Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Human Kingdoms of Nybelmar  (Read 4008 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 03 May 2001, 03:03:00 »

"Nybelmar, the mystical lands of the west. Strata ruled the Sarvonian seas for centuries before noticing an even stronger and superior power at the edge of the world. After several expedition failed some brave sailors reached the "Ferrath-islands" meaning "the foggy Realms" santerran noble tongue or "Nybelmar" in Santharian. This wild and stormy ocean embedding these islands is the most cruel water you may sail on but the ports are one of the most valueable harbors Stratanian sailships ever entered. Valueable goods from unkown lands, valueable spice, precious stones, gold, silver, formed to beautiful sculptures or sharp blades.
The first Stratanians thought that the islands they discovered were only one big peninsula of another continent but now I can confirm, they were wrong. The archipelago from which these islands are the most northeastern edge leads several thousand miles to the west and south and beyond that another thousand miles I got word of an even bigger continent full of wonders and secrets..."

Azan Melakh Dorim, archivar of the library of Thalambath at the dawn of the third Stratanian expedition.

As reported by the brave Archivar of Thalambath who joined the third expedition of Strata a vast Ocean divides the two landmasses, Sarvonia and Nybelmar. Nybelmar is the smaller one, hardly as long as Santharia but nevertheless a rich and diversive continent.
The huge "Wernam Archipelago" whose southern end lies directly south of the powerful cities of Zhun leads in a long bow to the northeast at the closest point still 750 miles away from the Nybelmarian mainland and served as stepstones for the Nybelmarian sea nations in their effort to explore most of the known world.
A huge mountain range splits this continent nearly into two halves the enormous "Zsharkanian Peaks" or "Halls of the Giants".
The Nybelmarian west is nearly unkown even to the realms and tribes who settled in the east. The only empire that might know something about it is the Goblin kingdom of "Orcal" and although this Goblins are far more civilized than their cousins living on the "Green Plains" they won't tell any "Paleskin" (any non-Greenskin) about it.
East of the "Zsharkans" (short version) vast plains reach to the northeast to the coast of the "Black Ocean".
In the center of Nybelmar is one of the biggest forests ever seen in the whole world of Ava [the right term?]: "The Emerald Woods."
Little is known from this world of its own but a high Elven kingdom rules the darkest and most secret spots of this jungle.
East and South of it begin the "Lands of the Humans" an array of several kingdoms and even more independent tribes.

The Sovereigns of these powerful nations all suspicious observe any Santharian action to keep the knowledge about their realms and the other tribes and races of this continent as low as possible.

The High Kingdom of Aca-Santerra(which means the sainted Land): The most eastern kingdom located at the river of Jerrah with its vast capital of "Altyra" lying at the coast of the "Black Ocean". It is said their ancestors arrived millenias ago from a land on the other side of the world [either Santharia or Aerrylium]. Therefore the sea is still a vital part of their life.
There are only few other ships able to outrun the famous Santerran Besancaravel (some kind of ship similar to a frigate) which are used for the High-Sea-trade with the "Ferrtah Islands" which are the keypoint for trade with Santharia.
Their navy is feared as is their outstanding heavy cavalry, the "Frathra" a heavy mounted united equipped with heavy Scalemail for horse and Rider. The Santerran Longsword and an ironplated shield are their weapons of choice.
They fought many wars against the "Empire of Korwein" and against the Orcs of the "Green Plains" and were able to push back the Goblin expansion coming from the Northwest. They see themselves as the most civilized and most noble nation in the world which caused more wars by their arrogance than gold can ever do.

The Empire of Korwein: The largest landpower on Nybelmar reaching from the "Retarrian Lake" beyond the rivers of "Espesh" and "Ranesh". Their capital "Kormendale" is located at the Espesh river. They control anything from the sea to the huge forest of Nybelmar the "Emerald Woods".
The barbarians from the Northwestern plains are their greatest danger. Even Aca-Santerra was not able to win ground against this moloch and its vast legions of heavy-mounted infantry and could only hold what it already had gained, most of it that is...
Today the size of this empire is starting to strike back and its power is in decline, rebellions and revolutions are weakening it even more.

The Realm of "Benderra": A nomad kingdom founded by peaceful barbarians from the North who settled in the high plain between the "Uriel-mountains" of the west and the western part of the "Ranesh". They even got in control of a small strip of the coast once possessed by "Korwein". They're battletrained and independent fighting any aggressor to the North, East and South, but otherwise than that their style of Life is still simple and primitive.
The capital is "Morcah" in the hills of the "Delenndins".

The Kingdom of "Anis-Anpagan": This small kingdom controls the peninsula south of the "Urielmountains" which form a natural border against any attacks from "Benderra" and "Korwein".
Despite their lack of ressources they were able to build up a formidable navy that is able to compete with "Aca-Santerra" and the city-states of the West. They also control a network of Islands of the vast "Wernam-Archipelago" but because they depend that much on foreign trade they were very vulnerable when other realms headed for the High-Seas, too. Now their once vast colonies are crumbling under the pressure of more powerful nations.

The City states of the Plains of "Zhun": The "Plains of Zhun" are the most fertile soil on Nybelmar encircled by the "Urielmountains" and the "Zaffaramountains" to the north which capture the much needed rain coming from the west.
The city-states are self-sufficient but proofed to be ready to support expansionistic behaviour whenever there was no blade ready to stop them. They also control huge parts of the "Spice-Archipelago". As there are no vital enemies in range they can spent most of their time and effort on the High Seas competeing in their imperialistic deeds.

The Dark Realm of the Circle: This secret and unkown Realm located on the peninsula in the far east surrounded by mountains is  only little known to the other kingdoms of Nybelmar. Rumors about dark Sorcerers and terrible ritual has spread but also about monsters, dragons and other creatures of darkness. A white wizard exploring the cliffs and mountains of the Circle reported only one strange name: "Servants of Draco".
What this means or will mean stays unkown...

[End of possible entry. Anything below are only ideas in-work]

The mystical Realms:
*Some kind of Wood-Orcs tribes are reported from the southern parts of the huge forest.
*A vast Elven kingdom prevents the expansion from any coastal kingdom into the center of Nybelmar and interfers in the actions of any neighbor threatening them.
(In real a scattered confederation of differing Elven tribes controlling various parts of the forest?)
*The human barbarians come from the plains west of the forests and south of the huge mountain-range. Among that they like beheading people. Bade taste.
*The plains mainly populated by Orcs, Goblin other subraces of this kind are located east of the mountainrange and reach into the unknown North. Only Orcal knows more about the "Green Plain" (mainly because of the grass not because of the people living there) and when any human would ask them even in peaceful times they wouldn't reply.
*The Dwarfs from "Boldwin's Peak", from the Bloodhills and the "Eastern Ranges"(a mix of gnomes and dwarfs).

[End of ideas]

All names may be reworked lateron. Details will be added according to requests, questions, corrections, etc...

1.Typos corrected, Dwarven Realms added/Some new ideas/Tried to break anything loose that mentioned details concerning Orcal.
2.Introduction to Nybelmar written. Version 2.00 by far not the last one! ;)  

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 5/12/01 4:33:18 pm
Gnufruk the Trader

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2001, 10:02:00 »

Can Orcal be moved to the north-western corner of Nybelmar? I think I've misunderstood the whole concept...
I mixed up east and west once again, I thought that Orcal was in the north-western corner of Nybelmar.

Gnufruk

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2001, 11:16:00 »

Okay.. now I'm confused, too. What concept? Or German: "Hh?"

What is the problem with Orcal in the Northeast? (top right :) )

The human kingdoms only control the belt from the mountain peninsula on the right to the southeastern (bottom left :) ) coast.
Anything else is populated by Goblins, Orcs, Barbarians, Elves whereever these people would like to live.

Somewhat problematic might be also that the left side of the map is not very detailed and thus needs rework. That is why most of the action is going on on the right side of mountains.

Really see no problem, so why make one? ;)

Perhaps explain further what's wrong because I just can't find anything wrong as everything posted by me is only general descriptions and outlining whatis where. Anything might be changed in some way lateron.

Bye, Koldar

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2001, 11:26:00 »

Is it because of the Forest and the Snakepeople?

Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2001, 12:53:00 »

Just thought that it would be more natural to have Orcal in the north-western corner. And, yes because of the Forest and the Snakepeople. They are ment to be in in Orcal, living in the Forest which I want a mountain in (The Zu'Ka mountain), as this is going to be used in the entry on the Snakepeople. I have made a story which will play an important role in Gnufruk's life, and this is rather important, as he is one of the most influencing persons in Nybelmar.

In norwegian that would be "H?";)  

Gnufruk

Edited by: Gnufruk the Trader at: 5/4/01 10:00:43 pm
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2001, 13:19:00 »

Then the plains were Orcal was meant before are now called "The Green Plain" as mentioned above and the HUmans fought against 'normal' Orcs and other guys. Will find something. ;)

Eventually Orcal once became a Great empire controlling everything even to the proposed dwarven mountain but then got crushed by the humans and lost everything again

Good? Bad? Will find something! ;)  

Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2001, 13:25:00 »

Became GREATER, I'd say, Koldar. It is still a great empire, it just lost some of their conqeured areas. But I must have that mountain and that forest!

Gnufruk

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2001, 13:29:00 »

Meant that. ;)

Was thinking they nearly doubled size or something and reached down to the human outposts where they were defeated. Something like the "Storm of the Mongols" or something.

You can have the forest, the mountain and the Nybelamrian north! ;)

Eventually Orcal will be then more of a mystical danger to the human kingdoms? (some skirmishes with Orcal triremes still possible, of course! :) )

BYe, Koldar

Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2001, 22:47:00 »

:D !

Gnufruk

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2001, 12:23:00 »

Nice outlines you've made there, Koldar, giving a good picture of Nybelmar!

Now that I read such general outlines, I think it might be a good idea to first develop such rough outlines and make a Compendium entry in the Places section for Nybelmar, simply introducing this rough sketch (in case you two can work on it a bit more so that it will be suitable to be put on the site). This way readers of the Places section who want to know something about a special continent will know most things of importance at the first glance. We currently have the problem that on the Sarvonian continent we've developed some tribes already in greater details, but have no general overview on all of the tribes and kingdoms. We have overviews at the Bestiary and at the Races Section, so I guess such entries with simple (not very detailed) notes on kingdoms and tribes of the continents are still missing. What do you think?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2001, 12:52:00 »

Yeah, that sounds good.

BTW: I'm right now working on a huge project on Orcal's (the chief) descendants. It is already HUGE! It is actually kinda cool to make up names and people...

Gnufruk

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2001, 13:37:00 »

As this will end up as more work for us I have another proposal about the Webstructure of this site. :)

I was just thinking that as you meant the Compendium only check back things on certain topics while the other categories should be a continous description of a general topic (Gods, Tribes, Races) it might be good to put it into the begoinning or the end as Index marking them as a special section and not something equal to the other section as in fact it is the summary of all described facts.
Just a suggestion to the structure! ;)
The interesting part (for you!) would be a search engine to check the Compendium for explicit entries on certain names or a list of entries where this name is mentioned.

Interesting? ;)

Bye, Koldar

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2001, 00:31:00 »

Seperating the Compendium somehow from the rest of the Sections sounds logical (renaming it to "World Index" or some such), but still have to think on how this would look best. Also the Role Playing section and perhaps the Resources section will move away from under the World Menu. Hmmm... We'll see.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2001, 03:20:00 »

Will rework the post above to a general description of Nybelmar when I find some time.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2001, 13:58:00 »

I see the entry on Nybelmar is constantly growing, which is good:)  Just continue on with your final adjustments, Koldar. Tell me if you think it ready for the site;)  

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]