Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nybelmar draft(version 0.01)  (Read 1564 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 01 June 2001, 05:24:00 »

I set up a first brief draft for Nybelmar (work of half an hour. Sorry Art, but Nyermersys was just too stressy for me to do it now!:) )

www.freespeech.org/santha...mar(draft)

I made two layers, one for the sea and one for the land. The land is just a shape with a greyvalue of 200, the sea of 128.
The effect I used to smooth out the shore to both sides was just an Inner and an outer Glow (The sea is totally uneffected by this method, so easy replacement of land), finally to get a good border line a simple stroke effect to outline the shape.

Current measurement is 1 pixel = 1 mile. The original map is 2000 pixels high and close to 3000 pixels wide.
(Is this size okay, Art? How big is Santharia in miles?)

Planned is a geographical detailed map with the most important cities, regions, names... . The mystical map section will be completely Art's terrain. He can do them better than me (I need clear lines and detailed Information on my maps, not 'smudging' all the time!;) )

*hehe*

The big map will be divided into smaller ones by some kind of Raster, 250x250 pixels, perhaps, which will then be used to make detailed region maps with smaller towns, roads and rivers and so on?

Evrything clear? Questions, corrections?

Gnufruk, you can use this draft to outline Orcal in bigger detail and where you suppose your forest and your mountain, etc...

Ah, and keep in mind that the Nybelmarian west is still quite shaky, don't know how I will rework the coastline there as the Sketch was very rough there...
Just take the sketch as reference up to what point everything is already detailed enough (at least till the big mountain range)...

Okay, Bye!

Gnufruk the Trader

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2001, 11:31:00 »

Here's the Orcal dingy: www.geocities.com/snytepapir/Nybelmar_explanation.html?991330298566...

Gnufruk

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2001, 12:33:00 »

Looks nice Koldar! You save some time with this method, but you shouldn't neglect a manual rework, because only this can give the map individuality such maps require. E.g. the sea should have different depths on different locations, so the use of an airbrush with a huge brush size can't be wrong I'd say. Also smudging the map in all possible ways is the key for a unique landscape. The more you do manually, the better. Well, you'll find out when you're drawing details, but you're on the right track.

Hmmm... About the shape: Maybe the map is a bit too "round", a piece of a longer pensinsula somewhere (on the very west) might look good also?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2001, 18:22:00 »

To Gnufruk: Comparing your map with the size of Nybelmar I'd like to have Orcal to move more to the west and bring the Green Plains between Orcal and the human empires. Also, as in the original map sketch there's a forest north of the huge mountain range (The Halls of Giants) it might be a good idea to take this forest as the Vulgart forest you need.
Just to bring some distance between the humans and the civilized Goblins to ensure they're not beginning some sort of genocide...

Hope this okay! Last thing: Should the city Orcal be within the fores (I thought so...) or west of it? And can be some adjustments to the city positions be made?(making cities coastal and/or bring them into a more 'strategical' position, e.g. when I make a river?)

To Art: The main idea of this way was to ensure that any details are easily reworked and different layers are really independant to eachother. Sea can be easily finetuned as it is not affected by the landmass... I'll do as you recognied the currently used effects look to steady...
The shape is not final. What I did was just outlining what was already visible on the Map sketch of Chry...?? (sorry can't spell his San.name).
The west needs still much work. Should I create an archipelago having similar features like the eternal void in Aeryllium?
No prob' on making the shape somewhat less round...
Details? Heck, details! That was what was missing! *hehe*
Mountains and rivers will be the first, then cities and forests.

Question about the size: Are 3000x 2000 miles good compared to Santharia? The continent should have similar potential...
As mentioned in its entry only little smaller than Santharia.

Bye and good night!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2001, 15:01:00 »

Size sounds ok, Koldar. Archipelago too, but the land masses shouldn't end in the Etherial Void. Aér'aí'chán is based on the 4 elements: The Wind dominates the north, Fire (Injèrá and dry lands) the south, Water the West, Earth the East - at the East there will be many islands leading directly into the Etherial Void, into the Unreal. I wouldn't like to swap East and West, simply because Yamalquain, the Continent of Isles is located to the very east.

*sigh* We definitely should make a rough world sketch...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2001, 03:56:00 »

Okay, I will make some more land there that ends in another archipelago. In fact the whole continent of Nybelmar would be
surrounded by islands, Wernam and the Ferrath Islands. I'll see, if I can use the Crimson islands (perhaps with some rework?) that we use all already existing maps and don't make all new...

As Nybelmar is already the continent of the Isles (which would be still consistent to the element of water) I would suggest that the east perhaps ends into another continent that ends in a massive mountain range bordering the Eternal Void?
In the west there can be some kind of 'water-related' phenomenom, like wandering swirls or something similiar?
To make it consistent like Aerrylium?

Yamalquain? The first time I herad from this continent, perhaps the mystical westlands? ;)  

In the Northeast lies Cyhalloi or something similar, right?
If you don't care I will work on Nybelmar first! ;)

Some suggestions on our world, though:
Sarvonia and Aerrylium fit quite welll together forming some kind of north<->south Axis. Cyhalloi also will fit into it but I would make a more continuous landmass instead of islands, esspecially when another continent is planned for the east.
Nybelmar will be somewhat displaced but we might find a connection as we have a huge archipelago that might then make a loose connection to one of the other continents or smoothen out the continent's borders...
I don't know where to put Akdor at the moment, putting farther south to get a connection with Nybelmar or more to the east.
Currently these continents look relative isolated at the moment.
some time ago you said that the distances between the continents should be bigger, if that happens we'll need additional landmasses to bring some connection between them and e.g. have only two clusters of continents...

As you're currently thinking about making a worldmap I fear such things have to be taken into account IMO.

Bye.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 6/2/01 1:07:10 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2001, 09:42:00 »

Sounds ok. Just go ahead with your Nybelmar outlines. The Crimson Isles would also fit in this vicinity, so try to use them somewhere.

I'll then take Nybelmar and will try to work the missing continents into an overall map. Will have to discuss Akdor location with Lamertu.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2001, 20:13:00 »

Note:
Etherial Void, not Eternal Void.
Eternal means forever
Etherial means mist-like.....

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: