Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Village of Parthanul  (Read 7796 times)
Atimin Ishstar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 05 August 2002, 13:00:00 »

hi, I want to contribute to the world of sorren by describing one of its places, but I really can't choose one, so I thought that I could be more useful if I described one place that really needs it. So... is there any place to be urgently described? :b  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/12/02 8:43:38 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2002, 15:14:00 »

Hmmm... Capher and Feanor are currently elaborating the Avennorian tribe in more detail and then Faenor will do an entry on the town of Chrondra. We also have a small fishing village (Nepris) of the Avennorian tribe. Maybe you'd like to do another small village for a start in this region, Atimin, and see how it works out? We would also need more Avennorian villages in preparation for the MUD. You could take Nepris as an example on what should be included and how such a description could look like, and if you follow the Avennorian developments by Capher and Feanor you may collect quite a lot of helpful stuff concerning such a description. Would that be something for you for a start, Atimin?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2002, 22:40:00 »

Hello, welcome to the Santharian Dream. :)

Yes, we are working on the culture right now, so if you want, you can drop by in the "Races and Culture" thread in this forum and take a look at the ideas and comments everyone made in the "Avennorian (Here Capher)" topic. Maybe it'll give you ideas on how to do your village. Maybe you can even give us a hand.

Help is welcome if you are willing to lend some. :)  

"The world is big, who knows what is possible and what is hidden in these vast lands."

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2002, 05:33:00 »

and I'm currently trying to do the next region over... The Ziephyr and Theaheveil RIver estruary.....there are a could of towns in this region that I could delegate :)  

Contact The Elfy Secretary and Santharia's People Person
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

Atimin Ishstar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2002, 06:55:00 »

hmmm. I'd like to describe a small fishing village (as Artimidor proposed) for a start... then if I manage well enough, I would help you Wren...

Artimidor: Nepris is already done, you said. I can't find it on any map, as well as any other small fishing villages; nor any description to use as guide... And even Chrondra I can only see on a map concerning the Auturian Woods nearby.
Feanor: I like alot your culture builder - it's excellent... it's a good way of develloping and adding detail in a logical way. I'm following Avennorian culture devellopment - it will (and already is) inpiring me on the eventual village. (as well as your CB)

One more thing.. when I've decided what village I'll be doing (after someone enlightens me as to what are the possibilities), it's supposed to be done according to the 'Guide to Designing Places" on this thread, right?

Thanks for your time

Edited by: Atimin Ishstar at: 8/6/02 1:58:24 pm
Atimin Ishstar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2002, 10:30:00 »

just found the entry for nepris. No wonder I couldn't see it in any map, it appears only in its entry's map! :p

I read it and it seems fairly simple to me. So, what are the available villages for me to do? And just some guidelines: is it supposed to be a large village, a quite small one? one with reknown traditions, some special importance, or a simple, plain one? an ancient or a recent village?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2002, 15:39:00 »

Well, you could do a small one first, and maybe something larger later on if you like the design places:)

As for which village: Take a look in the MUD Maps area. Ther you find some more detailed maps of the Manthria/Avennoria region, here's the interesting part for you, Atimin: Adanian Seacoast

Tyr Ethran is a dwarven settlement BTW, and there is no second fishing village placed there, but you could place just a small one e.g. at the Mashdai River mouth. How about that?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Atimin Ishstar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2002, 07:40:00 »

Ok, I think that's fine. 3 questions:
1. You mentioned the dwarven settlement: is the village supposed to have any relation with it (as in, trade?)
2. One small square represents a building (in the village), or the whole village itself?
3.Am I supposed to give the village a name?

Thanks in advance for your time

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2002, 12:54:00 »

1. Relation to dwarven settlement:
The dwarven settlements of Tyr Donion, Kor Mithrid and Tyr Ethran are way north of your settlement, and Nepris is in between. As you can see the village people of Nepris trade with the dwarves, so I assume the people of your village will as well. Maybe they help Nepris out with constructing nets etc. as well. They could also provide Marcogg with sea fish. Just use your imagination:)

2.) Village Square
You refer to the map, to which I've posted a link, right? Well, this is mainly a rough scheme on how things in this region look like. However, Nepris for example is elaborated in detail already, not only in the entry, but also for the MUD game. See the Nepris MUD thread

Here you find also the descriptions Bard Judith did for every single "room" of the village (you can already walk around in these rooms in the MUD!). If you'd like to elaborate it till this degree, this of course would also be great as you will be able to play it all later directly in the MUD game:)

3.) Name
I guess so. You can name this village:)  

Atimin Ishstar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2002, 08:44:00 »

Parthanul is a small village that gets its name by corruption from the dwarven 'Pratheron' (reunion/meeting) and 'Anul' (water), literally meaning ‘meeting of waters’, doubtless referring to the Mashdai River that meets the Adanian Seacost, where the village is located. With barely one hundred inhabitants (of Avennorian origin) has strong dwarven influence (hence the name) due to the active trade with dwarves in a nearby settlement. Living mainly on the sea catch and trading everything else they need, Parthanul is a typical fishing village.

Description:

The majority of houses the houses on Parthanul are crude cottages, made of stone and some wood, with roofs made of dried reeds on a wooden structure. As wood is not exactly abundant in that region, these houses are built on a single row, in order to take advantage of some of the existing walls. These shacks have few divisions and scarce furniture. They all have a front yard in which nets are mended and fishing items are seen. A couple of prosperous fishermen/traders have, however, better dwellings, made of stone brought all the way from the Mithral Mountains up north.
The village itself is small: apart from the habitations, there’s only one common building located just in front of the harbour: a storage place where fishermen keep their nets and other utensils, and smoke their fish. It has a weather vane in its top.
The harbour and the centre of the village are located in the exact spot where the Mashdai River meets the sea; equidistant from both, inhabitants can easily access both their fishing boats – to fish on the ocean – and the drinkable water a bit up in the River.
Water dominates the landscape, as well as mountains; there’s few vegetation or arable terrain. Just outside the village on the north side there’s rocky terrain, with small reentrances/niches that are used to store dried,smoked or salted fish. This terrain also serves the purpose of drying the reeds collected. A common sight in the small beach is the long rows of recently caught fish being salted, or drying in the sun.
Parthanul is the last stopping place to the ships that came from Marcogg, supplying them here and providing the village with small trade.
It’s worth mentioning that this village is relatively recent.

Located on the Santharian province of Manthria, in the Adanian Seacost, the village of Parthanul is framed on the East by the Adanian Sea, on the North by the Mithral Mountains and on the South by the Mashdai River. To the West lies Marcogg, to the North the dwarven settlement of Tyr Ethran and the village of Nepris.

Climate:

Though there are a few remarkable storms in this town during the winter (normally due to the different wind fronts: the cold wind from the sea shocks with a warm front from the land), being so close to the sea balances the temperature during the year. Neither too cold nor too hot, one can say that overall it is a sunny coast.

People:

The inhabitants of Parthanul are the typical Avennorians. Being so, they have quite different physical descriptions (they can be blonde or brunettes, generally with blue eyes and white skin tones), but in this village there appears to be a majority of people with dark brown hair and eyes and a skin tone a bit darker than white. But then, as any other fisher folk, they have their skin tanned by the sun. These characteristics are not a general rule, though when a child is born with lighter hair or eyes, some bad-taste jokes about the mother are said.
The inhabitants come from different places. They are a mixed lot, including settlers from Marcogg, travellers from Nepris and other folk from the local province that found it a good place for a harbour, due to its strategic location. As the places from where the inhabitants came had good trading relations with the dwarves, so this village had an active trade with the dwarves since its foundation, more than with Marcogg, because they considered the dwarves more honest in their bargaining. First directly with Tyr Ethran, and later with a local tradepost where the dwarves preferred to trade, local folk have, in fact, been strongly influenced by the dwarves in several aspects of their lifes. The name of the village; their language, though Tharian at its core, has some Thergerim vocabulary (mainly related to trade - numbers, units of measure, currency); some of the fishermen have had their beard grown considerably. Both men and women pay a devote attention to beer – drinking it not only at lunch and dinner but also quite early in the morning. Fortunately they were not influenced by the dwarves’ low affinity for water.
They do not use any remarkable clothing – they prefer dressing in a practical fashion, both genders. Except for specific ocasions they do not have any special dress. The few women that help the men in catching their fish are often seen in trousers, and they do not feel less women because of that.
Being the typical Avennorian they’re quite fond of their wealth; so trade plays an important role in Parthanul – trade with both Marcogg and the dwarves, supplying them sea delicacies and items such as shells.
The idea that first led the settlers to this point proved successful – in ten or twenty generations Parthanul became a somewhat prosperous village, featuring about 350 inhabitants. Unfortunately, Parthanulians had their source for fresh water up in the River Mahdai. They did not think that farther up in the River the town of Marcogg threw away their garbage and dejects on that same river. So, as time passed by, Marcogg grew and their residues increased – which began to affect Parthanul. As the families had the habit of sharing the same plate, the same food, soon dysentery, diarrhea and similar diseases spread through the whole community, greatly reducing it. The scarce 50 people left had to find another water source; they used Raven River, farther north.
The prosperous village had to start all its economy from the beginning; it stills bears the marks of that shock. They did not yet recovered completely – there are few more than 100 inhabitants. At this time, however, it has been experimented planting common water reeds in the river Mashdai after Marcogg in an attempt to cleanse the water, and some results are noticeable.
The village is neither patriarchal nor matriarchal; both men and women share their responsibilities and neither thinks superior to the other – though mostly men occupy themselves with the rough life of sailing into the ocean in search for shoals of fish, a few women also do the job. Repairing nets, smoking,drying or salting and selling fish is left for the women who prefer stay in land and sometimes the children, or the elderly. Trading is done usually by women – and if a buyer from another town thinks that he’ll get a good bargain because he’s dealing with a woman, they can be quite surprised – women of Parthanul are exceptional sellers, quite persuasive.
Every year is elected one Master of the Harbour – usually a fisherman past his days of sailing, experienced on the ways of life, a very charismatic person. People turn to him to hear his advice in everything, from a trade issue to his opinion on the weather; he also blesses any marriage or birthday and has always something to say in a funeral.

Resources (Fauna & Flora)

Though the major part of the resources of this village comes from the sea or the river, this village benefit of some rock from the mountains nearby and little arable terrain.

- Fauna: Small mammals as rats and amphibious animals that provide neither trade nor food are found in this region. Most of the fauna, though, comes from the sea: several varieties of fish (as Bonehead and Evoor) and crustaceans, namely oysters and trysters.

- Flora: Mostly reeds and water plants (Chitt, Lifereed, Yealm Reed) but here is also found the medicinal herb Arv, that only grows on coastal regions.

Production and Trade

Literally everything that comes from the sea is used – all fishes are either dried or smoked or salted, except the Evoor, which is not used for food but to provide oil for lamps, and then used as a fertiliser for the small and primitive agriculture practised in Parthanul or as bait for other fish. Oysters are captured in large quantities, and though they’re not sold because there’s no market for them, they’re largely eaten and their shells used to decorate houses or make some small gifts. Their cousins, trysters, on the other side, are considered a delicacy and though rarer than oysters, Parthanul provides a good quantity of them. They are not so much eaten as they are sold, however, as they present more profit that way.
From the reed gathered, Chitt and Yealm reed (common water reed) are used in the roofs and other items as clothes and other durable objects. Lifereed is also used in roofs, and their fruit stored. When treated by the salt water of the ocean, they’re quite rigid, and used to construct small walls to mend something.
It is very rare to find here any pearl, and that is a desire of every person. When anyone finds one, they prefer to keep it instead of selling it, though it would render good money. They believe that a pearl is a gift from Baveras herself.
Parthanul consumes little of all these things; the excess is sold. Fish, trysters and some varieties of reeds are sold to Marcogg, as well as some small items made with shells - on the third day of the week, which is Marcogg's market day; Lifereed and some parts of the crustaceans are sold to the dwarves of Tyr Ethran.
It is very common that this trade is not the usual item-money exchange, but rather exchanging seafood with other types of food, and drinks (especially beer).

Myth/Lore:

As every other fishing village, Parthanul is specially devoted to Baveras the Goddess of the Sea. They do not hide this; in every house prayers are held before each meal and there’s some item representing her – an especially beautiful shell, for instance. There is also a prayer before each boat leaves; and it is believed that seeing a Dolphune (which are believed to be Baveras’ close friends) is a good omen for that catch.
One particular legend concerns the foundation of the village. It is said that when the first settlers arrived to found Parthanul, folk from the countryside, not used to the ways of sea life, they forgot one very important thing - to honour Baveras and thank her for the fish that was the basis of their lives. Angry, she ordered a Giant Kraken to frighten them and shoo them away. It was impossible to live there - that was their punishment. After sometime, when settlers from other places near the sea, which properly revered Baveras, tried to move there, the Goddess of the Sea felt more appeased and let them live there. The Giant Kraken was found dead on the beach, and people felt their prayers were answered. Though this is a myth and may not be relied upon as real facts, one point is true - the finding of a Giant Kraken. Probably killed by other reason other than Baveras benevolence, what is certain is that one of the rare and enormous seamonsters was found lying dead on Parthanul's beach.
Other than this, Parthanulians are very eccletic people in what concerns religion.

History:

Though there are not any remarkable events to tell about the Parthanul village, as it is a quite recent village, there are some happenings worth telling that are taken in high esteem by the Partanulians.
The founding of the village is not known for sure, being related as a legend concerning a Giant Kraken (see Myth/Lore). This being a real fact, however, it was assumed that the date of the foundation of Parthanul coincides with the date of the finding of the Giant Kraken carcass (about the beggining of the tenth century), though probably already lived there some people.

907 Foundation of Parthanul

The finding of a Giant Kraken's carcass is considered the foundation of the village of Parthanul, according to its local stories. Dwarves, who traded with this village since its debut, account favorably for this date.
1025 The Storm of the Three Nights

Named so by the inhabitants of the Village of Nepris up north, where the storm was felt more violently, killing many. Though with less intensity, the remarkable storm damaged Parthanul too, ruining some of the buildings.
1360-1510   Disease Struck

There are no precise dates for this happening. Due to pollution in its water source, diseases as diarrhea or dysentery reaped the prosperous population, currently greatly reduced and still suffering effects from this.

Edited by: Atimin Ishstar at: 8/17/02 9:44:42 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2002, 14:34:00 »

I see you have been quite busy, Atimin. And indeed you've delivered a very nice entry, containing everything it needs and more, and all is well thought up and detailed. Congratulations! Unless Thuja (Nepris writer) or someone else of this region finds something which doesn't fit, I guess it is already nearly done, except the things related to today's date for example.

Well, here are a few comments, which might help:

- Current time in Santharia: around 1660 a.S.
- Giant Kraken: Quellion currently BTW is working on a cool giant Kraken pic, see here. Hmmm... Maybe we can make some sort of legend from this picture in order to get some more for the Myth/Lore here. Maybe it lasted so long till people settled there because of such a Kraken, which is supposed to have attacked the first Avennorian settlers here? Well, maybe such a thing could be integrated somehow and expanded a bit? And somehow it got killed (nobody knows how) and it was found on the beach. People could interpret that as their prayers to Baveras being answered or something. Well, that's just a rough idea. But it would be good to tie such monster entries together with a places description:)
- Rest seems all very fine - do you consider doing an exact town map as well and some descriptions for the MUD? It would be perfect to have another town elaborated here in direct proximity of Nepris, where you can walk around...

So, all in all: Very imaginative and well done, Atimin! More of this please:D  

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2002, 17:45:00 »

You have Nepris as a trade source to your village, but it is too far north to be used as such.  Also, they themselves are a fishing village and make and repair their own nets.  Nepris also trades with Kor Mithrid for all metal needs such as hooks and the like for fishing.  (That is in the description)

There is, or should say, there will be a trading area near the mouth of the Raven River.  It is something Bard Judith and I were talking about but didn't get it public as yet.  Sorry.  That would be a place where the dwarves would do most of their trading since it is closer to Tyr Ethran.  It has a tentative name of Kolbruk.

You do not need to change the part about the influence of the dwarves on this village.  Maybe you could state they preferred to trade with the dwarves more exclusively because of their greed and trusted them for a better or honest value  in trade.  That would explain the dwarven influence in their culture.

Also when were you thinking about the foundation of this town?  The trading post is about 400-500 years old.  But this trading area can adjusted to a bit later.

I hope this helps somewhat.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Atimin Ishstar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2002, 05:01:00 »

Artimidor:
I'll work on Parthanul history now. About that Giant Kraken: Ok.  I'll create a legend/myth concerning the appearance of A Kraken in that place that killed the first settlers there; after the settlers' prayers to Baveras it was found dead on the Beach, and people start moving there. But, is it ok (even in a legend) to make a Kraken live? they're supposed to be seen only dead. About the Mud: I've never done that, but I can start now :p  Just tell me what exactly do I have to do? Make a map in detail with the buildings and places of Parthanul and describe each one, as Bard Judith made here?

Thuja:
In fact when I saw Nepris in the map it seemed a bit too far to trade, comparing with Marcogg or Tyr Ethran; I'll change that. About that tradepost; Parthanul could still trade with the dwarves (and as you said, more exclusively with them) - in that tradepost when it appeared, and before its foundation, with Tyr Ethran. That is, if Parthanul is older than Kolbruk (I haven't work on parthanul history yet.) Thanks for correcting these points :)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2002, 13:22:00 »

Ok, just fix/add the things which were mentioned, Atimin, and let me know when you consider the entry done, then we can put it on the site already:)

As for the MUD things: Yup, the thread you mention shows how such a map can look like and what descriptions Judith has added. You could do it in a similar way, but maybe you should do the squares first, as Judith's map is a bit inhomogeneous now, as the squares weren't done in advance. Note that also ways and streets are own "rooms", which should be described a bit.

Oh, and if you place house and describe them: There will later be NPCs (non playing characters), who we'll place in these houses, so you can think about what to place where later on. You then can even develop own dialogues for these guys you meet there if you want, though this still may take a while:)  

Atimin Ishstar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 August 2002, 10:08:00 »

This is what I edited:
- Erased all ocurrences about trade with Nepris
- Added the legend concerning the Giant Kraken
- Added history
- Changed trade with dwarves, now Parthanul traded with them in a local tradepost, Kolbruk, and preferred them to Marcogg to sell their stuff.
- Corrected some gramatical errors :)
I consider it done, but please point me any errors.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]