Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: The Avennorian Men ("Arrived Tribe")  (Read 11211 times)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 February 2006, 08:40:00 »

@Talia: short reply: I think the import of marble is fine, if you think they'd consider it worth the effort to carry the marble through half the province, not a light task in my eyes.

Perhaps we could put it like this: in their pride, the Avennorians were ready to conquer the western seas much like they had done with the eastern seas. To make a great kick-off, they started with building a port in the style of Ciosa. When the domination of the western seas never came to them, they started to build with local (and therefore cheaper) materials, like the lighter marble from Griffin's Marl. All in all, this results in the old city parts being dark, like you describe above, but the newer parts are lighter...

040705-110705. My Inspiration.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and still count myself king of infinite space" - Shakespear's Hamlet
Unofficial Typolice of Santharia

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 22 February 2006, 17:07:00 »

Great descriptions, Talia - what we've only sketched so far roughly now lends the Avennorians its identity with these details provided. And everything seems to have it place from the historical point of view and out of the necessity the new situation required. So it has all developed and thus is very realistic, and still as diverse as it can be within the layed out confines. I really like it! :thumbup

Good to see as well that Ravenport will be a "darker town", that fits to the term and helps build connections, even if there's an additional story behind on how the term "Raven" developed. :)

Some small corrections:

- Ciosa's first name is "Troi", not "Troy" (no Greek influence there!)
- His ship was called the "Svarring Joling"
- Guess "hull" is the most common term, personally haven't heard "hulk" used in this context (though Leo claims that its an option)

Why don't you like the impression "that the Darian learned how to do it and that the Shendar used this knowledge" - actually that sounds like an interesting deduction!

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 22 February 2006, 17:16:00 »

Well, :lol , the last goes against my "national pride" - I'm Shendar and developed the domes , it was my idea - and now these small, blond, dirty men are coming from the north and say: Look , we had them before and your anchesters just copied them...... darn, I wished I hadn't uncovered this part of history ;)  :p  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 04 March 2006, 12:50:00 »

Ok, I'll go ahead and prepare the Housing in an own entry and then will see to cut the information down a bit to fit into the main entry, okeydokey?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2006, 12:21:00 »

I'll try to write a short summary up tonight and look through the longer part...

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2006, 13:34:00 »

I'm already preparing the long version right now (and fix typos and such I find there), so if you can manage the short version, that would be great. :D  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2006, 15:35:00 »

The Avennorians have many different styles of housing due to their mixed ancestries and the influence of fashion imported from other tribes or areas which have formed the face of many a town. As locally found building material has been used mainly, the appearance of houses and towns varies with the area in which they are located as with the money the future owner had available.

So all can be found from the primitive hut made out wood to the finest manor house out of white Varcopasian granite a rich merchant has built for his wife. Generally the housing can be divided into three main categories:

The town houses:
Representation is one of their purposes - next to actually housing a family. So they are often build in a grand style, out of dark grey granite with black slates on the roofs and ornamentation out of shells like in the ancient Ciosa or out of bricks and wood, but as elegant as elsewhere, in the comparatively young Lorehaven.

The Big Estates:
Often the  financial base of a rich merchant living in the towns these former fortified farmhouses, situated in the flatter, fertile areas of Avennoria, are of a grandeur showing of the wealth of their owners. The traditional, costly hulk-shaped roofs are found there even more often than in towns.

The farms:
The simpler farmhouses are located in the middle of the country, near the forests and where the soil isn‘t as fertile as in the coastal regions. Here still  some  Darian influence can be imagined despite the merging of the tribes millennia ago.

Avennorian characteristics:
There are many individual or local customs, which are worth mentioning like the whalebone huts on the east coast or the shell-ornamentation of the houses or the wooden carvings of farmhouses like in Shneerin.

Of course Avennoria knows as any other regions, be it in the country or the towns, the poor huts which don‘t follow any tradition, but are built obeying the need to use what is available and cheap to realise .

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 March 2006, 13:11:00 »

Wow! Fantastic! I applaud, I bow, I am awed by the detail, and integration of everything.  So I am gathering that the old tribes need to be updated all the way to 1666 A.S?

Is that the way it is to be done? And when you add all of the influences that other major peoples have contributed to the original, you have a more complex, yet richer, people, housing; BTW I love the boat-roofed idea, it was inspired.

I am glad you kept in the shell idea I had.  As in my mind I wanted those coming over a rise heading down into the capitol, to see the myriad of rainbow colors bursting forth as the sunlight touched them.  Making the Capitol dome like a beacon of fire!! in my original entry.

I also like the way the Shendar were incorporated into the Avenorians- called the Darian men??

To really do justice to this new scheme of things you need to do some heavy research into all or any races of people that may influence your original people.  I like it alot, but it can be very intimidating as well.

Well I told Art I would pop in and see if I could come with anymore ideas, but honestly I cannot see any.  However since you are doing one section at a time, I am not sure how far you have gotten unless I ask.

So, with some trepidation, what do you need and what do you think I could work on, without being overwhelmed.  I have limited comp time, since I am being monitored by nurses and live in a self-assisted apartments.  That way they can help me, if and when, I need it.

I sneak comp time if I think I can get away with it, without being caught.  I got caught once and was told they would pull my comp for a week if they caught me again, and then they threatned me with more if it continued.  So, since I do not want to lose my comp time, I have to be careful.  Thanks for understanding.

Capher.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2006, 08:33:00 »

I continue a bit here, first starting with Coat of Arms and Territory, then moving on to the People section. Coat of Arms can remain pretty much unchanged as far as I can see (we've already updated that when Koldar made the coat of arms), and Territory also doesn't need dramatic changes. Nevertheless adjustments were necessary, so here are these two sections in the current state - People section still to come...

Coat of Arms/Sign.
The Avennorian coat of arms consists of six shells, ordered in twos in three offset vertical columns on a shield with deep blue background. The six shells stand for the former large regions of the Kingdom, and show - as does the blue background - the strong ties these people have to the sea, which they deem as their life-giver.

Territory.
The territory of the ancient Avennorian kingdom consisted of mostly flat, fertile land interspersed with a few mountain ranges in the northeastern parts (the Mithral Mountains and the Caetytharin Mountains) and the Griffon's Marl in the south plus a couple of larger forests. In the first millenia of their arrival the Avennorians conquered the lands which once belonged to the Darians, driving many of them to the south. They fought fierce wars with the Tethinrhim elves and the Maeverhim in the Auturian Woods and the Sharadon Forest for lumber once the natural resources started to dwindle. The Avennorians also consider the sea their territory and lay claim to whatever they find in it, whether it is alive, dead or sunken.

Their first settlement was called Ciosa. Around the time of the 5th century b.S. the natural boundaries of the former kingdom from east to west are as follows: The Adanian Sea and the Yanthian Gulf in the east, the lands including the complete Narfost Plain in the south, the Aetryam Sea in the west, up until the banks of the Gulf of Maraya and in the north the Avennorians claimed around a quarter of the Auturian Woods and half of the Mithral Mountains range, the natural border was along the line of the Mashdai, continued at the Nekoma River.

Today the Avennorians mostly inhabit the Santharian province of Manthria, which stretches over the whole Auturian Woods and also includes the comple Mithral Mountains range. To the south the province however only reaches as far as Griffin's Marl.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 27 March 2006, 09:44:00 »

The Narfost plain is pretty empty, I wonder, what they wanted there. Meh'met as one of the oldest Shendar settlement may have suffered or vanished even for some time. Is there anything already planned when the kingdom existed in this extension and when and out of which reason they had to retreat? Or does this mean some nice "battles" coming between you and me over this territory (Shendar , Bardavos, with Varcopas in the back versus the Avennorians?) They obviously never could count Bardavos to their territory.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 27 March 2006, 10:46:00 »

Well, I guess below the Narfost Plain the desert basically starts. Of course Bardavos and the region around it is still wetter, but I think this region wasn't really in the Avennorians interest. Deserts are nothing for water people. The Darians retreated mostly to this region, so the Avennorians probably thought: Let them get those deserts and we'll see to conquer more lands to the north and west, these are much more promising. The Narfost Plains could have been just a loose border.

Don't know if the origins of Bardavos are much developed, but it is a town between tribes in a way - the Avennorians not caring to go further south, the Shendar dominating the desert region, so in between Bardavos could have had its origins as an independent town.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 27 March 2006, 14:15:00 »

And as promised, here's more:

People.
There's a proverb in Santharia that says "An Avennorian isn't an Avennorian" and another one goes "Make sure to speak right to an Avennorian". This basically means that you can't put all Avennorians in the same drawer and you need to be cautious not to hurt feelings with lightly spoken words about a certain aspect of Avennorian heritage. Too many different cultures have mixed here and one cannot easily filter out what defines the typical representative of this tribe. The tribe that conquered the territory from the Darians, the Glandorians, were once described as adventurous, audacious, brave, dominating, yes even bloodthirsty, and not to forget greedy - these people today still represent to a great degree the major part of Avennorians nobility. The Darians on the other hand, those that the Glandorians subdued, were very different: calm, honest, friendly, cheery and peaceful - more farmers than courageous warriors, and in the eyes of the Glandorians they seemed weak and primitive. They formed the lower classes in Avennorian society. Shan'Thai slaves were added to the mix eventually, however, the Thairans didn't accept their fate as easily as the Darians and proved their tremendous worth to their masters. They turned out to be masters in trade, business and industry, all respected Glandorian virtues, so that they soon changed status and even were allowed to marry into "pureblooded" Glandorian families. Eventually the strict class differences between all the cultures became obsolete, and even though there are still a good deal of "Purebloods", it is just a minority. Nevertheless one needs to be careful when talking to an Avennorian, as one can never be sure to which line he or she belongs and if there are hidden resentments against another tribe are lingering. So unless one understands the background of a person and knows how to approach him or her, talking about ancestry with an Avennorian should be avoided at any cost.

As has been already mentioned, it is very difficult to characterize the typical Avennorian, so be aware that any member of the tribe you might encounter can have more Darian or Thairan than Glandorian blood, and therefore seems not to match the following Glandorian-based description at all. However, most Avennorians are said to actually have Glandorian roots in the one way ot the other, and these we want to sketch here: Typical for those people is a wandering spirit. They are always looking for adventure, especially if it involves searching for gold, treasure or anything to make them wealthy or increase their fame among their own people. Earning respect is key in this society - this is also what the subjugated Darians learned and later on the Thairan slaves. It shouldn't be concealed here that most Avennorians are a quite greedy people and they don’t much care how they get their wealth, even more they know how to make their intentions not that obvious. In the course of the millenia they've changed to more peaceful means to acquire their goals, though. They are cunning and sly, and often can play a role for a certain purpose so well that even their closest friends believe what they are supposed to believe. While some call them visionary and inventive in their constant striving to find new ways to enrich themselves, others see them as power hungry and dangerous for the sake of a healthy society. Competition to see who is the wealthiest has incurred many a duel and double-crossing each other, including their own kin and even closest family members. Indeed, bribery and corruption are the often very visible downsides of the Avennorian lust for fame, and the fact that the Santharian underground is thriving in the Avennorian dominated province of Manthria, also seems not to be coincidental.

Many Avennorians are also said to have special physical abilities. This also determines their way of life to a certain extent as it makes them superior to others when it comes to work at sea. For example they have an extraordinary lung capacity, allowing them to stay under water for several minutes with ease, which makes them just perfect for pearl diving. They can also dive at depths that would cause instant death to a normal human. Finally it is confirmed that they can slow down their heartbeats to a point where others might think these people are already dead. There are many stories about people who have managed to escape certain death by pretending to have been lethally hurt in battle - if the story speaks about an Avennorian, you can buy it!  

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 April 2006, 15:02:00 »

Isnt this entry already finished and posted? Why does it have the pennpaper symbol?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 April 2006, 23:52:00 »

Art keeps revamping the remaining sections. So only a few sections are rewritten and uploaded every update. I think...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 12 April 2006, 06:14:00 »

I like you description of these people, Art, you brought it to the point. I think I have some additional ideas now as well, how to write the clothes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]