Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Claws of the Shadow Beast  (Read 18257 times)
Gabriel Iscariot

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 27 July 2005, 13:12:00 »

Claws of the Shadow Beast

Appetence: The Claws of the Shadow Beast appear as a set of plain, black leather gloves. They have an almost unnatural sheen. Under close examination one may notice that the tips of the fingers are adorned with slight blades that that they come to a point at the end of the fingers. However, the blades appear the same as the rest of the glove, as if they were made of overly shiny leather.

Abilities: The Claws of the Shadow Beast have multiple enchantments placed upon it giving many powers to the wearer. The perfectly sharp claws have been honed by generations of Coorhem blacksmiths and are enchanted to stay sharp in almost any case; only a very powerful mage could dull the blades. They were designed originally to only give the wearer mundane claws. The sharpening enchantment was placed upon them later. Another enchantment was placed upon the gloves without the agreement of the family, this is the power that truly gives the gloves there name. This enchantment makes the wearer grow fangs and all their teeth sharpen slightly. However with this gift comes a curse, blood thirst, the need to drink the blood of another creature, preferably living though any blood will do in a pinch. This thirst must be appeased once a week or the enchanted person suffers unliftable fatigue and death in one month of not feeding. The fangs and blood thirst do not lift on the removal of the gloves. Another curse the gloves present is a love for the darkness and a weakness for the day. The man who enchanted them loved the night and believed that all should walk the night rather than the day. He placed the curse of sun weakness on anyone and everyone he could and wasted not time putting the curse on the gloves.

History/Origin: The Claws of the Shadow Beast have been the treasure of a Coorhem family for generations. The use of the claws, weather in open war, as a back up incase magic fails, or as an assassination tool, varies between owners. Some other Coorhem know of the claws and wish to acquire them, their attempts to seize the artifact has been in vain.

An ancient assassin of the dark elf family named Eathen was the first to create the gloves making the claws and taking a job from an evil mage to get him to imbue them so that the claws are disguised as part of the glove. After three generations in the family line the claws had been dulled many times and the family hunted down a powerful mage and forced him to enchant the claws to remain eternally sharp.

Twelve generations later a mage of the Ak'vath'rhim, who had managed to acquire the artifact, decided to enchant them with more beastly powers. He had sailed for Sarvonia, killed the owner of the claws and fled home where he planned to enchant them. He was a twisted mage named Damian who looked upon the gloves as too subtle and quaint. He enchanted them to give the wearer fangs and also manifests a powerful blood thirst inside the. On a nasty binge he also enchanted them so that this effect did not stop or fade when the wearer removed them. He also placed a curse of daytime weakness on the gloves that would not fade either; this did not affect him or his kin as they already have a weakness for the light.

A member of the dark elf family that had originally held the claws snuck into Sarvonia and managed to assassinate Damian. Fleeing back to his home he was ambushed by another member of the family and killed.

The gloves are used in battle as simple claws, slashing mostly at vital veins or the throat the wearer can do considerable damage. The claws point and slight blade makes it possible for even an only slightly strong wearer to plunge their hand deep into an opponents flesh.

They are currently worn by the mercenary Gabriel who is the great, great, great grandson of Damian’s ambusher, though Damian’s descendent who is named after him is currently seeking them as well as Gabriel’s older brother Jason.

Edited by: Gabriel Iscariot at: 8/3/05 22:10
Fluffy Ramblers

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2005, 15:29:00 »

I excuse myself for not having time to read the whole entry, however, I would object against using the name "Iscariot". Let's leave it where it belongs.

-----
The mouse flies!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2005, 16:01:00 »

Oh hello Gabriel!

A first remark: As Fluffy already pointed out - the name Iscariot  should not be used on the site out of religious reasons (as a char it was not as important than as entry)

Ok, then let‘s start:

1.Please use a spellchecker ! You want to have other people „review it, make coments when needed and aprove it in a generaly short amount of time“ - then please be polite and make it easier for them.  

2.  Please use the guide for designing weapons.
p223.ezboard.com/fsanthar...=259.topic

3.You need to explain, how the magic works (I can‘t), which might be problematic, for it is Nybelmar magic, which is not yet defined, if I didn‘t miss something.Maybe Ximaxian magic could give it a try as well.

A general note: An entry on the site does not mean, that your char is allowed to use them. If we think, that they make you too powerfull, we can't allow them - but let's see.

Sorry, it is midnight here, run out of time for today!

Here is my perposal for an artifact used by my charecter Gabreil Iscariot. Please review it, make coments when needed and aprove it in a generaly short amount of time as i have been working on this charecter for amost a week now...

Claws of the Iscariot Beast

Appetence: The Claws of the Iscariot Beast appear as a set of plain, black leather gloves. They have an almost unnatural sheen. Under close examination one may notice that the tips of the fingers are adorned with slight blades that that they come to a point at the end of the fingers. However, the blades appear the same as the rest of the glove, as if they were made of overly shiny leather.

Abilities: The Claws of the Iscariot Beast have multiple enchantments placed upon it giving many powers to the wearer. However, the powers are only given to a member of the Iscariot family. The perfectly sharp claws have been honed by generations of Coorhem blacksmiths and are enchanted to stay sharp in almost any case; only a very powerful mage could dull the blades. They were designed originally to only give the wearer exceptional speed, a gift that still is granted by the gloves, and mundane claws. The sharpening enchantment was placed upon them later. Another enchantment was placed upon the gloves without the general agreement of the family, this is the power that truly gives the gloves there name. This enchantment makes the wearer grow fangs and all their teeth sharpen slightly. However with this gift comes a curse, blood thirst, the need to drink the blood of another creature, preferably living though any blood will do in a pinch. This thirst must be appeased once a week or the enchanted Iscariot suffers unliftable fatigue and death in one month of not feeding. The fangs and blood thirst do not lift on the removal of the gloves. Another curse the gloves present is that all enchanting was done in the darkness of night the essence of he darkness crept into the gloves and an Iscariot cursed with blood thirst also becomes burned and blinded by the sun. Not enough to cause lasting damage to the person but enough to be thoroughly uncomfortable and to seriously impair vision even in indirect sun light.

History/Origin: The Claws of the Iscariot Beast have been the treasure of the Iscariot family for generations. If the family produces an exceptional mage his first duty to the family is to help advance the claws. The use of the claws, weather in open war, as a back up incase magic fails, or as an assassination tool, varies between owners. Some other Coorhem know of the claws and wish to acquire them, their attempts to seize the artifact has been in vain. However, the claws are keyed to the Iscariot blood line and will not function beyond mundane use for any other. For an Iscariot, however, the gloves hold wondrous power. An ancient mage of the Iscariot family named Eathen was the first to create the gloves; he enchanted them to give a wearing Iscariot exceptional speed and also created the claws. After three generations in the Iscariot line the claws had been dulled many times and a new mage who had the gloves in his possession at the time enchanted them to remain eternally sharp, again keying the power for only an Iscariot. Twelve generations later another mage of the Iscariots decided to enchant them with more beastly powers. He was a twisted mage named Damian who looked upon the gloves as too subtle and quaint. He enchanted them to give the wearer fangs and also manifests a powerful blood thirst inside the. On a nasty binge he also enchanted them so that this effect did not stop or fade when the wearer removed them, though this power and curse, as well, were keyed to the Iscariot blood line. The gloves are used in battle as simple claws, slashing mostly at vital veins or the throat the wearer can do considerable damage. The claws point and slight blade makes it possible for even an only slightly strong wearer to plunge their hand deep into an opponents flesh. They are currently worn by the mercenary Gabriel, though Damian’s descendent who is named after him is currently seeking them as well as Gabriel’s older brother Jason.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2005, 16:40:00 »

If you want help with Ximaxian magic, that's essentially what I'm here for, but you need to sort of work that out first.

Coorhem are warriors, not mages. You're not going to be able to find enough magi in your clan, maybe even the tribe, to make something like this. You require at least a high-level wind mage and a high-level earth mage, or a Xeua mage, which you probably aren't going to find in the dark elf community--and because of the kind of magic you require, not even the Iferhem are of much use to you.

Your desire to have this weapon cause bloodthirst is going to be pretty difficult, because that's a change in carall that I don't really know how to engender in an individual by way of magic. It would probably have something to do with altering the carall to somehow make it more akin to a animal that lives off the blood of others, which besides maybe a bat or someone of the Blood Eye Cult, I don't know what would be.

I'll think about it and get back to you.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Fluffy Ramblers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2005, 21:33:00 »

I don't want to be misunderstood here: I don't think the name is in any way offending - just as much as AC/DC are - but you would you write a fantasy story with a main character called Frodo?

-----
The mouse flies!

Gabriel Iscariot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2005, 12:43:00 »

HELLO ALL!!! I have a few points I would like to mention.

Let’s start with the name Iscariot: Yes it is mentioned in the Bible, however, according to "The Oxford Companion to the Bible" the reference in the bible is simply a title meaning "man from Kerioth," Judas having come from said place. My character obviously did not nor did his ancestors but I don’t see why the name couldn’t have come from some other ancient family reference or however last names develop, I could think up some reason if you would like. As for it being a rip off on a name, I disagree, if a name is taken from a fictitious text like "Lord of the Rings" I would agree, but from text like the bible, (I would like to state a disclaimer that this is not meant to offend anybody) historical/mythological text a name reference should not be restricted. I would like to point out the first three words of the classic novel "Moby Dick" are "Call me Ishmael" and Ishmael is from the bible as well.

Also, on the topic of my artifact I was told in my character CD that I am not required to name the schools of magic involved in the creation process. If this is false and you are going to make me get that detailed (I notice that this was not required in the two artifacts I was sent as examples) then so be it. Also, on the format level I just fallow that of the artifact called The Hearth of Daoinis.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2005, 12:49:00 »

There's no Kerioth in Santharia, and also no convention that "Iscariot" means "man from Kerioth", only the fact that the name itself is irritating for its very obvious connotations it implies (explicitely or implicitely, whatever) - and I fear that's why the name itself doesn't work here in Santharia. Finding another name shouldn't be much of a problem, or?

Exact magical details aren't really required, providing you can describe it well:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/27/05 20:51

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2005, 12:55:00 »

Gabriel, you were sent examples, but all entries are not the same. You were told, before beginning this process, that "you need to actually describe the magic behind the artifact which, in most cases, is more trouble than most are worth." It was also recommended that you "drop the artifact, because the work involved is pretty tough."

Yes, for this artifact, I am requesting you get that detailed in magic. This is a very, very powerful artifact here, and magic here has been designed to not only explain artifacts that had supernatural qualities, but also temper the power of the artifact so nothing was too powerful without a lot of trouble. You have a powerful artifact, so building it the way you want to is going to require a lot of work on your part.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Gabriel Iscariot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2005, 13:31:00 »

Ok fine, I see I got the big guns pulled on me. I can’t argue now can I? So I have to make to delete this account and make an entirely new account? I have to say, this place has a well put together format and on top of it Administrators, but that is lame. At least you could have told me sooner so I could delete this account before I made a bunch of posts with it and all. This is going to be the third time I have to delete my account and make a new one; I must say that is EXTREMEly cracktastic. This is getting a wee bit ridiculous. I made a character name, made an entry form, got a bunch of comments and work for a hella' long time to make him acceptable, and made a description for his artifact that is tied into his story. Then I was told I have to do more than most people to even use my characters items which is tied so deeply into his story and I have to change my characters name and you have so far, as far as I have seen, been really strict about making sure a characters name is the same as their user name which means I have to either delete this account and make another or make a new e mail address. This is getting depressing...:(  

Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2005, 13:37:00 »

You don't have to delete your account. There is nothing wrong with your character being named Iscariot. What they were talking about was the name of your artifact. The name of your artifact matters because it will go up on the main site. Just change the name of the articact and you'll be fine.;)  

Erian Melor~The spark of life rests upon the edge of a knife.
~Elf Age Calculator
~Measures Converter

Gabriel Iscariot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2005, 13:44:00 »

Then do i have to not mention the name Iscariot in my arifact discription as well? That may be tricky if i do...

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2005, 13:46:00 »

You don't have to change your name for the RPG board, just for the Dev-board.
And to your item - it is far too strong for your RPG-char anyway what I have seen going through it quickly.

Then, as I mentioned above - I would prefer to not restrict this artefact to your bloodline, but make it a rare, but general item which can be used by anybody. An item only used by one bloodline in Nybelmar wouldn't have made its way to the compendium in New-Santhala - for nobody is interested in what happens in an fairly unknown tribe far away.

To bring it to the point - the RPG board is secondary to the main developement board. We want to create a world, and the RPG is a nice addition.

Your item is as a general item a great idea which adds to the whole, as an item restricted to a single blood line - boring.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Gabriel Iscariot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2005, 14:19:00 »

My previous question was not answered, do i have to refrain from mentioning my charecters last name in my arifact discription or do i just need to change to name of the artifact? If the artifact name is all that is required to change i fixed it and am about to edit the first post with the new version.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2005, 14:42:00 »

Talia's suggestion was to make the artifact independent from the name "Iscariot". If you do so, then you don't have to mention "Iscariot" in the entry, but can then perhaps write this part in your character description on how your family came into the possession of the artifact etc. So you can still use your current RPG character name, just keep it at the RPG board and it should be fine:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gabriel Iscariot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2005, 14:49:00 »

What if i just dont mention the name Iscariot? I am about to get pulled off the comuter but i have an idea and will put it up a.s.a.p. I dont know if i can get it up now but it should be up by the end of the night.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]