Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Avennorian Men ("Arrived Tribe")  (Read 11213 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2006, 15:54:00 »

Have just done the Darian housing, now will come the more elaborate Avennorian houses...

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2006, 07:21:00 »

Draft-Draft-Draft

The Avennorians have many different ways (styles?) of housing due to their mixed ancestries (?) and the influence of fashion imported from other tribes or areas which have formed the face (appearance?) of many a town. So all can be found from the primitive hut made out wood to the finest manor house out of white Varcopasian granite a rich merchant has built for his wife . Generally the housing can be divided into three categories, the simpler farmhouses found in the middle of the country, near the forests and where the soil isn‘t as fertile as in the coast regions, the big farmhouses or estates in the flatter areas near the sea and the cities like Ciosa, Marcogg, Klinsor, Ravenport or Lorehaven. There are many individual or local customs as well though, which are worth mentioning like the whalebone huts on the east coast.

The farmhouses

Though these wooden houses have of course changed  in appearance and how they are built since the time of the Darians in 12 000 b.S. , they have still much in common with them. They might have now a fundament out of stone and some  the first storey out of  brick or clay, but the rest of the house is still entirely out of wood and the roof made with straw, reed or wooden shingles and at times the coloured patterns on the whitewashed walls in the rooms are the same as when the Glandorians arrived. The floor plan hasn‘t changed much, though sometimes the barn is now attached to the main house  in a right angle (?) . But the front side of the ensemble is still preferred to face to the south if possible. The reason may be, that most of their inhabitants are mainly of Darian blood, some even claim that they are pure Darians, though this may be doubted after twelve millennia. Normally the buildings are big enough to house a family, with the grandparents, maybe an uncle or aunt, a farm labourer and a maid.

What material is used depends where exactly the buildings are located. So near or in a forest where the farmer owns a patch of trees the house will be entirely out of wood. In regions where wood is scarcer due to the deforestation centuries ago and a potential house builder has to buy the boles and blanks, he may only do the roof truss out of it. Common are now as well a mixture out of wood and clay walls, the wood giving the stability and the clay mixed with straw filling the spaces in-between.
The houses are build more in an ensemble now than in old times. The upcoming wars seem to have forced the inhabitants to stick closer together and occasional the effort was made to fence the whole village. (palisades). The tavern and the fire pond is now mostly in the middle of the village, the temple and quarters for a priest or two though at the rim - perhaps to allow more privacy when worshipping.

The bigger farmhouses and estates:

Here are described the bigger farms or  the even greater manor houses with attached farming , not the solitary houses built by rich people near the cites who wanted to have a summer residence.

In the flatter areas like.. we find  big farms which with more than two buildings. They are owned mostly by the upper Avennorian classes, often the owner is only present now and then to keep an eye on them or for recreation, hunting and feasting. In this case a bailiff looks after the farm. The estates served as a kind of small fortification and though there is no need for it today, this state is well preserved.

These bigger properties consist mostly of three big buildings, grouped around a big place and build together: The main house, which is very elaborate done, dependant on the money the owner has, the stables which are opposite and the big barn connecting the stables and the main building. The place is closed by a simple wall with a nicely decorated  gate, which gives the first impression about the wealth of the owner and his farm or estate. On ground level not many windows can be found on the outer walls, and if so, then they are small or of a late date. The barn has none on the outside, but a huge two huge doors, one above the other. On top of these gates is a gable with a tackle which helps to unload the harvest .

In the less noble farms of this kind, life takes place in the inner farmyard. There is the dunghill near the stables, a well near the house, a little fenced herb garden,  hens and geese are allowed to run free, occasionally even the pigs, the kittens are playing and  the guarddog chained to a long bar along the wall of the house which allows it to move  and hinder any stranger who might have found his way through the main gate to enter the house.

The grand estates, though they have been nothing else than farms before, banned all the dirt and dung producing livestock to the back of the stable or barn, where they live in a fenced area. There the space between the buildings is not longer a farmyard, but courtyard, with grass, flowers, a tree or two and small useless paths . The front side and entrance of the house (now called mansion) present themselves more noble, the plaster is always fresh whitewashed or shows even a light colour. There may be even a plastered road which leads up to the front door, so that coaches can drive directly to the entrance.  The stable is still where it is , but ow on the side of the „courtyard“ only the horses are held, where the poultry and the pics have on their dens on the outside wall.

These big fortificated homesteads house a lot of people. Without the owner and his family, which is often not living there at all, up to thirsty or even more persons are finding work there - the bailiff and his family, several farm labourers, male and female, maids for the farmwork which has to be done in the house and house servants for the owner family.

With the need of more space, these houses needed to be quite big.  With enough space available, they didn‘t build more than a full first story though, but the base area grew up to twenty peds in breadth and up to forty in length . These broad houses required a huge roof, so the number of half-storeys grew up to ten! Gables were build in the roofs to allow light in, though only towards the courtyard.

Only recently erected mansions may have more full storeys, but they  tend to go away from the closed form as well and set the house in a distance to the stable and barns.

The Cities

Special Buildings

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2006, 18:15:00 »

Re: Talia's bell-ring:

I imagined that the first Avennorian houses which were built inland were a cross between the domed whale-skin structures of the coast and what the Darians had - the rectangular, steep-roofed buildings.  Although, even if we get rid of the whaleskin tents, this would still work.  I thought that perhaps in many places, at first, the Darians had welcomed the Avennorians and helped them to build their houses near to their own settlements, like as happened here in NZ when the British colonists arrived and were welcomed by the Maori (before it became bloody  : ).

I thought that the resultant cross in housing might look something like a wooden rectangle with a roof much like the upturned keel of a ship.   The Avennorians' prowess with seafaring suggested this shape to me, as they'd be pretty good at building ship-shaped structures, probably especially those who came to Sarvonia.

The houses would be likely to be two-storey, the same as ships are (with the deck and the below-deck) and have windows which are shuttered with whaleskin, at least to begin with.  I also like the two-storey idea as it would be very efficient at differentiating the Darians and Avennorians: can't you just imagine riding up along the Mashdai to proto-Chrondra and seeing the two groups of houses - one group low and rectangular, the other tall with great, gracefully curved roofs?  I think it would exemplify the early Avennorians' feeling of superiority over the Darians quite well.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter.  Now back to posting in Twilight - I have a tavern to describe  :b  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2006, 18:51:00 »

Yes, this is a great idea, but how looks Chondra now?Marcogg is described quite differently (no such roofs like you described them), why is Chondra then different?

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2006, 20:13:00 »

Well, this (the upturned-keel houses) was my idea for how housing developed inland originally, as opposed to later on.  I would think it was like this until the Erpheronians took over, when all new buildings were built in their style.  Then, gradually, the Erpheronian style became altered by the new fashions of this province, creating the style seen in Manthria (f.e. in Marcogg) today.

The reason I think that there are none of the upturned-keel type buildings in Marcogg is because it was completely destroyed in the War of the Chosen, and also probably again when the Erpheronians took over, so they couldn't have any houses like this.  

One of my ideas for Chrondra is that it was a place where the Avennorians sent a lot of their scholarly wealth (books etc) early on, so it had very impressive walls, so some small parts of the old, pre-Erpheronian takeover city have survived until now.  I will have a small section of the city with old (perhaps partially ruined) houses in the style I described above, but I think after the Erpheronians took over, all or most of the new buildings were in an Erpheronian style until the style gradually became like it is today.

So, I was going to have the majority of the buildings in Chrondra be in the Marcoggian style, except for a few small old areas which are in Erpheronian or pre-Erpheronian style.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 10 February 2006, 06:22:00 »

I will integrate your ship-roofs somehow, but I doubt, that any wooden structures have survived from before the war of the chosen - it is hard to believe, that the stone structures of Ciosa have stayed so long - especially in an active city. If you look at Rome, the road-level of the town is now 11m above the city of only 2000 years ago. I don't think, it is realistic to have such old buildings (especially out of wood). However, the traditions could stay - so I thought that the richer  people who wanted to preserve their traditions would have tried to keep it, for it is much more expensive to build a curved roof than a straight one.

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 10 February 2006, 06:35:00 »

Quote:
but I doubt, that any wooden structures have survived from before the war of the chosen
I meant that these old houses are there from before the Erpheronians take over in 800 b.S, not from before the War of the Chosen!  :lol   They would have built that way right up until the Erpheronians took over, only then changing their style.  

But then, that is still 2500 or so years ago, so I guess you're quite right anyway.  You say that the Darians can preserve wood well but I don't think anyone could preserve it for 2500 years!  I guess the old city will be Erpheronian garrisoning or something, then.  No problem, do as you wish with the ship idea, I'm glad you like it.  :)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 14 February 2006, 15:56:00 »

Grunok's ship idea sounds very good - they preserve the Avennorian identity quite well, so this sounds very interesting:)

Concerning the structures out of whalebones: I always had the impression that Capher primarily described the ancient Avennorians, which were still much less developed than today's, so that whalbone tents and smaller huts could be possible (the ancient inuit built such structures, see here for example for a kind of picture). Perhaps Earthen whales are not that large to make good houses, but at least that's the advantage of a fantasy world - we can create bigger whales with stronger bone structures if we need them.

Because the bones are bent of course whale structures would look more like tents - I assume nowadays Avennorians would create storage tents or something similar from them, as the bones would be mere by-products. I could also imagine the skeleton of an enormous whale and its bent bones being used as some sort of corridor leading to another building, e.g. an entrance of a manor/castle, a path leading up a hill decorated with whale bones (of course put into place aesthetically) - but it would demonstrate the visitor the Avennorian power of defeating such beasts of monstrous size.

@Talia, concerning some questions asked in your mail: With the whale structures in Klinsor I meant especially the buildings at the flensing docks, not directly in the city BTW, as I don't think that the houses themselves are made of whalebones.

Slate (Schiefer) would be nice to have in Ciosa, so why not - if you have a place from where it can be imported for the Ciosa roofs, sure. Ciosa of course is quite influenced regarding their design of buildings by the Hawkeye Quarry nearby, but if we go with the ship idea, I could add in more in this direction into the main description.

Shells: Well, shells could be a nice ingredient for all kinds of wealthy homes, so the more the better an Avennorian merchant would say.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2006, 04:07:00 »

Gean had the same idea at the same time about this ship-turned-around-roof idea and I'm about to integrate it as a special feature for the richer merchants, and yes - shells - so I may add some here and there.... they are just so hard to glue to the granite

Edit: Just looked at your link - that is an interesting article, for the Icetribes as well. Judy hasn't mentioned a size in the whale entry, maybe we can assume, that they had rips two peds or even two and a half peds long and with the Glandorian so small, it might fit. There can't be too many though, at least not in the beginning, for these big animlas were surely not captured in huge numbers.

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 2/14/06 11:22

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2006, 16:42:00 »

I would like to have changed some minor things in already finished entries if possible:

*waves at Judy* did you have a special idea why you wrote it like this?
Quote:
Many of the stone buildings are constructed from the dark local basalt, or from white clay brick imported from the Gryphon's Marl area

Marcogg: A replace of „local basalt“ with „local granite“ from the Caer..mountains (same as Ciosa.)and „white clay brick imported from the Stormwarden Ridge „ - (for example, could be any of the villages around which would earn their money with brick-making?

The reason is, I need a place where the (dark ) slate can be „harvested“, and the structures around Griffin‘s marl don‘t look like clay pits, but more  like these basaltic formations I know from the area I grew up:
www.vfmg-weiden.de/parkst.htm
www.wilnsdorf-niederdielf...kstein.jpg
www.wilnsdorf-niederdielf...stein2.jpg

Ciosa: “The amount of whale bone structures used for housing has diminished here, though, you'll find many more of these traditional Avennorian constructions further south in Klinsor. „
„south near Klinsor“

GEAN, check Ravenport!

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2006, 15:45:00 »

Housing

The Avennorians have many different styles of housing due to their mixed ancestries and the influence of fashion imported from other tribes or areas which have formed the face  of many a town. As locally found building material has been used mainly, the  appearance of houses and towns varies with the area in which they are located as with the money the future owner had available.

So all can be found from the primitive hut made out wood to the finest manor house out of white Varcopasian granite a rich merchant has built for his wife. Generally the housing can be divided into three main categories, the simpler farmhouses found in the middle of the country, near the forests and where the soil isn‘t as fertile as in the coastal regions, the big farmhouses or estates in the flatter areas near the sea and the cities like Ciosa, Marcogg, Klinsor, Ravenport or Lorehaven. There are many individual or local customs as well though, which are worth mentioning like the whalebone huts on the east coast. Not to mention the poor huts which don‘t follow any tradition, but are built obeying the need to use what was available and cheap to realise .

The Big Cities

When approaching one of the most ancient town the Avennorians have built, Ciosa, weather defying multi-storey buildings out of black and grey granite  with dark grey slates on the roofs are greeting the incoming sailors. This look share partly Marcogg and Klinsor, all using the dark granite of the Caeytharin Mountains and the nearly black slates , though Marcogg has  white claybricks as well as a structure out of dark painted wood and white plaster. The  only other „dark“ town is Ravenport. Its founders wanted to create a Ciosa of the west-coast, hoping the town would develop to a wealthy city as the old Ciosa. So they imported the dark grey granite from the Hawkeye Quarry in the Caeytharin Mountains as the slates from Griffin‘s Marl.  Lorehaven however as a younger town preferred to use lighter materials like  brick and wood and clay tiles of a soft reddish brown in colour. So the city is full of muted, warm earth tones and colours. This choice may well be the result of strong Darian bloodlines in their population.
Generally said - everybody who is proud of his Avennorian or even Glandorian ancestry and can afford it tries to show his wealth with building big houses, where possible out of granite, with glass-windows and with a distinct boat-shaped roof. If these houses are very comfortable to live in, with most times just one or two chimneys is not important, as long as it looks representative.
Those  not gifted with rich forefathers or the talent to make money easily are forced to decide, if they should take the still expensive limestone and build a smaller house or the cheaper construction with wood and claybricks inbetween, which might enable them to build in a grander style. The interior however often doesn‘t match the magnificent looking exterior, except from the entrance hall and a first attached room for visiting guests.

The bigger farmhouses and estates:

Here are described the bigger farms or  the even greater manor houses with attached farming , not the solitary houses built by rich people near the cites who wanted to have a summer residence.

In the flatter areas like Twynor Farmsteadings we find  big farms  with more than two buildings. They are owned mostly by the upper Avennorian classes, often the owner is only present now and then to keep an eye on them or for recreation, hunting and feasting. In this case a bailiff looks after the farm. The estates served as a kind of small fortification and though there is no need for it today, this state is well preserved.

These bigger properties consist mostly of three big buildings, grouped around a big place and build together: The main house, which is very elaborate done, dependant on the money the owner has, the stables which are opposite and the big barn connecting the stables and the main building. The place is closed by a simple wall with a nicely decorated  gate, which gives the first impression about the wealth of the owner and his farm or estate. On ground level not many windows can be found on the outer walls, and if so, then they are small or of a late date. The barn has none on the outside, but  two huge doors, one above the other. On top of these gates is a gable with a tackle which helps to unload the harvest .

In the less noble farms of this kind, life takes place in the inner farmyard. There is the dunghill near the stables, a well near the house, a little fenced herb garden,  hens and geese are allowed to run free, occasionally even the pigs, the kittens are playing and  the guard-dog is chained to a long bar along the wall of the house which allows it to move  and hinder any stranger who might have found his way through the main gate to enter the house.

The grand estates, though they have been nothing else than farms before, banned all the dirt and dung producing livestock to the back of the stable or barn, where they live in a fenced area. There the space between the buildings is not longer a farmyard, but courtyard, with grass, flowers, a tree or two and small useless paths . The front side and entrance of the house (now called mansion) present themselves more noble, the plaster is always fresh whitewashed or shows even a light colour. There may be  a plastered road which leads up to the front door, so that coaches can drive directly to the entrance.  The stable is still where it is , but now on the side of the „courtyard“ only the horses are held, where the poultry and the pics have on their dens on the outside wall.

These big fortified homesteads house a lot of people. Without the owner and his family, which is often not living there at all, up to thirty or even more persons are finding work there - the bailiff and his family, several farm labourers, male and female, maids for the farm work which has to be done in the house and house servants for the owner family.

With the need of more space, these houses needed to be quite big.  With enough space available, they didn‘t build more than a full first story though, but the base area grew up to twenty peds in breadth and up to forty in length . These broad houses required a huge roof, so the number of half-storeys grew up to seven! Gables were build in the roofs to allow light in, though only towards the courtyard.

These houses are mostly build out of stone, though the stone may be covered with whitewashed plaster. On the east coast slate is used for the roofs, on the west coast  tiles are common as well.
Some of these estates have a hulkroof which is quite steep and curved, distinctly looking as if a boat‘s hulk was turned upside down.

Only recently erected mansions may have more full storeys, but they  tend to go away from the closed form as well and set the house in a distance to the stable and barns.

The farmhouses

Though these wooden houses have of course changed  in appearance and how they are built since the time of the Darians in 12 000 b.S. , they have still much in common with them. They might have now a fundament out of stone and the walls of the ground level may be out of  brick or clay, but the rest of the house is still entirely out of wood and the roof made with straw, reed or wooden shingles. At times the coloured patterns on the whitewashed walls in the rooms are the same as when the Glandorians arrived. The floor plan hasn‘t changed much, though sometimes the barn is now attached to the main house  in a right angle (?) . But the front side of the ensemble is still preferred to face to the south if possible. The reason may be, that most of their inhabitants are mainly of Darian blood, some even claim that they are pure Darians, though this may be doubted after twelve millennia. Normally the buildings are big enough to house a family, with the grandparents, maybe an uncle or aunt, a farm labourer and a maid.

What material is used depends where exactly the buildings are located. So near or in a forest where the farmer owns a patch of trees the house will be entirely out of wood. In regions where wood is scarcer due to the deforestation centuries ago and a potential house builder has to buy the boles and blanks, he may only do the roof truss out of it. Common are now as well a mixture out of wood and clay walls, or wood and brickwalls,  the wood giving the stability and the clay mixed with straw or the bricks filling the spaces in-between. Sometimes the wooden structure is visible, sometimes not.
The houses are build more in an ensemble now than in old times. The upcoming wars seem to have forced the inhabitants to stick closer together and occasional the effort was made to fence the whole village. (palisades). The tavern and the fire pond is now mostly in the middle of the village, the temple and quarters for a priest or two though at the rim - perhaps to allow more privacy when worshipping.

The Huts and Shags

Poor people don‘t have the choice of the kind of house they would like to own or which material they prefer. Especially those thrown out of the place where their ancestors lived for centuries, due to a war or economic reasons don‘t think about where or how to build the shelter they need. In old times those few of the Glandorians who didn‘t manage to stay close to their conquering brothers, those of early mixed blood or those who just didn‘t fit in any society were forced to take what they found - either whale bones and skin left over from the big whaling business - or any piece of wood from the next forest. Their tradition they gave to their children where not the thatched wooden houses of the farms or the stone houses, but the shags and huts out of whatever  material was available. They might have gained some wealth later, but their houses didn‘t show any of the above described characteristic features.
The best example are the settlements on the Mithral coast. After the Glandorians had mixed slowly with the Darian to form the Avennorian tribe all these moved in this area who didn‘t find a place in the new society, but due to the harsh living conditions there never assembled any notable wealth. Uprooted they hadn‘t any tradition they carried with them and most of the villages and small towns from Parthanul up  to Holt have more or less flat roofs, with the exception of Marduran, which was able to afford some more sophisticated buildings.

Special Features and Buildings

Stonehouses can be found elsewhere in Santharia as the houses build out of a wooden structure  filled with another material. There are however two special features which are only seen in Manthria and Brendolan in regions which did once belong to the Avennorian Kingdom.

The  Hulk-Roofs

Old stories tell us, that for the  first longhouse Troy Ciosa build he used the hulk of his ship which ran aground on the shores of XXX (Darian name for the peninsula), the place Ciosa was built later. It was of course smashed in parts and not able to sail anymore, but lore tells, that all his man lifted it up, turned it around and put it on top of some walls erected before. This can be doubted, he might just have done it like it was done for the last millennia: If a boat or bigger vessel, be it a XXX or YYY was too old and insecure to be used as ship, its planks were taken apart and reused as the supporting parts of a roof. Some might have needed to be replaced with new ones, but in general they could be utilised, saving his owner a lot of money. Or they were sold to people as a cheap surrogate for new wooden boles who wanted to build a shag, a barn or even a house, thus bringing in money as well.  This is done till today, with all sizes of buildings, but the old ship‘s hulks are only used for secondary structures like barns and storage houses, where it doesn‘t matter, if the roof leaks in places. Sometimes smaller boats can be seen on meadows, their hulk turned around and placed on a few boles, to give the cattle shelter, be it from rain or the sun.

However, when the Avennorian tribe grew with importance, influence and wealth it became fashion, to have a house with a Hulkroof, as they were called by then. It was seen as an Avennorian tradition, and now new buildings got new roofs, build in this way. This was of course more expensive than a roof with straight timbers, but the prestige gained was worth the prize.

Whalebone structures

Even more noticeable as the hulk roofs are structures out of whalebones which can be found till today quite frequently along the east coast, mostly south of Ciosa, though some a found in the north as well, but not farther up than where the Mashdai River joins the sea. It is said that in former times, in the first centuries after the landing of the {insert name of Troy‘s ship} at XX, all Glandorian houses were build out of whalebones, like it is mentioned in a fragment found by Capher, a compendium-researcher, some years ago in the library of the Starcharts Astrendum:

„The Avennorians' houses near the sea are dome shaped whale boned structures covered with whale skin. In the towns and central land areas their houses are dome shaped whale boned structures chinked with stone or wood and covered with moss or sod. Some of the houses especially the ones owned by the wealthier people are ornately covered with the insides of oyster shells, which reflect the sun and give of a rainbow of colour. The King's palace is completely covered with such shells inside and out. All of the houses have windows made of finely crushed shells on top of their houses to allow the sun to warm and show off the home.“

Now researchers assume, that this is only the imagination of a collector of historical based myths, not an accurate description of how the Glandorians build their houses, nor how their king lived. The knowledge how to do windows out of finely crushed shells  is lost as well - if they existed at all.

Today these whalebone structures are rarely used as living quaters, and if, only by the poorest part of the population. Most times they are serve for storage and working purposes along the coast, where the wind carries the smells away more easily, which are part of the whaling business.  The flensing docks near Klinsor are probably the most famous example, being the biggest of their kind. They are around  two peds high and up to five in diameter, of dome shaped structure, but one connected to the next , so that long halls are formed in which the business takes place.

I think I don‘t describe them in more detail here, that could be an extra entry. What I don‘t like is the impression which one could have now - that the Darian learned how to do it and the Shendar used this knowledge !  :

Shells and other Ornamentation

Prized are the Avennorian houses  because of their decoration with  the shells of oysters, the highly prized pearlfather of the trysters and all the embellishing substances and material made out of crushed or less perfect shells.

The most valuable, perfect shells are only used inside the houses, as decoration around windows and door frames in the visitor room or the main living rooms if the owner can afford it. The mantelpiece may well be loaded with pearlfather shells as some of the furniture. In wall panels or the filling of doors are often used a prepared, formerly not so perfect shell of oysters. The chalky outside of the shells are removed with certain dangerous liquids till the shell itself loses all its stiffness and can be pressed to a flat shimmering piece. Many are glued carefully together, so that a magnificent plane piece of pearlfather is formed which is put on a support, most often a thin wooden plate. What could not be used for these panel is crushed till it is a fine powder, then mixed with a special kind of glue and used as a weather tight paint on the granite outside of the house. This pearlfather paint looks especially nice on the darker varieties of the granite like it is used in Ciosa and neighbouring big towns. It adds a light shimmer to the dark appearance which is a beautiful sight when the sun shines after a short shower. One building in Ciosa excels with the use of tis paint: The Starcharts Astrendum has not its walls, but its roofs covered with this colour, the slates of the big central dome as well as the main two towers and the plenty little ones. A from the central dome mirrored ray of the Injèrá might well be the first glimpse a ship approaching Ciosa gets of the town.

To compare the shell-decoration of the Avennorians with another of their customs  - the carvings and wooden decoration of the houses in the interior of the country may for some seem like the comparison of a beautiful Centoraurian horse with a brinn‘sy of the Ráhaz-Dáth. But  a Centoraurian horse might look strange in the wilderness of the desert, so the shell ornamentation would be off on a wooden farmhouse. However, the carvings like those in Shneerin as the light planks and slender boles in the gable of the many wooden houses, which were added in a way so that they form rectangles, triangles and so on have their own beauty - and a functionality which lack the shell-covert beauties of the towns and estates.  

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 2/17/06 23:30

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2006, 16:47:00 »

Too much?I'm still not finished and could have written much more! ;)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2006, 16:13:00 »

Hmmm... Now that's really quite a bit you have here for the Housing section, Talia. I'm still not through with it. However, the amount of detail makes me wonder if we shouldn't make an own sub-entry for housing, like we have e.g. for Erpheronian clothing when Rayne got carried away a bit. So that we have the rough overview in the tribe entry and the details in seperate form. Guess we shouldn't pack too much information into a monster entry, but split it up a bit, and this looks like a good opportunity, - What do you think?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2006, 16:21:00 »

I feared you would say this! :lol  And that I have to do a short version... :(  

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2006, 16:55:00 »

Welcome to my world :p  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]