Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Nyermersys(finalstage) +Streetname request  (Read 4753 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 15 May 2001, 00:35:00 »

Okay, I overhauled the map. Terrain was added, hills were finetweaked, river got his bed,... .

I hope you'll enjoy it!
Sadly I had to use a quite bad quality for the *.jpg's to get them online. The woods look far more detailed uncompressed...

Here's a closeup at 100% of the original:
www.freespeech.org/santha...loseup.jpg

The complete map at 25% of its original size
www.freespeech.org/santha...mersys.jpg

I saved all streetname-proposals from the old thread and copied them here:

Faugar

- Beggar's Alley

Gean Firefeet
- Alley of Seven Stones (Dogs Tavern)
- Azure Avenue (Harbor Quarter)
- Singing Sailor Street (Harbor Quarter?)
- Vagabond's Hideout
- The Safe Haven (Nickname for a street?)
- Abbot's Acre
- The Marble Street(Main Road Merchant Quesrter?)
- Height of Knights

Some tavern names maybe?
- The Dodging Dagger
- Black Bath
- Golden Globe (sounds familiar somewhere  )
- Sleeping Goddess (one could make a myth about Ava and the name of the tavern? Locals would have of course no idea who the sleeping goddess is, only the Elves know after all)
- The Grunting Goblin
- Mina's Corner

Well, that's all for now but we need dozens more as Art stated before! ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2001, 14:41:00 »

Ok, here are some more proposals:

Zocharras Street (Erpheronian Captain, most important)
Eyell Lane (Erpheronian Captain)
Lision Lane (Erpheronian Captain)
Phenring's Gate
Kiivosh's Gate
Queprur's Place
Helmhoth Manor
Cosh Manor
Grey Library
Three Moons Alley
The Dalaián (cliff, hill etc., named after a Dragonknight)
Place of Thevelin
Fortress of Ah'tamaen
Foira's Rest (inn, mainly of religious nature, harboring mainly travelling Foira Fiers coming from the nearby Selidor)
Keyretan's Street (Erpheronian Captain)
Dark Field's Lane
Wild Rose Lane
Cumlahteraen Lane
Avis Street (Day of Avis)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2001, 14:57:00 »

All these captains, do they all come from Nyermersys?
Otherwise I would save them for their hometowns.

Elven Dead End (harbor district/northern maincity
Eugenius' Plaza (the main city plaza)
Five trees
Orc'street
Stormway (supplyroad at one of the walls)
Palisadeway
Magazine street
Ballistaroad

Don't know, all quite militaristic but Nyermersys was a Fortress city and walking through Augsburg, I found many similar names in the same manner.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2001, 15:41:00 »

I took only some names of famous Captains, who should have their homes in or around Nyermersys. Furthermore Nyermersys is the capital of Nermeran and therefore it isn't uncommon that you'll find names of captains of the whole territory in this town as well as in the Captains' hometowns.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2001, 01:04:00 »

But we can't use all of them. Beside that we could need some local heroes only known to the citizens.

Is Faugar already dead? Then we could use him: Greatest artist of... ;)

No!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2001, 13:37:00 »

Just wanted to inform you that I'll split up the town map into 9-25 units, depending on my current resolution. I think it is still 3000² but perhaps I broke it down to 1500². I'll try to find a splitup that is fitting well and thought 600² is not too few even at a resolution of 1024x786.
My idea was then to construct the text and CoA and anything else into a frame around it, but tell me if this won't work, Art.

Perhaps I'll find the time tomorrow, just to look at it and start naming. BTW:Should I use the same Fonts as in the maps or can I mix it up (on a consistent base), thinking about Morpheus here which AFAIk is not used in the maps but is a cool Font....

Just inform me, font-changing will be the least problem! :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2001, 15:35:00 »

Morpheus is cool, but only for captions (the Nyermersys caption would be perfectly ok). I wouldn't use it for street names - I would still prefer Seagull. Whenever you see accumulated Morpheus text it loses effect. I also noticed this already on the site and changed the main menu back to "Times New Roman" - looks better I think (and needs not so much space). See next update.

Frame-thing: Would need some sort of a sketch to see what you exactly mean.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2001, 11:28:00 »

Thinking about it, I've a problem with the closeup-concept. :/

Important areas might be  cut into pieces and therefore they might be not seen perfectly on any of the closeups.

Perhaps make only closeups of certain districts? (harbour district, merchant distric, old town, new town, southern city)

Might be a better solution. :/

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2001, 13:38:00 »

To all the others: I'm also talking to Koldar on ICQ about details of the map, so don't worry if you don't read much answers from me here. The map of Nyermersys is already a huge project, and it will be also quite a challenge to bring all the details on the site, so it will last quite a while until we have the fully zoomable map, but just give us some time...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2001, 01:27:00 »

To all the new guys out there: We still need hundreds of street names for this town map coming up soon! So if you have some ideas, feel free to post them!

Nate of Sorren

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2001, 09:00:00 »

I really like where this is going.  Where do I read more about the generals and characters you guys are talking about for the street names?

Are you planning on creating maps for smaller towns on the contenent in the near future?

I don't know for certain yet if "The Heroes of Sorren" 3d game will be based on Santharia lands but this level of detail sure does increase the likelyhood.

If Art and I decide to go ahead with this then a small town is probably going to be the place to start.

Is there an arena of some sort in the town somewhere?  I'm thinking it might give citizens a place of entertainment and warriors a place to practice and/or fight animals.

Please let me know what you think.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2001, 10:22:00 »

A 'battlefield' might be still possible but a real arena would not fit int Nyermersys which is more like an old, iron fortress that has grown into medium sized town than into metropole of culture and art.

I hope that future city designs will go faster but currently we plan to finish the bigger towns and cities of Santharia and later the smaller ones. (then perhaps the oither ones in a decade or two!! ;) )
But we have to see how this all will look like when I'm finished! :)

Nate of Sorren

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2001, 12:31:00 »

Well I sure think you are doing a good job.  I'm impressed with your talents and creativity.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2001, 12:57:00 »

Concerning your question about the generals and the characters of Nyermersys: There already exists a detailed entry on Nyermersys in the Places section as well as on the Order of the Fallen, but generals and characters aren't described in detail (at least not of Nyermersys). Currently. There's a german text on the outbreak of SW III mentioning the generals, but I removed all my german text from the site, because most people can't read them.

This maybe is some sort of Santharian, well, "problem": We have much scattered information from here and there, but often concentration on elaborating details on certain regions is still missing. This would be something Santharia could be profiting from a possible cooperation: We could try to concentrate on a certain part and try to work on it, making it ready for the game e.g. and at the same time working on good stuff for Santharian progress.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2001, 09:00:00 »

Now as I'm some freetime and 'eventually' launch the last attack against my Nyermersys project(:) ) I wanted to askone last thing.

Thinking about the measurements of every map tile (475x475) I fear naming the street in the overall map will end in unreadable dots on the screen. So I thought:

-I'll name the districts of Nyermersys in the overall map.
-Street names come in the closeup of any district.
-Eventually (you have to agree on that) important buildings should be marked somehow (red link) and should be explained somewhere else instead writting a name directly into the map.
Don't know, just think this will stay better viewable.

This week I'll probably not work on it but relax completely. Some texts about Nybelmar might be possible however. Started today.

My current to do list (ordered by importance!):
-Nyermersys
-Santharian CoA
-Loreney-map
-Nybelmar-map
-Wernam
-Aca-Santerra

Think that's it for now! I know Obsidian had some co-proposal lately, but as longs as he don't show uP! ;)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]