Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: The Zirghurim Clan  (Read 25323 times)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 06 January 2008, 16:26:19 »

I hate commenters who don't leave any constructive criticism, and yet I have become one of them.  Congratulations, Judy, on an excellent Tribe entry!  The dwarves just got a lot more versatile and interesting with your addition.  I'm selfishly wondering, have the Zirghurim established regular trade with human civilization (there's an oxymoron for you)?

[Kelancey drools, dreaming of dwarven-crafted trephines, scarificators, and lancets]

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #46 on: 06 January 2008, 22:25:57 »

Oh, absolutely!  Almost all dwarven clans DO trade with humans, though most have set up a separate trading post to keep their home cavern private.  The Zirg are a lot more open and xenophiliac, and humans (and elves, orcs, brownies, gnomes, etc.) of peaceful intent are welcome to trade, visit, and even tour their premises as paying guests.

However, the Zirg aren't primarily miners and smiths, like most of their brethren.    What I can do for you is look up a clan that WOULD produce fine implements (careless me not to have thought of it!) and add the information into the entry so that you can then cross-reference it in your Medical & Surgical Implements (nice start, btw!)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 January 2008, 03:52:09 »

I got distracted for a while, but here's the updated version of the map.  I hope I got it right. 

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 March 2008, 19:25:43 »

Hello Judith! :) Do you still need a final read-through here?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 April 2008, 02:34:18 »

Is this tribe going to be approved any time soon? As a mage lover, this is such a perfect race for a mage...whereas all of the other dwarves are much more combat related, it is nice to see a magically inclined dwarven tribe. It is actually interesting to note that the largest magic school in all Sarvonia actually owes alot of debt to dwarves and orcs than humans, it would seem...

Overall, this is a wonderful and immensely detailed entry and I have to wonder why it was not approved earlier. I would think that a new tribe would be something to be celebrated and talked about! I'd love to see such a tribe as this as a possible source for a mage character on the RP side.   :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 18 April 2008, 02:40:58 by Azhira El´rosse » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #50 on: 18 April 2008, 03:17:22 »

Oh, I'd love to get this one up :D There are various Judy entries which are 90% finished but I rarely get a sign that it is done, and there a dozens of those... We should work on that, Judy! ;) - Well, this one took 2 years by now, so that's quite a bit.

From what I can see here the only section missing now is Tools, Weapons, and Utensils, so maybe this can be added soon - and then I'll put it up. Or I put it up already, and we'll let this section be added later. At any rate, the faster we can put it up the better.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18 April 2008, 05:48:53 »

*BUMP* So everyone can catch this VERY important update on the Recent list... grin grin grin

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #52 on: 18 April 2008, 09:00:15 »

To be fair, Art, the unfinished ones are generally ones where I've requested other input.  I do want Santharia to stay a team project, and I'd rather something waits for months than push it through with a cocky assumption that I know everything there is to know about the world... :)

Look at the School of Tunes, for example.  I know Talia has not been around, but I did not want to step on her toes by making judgement calls about a city (Bardavos) that she might have had plans for.

However, it's waited far too long and I need to have that information available for people - the curriculum and ranking, for example.  Entries are not carved in stone and things can always be changed later if absolutely necessary.

I know I have bent over backwards to try to accommodate and rationalize all kinds of strange decisions and entries made in the past, reconciling claims and visions that seemed incompatible.

Hopefully if I am to finish any of these languishing entries people will allow me some grace and freedom to proceed on my own, since there are less and less of us to work together with...

So yes, I'll start pulling up some of the languishers and perhaps our eager newcomers will assist in contributing comments and ideas to finish things off.   It would be delightful to do something as a project together, even with one other person as Kelancy and I have done in the past.

Will put the Zirg back on priority list, and do the tools - hopefully magic people will not be too contradicted...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #53 on: 18 April 2008, 14:24:18 »

Perhaps you should push up these entries more often, Judy, so that the people in question see  them and are reminded that there waits work. It would help however, if you answer calls as Corens above. (openly, if you have sent him a private mail, so that others are informed as well).

To Bardavos: I have a bad conscience every time I think at it (and you waiting). I didn't write anything down yet for you, because I have architectural problems with the Sharadon dividing it into two halfs, especially in spring. But I think I throw out my problems and ideas somewhen soon; I don't see now me finishing it and will probably give it free for development for somebody else - experienced!

The other coming entry was the music submission, right? If I remember right, there are no problems left concerning the written notes (??). Lucirina will have had the idea of printing them (in Varcopas) and so her book will spread farther than any handwritten ones.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #54 on: 25 June 2008, 23:46:19 »

I think the description is better than the picture, but I wanted to try Terragen out.

This mountain scene was generated in Terragen but, as you can see, has been almost completely repainted over.  Still, it really helped me to get a sense for the perspective and shadows of the landscape.   This shows one of the main Zirghurim mountains, Kaeryetenyim the Watcher.

I quote from above:

Poised on the slopes of Mount Watcher (the Ximaxian humans borrowed the translation of the ThergerimTaal name), this beautiful and unique cavern overlooks the Bay of the Sky. It is as if the entire peak of the mountain has been hollowed out and then pierced through with windows, tunnels, lookouts, balconies, and other features – an impossible feat of engineering and a stunning landmark. The workspaces are all found here at the apex of the mountain, airy and well-lit, while the sleepingcaves are set safely deep below, accessed by liftshafts with brownie-designed liftboxes.  By day from inside the peak, the mountain top seems to float with a few piers and pillars of living rock still supporting it above lines of udezeran-blue sky and turquoise water – all is light and air and cloudscapes drifting by. By night, observing the Watcher from afar, one sees an entire mountain top radiant as a lighthouse, bright with dwarven fires, magical illuminations, and individual lanterns and glowglobes.

Yeah, well, the picture doesn't live up to that lyrical description, but perhaps it'll provoke me to get this entry finally ready for the next update.  And who knows, perhaps the illustration will be good enough to go along with it?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #55 on: 26 June 2008, 00:04:17 »

It is a nice picture, Judy, but don't you think it is a bit too much coloured, especially the sky is too blue (even for a night picture, maybe use a different blue)? This is what makes it different from other submissions on the site, maybe tone the colours down a bit?

When is update, next week, not this one. If you wish I have a last read through next week.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #56 on: 26 June 2008, 01:58:03 »

This is pretty cool, Judy! :)  The idea of first using TerraGen and then draw over on the picture worked very well here I think. There are some typical Terragen distorted parts visible which could be fixed a bit - how about trying to use a real texture on it, and blend it into the picture by making it half transparent, as we do it e.g. at the maps? Worth a try, I'd say. Could be tried at the mountain and at the grass as well.

Regarding the sky and the colour personally I don't object that much - it adds a certain magic/mystery touch to it. Maybe another blue is still better, though.

If you have those windows on an own layer you might also try applying a shadow effect to it. This might result in a more 3d look, so that the windows appear as set into the mountain stone.

Anyway, I think the result is already pretty good. Not entirely perfect yet, but pretty cool so far! thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #57 on: 26 June 2008, 07:03:28 »

I had a closer look now, Judy.

You need to do something with the sky, there are the strokes of the brush you used clearly visible (round darker dots, then the path you took). You know better how to avoid that ;)

As Art already said, maybe some shadows at the windows, they look slightly set on the mountain, you still see, that these were an extra layer.

(You have been tired, but you wanted this pic go up, take more time to illustrate this great entry, it deserves a better quality!)

Edit: Just take out some saturation and you don't need to alter the colour
« Last Edit: 26 June 2008, 07:11:42 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 26 June 2008, 09:45:23 »

Art and Talia, thanks for the comments!   

This is more intended as an experiment with Terragen than an offer of a finished picture, as I thought I'd said in my introduction.   Yes, it was late at night and my eyes were going blurry, but I could still see the streaky sky and patchy windows, honest! :)

I wasn't going to put in any further work UNLESS people thought it was worth it - is the concept good enough, are the lines and shadows and perspectives of the landscape nicely dramatic, and so on?  If we want a completely different mountain shape, for example, or different vegetation, that requires regenerating the landscape in Terragen, with its new lighting, overlay, and so on. 

Same with the colours - the palette is Terragen's, so if it's too saturated that can indeed be easily fixed, but I wanted to see how it would 'feel' and look in the picture.

So - do I start from scratch, or does this have potential?  (As I just said to Tha'eli, no work is wasted, so be honest!)   

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #59 on: 26 June 2008, 14:52:06 »

Definitely worth tweaking only the already existing result in my point of view, Judy! It has more than just great potential - and using TerraGen that way might also be a good idea for future projects, especially where landscapes are dominating the picture.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]