Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The Zirghurim Clan  (Read 24982 times)
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2006, 19:44:00 »

Aha! Typo found at least i think.  
Quote:
Beard and headhair
 I believe it should be head hair or head-hair as it is not a natural compound word and you are using one to describe the other instead of slurring them together(if this makes any senes.  If not I'll clarify later).  If so, I claim my picture.  While I am here, I am going to compliment you on this ariticle as I was reading through it to find your typos I think i increased my vocabulary tenfold.

Also, I was wondering what Silkstone was as I could not find an entry in the compendium

Drasil Razorfang CD

Edited by: Drasil Razorfang at: 5/26/06 4:17
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2006, 22:09:00 »

Well, pictures for members only ;)

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2006, 03:50:00 »

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's headhair or head hair (probably head-hair too, but I never liked the '-' inbetween words). From what I remember from my English classes, the second way of writing compound words (sp?) is more prefered for most words to keep them from becoming too long.

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2006, 05:51:00 »

@ Talia: Ah well...In that case I shall have to save this for later.

@ Marv:  I was under the impression from my english classes that a compound word(as found in this specific instance) is when you add two words together to create a completly new one.  For example butter+fly= butterfly.  I was also told that if you were planning on using a word as emphasis for another it should be seperated into two words or a clause or hyphanated.  *turns to Bard*  Am I mislead here?

Drasil Razorfang CD

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2006, 10:42:00 »

Compouds are tricky to deal with and often you need to go back to what context the word is specifically put in. This makes *all* the difference when it comes to compounds.

EDIT: After reading the "phrase" in context, I don't think there is a problem with the compound.

www.p081.ezboard.com/fthesantharianrpgboard83.showMessage?topicID=259.topic" target="_blank">

The Santharian Dream ~ Role Playing Basics
Character Creation Guide ~ Restrictions and Age Calculator

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 5/26/06 18:45

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2006, 12:17:00 »

hm...I guess I was taught grammar wrong then.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2006, 12:43:00 »

It isn't that you were necessarily *taught* wrong, it is how you preceive what the teacher says and how you apply it.

They will say something or teach something, but you misunderstand it.  

www.p081.ezboard.com/fthesantharianrpgboard83.showMessage?topicID=259.topic" target="_blank">

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 5/26/06 20:46

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2006, 12:45:00 »

I see...so its always the learners fault then.  :D  

Drasil Razorfang CD

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2006, 12:48:00 »

Not every compound is like that of "Butterfly". Two words creating a completely different word with no relation to the two original. Many compounds simply bring together two ideas like a piece of a puzzle.

But the teachers style of teaching can also be a fault point. My grammar instructors in High School were horrible. Much of what I learned grammatically have been through my composition classes at the local community college and self-taught through continuous writing.

EDIT: My humblest apologizes to Bard Judith for using her thread for grammar instruction. ~bows~

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 5/26/06 20:49

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2006, 12:50:00 »

OH...I thought that when you used one to describe another you used a "-", or at least that was what I was taught.

Also, I guess its probably me considering I have gone to very high-class(as far as education goes) private schools(well I guess economically as well) for my entire life.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2006, 13:48:00 »

The hypen should be used with rarity as it is not good in formal writing and much like what Judith is writing here. It makes it look very informal and "cluttered". What you learn in the classroom (good example of what I was explaining earlier) is not always acceptable in fiction writing. What they teach you in English class is how to write formal papers/essays for college. You have to take special classes to get a different side of things as each genre has different expectations when it comes to grammar.

The hypen does not work for all compounds and I do not like to use them except on occasion where it makes sense. Stay away from hypens in formal writing. Keep the words together or separate them if possible/necessary.

Again, compounds can be tricky and subjective at times.  

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 5/26/06 21:50

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2006, 23:05:00 »

My, it's a good thing I wandered in here!

@ Drasil - nice try, dear, and for reading through the whole entry (my goodness!) you certainly deserve at least a doodle, if not an illustration.  I should hate to put any further restrictions on my 'challenge' because it does sound unfair, but Talia does have a point.  Pictures take a lot of time and energy, even those as crude as mine, and need to go where they can best be utilized - generally for members' entries.  That said, if you have an idea that tempts me I may very well take it into consideration... :smile   so feel free to post it here.

Kalina, you are a darling!  Thank you for your well-argued and beautifully-written defense / definition.  I didn't have the energy.... so I owe you a favour in return.  Next time you need a CD edited, please feel free to bell-ring or 'in-box' me and I shall be happy to take a metaphorical red pencil to it on your behalf.

(Please note all the messy hyphens in the above paragraph... :p  )

Obviously I shall have to be cautious and restrain my more poetic flights of linguistic fancy, lest I stray into areas of self-expression deemed to be erroneous by those who have appointed themselves chief bard-scrutinizers!  On the plus side, as Coren pointed out to me, I shall expect to have my forthcoming submissions read in exquisite detail... :devilish  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2006, 00:30:00 »

Hmm, maybe I should offer to sing&dance...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2006, 00:32:00 »

People, I think you have missed something here - a language is a living thing which grows and alters and you can't put it in chains saying, it is like this or like this.
We here in Germany had a spelling revision, which is very much discussed about - and revised and again revised, the whole country is divided (my husband is against it, I'm for it) , the newspapers partly agreed to it and used it, others boycotted (?) it. I'm now sometimes unsure, how something is written, when Helen-Elise is asking me and there was a lot of misinterpreting possible in some case, depending where you cut the words, which is now easier than before - a very interesting time for any linguist, I tell you!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 28 May 2006, 01:39:00 »

~blushes furiously at Judith's compliments~ Thank you Judith. I know we have had grammatical problems on the RPG board and I am usually the one being called >.< I don't know all but I do know some and where to look it I don't know for sure lol.

But yes, Talia is right. Language is a very hard thing to but restraints on, yet there are basic rules which make sense to follow and almost need to be followed for formal writing. Yes this is difficult for ESL people but even they know how to usually spell decently, capitalize, and the like. I am usually harder on those whose english is their native. They should almost know better in most cases. (I have given up on learning any language but my native...english >.<)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]