Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Nybelmar sketch v0.02  (Read 2418 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 09 June 2001, 14:01:00 »

Well, had some time to work on Nybelmar somewhat. Adjusted some of the effects, hope they look good! :)

www.freespeech.org/santha...draft).jpg

Don't know, there will be more islands later and the rivers are only rough cut-ins of the land. I'll erase the outer glow and make the sea depths onto the ocean layer... well, just say, what might be missing.

The west is still sketched, there may be still some room for ordered details, so if you have any proposals, just say so.

Bye!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Gnufruk the Trader

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2001, 08:26:00 »

Oh, I want the north-west for Orcal! I need LOTS of rivers there!

BTW: Is there winter with snow in Nybelmar?

Gnufruk

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2001, 16:48:00 »

Nice to see you back here in Santharia, Gnufruk! ;)

Do you mean in the NW, you wanted before or the 'new' NW peninsula above the huge lake(inner ocean)?
That would will cancel any contact between Orcal and the humans in the east, except some skirmishes on sea, would be good to make Orcal a mythical land for the humans...

We'll have to see how we fill up the gap (till now everything in the east was settled, now there would be room for more countries.

The winter thing would depend on the position of Nybelmar compared to Santharia (North of Strata, South), but I would say that they lie farther north having slightly warmer seasons than in Santharia, but who knows? Art?(where should lie NYbelmar on this world?)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2001, 13:47:00 »

Hmmmm... Nybelmar is to the west of Santharia I'd say,and Akdor is north of it. Therefore it will be quite hot in the south of Nybelmar (maybe desert lands every now and then), but there should still be winters in the north. I've a postcard here in hands from a Santhala covered with snow, so there are winters this far "south".

This all is also a problem for your calendar, Gnufruk, as a have already pointed out in my last mail, so I guess we need some adjustments here.

BTW: How about the Imp description you spoke of? This is definitely a nice picture of Igino I'd like to use at the site asap...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2001, 08:34:00 »

The south is hot with deserts, Are there any hot tropics anywhere?

I'm just kind of curious.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2001, 09:40:00 »

Currently we have Aeruillin which consists of deserts, because it is closest to the sun, but I guess it would be logical to integrate rain forests at the north of Aeruillin or the southwestern part of Santharia. What do you think, Gean - at least your at home there?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2001, 10:28:00 »

Strata is completely desert, I thought...

Nybelmar will have a huge raionforest: the Emerald Woods.

They will be a great mixup of all possible forest types.

Hmmm, just thinking, due to the 'flat-world-concept' of Santharia  the South might consist of deserts  but not sure about it, perhaps west of the big mountainrange or so.

In three/four weeks I might restart this one again!

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 6/30/01 5:29:12 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2001, 12:40:00 »

Rainforest in Nybelmar sounds fine, and Emerald Woods seems like a good name for it. No tropical vegetation really necessary in Aeruillin.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2001, 04:51:00 »

Just another general question for Art:

How did you develop your maps? Did you just draw them to your liking (concerning woods and mountains) or was already clear where which towns and empires should be located?

I'm currently thinking about a way to integrate all information that already got together and think that it would be easier and better to develop smaller maps(a map of Loreney, a map of Aca-Santerra, Wernam) and then integrate them into my already developed continent map.
I think this would work better, as we are developing history along with the continent. I would then finish the outlines of Nybelmar and Wernam but then all areas will be filled up as people contribute more information and historical events, new tribes and so on. It would keep the possibility to make changes when new ideas occur and new members would see what parts of Nybelmar are still undeveloped.
(Beside Orcal, and the east of Nybelmar there are only general ideas what might be there)

Just wanted to ask how you solve this as it seems you're developing Sarvonia on your own (beside naming). Well, of course, Sarvonia is a special case as it was there already before most of us arrived so perhaps it is not really a reference on continent development, or is it?

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2001, 04:54:00 »

Current subsections of the map would be:

-Northern Wernam with R'unor at its most northwestern point
-Lorney
-Aca-Santerra and its islands
-Korwein/Korweyn(what spelling sounds better?=))
-Orcal

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2001, 07:31:00 »

Well, whenever I draw a map I usually have no idea about history, kingdoms, whatever will take place in these regions. Unless there exist some historical references already for the map (like at Caael'heroth, coming up today). I only try to add enough variety to the map, but when I draw of course ideas pop into my head what will take place there. I try to use a certain naming scheme for certain regions, though, e.g. barbarian name parts for towns, villages, whatever...

I also (personally) will only do detailed maps first before setting up a general map of a continent - see Sarvonia. Doing a detailed map of a rough overall map can only result in a not very accurate map. On the other hand finishing a complete continent map (consisting of several smaller maps) sooner or later is essential, because - as you can see with Sarvonia - you can't refer to anything from northern Sarvonia, cause you don't know anything, which is bad. Therefore I finish Sarvonia now, and do it like Tolkien made it: I look at the drawn map and try to discover things which could have taken place there.

Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2001, 23:54:00 »

I'll work more for the main Santharian site now, so I'll:

*Draw the borders of Orcal and show where its mountains shall be

*Work more on Orcal Beliefs

*Create a new greenskin race

*Finish the entry on Gnufruk

*Make a helluva lot entries

Will have the border thingy fixed soon!

Gnufrukanswers, answers

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2001, 12:40:00 »

Looking forward to it!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2001, 21:46:00 »

Will get some vegetation, plants, herbs and trees for these regions to you soon!

Obviously we need a wider variety if we've got more climate zones, so I'll start adding some tropical plants and some desert plants (we have a few, but not sorted out from forest plants...)

Perhaps eventually the Herbarium should be divided by climate areas?  That would make it much easier for writers and actors to find the vegetation they need (eg barbarian plains-roamers have certain types of grasses and grains to feed their flocks, Southern brownies have tievines and parpalm, and so on...)

Will start working on that....

Bard Judith

"If you will listen to this lay but a little while now,
I will tell it at once as in town I have heard it told,
as it is fixed and fettered
in story brave and bold,
thus linked and truly lettered,
as was loved in this land of old."

J.R.R.Tolkien, 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2001, 21:52:00 »

Sounds great!!!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]