Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: No Orcs in Southern Sarvonia?  (Read 2919 times)
Game Master Mitzie

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 11 July 2003, 15:17:00 »

Wren wrote:
"NO!!! This is important, so its in pink! There are no orcs in Southern Sarvonia."

Please, someone,  tell me why.  My game (which hasn't started yet) is set under the Caeytharin mountains and will involve a reclusive clan of Orcs as well as a back-history of a group of lost Dwarves (all long dead).

After extensive (well, at least to me it was) research, I have uncovered nothing written that should/would oppose my storyline...untill I saw this in a CD thread.

To create (and post) the small line of orcs and dwarves ahead of time woould only ruin any surprises in store for the players of my game.  Do I err in my plans?

This ID is only for use as GM & Mod for Into the Heart of the Labyrinth

A soon-to-be-started game!

Edited by: Game Master Mitzie at: 7/10/03 23:19
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2003, 23:00:00 »

You probably found nothing in your research that said "There are orcs here," but I'm guessing that you didn't find anything saying there were orcs, either? There are only orcs where we put orcs. If you looked up the tribes and didn't find a tribe of orcs living in the Caeytharin mountains, there simply isn't one.

I'm helping someone on their CD through e-mail, and a lot of times I had to tell him that "Santharia is a relatively safe place to live." This is true! There is only one tribe of orcs (in Ximax who are very peaceful), there are almost no dragons at all, and unless you're living in dangerous hills, you're not likely to run into a troll or ogre.

My advice to you is to see if you can't maybe move your story line somewhere more north. Perhps the Tandala's? There used to be a tribe of dwarves living there, and now a tribe of orcs (Gob-ocs) reside where they once lived.

I don't mean to let you down, but having a group of orcs living so far south is pretty unlikely. We'll wait around for Koldar, though. He's the giant race expert and he might have some ideas for you.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Game Master Mitzie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2003, 02:22:00 »

"You probably found nothing in your research that said "There are orcs here," but I'm guessing that you didn't find anything saying there were orcs, either?"

No offense, Rayne, but that is just plain silly.  There is nothing written about that area which is why I chose it in the first place.  I wouldn't choose a place that was already full up with someone else's ideas- because then I would not be allowed to create anything.

"There are only orcs where we put orcs. If you looked up the tribes and didn't find a tribe of orcs living in the Caeytharin mountains, there simply isn't one."

Who is "we"?  And does this also mean that no one else may contribute to an open area?

"I'm helping someone on their CD through e-mail, and a lot of times I had to tell him that "Santharia is a relatively safe place to live." This is true! There is only one tribe of orcs (in Ximax who are very peaceful),"

I wasn't planning on anything earth-shattering, nor would any or it spill out of the mountain area I chose.

" there are almost no dragons at all, and unless you're living in dangerous hills, you're not likely to run into a troll or ogre."

I wouldn't presume to add dragons anywhere, knowing how most of the powers-that-be feel about such mighty creatures, but I still cannot imagine the Caeytharin Mountains being safe.  I think a mountain range, even a small one, should be more dangerous than any group of hills.

"My advice to you is to see if you can't maybe move your story line somewhere more north. Perhps the Tandala's? There used to be a tribe of dwarves living there, and now a tribe of orcs (Gob-ocs) reside where they once lived."

I don't want to move my game to anyplace that has already been developed.  This would only shackle my creative stride.

"I don't mean to let you down, but having a group of orcs living so far south is pretty unlikely. We'll wait around for Koldar, though. He's the giant race expert and he might have some ideas for you."

Very well, I will wait... I've little choice, right?  

Besides, nearly everyone who wants to play in my game can't seem to get their CDs approved.  I think the majority of it is there are these Players keep seeing all the uber-characters running around the boards and so making "newbies" in comparison, might be too boring.  Gah.  I'm back to pounding my head against a wall again....  :(

Game Master Mitzie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2003, 01:32:00 »

So I offer up this solution:

I chose a blank area (Caeytharin Mountains) that is held to the whole of Sarvonia (rulewise).  With that in mind, could someone here with absolute authority make a list of everything that is not allowed for a game in that area...  I will keep to the list, and create a game that is acceptable to all and within the context of the continental make-up.

I think this is a reasonable acquiescence.  :  

Also, a list of races allowed in that area would be nice.... especially the "monster" or "enemy" races.  I have to have something for my heroes to fight.  :  

Edited by: Game Master Mitzie at: 7/11/03 9:53
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2003, 03:16:00 »

Hmmm... the reason why there are no orcs in that region are mainly because the orcs stayed for the most part in the north and their migration was limited by the many other races already inhabitating Santharia(beside the fact that the Erepheronian try hard to keep any orc north of the Tandalas)
It is very improbable how any orcs could've survived in the corelands of Santharia where they are only seen as beasts and as a threat.

However the Gob-Oc indeed live in the Tandalas and not only that they also settle further south in the Troll mountains and harass the whole region from the heath of Salazar to Ephirm's lake.

They're meant as a thorn in Santharia's side. A strong orc tribe expanding mainly subterran into regions of the kingdom that are only scarcely populated and thus difficult to control. Now they're even more destabilizing the the Northeast with their strongholds.

So if possible I'd move the story north because Marcogg is one of the most civilized regions of Santharia. Orc clans would have made that impossible. ;)

Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2003, 04:58:00 »

::hides behind Koldar:: o.o; Mrow.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2003, 06:38:00 »

If you need to stay around Marcogg maybe make it a conflict between humans and dwarves?

The Mithril mountains are inhabited by dwarves, the woods to the west by the Tethinrhim, the coastal regions by humans of the Avennorians.

Muargath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2003, 14:56:00 »

The Mithral Mountains a far north of the area I chose and I read up on everything there was for the Marcogg region (which was why I was surprised by the "No Orcs in southern Sarvonia" comment... I didn't see that anywhere and hence this thread)

So, Koldar, are you saying that the Caeytharin Mountains are completely off limits ?

Might there be other underground creatures (besides Dwarves) that could be a hidden menace?  I reiterate, this is not in relation to a large-scale plot.  On the whole, Sarvonia is not in dire straights from my game.

"There is serenity in Chaos.
Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane."
- so says the Principia Discordia

Muargath

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2003, 15:19:00 »

Nevermind.  Don't even bother to answer.

I made a decision to drop the whole thing anyway.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2003, 02:45:00 »

Now I'm confused. The Marcogg region far to the north? It is in the southern half of Santharia(=Southern Sarvonia) and nearly 1500 kilometres from the Tandalas.

When you mean southern Sarvonia then there are orcs who drip in by crossing the Tandalas, when you meant southern Santharia then I have to say that the people there don't know anything about orcs but stories because even in the great wars they did not come that far.

Other critters..., the Móh-Sıs are such an underground race and pretty unknown till now. As said otherwise the Gob-Oc would be an option but they are around the Troll mountains and Ephirn's Lake so about a thousand miles away.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
Weakness is strength. Hope is life.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2003, 08:35:00 »

With 'far north', I guess she meant in relation to the Caeytharin mountains. They're not really that far apart though - I've got the map right here next to my desk, and I'd estimate it's less than a week's ride, though I don't know the scale.

Oh, and I've read that Muargath ('Game Master Mitzie') has decided to drop the RPG for lack of participants or something. Don't know it for sure though.:  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Muargath

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2003, 14:31:00 »

That is right.

Lack of interest from players.  And now lack of interest from me.  I've no wish to spend my time researching yet another area, only to be told "you can't do that".  It is demoralizing.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2003, 15:12:00 »

I can imagine that! Is there no other way beside orcs? Some artifical undead infestation? Moh Sys trouble? Some dwarven<->human conflict?

Sad that there were too few players. :  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
Weakness is strength. Hope is life.

Muargath

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2003, 14:55:00 »

Undead infestations don't normally keep slaves, do they?  :eek   Nah.. I just don't see it working.

Yes, I could rework the whole thing, but then it all comes down to something I have very little control over- other peoples' interests.  The player situation here is sadly lacking.  I suspect that 9 out of 10 new PCs are by current players.  Add to that everyone is stretched to the limits time-wise and they just aren't interested.

I might come up with something else in the future, once attendence and interest has picked up, but I doubt it'll be anything like the game I envisioned.  The entire concept of "Into the Heart of the Labyrinth" (gamestyle and all) was pretty damn cool, but it just won't fit here.  Not on this board.  I suppose I could go run it somewhere else... though.

I'm not inclined to jump ship just yet.... even though sometimes I feel like I am being forced to "walk the plank". :

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]