Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fairhaven  (Read 1644 times)
Titus of Fairhaven

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 26 July 2004, 06:52:00 »

M'kay, this shall be the thread for designing this new place.  It may be very jotty at first, there are a bunch of things I haven't pinned down yet.  However, it will all get done in due time.

Fairhaven is going to have a magical school.  I hope that the powers that be will allow it to be a sattelite school of Ximax.  The origional magi that taught there were Ximaxian anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basic Overview:
Fairhaven, a lush green flatland is located just south of Bolder in Southern Sarvonia.  The inhabitants would never speak of it as a city; instead they refer to it as a community.  Origionally a small shrine to Arvins, the patron of the owner, Fairhaven has grown to include four schools, an impressive market, several large farms, and the largest temple dedicated to a single god in Santharia.  

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2004, 14:47:00 »

Please don't post absolute things like "largest temple dedicated to a single god in Santharia.", just .."one of the largest"

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2004, 14:59:00 »

Well, Kik, you did say that you wanted a different magic system here.  You probably shouldn't make it a Ximaxian satellite then.  The satellite schools will definitely use the Ximaxian system.  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2004, 16:07:00 »

Well, I doubt , that it would be a good idea to have a different magic school in the middle of Santharia, not too far away from Ximax. Maybe a slightly different one, so that they can dispute hotly minore differences? But two totally different? Difficult, because these two would surely have influenced each other. So you have to think of how they have influenced ximax - has there then an adjustment to what there exists already?(Or doesn't exist)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2004, 22:07:00 »

This system will be a much more precisely defined system then Ximax.  I believe that the Aellenhrim (who seem to want to know everything about everything, and who mostly make up Fairhaven) would study and try to turn magic into a science.  The "new magic system" is gonna be a tweaked version of Ximax's.  All of the Ximaxian spells will still be taught, the school will just use slightly different explanations.

I doubt there would be much influence on Ximax.  It has been around for much longer and it's doctorines are known to be sound.  However, if something at Ximax did change because of Fairhaven, it really doesn't matter, IMO.  What matters is that Ximax works the way it does now, and how it got that way is not really relevent.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2004, 03:35:00 »

Kikhku, the problem I now see is- do we want to have a more scientific system of magic than the ximaxian is already? Don't forget, we are in the middleages, and people didn't think like a modern person, probably not even the elven. Before you do too much work on this, I would contact Artimidor and Wren, our elven mistress first.
The next thind I would like you to consider - should we create a new magic system, if it is not clear yet, what the "facts "of Caelerethian magic is, to which every system  has to fit. And btw, speek with Silfer first - there is still a ban on new magic systems. My Himiko will not be finished for a long time - and it isn't really a new system.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2004, 04:38:00 »

I have to say that you regularly manage to irritate me, Kikhku.

First of all you should always post with your Kikhku account when you post here or people get confused.

Second, somehow you seem to have an attraction to things which are per se problematic.

1.) There's a reason why none of your spells are up on the site yet - because major magic issues still need to be resolved.

2.) I saw you started with a People entry of a Chosen. Honestly, I don't know if this is the right time for such an extremely important mythological entry, which would require a lot of knowledge of Santharia. So far there's still no approved entry of yours on the site. And to write an entry on a Chosen you'd definitely need to be firm on history, religion and myth. Aside from that an entry on the Chosen would primarily make sense as part of the Sarvonian Timeline discussion, where more details would need to be elaborated on all historical/mythical incidents. Currently I think such an entry can basically be only a shot into the blue, which for sure would need to be changed later.

3.) In general I would recommend to first ask if it is ok to do something, before you "decide" to do an entry on a Chosen, a Place etc. Then you'd hear opinions before work goes into an entry, which probably isn't really helpful.

4.) Same problem here at your Fairhaven entry. First of all you want to describe a location, which simply doesn't exist yet. Usually people pick something which is mentioned on the map and try to work on this town/village etc. entry.

Second: You know that Ximaxian magic still is not defined properly, huh? And still you think you could do an entry in a non-existing location in the center of Santharia - featuring the largest temple (!) - with a different magical system. And as it seems we won't really be able to know what's different from Ximaxian magic, as Ximaxian magic isn't properly defined yet. This would of course all only entail, more and more and more problems, as we'd not only have to deal with Ximaxian magic, but also with a kind of magic you think is - for some undefined reason - better. And yes, as far as I know there is a general ban on new magical systems.

Also Wren is completely left out, who did the Aellenrhim.

Elves have a completely different (very natural) approach on magic, that's for sure, which has nothing to do with science - well, usually, at least that's what was planned and mentioned in various entries so far. The elven approach on magic still isn't defined properly, but all I can see from here is that you want to twist it in an even more scientific direction than the Ximaxian academy. My personal impression on this: :speechless  

All in all: Sorry, but I don't see the purpose of this particular entry at the current stage of progress of development.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/26/04 12:53

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2004, 12:25:00 »

Arti, you're dead on on all of those points.  And on top of that, I just got my course load for next semester and I'm not gonna have time to do this.  So the Fairhaven entry won't be happening at all.  I do have to apoligize for overstepping my boundries and assuming what I did.  

The chosen entry is basically thrown together from everything I could find on Ethan.  It concures with the content of the site, and unless there were preplanned ideas (I searched the development forums, neither of his names were found anywhere aside from my post) it should be usable.

And yes, I do have an attraction to problematic things, that's just the way I am.  ::shrug::

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2005, 07:41:00 »

Restoring...

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2005, 12:22:00 »

why?
eek.
*wanders off*

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent