Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Avennorian Men ("Arrived Tribe")  (Read 11214 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 29 January 2006, 14:09:00 »

Here we go with the rework on the Avennorians, a start is made. Again, it might take a while to get all the sections covered, but I plan to add things bit by bit. I'll post the sections which are finished by now (at the moment Overview and Appearance) and if they are considered ok, we'll move them directly on the site at an update. At later updates we'll replace further sections. This way we make constant visible progress on the site. Comments welcome of course!

So here we go with Overview and Appearance section for now:

Update #1 in orange
Update #2 in fuchsia

Overview.
In the 12th millenium b.S. people hailing from the Kanapan peninsula of Northern Sarvonia settled along the eastern banks of Southern Sarvonia. They were Glandorians and as such adventurers, explorers, whalers, pearl divers - and conquerers. Those who stayed permanently in the region and continued to explore Caelereth from there called themselves the "Arrived Ones" (Av'ennors) and would mingle in the coming millenia with people of the lands they occupied, mainly the Darian, the ancestors of the Shendar, and the Thairans, the people of the Shan'Thai area from the continent of Aeruillin. Wealth and fame should become the most important aspects in the lives of the Avennorians, and even the succession of the kings would be determined by wealth, not on family ties. In the course of time they more and more developed into a merchant folk, however, the scent of adventure always stayed with them. The lands the Avennorians still live in represents today's Manthrian province of Santharia, and has become a rich and healthy region of the kindgom.

Appearance.
Avennorians have to be accounted to the smaller build tribes of the Southern Sarvonian continent, with a standard size of approximately one ped and two fores (between one ped and six or seven handspans), making them only a bit larger than the remarkably small Eyelian Tamers. Women are usually slightly smaller than men, as is the case with most tribes. Avennorians are often described as muscular and sinewy, as strong and rough, more homely in the looks, but as incredibly healthy and resistant against the elements. Their forefathers, the Glandorians, had exceptionally large ear slits reaching until the cheek and only fragmentary earlaps as a typical characteristic. While only a minority of today's Avennorians still look that way (quite alienating to others one has to admit!), earlaps are not very pronounced at these people. Those with the mentioned exceptionally large slits instead of regular ears primarily work as pearl divers as they can manage to close the ears when going under water, resisting the pressure of the depths more efficiently.

Thus the tribe might appear unalluring to the eye, though, especially the majority of the women aren't considered to be overly attractive compared to other tribes. But "these people are the unrelenting rock, burning with the desire of hazard and risk, jutting out with its vigorous presence of the endless waters of the sea, listening to the stormy winds, bringing the tales from afar" - at least that's the way Thyrram Knaast, a famous Ciosan writer, puts it when talking about his fellow-Avennorians. The disposition concerning their size, built and health at least the Avennorians surely owe to their exploring and conquering Glandorian ancestors. These were used to live most of their lives at the sea, but also were trained to fight resistance wherever they landed.

In regards of skin and hair colour the Glandorian features are still quite common, meaning basically white complexion and light to dark blond hair. Actually blond hair, a very light skin tone, slitty ears and even a small size are often seen as an unmistaken combination signifying nobility in Avennorian society, as the first settlers from the North featured these characteristics. People with such white complexion () tend to have their skin burned easily, which is why you can see some ladies of the nobility avoiding the sun at all costs in order not to appear as commoners. Rumours abound as well that exclusive lotions and makeup tricks help to "increase" status temporarily, when a good impression is desperately needed - at least that's what the ladies deem important. So much about "keeping" the Glandorian roots. But skin colour without the accompanying clothes and jewelry is only half an Avennorian, one should know. Showing off one's property and luxury is part of these people's identity. Wearing rings, necklaces, bracelets, earings, laced clothes and shoes of exquisite leather are just as essential to be identified as an Avennorian merchant as being small, blond and white.

However, due to influences of other tribes, the majority of Avennorians in the course of the millenia has changed to a darker shade of skin (deriving from the Shan'Thai bloodline) and darker hair colours have increased somewhat in the meantime (primarily Darian influence), even though blond is still clearly prevalent. Raven hair however is practically non-existent and if it is encountered though, then only in the lowest social classes - which is interesting as this colour is not unusual at the Darian with whom the Avennorians mingled as well. Eye colours among the Avennorians are commonly blue, green or grey or varieties in between.

As for the origin of today's Avennorian looks, here a short summary: The Avennorians are the result of the intermingling of human tribes from very different parts of the world of Caelereth. They have a strong Glandorian root, as they initially came from Northern Sarvonia, added to that are a good deal of Darian influences, who are the forefathers of what we now call the Shendar and which were subjugated by the Glandorians. Finally we have the Thairans as another factor, the former Shan'Thai "natives" from the continent of Aeruillin. These people first served under the rule of their masters but eventually the mixing of blood between the Glandorians (already having partly Darian characteristics) with this new tribe from the south led to the current appearance of the people we know as the Avennorians.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 2/2/06 21:41

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2006, 14:38:00 »

Great!

The last paragraph doesn't belong to appearance, but..

What about differing a bit between the noble classes (more blond hairs, lighter skin tone tending to burn easily etc and maybe smaller than the average Avennorian? ) and the lower classes (more like the Darian mixed with Thairans). The noble Ladies then try to avoid sun?

I wonder - became the Thairan woman wives of the noble classes or were they mostly used as sklaves? I would suppose, for the Glandorians wanted to set themselves apart from the "darkr" Darian, so they would probably not marry even darker persons (that doesn't mean, that they not impregnated them.)

How many Thairans came to Avennoria - was their (racial, genetic) influence so strong, that it influenced the appearance so much?

Kings were kings because they were rich, not because they inherited the throne - if rich people with darker complexion (oh this Thairan grand-grand-mother) wanted to be more on the fair side they could use powder and wigs!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 1/28/06 21:41

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2006, 04:18:00 »

Oh Talia, you're not suggesting Elizabethan practices: showing you have a white skin or even powdering it, meaning you don't have to work in the fields? Just like the keys of a piano were originally black, so that the white skin of the hand of a rich lady was contrasted better ;)

I'd go for a different logic: because their tradition seems to be based on wealth, every piece of richness you're able to show, should be visible to the public. I'd say that differences in social classes would become more visible in the clothes, jewellery etc. worn than in their appearance. After all, they don't mind to work hard to gain wealth, which might include spending day after day in the harbour bargaining, which again results in a darker skin because of the outside work.

Racial logic sounds also workable to me, but not up till today: the coming of Santhros should bring an end to these differences.

I'm glad you kept a few of the characteristics of Capher's original entry Artimidor! I also had them in mind as 'greedy merchants', to generalize a lot. Besides a few spelling errors I don't have a lot to add. Maybe you can stress the 'scent of adventure' you describe in the overview a little more. You have this line ending with '- and conquerors', perhaps adding something about the tribe being 'enterprising' or 'adventurous'.

040705-110705. My Inspiration.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and still count myself king of infinite space" - Shakespear's Hamlet
Unofficial Typolice of Santharia

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2006, 03:31:00 »

I've moved and rewritten some things from Capher's original entry already in the People section, which wasn't posted here yet, so yeah, this will all still come, don't worry! Just didn't fit into the Appearance section and the Overview is meant to be short;)  

Concerning the wealth: Here I would suggest to make the "slavery gap" bridgeable. At first maybe the Aeruillin people were more seen as slaves, but the Avennorians found out in the course of time that these slaves exceed them in certain fields, and that - if used properly - they can help a good deal to increase the own wealth. So letting them develop was in their interest. Using them like cattle wouldn't serve the purpose, though there might have been such cases initially. But once they've gained the trust of their masters and were allowed to develop more or less freely they had the chance to gain wealth and fame. And this is what counts in Avennorian society.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/29/06 10:57

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2006, 11:50:00 »

And were then seen fit to marry into the own ranks, if they were only rich? Could be a good source for some nice stories - white lady has to marry rich dark husband because father wishes so etc..

Gean, anything against wigs and white powders faces... ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2006, 18:35:00 »

Wow, there's a lot of history here.  Which is great, but I think it might be better in its own section.  I personally prefer appearance sections to focus on describing the appearance - it makes it a lot easier to read, to draw from, or to write a character from.  All the history makes it hard to find the details of appearance easily.  

My advice would be to have the first paragraph(s) of the appearance as only describing the appearance, and then put the history after that, so that the details don't get lost, and/or the beautiful rich history doesn't get ignored in favour of searching out the details of appearance.

Artemis
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2006, 13:26:00 »

Hey Artimidor, now my exams are FINISHED (Woohoo!), a few notes from my side on how they influenced Thairan appearance...

The biggest favour I must ask is that a high proportion of Avennorians are blonde (although brown could still be the majority colour). I say this since the very fact that the Avennorian settlers had blonde hair (along with a few other reasons) allowed them to turn the Thairan natives against the flying race. I'll copy and paste exactly what I have written on the subject -

"The hair of the Thairans is a defining feature and some may argue a cause of much bloodshed and war. A century ago, nearly every Thairan was blonde to some degree. The shades of blonde were of course varied, however, to find a brunette or redhead was an impossible task. This was due to years of believing superiority was due to the blonde hair. Although a common belief amongst some Aeruillin tribes is that those who are blonde are blessed by Nakashi, the Thairans took it a step further to say that as they had blonde hair, they were greater than any other people upon the world of Caelereth, and that the High Goddess of Light herself watched over them. When the Avennorians came and settled on Aeruillin, it was their predominantly blonde hair that caused them to win the trust of the natives, in order to turn them against the *Insert name of new race here*. It was also why the natives slowly allowed themselves to become subservient. As the settlers realized this, those who gave birth to children with blonde hair were encouraged to have as many children as possible. Eventually, they convinced themselves of their own superiority. So, blonde is the hair colour of a Thairan, although the recent integration with other tribes means alternate shades are beginning to occur."

So, perhaps those with blonde hair were nobility in the Avennorian tribe (as Talia suggested), and so considered worthy to go and found a colony? Of course, I don't mean that all who went must have been blonde, but if the majority were, perhaps they "bred out" the brunette and any other colours due to realising the advantages of being blonde. OR perhaps we can time it so that the Darian intermingling and thus the prevalence of blonde hair and white skin then was when the Avennorians started to travel, discover, and colonise Shan'Thai. That would probably be the easiest way anyhow...but I do not know how long ago the Darians influenced the Avennorians.

Another point is how some Avennorians had "slitty ears". This feature is actually found also in the Cholians, who had bred it into their tribe due to the advantages it had. So, perhaps some Avennorians also had this, although it was rare - perhaps these people were made into Sailors/Fishers/Explorers, since with their unique ears they could dive and utilise the water to its fullest. Then when it comes to the Cholians, basic principles of natural selection can occur (since the slitty ear trait was an advantage to their tribe, it survived and spread throughout the people) and that is why they now have many people with the slitty ears.

Anyhow, I hope this isn't too much trouble. The blonde hair mainly is incredibly important though!

:D  :D  :D

You're supposed to put something really clever and witty in the signature. Well, I am neither clever, nor witty, so this is a waste of space for me really.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2006, 13:42:00 »

Well, we can make the blond hair a dominant gene and so most Glandorians and their children will have blond hair. And those will be the ones who went to Shan'thai, the dark Darian farmers stayed at home.

Art, after reading and rereading I thought as well, you should perhaps stress their glandorian heritage, this blond feature of them a bit more and not only mention it at the end of appearance. That is what makes the two tribes so different and is surely one reason for the conflict:

Darians: Tall, darkhaired, light skin tone, but this is tanned easily, strong, more broad boneframe.

Glandorians: Small, though very strong as well, maybe just a smaller frame, sinewy, very blond hair, white skins which get more red than tanned - though this doesn't apply for the sailors, more for those who have the choice to stay more inside.

The blond hair could well give an Avennorian more selfesteeem, so that he is more successful than a darkhaired person. So blondhaired are just more successfull.

I don't know when the Avennorians went the first time to Shan'thai, but if it is soon enough, they are surely mostly blond.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2006, 15:24:00 »

I've updated the description now, taking in all things that were suggested (hopefully), also moving things around a bit. The last paragraph is now missing, this will show up in the People section. Changes aren't marked specifically because especially the next 2 paragraphs after the picture had big changes.

Only thing that's not in yet are the slitty ears, still have to think about how/where we could put them in.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/30/06 22:26

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2006, 15:08:00 »

I've added the slits now, deriving it from the Glandorians - guess we need something a bit exotic, so why not taking the Glandorians for that? In the meantime the slitty ears are rare, though, but it can't hurt to have such guys when needed:)  - Hope these changes are ok with all of you, if so, Overview and Appearance section will go up this update.

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2006, 17:12:00 »

What about 'crossbreeds'? e.g. offspring of slitty ears and normal ears Avennorians? Does this result in the 'less pronounced ears'.

I'm not sure if healthy is an appropiate descriptive term, perhaps 'good constitution'? I think you want to say that they have a good physical condition, but healthy is IMHO someone not being ill.

Love the exotic touch, also in the original Capher entry, although the fact that is not that common anymore adds just that little realism that we need, and it makes a better imaginable as well.

040705-110705. My Inspiration.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and still count myself king of infinite space" - Shakespear's Hamlet
Unofficial Typolice of Santharia

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Artemis
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2006, 18:29:00 »

Thanks Art, all of that is fine in relation to the Thairans, no contradictions or anything, all good. I may amend the Cholian entry slightly, but that can wait.

:) .

:D  :D  :D  

You're supposed to put something really clever and witty in the signature. Well, I am neither clever, nor witty, so this is a waste of space for me really.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2006, 06:42:00 »

Overview.
In the 12th millenium b.S. a tribe settled along the eastern banks of Southern Sarvonia in the area south of the Mithral Mountains , hailing from the Kanapan peninsula in Northern Sarvonia, their ancestors being of Glandorian origin.
I think this is wrong - they WERE Glandorians still, who  started these adventurous voyages.
They were adventurers, explorers, whalers, pearl divers - and conquerers. Those who stayed permanently in the region and continued to explore Caelereth from there called themselves the "Arrived Ones" (Av'ennors) and would mingle in the coming millenia with people of the lands they occupied, mainly the Darian, the ancestors of the Shendar, and the Thairans, the people of the Shan'Thai area from the continent of Aeruillin. Wealth and fame should become the most important aspects in the lives of the Avennorians, and even the succession of the kings would be determined by wealth, not on family ties. In the course of time they more and more developed into a merchant folk, however, the scent of adventure always stayed with them. The lands the Avennorians still live in represents today's Manthrian province of Santharia, and has become a rich and healthy region of the kindgom.

Appearance.
Avennorians have to be accounted to the smaller ? concerning their height, not their number - it is clear in the next half of the senteces, but.. maybe smaller built? tribes of the Southern Sarvonian continent, with a standard size of approximately 1 ped and 2 fores (between 1 ped and six or seven handspans), In entries the numbers should be written out! making them only a bit larger than the remarkably small Eyelian Tamers. Women are usually slightly smaller than men, as is the case with most tribes. Avennorians are often described as muscular and sinewy, as strong and rough, homely in the looks, but as incredibly healthy and resistant against the elements. Their forefathers, the Glandorians, had only slits for ears as a typical characteristic, and while only a minority of today's Avennorians still look that way (quite alienating to others one has to admit!), ears are not very pronounced at these people. Those with slits instead of regular ears primarily work as pearl divers as they can manage to close the ears when going under water, resisting the pressure of the depths more efficiently.

If they only have slits, that would mean they hear a lot worse than people with earlaps - maybe they have just a different looking ears, a slit in front of the earlap? Would look strange nevertheless, though maybe not in the first moment. They could even hide it if they want to..  

Thus the tribe might appear unalluring to the eye, though, especially the women aren't considered to be overly attractive.
That is a bit a problm as well - were the Glandorians so ugly, that they eliminated the Darian beauty? Did they mingle so well? Where from then origintate the good-looking Shendar? And the Tharians? Maybe write, that there are not many women who are considered overly attractive, so there is always room to create a beautiful Avennorian lady as well

But "these people are the unrelenting rock, burning with the desire of hazard and risk, jutting out with its vigorous presence of the endless waters of the sea, listening to the stormy winds, bringing the tales from afar" - at least that's the way Thyrram Knaast, a famous Ciosan writer, puts it when talking about his fellow-Avennorians. The disposition concerning their size, built and health at least the Avennorians surely owe to their exploring and conquering Glandorian ancestors. These were used to live most of their lives at the sea, but also were trained to fight resistance wherever they landed.

In regards of skin and hair colour the Glandorian features are still quite common, meaning basically white complexion and light to dark blond hair. Actually blond hair, a very light skin tone and even a small size are often seen as an unmistaken combination signifying nobility in Avennorian society, as the first settlers from the North featured these characteristics. People with such white complexion nevertheless is nevertheless here correct? tend to have their skin burned easily, which is why you can see some ladies of the nobility avoiding the sun at all costs in order not to appear as commoners. Rumours abound as well that exclusive lotions and makeup tricks help to "increase" status temporarily, when a good impression is desperately needed - at least that's what the ladies deem important. So much about "keeping" the Glandorian roots. But skin colour without the accompanying clothes and jewelry is only half an Avennorian, one should know. Showing off one's property and luxury is part of these people's identity. Wearing rings, necklaces, bracelets, earings, laced clothes and shoes of exquisite leather are just as essential to be identified as an Avennorian merchant as being small, blond and white.

However, due to influences of other tribes, the majority of Avennorians in the course of the millenia has changed to a darker shade of skin (deriving from the Shan'Thai bloodline) and darker hair colours have increased somewhat in the meantime (primarily Darian influence), even though blond is still clearly prevalent. Raven hair however is non-existent - which is interesting as this colour is not unusual at the Darian with whom the Avennorians mingled as well. Eye colours among the Avennorians are commonly blue, green or grey or varieties in between.

Raven - hair is on-existant - that means that the population has mixed so well, that it was suppressed totally? Maybe you reduce it to that it only occurs (and that very rarely) in the very lowest classes?

As for the origin of today's Avennorian looks, here a short summary: The Avennorians are the result of the intermingling of human tribes from very different parts of the world of Caelereth. They have a strong Glandorian root, as they initially came from Northern Sarvonia, added to that are a good deal of Darian influences, who are the forefathers of what we now call the Shendar and which were subjugated by the Glandorians. Finally we have the Thairans as another factor, the former Shan'Thai "natives" from the continent of Aeruillin. These people first served under the rule of their masters but eventually the mixing of blood between the Glandorians (already having partly Darian characteristics) with this new tribe from the south led to the current appearance of the people we know as the Avennorians

It‘s good to read now!

Are you uploading this already now, because the tribe does exist already or are you lifting your : „Nearly complete entries only „ ban?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2006, 10:20:00 »

Just an additional note - maybe there are perosns with just a slit as hears (who will have a bad hearing, maybe abother sense for that) , some with slits and earlaps, and some "normal" persons..

If the "earless" or "slit for earslaps" people are the Glandorians, then it would be a sign of nobility as well having no earlaps.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2006, 15:47:00 »

Good observations, Talia, tried to adjust the entry once more to reflect all that - see above.

Oh, and I don't see a problem with uploading this rework section by section. It's an entry, which is already on the site, which is now only being improved - so it cannot hurt to have things up already making the existing entry richer and give it more depth.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]