Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The Zirghurim Clan  (Read 24896 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 07 February 2007, 10:42:33 »

buck  BUMP!   (gulp)  This topic ALMOST died and I didn't realize it wasn't up on the site until I tried doing a search for some info I needed....  huh

MUST start FINISHING entries, especially important ones....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 February 2007, 22:25:51 »

Nice entry! Can't wait to see the Zirghurim up! You may want to throw in  abit on Silkstone though, somwhere in the history? Mabye those blankets of thiers are Silkstone made? Rock Tocon perhaps?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 February 2007, 04:39:49 »

I really need an address from you Judith!!!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 14 February 2007, 05:00:56 »

An email or a snail mail?  Cos if it's the second, you'll have to wait a couple of weeks and I'll give you the Korean one...  :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 February 2007, 03:27:40 »

Yep the Korean one please!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 28 December 2007, 20:58:50 »

Still on Judith's to-do (to finalize, actually) list - bumping to get it out of the depths.

This can be ref'fed in the master Xaramon Development list as well.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 31 December 2007, 20:57:24 »

Comments on the third revision of the Zirghurim are appreciated!  They have languished long enough...

Gratitude overall to Thuja, Mina, Erian, and Marvin for their assistance in bringing the Xirg this far. Talia's critique and suggestions were particularly helpful in this most recent revision - thanks!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 03 January 2008, 01:13:44 »

Oh, it seems that over time this entry hasn't only grown in size but ripened as well, so that it is now like a delicious wine!

- Is there a translation for the word "Hlahujit"? I read below that it's "Fire-Wombed". That could be added to the Overview as well.

- Exceptional creativity as usual here! Enjoyed that "Four Races Ball" and details like "one silvery birdcage shaped seemingly only of sparkling tresses held a tiny live songbird" lol But also that despite about female beards and the practices of depilation and those bad ‘abovegrounder’ influences... Hilarious! rolling The way you express things always makes me chuckle:  "the overall shape [of dwarven women] resembles that of a gnomish minuteglass"... *hihi* These are very good pictures that have the fantasy touch we need here, lovely!

- Oremark: Which reminds me I still need to do some more of those! Are the Zirghurim included already in your sketches you made a while ago? Have to investigate and try to work on something in this respect. Having a complete collection of oremarks can't hurt!

- Also a nice idea to deduce from the lava that the Zirghurim have down there the fact that they are "less claustrophiliac" and see the Injèrá as something that is related to them in a way :) As alway - interesting connections you construct here!

- clap *applaudes the description of the Hlahujit Fire-Wombed* Great, literally fantastic description, makes a really spectacular sight worth for sight-seeing. The term "Hlahujim" is mentioned, but not explained as such, could be added in brackets.

- "Mount Watcher" - don't know where that name hails from, but we already have a "Great Watcher" mountain in the uttermost NW section of the Manthrian map. Is this name mentioned elsewhere? Otherwise we might try to avoid a double-naming, maybe give it a similar, slightly twisted meaning?

Got as far as the Food section - will try to continue asap. Entry of course is brilliant, not much discussion needed about that. It's just the best from the best!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04 January 2008, 06:05:58 »

Um, if Hoa Rusun is connected to the Bay of the Sky, as the entry seems to suggests (coves that open into the Bay), where's the Land of Withdrawing Waves?  Currently I have it as a narrow strip of land between Hoa Rusun and the Bay of the Sky.  That could be changed, of course, but it seems to be the only location that fits the descriptions we have of it (which we could of course also change).  It also seems to necessitate travelling through Zirghurim territory to get into or out of the peninsula, which might be problematic.  Perhaps the Zirghurim's fishing could be conducted further south, at the area between what I labelled 'fortress' and 'small port' on this map?  That area could be politically part of Hoa Rusun's territory too, only separated (at least on the surface) by a strip of Human-controlled land leading to the Land of Withdrawing Waves. 

In fact, every race which was under treaty at the time was contacted to assist in this great project of binding and guarding the Orb.
Just wondering, which treaty was being referred to here?  I can't seem to find any other mentions of a treaty in the entry. 

Also, I'm slightly confused about which of the mountains are supposed to be volcanic.  The entry seems to suggest that all four ranges are volcanic, but that map you made some time ago only shows the Wanderers as volcanoes.  Or was it marking only active volcanoes? 

It might also be a good idea to mention somewhere that the Zirghurim claim territory on the surface as well, unlike other Dwarven clans. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 05 January 2008, 02:12:54 »

Ok, more comments:

- In notice that you mention in the Government section that more details can be found in the "Mitharim clan entry". We should consider moving the imformation there in a bit adjusted form to the main Dwarves entry eventually, as what we have there at the Mitharim is pretty much valid for most dwarven tribes, so it's a general thing. There might be some exceptions, but these would be addressed a bit in the main Dwarves entry.

- Upon checking the main Dwarves entry I saw that the Zirghurim aren't mentioned in that list yet. Will be added, steelmark as well as soon as I get to it. I rember that the Morgerim are listed there as well, but Thuja hasn't shown up for quite a while (though he popped in once to say that he'll finish these dwarves). So I'm not sure what will come of that.

- Tool, Weapons, Utensils: Are you planning to add something there? These sections might not always be necessary or one could point to the main dwarven entry. The Zirghurim on the other hand might have some fancy technical devices (see below, the "vibrating membranes" thingy you mention), though, that require some creative thinking. Anyway, could still be added later.

- There seems something missing in the Holidays section in the brackets: "(... similar to our Urtengor, which see…)" ?

- I like that new approach to have dwarves with varying belief here and that this is handled with great tolerance. Such a more open tribe of dwarves in various aspects was indeed necessary for a change I think and adds to the multi-cultural concept of the Santharian kingdom. Especially around Ximax we already have a tolerance for orcs, and the Zirghurim fit in here as well nicely, right until the festival days. A very well realized and important idea.

- *hihi* That's a good one: "proclaiming dwarven ‘conquest’ of a feared element" lol

- Here, here: A mistake! It's "Cournanian Calendar", not "Cournian" - at least that's how we used it always on the site. :P - Oh, and some others, this time a misspellings, though these resulted in copying from the Ximax and the Staffs entries: "also referred to as the Ximaxian Academy"! and "multicolored" instead of "multicoloured".

- I notice a slight date inconsistency in the History section. The Fall of Ximax is 773 b.S. (the siege 777-773 b.S.). In the history table on the site the decay of the city is then specified as 733-621 b.S. That should be 773-621. You bring a new version in here with dating the siege 737-733. Don't know where you got it, but I'll adjust that to the other dates.

- Some technical notes on History: If an event is taken directly from the site without alteration (don't know if this is the case here), please mark it e.g. by changing the text to grey. Then I won't have to check and doublecheck an existing entry to determine if it varies.

Also: We need captions for each history event! Only then we can use such events in an entry/history table that is not the Zhirgurim entry/table.

Ok, I'm through and like it very much, Judy :D - Great to see a Bard entry now at the finishing line, it will also be a major dwarven entry to fill our Races section... The details are really great, creative and entertaining! Love it! number1

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 05 January 2008, 04:13:48 »

http://www.kunstderfuge.com/-/midi.asp?file=13/schubert_wanderer_760_1_(c)yogore.mid
Finally found and heard Coren's suggested accompaniment to the Zirghurim!

I think it might be possible to have something very much like this as a Zirg theme - he is quite right in that it suits them - with the pounding dwarven 'hammers' turning into a much more cheerful and rippling melody which rather effectively expresses that outgoing attitude.   It needs more 'fantasy' and magic, though...   hmmm...

Dear sage, thank you for the additional feedback: it will be integrated this week and hopefully the entry will be ready for next update!  :)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 05 January 2008, 22:01:18 »

Mina:  thanks for pointing out that oversight!   I'd like to have a small 'patch' coloured 'dwarven' on the coast where you have suggested, with a double dashed line connecting it to the main enclave of Hoa Rusun, to make it clearer that they have underground AND aboveground territory, in this case both....

I'll try to rewrite that paragraph to make that clearer, if you approve.

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 January 2008, 23:24:47 »

I'll do that, but...what's a double dashed line? 

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 06 January 2008, 01:57:25 »

HOA RUSUN  ============== Coastal Fisheries   

:)      a dashed line indicates something invisible or below, a double one would show a tunnel

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 January 2008, 03:42:06 »

Ah.  I think over here we call them dotted lines or something like that (even though they have no dots). 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]