Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: map idea: Town Map  (Read 5393 times)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« on: 04 February 2001, 14:53:00 »

OK while thinking about how to continue in developing Stratanian history it's quite there should be remainings of the past within the town in the current Santharian Kingdom.

To come up with ideas for the past I thought to create buildings in the present >>> working backwards in fact.

However, I want a map to start off with, I will of course make a concept but do we have potential in bringing it to as real creation or does it not fall within the possibilities of our artists?

With a town map I mean exactly what it means: streets, main buildings, rivers, harnour, temple etc etc.

Well what do people think of it?

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Kharda the Great

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2001, 17:29:00 »

I think it`s a great idea!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2001, 17:59:00 »

Idea sounds great, and I encourage you to start with a sketch of a town of your liking if you have the time to do so. I don't know if anybody has any experience in this town map designing field, but perhaps it is my turn again to convert something to Photoshop. If I have time I will do it. No experience though here, but would be quite interesting, I guess. Well - as has been already said - first we need a sketch, and of course as detailed as possible. Then we can see what we can make of it.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Curgan
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2001, 12:30:00 »

I like it!

Daring over power, risking against prudent advise and hoping when in danger.

Thucidides
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2001, 10:51:00 »

Uhhh, good idea!

I would offer to try to convert the sketch if Art has no time and you accept it! In fact, I was thinking about it sometime ago but dropped it because it sounded like too much effort but on the other side potential roleplayers would like to see the actual cities!

Give some time to order my things here, then I can can back to Santharia with full-thrust!!

Bye, Koldar

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2001, 12:17:00 »

Hey, this would be fine, Koldar! We have a lot of maps now, but not a single town map, so if you'd like to convert such a map I'd be most grateful.

BTW: In case you start designing such a map, Gean, let me know in advance what town you are planning to do in order that we don't forget any temples, inns, castles, statues which are mentioned somehwhere in the depths of the Santharian Compendium and have their place in this particular town:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2001, 14:46:00 »

Hmmm well don't expect anything anytime soon, but if I will start I'll definately begin with Strata, followed  up by Bardavos and Thalambath. But don't be stopped by me not beginning, it was just the idea I proposed, others can perform as well.

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2001, 10:54:00 »

Just thought that I could do a sketch on my own. Only problem: Which city would be a good test-sample. (Voldar perhaps too detailed already, Santhala too important)

How does it come that Santhala and New-Santhala have no compendium entries? ;P

Can I choose one and elaborate a sketch from the great map and eventual compendium entries?

Bye, Koldar

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2001, 16:13:00 »

Of course you can, Koldar! Just pic a town you think appropriate (maybe a smaller one would be good for first trial purposes). Please let me know what town you intend to use and I can search the Santharian web for references in  the texts in order to see if there's something mentioned concerning this town which might be of interest.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2001, 04:03:00 »

Perhaps Nemerysan(?), Ishmarin or Quentran on the Northern Vardynnia Map because it's more detailed than the main map.

I fear there is only little information on this towns. Even Nermerysan(the capital north of Voldar) has no entry yet. At least a town this far in the North should have considerably walls for defense and maybe on some kind of hill.

How big are these towns? (3000 - 12000 citizens?)

Bye, Koldar

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2001, 21:20:00 »

Nemerysis is fairly large. They have a sewer system, with Rat Brownies living in it. This, of course can change, as it did for Milkengrad.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2001, 07:11:00 »

Okay, here is a first draw of the "Black pearl of the North" as it is calleds by it's citizens. ;)  

www.freespeech.org/santha...ldar/9.jpg

Castle and northern Fortress are already included, also the city walls. The Walls in the Southeast were heavy enstrengthened after SWIII when Nemerysis (I've the feeling everybody writes it different).
Texts are German but I think you get a good glimpse of what I've in mind. To the West the main temple of the Goddess of Death will be included within the Nekropolis, southern parts belong to the poor, north of the Mainstreet the rich traders, within the castle walls the Elder City, while the seperated part in the Northwest, south of the bridge, will cotain mainly industry.
Plazas and markets are still missing but I'll include them soon.

Streets are light grey, walls and important buildings dark grey.

I've still some problems how I'll make it look more natural and I should make the Terrain, but I think quite a good start I think...

Bye, Koldar

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 3/2/01 1:17:11 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2001, 10:50:00 »

Yup, good start, Koldar. And it's NYERMERSYS! Please write it a hundred times on the blackboard: "The Black Pearl of the North is called Nyermersys!" *hehe*

Ooops... I just noticed that the town is also spelled wrong at the detailed map (probably cause I changed the name in the course of time). Ok, now it's my turn to write it a hundred times...

Yup, we've decided to devote the town mainly to Queprur (most "northern" God, closest to Coór), and I guess Koldar did good work in integrating several things here already:)  Ways and streets are also good to see, well done! - Question of course will be how detailed the map will become in the end, e.g. if (or how good) you will be able to view the rows/positions of the houses etc. - but it already looks very promising!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2001, 10:31:00 »

I'm currently brainstorming at home (meaning not where my computer is) and roaming the internet for good examples for fantasy maps and town maps.
Didn't find anything better than Santharia, except the big RPGs DSA and AD&D.

Currently I'm thinking about the CoA of Nyermersys. A black tower or gate above some waves for the river standing for the garrison and border fortress that once had overseen the river.
Perhaps a scythe or a temple symbol for the Nekropolis and the temple of Death.

Any other proposals?

I still don't know how and if I should obviously include the sewer system. (with an aquaeduct or something). Currently think a small river should run from the south to the Teiphra. Perhaps a sidearm will run into the city.

Currently my ambitions are quite high. Should end up as detailed as the map of Mythe.

Size of the houses is still a problem. Some of the squares in the south should include only one big house each, but still don't know if this is big enough then. (for the whole city) The size of the castle should be perhaps the reference. It should be a relatively big castle (with even two big buildings within the walls, etc.)

Also thinking about the City-entry. Hope that there'll be more map-creators soon! ;)

Bye, Koldar

BTW:Currently writing a little tale. Perhaps you can review it soon, Art! ;)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2001, 13:25:00 »

*hehe* You won't find anything better than here at Santharia - that's quite logical as Santharia simply is the best... *grin* Well, at least we're trying to be the best in all possible respects you can think of. Still a lot to do, but we're on the best way:)

And good to hear that it is storming ideas in your brain... When you mention your idea of the Nyermersys a picture forms in my mind: Part of the fortress to the right of the pic, looming on top of a high cliff, the waves below, in the background black night sky and a full moon, drowning in the sea. Everything on the picture is just black and white, mainly black of course (the moon completely white), the lines of the castle etc. are only hinted at in white lines. Together with a metallic shimmer of the white lines (silhouettes) this could be an impressive sight, I guess. Well, this is just the picture forming in my head.

Hmmm... Displaying the sewer system on the map isn't quite easy, I guess. Maybe not possible.

And I hear a little tale/Compendium entry etc. is/are also coming up - what more do I want? - Wonderful:)

BTW: Don't forget about the very last adjustments of the Stratanian COA. We should finish it sooner or later and put it on the site once and for all so you an concentrate on all these new things you are already working currently:)  

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]