Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I need help... again... >.<  (Read 2678 times)
Kendo Gyoshin

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 14 December 2002, 23:52:00 »

I'm coming up with an RPG, and I don't really know what I should call one of my continents. It's fantasy, fiction (duh! >.< I amaze myself at my own stupidity sometimes), and full of adventure!!! ^_^" okay right now it's practically nothing, but maybe someday it will grow to be great!!! ^_^" Anyways, if you have any suggestions that are SERIOUS, please tell me! Thanks, all.  

Running... I'm always running... well no more...

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2002, 03:58:00 »

Latin dictionaries are nice if you can pull something out of your head. A lot of times you can pull random words out of thin air and find that it works perfectly for your situation. Just try to be original.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2002, 08:56:00 »

Some other ideas for nomenclature of countries, beasts, plants, people, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make an anagram of your favorite food, colour or piece of clothing.  Omit letters where necessary.

eg:  turquoise =>    Quirestou  Suriteoq  Utusuori
eg:  potatoes    =>   Toposta   Sotape    Soteta

Type letters on the keyboard with your eyes closed.  Open them and work with what you've got. Add vowels where needed.

eg:  eicyzmqwpvnkwonsdmcl => Cyzem   Kwonsi  Demcele

Type a consonant, a vowel, a consonant, a vowel, etc. until it looks long enough.  Add and omit letters as needed to tweak.

eg:  bajopewalynetacetokahe  => Jopewa  Walyn  Cetoka

Stand in the middle of your room with your eyes closed.  Spin around, open them, and take the first piece of printed material you see.  Use its title, author, headline, etc. to create an evocative name.

eg: Alistair Maclean = Listaire, Leanal, Matai
eg:  Krylon Crafter's Gold/Or Spray Paint =  Orlon, Orlaint
eg:  Dinosaurs! Discover Prehistoric Giants = Sauriant, Sauric

Flip through the index of any atlas to discover a thousand fantastic place names.  Choose an uncommon or unfamiliar one (not 'America', say), and alter it so that there are no Terran associations.  Russia, Central Africa, Canada (Native American) are good for interesting names...

eg:  Belarus => Balaris
eg:  Senegal => Negala
eg: Atikokan  (my home town, Ojibway for 'caribou bones'! => Kokani, Atikan, Atika, Kanat, and so on...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Lamertu Kthaen
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2002, 09:16:00 »

Names just pop up in my mind :)

Essastuin
Elliaret
Kaimayen
Su'u Liere
Mahaquvin
Selviendas
Nyralue
Barasse

etc etc :)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2002, 10:06:00 »

I usually go for the sound of something, which I then convert into a completely different word. E.g. if you like the sound of a word, let's say "millenium", then substitute consonants and vowels bit by bit till they fit your taste, and result in e.g. "candennion":)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2002, 13:43:00 »

Art reminded me of an interview I heard with Phil Collins. He had a hit called "Sussudio". Turns out he was in session just humming to himself and started saying "studio" real fast.

It might help you Kendo.

Kendo Gyoshin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2002, 20:38:00 »

Wow!  So many strategies!!  >.<  Oh well, guess I better go through them one by one, huh?  Thank you ALL for your help.  I've just got one question for you, Lamertu: are those just examples, or names you're willing to let me use?  I'm just wondering, because afterall, once you have continents, you're going to need cities and countries, right?  ^_^

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2002, 22:18:00 »

One caveat for all name creators:

There are two diseases, which sooner or later will creep insidiously into the names you create.  Beware!

A:  The Unpronouncable Consonant/Vowel Blend

B:  The Apostrophe Bifurcation

The former is common in many novice authors' works:  "Xphulghl" or "Mshriqaht" or "Eiaona" are examples of this type of name.  Not only are they impossible to pronounce without injuring the epiglottis, they are impossible to remember, or even to spell correctly without using the old copy-and-paste trick.

The second is more popular with those who are trying to create a non-Terran appearance, since the pronunciation is rarely affected by this punctuation.  In fact, it has become quite fashionable to divide up an'y wo'rd at ra'ndo'm with this mark - sometimes twice -  simply to make a visual statement.  Apostrophes should be reserved for possessives, and accent marks for vowels that are accented in a non-standard form!

I might point out (bard puts tongue firmly in cheek and gets a long stick, poking Artimidor gently) that a certain world name (AKA Sorren) is a prime exemplar of both these diseases, and has doubtless been responsible for infecting many other previously harmless nomenclatures....

(straightens glasses and flickers eyes sidelong to see if Art has registered the poky stick...)  :D  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Lamertu Kthaen
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2002, 05:59:00 »

Off course you can use them, I just made them up when writinh the reply

I use the apostrophes in two ways:

1) when there is a problem with two vowels next to eachother, to mark that the two vowels are seperate ( 'Bi'ephin, Ti'iun)

2) When there is a really small vowel between two consonants, that is hardly pronounced ( K'thaen = Kethaen)

Kendo Gyoshin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2002, 20:48:00 »

wow you all are so kind!!! ^_^"  thanks Lamertu!  You're the best! *runs off to scribble down possible location names.*

Anywho's, as for the apostrophe cliche, I've discovered that sometimes it can bring together two words.  Like this one: Tek'Achenn.  With the apostrophe, it's far easier to know how to pronounce this sucker without scrounging up a dictionary made by yours truly just to find out whether it's "te kah chin" or "tech ah chin".  See?  That's why I use it.  Let's see what happens to Tek'Achenn w/o the good ol' buddy of mine: Tekachenn. Tek'Achenn.  I think the 'postrophe speaks for itself.  ^_^  Sorry... had to...

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2002, 00:03:00 »

Oh, certainly, there are excuses for the apostrophe, and Lamertu has given two very good examples (and yours also speaks for itself - it certainly does affect pronunciation...)

But with a bit of creativity it does not have to be the only solution to a variety of linguistic problems!  If we take only the last example given and permute it, there are a number of variants - here listed from least to most exotic:

Tek-Achenn
Tek'Achenn
TekAchenn
Tek Achenn

Teka Chenn
Tekah Chenn
Te Kah Chen
T'eh Kaa Chenn

Tek^Achen
Tek*Achenn
Tek!Achen
Tek/Achenn

And I haven't even tampered with the spelling/pronunciation all that much...

TeahKaahChehNe (longer drawled variant)

Tkachn (crisp and terse variant)

Taea kaa schenne ('elvish' variant)

TehKaChn ('dwarven' variant)

Tuh Ca Chenn ('orcen' variant)

H-Oua-aa-ehe-nnn ('brownie' variant! :)  )

Anyhow...just having a bit of fun.  Hope you can have as much with name development!

Regards from the b'ard,
Ju'dith

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2002, 00:49:00 »

(Mommy-Judith is very good with language. You best listen to her.)

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2002, 04:26:00 »

Judith is right, but I love my '''''''nevertheless :D  

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Lamertu Kthaen
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 December 2002, 05:32:00 »

really like the brownie variant, judy (straying of-topic )

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2002, 02:31:00 »

People's middle names, ( in America, the middle name tends to be more aged than the first...)street names... ( Grant, Cao, Rudgear, Livorna, Ebine, Madden )

Using a Dictionary helps... Just open the book and hit a word.
Euripides, Manacle, Tandem, Oscilate. Don't necessarily have to use them straight, manipulate them a little so they don't seem weird.

I also take particular letters and sounds I like, or I double up letters. ( Maelie, Grimm, Thorin, Tagget)

Languages have amazing words that can inflict meaning to a place or a character... Tesoro ( spanish for Treasure), Hureau ( manipulation of the french Happy), Obake ( japanese for Ghost)

Rarely do I use the parenthesis to make names; It just compounds the name and makes it hard to say or remember.
Though the rule above, using it to break up vowels, is a good rule; the french use it and it can look elegant.

Something interesting to remember:

Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti

Using those as a basis for a name could conjure harmonic results, as they stem from a musical background.
Tifa, Lami, Refa, Lasore ( la SO ray), Timido, Somifa, Milasoti,(me la SO ti) Tiredoso ( ti RAY do so). The more sounds you use, the pronounciation has to be noted to be read properly. Also changing the pronounciation can change the way the word is understood.

TEE radoso. Ti'radoso.
teera DO so. Tira'Doso.
teerado SO. Tirado'so.

*thinks*
I hope I'm not just saying what Bard Judith said.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]