but we'll need to fix those. If you have suggestions on how to replace these things as Grunok mentioned, Theo, please let me know what to change and I'll get to it:)  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]